Shuriken Fix

Thunder_Gr

Hello, I have been reading the forums for sometime and I finally decided to try and mod the game in order to fix the Shuriken problem. I am one of those that v1.2 did not fix the problem, and I think it did worth it.

Now that I can use the shurikens in my game, I thought that some people may be interested in having the tweak, despite the fact that this game is old now.

What follows is a description of what I have done, so that you can see if you'd like it.

As already observed, the shurikens and browling knifes are almost identical in the throwing mode, except that the Shuriken has a radious. Unfortunatelly, removing the radious did not fix the problem. Further checks showed that the browling knife is also bugged when thrown.

The weapons do throw normally, but they do no damage whatsoever.

So, what I did was: I gave the Shuriken a range record with the appropriate damage and range.

I created another item called shuriken, that acts as ammo to the normal shuriken.

I gave the normal Shuriken a firearm record that uses the new shuriken as ammo.

Capacity 100. Consumption 5.This means you throw 5 Shurikens at a time, but they are also produced in packs of 5, as they are ment to.

All shurikens have the same requirements for production, so all is normal.

I tested it. It works as it should. Damage done is blade.

As a result, the Commando can throw Shurikens as long as he has them in inventory.

The only awkward thing is that the player(me and anyone else interested) has to manufacture one normal(Master) Shuriken for each commando, first. Then can manufacture the throwing shurikens(ammo) to use Shurikens in game. The Ammo shurikens are manufactured in the basic weapons factory as normal.

I prefer this solution rather than no solution. If anyone thinks like I do, then this fix is for you.

I applied the same procedure for throwing knives and gave them a melee mode, as they should. They now work fine.

Just in case someone wonders, the animations and all are as they should. It does not look like a ranged weapon throwing Shurikens/Knives. The records give the Master Shuriken/Knife a ranged weapon's abilities, but the effects and animations are kept of the throwing weapon. I can say I was amazed it could happen without breaking anything, and this may be used to fix the ambidextrous mellee also.

You can get the file here.

A French LocalizationPack.vfs is now available here. Translation by ERISS.

Update. I also fixed the throwing knives. They now have a melee mode, as they should, also.

If anyone can tell me if attachments are not allowed in this forum or it is just that I am new in this type of forums and can tell me the way to do it, I would really appreciate it.

Yup - if you click the Add Reply button (not the Fast Reply) there would be an Attachments section beneath the box where you write your message. You can add files that way, though I believe there may be size limitations.

Another alternative would be to upload them to our Files section ( www.strategycore.co.uk/files ). That way though you do have to wait a short while for a member of staff to approve the file upload before it's viewable.

If this topic was in the UFO Modding forum, you probably would be able to upload a file to the forums yourself. But in this particular forum we do not have it enabled. Anyhow, I approved your Shuriken Fix in the files section so it should be visible now. Linky. :laugh:

- Zombie

That means the game become english.. How to keep the game language?

(but letting only the fix in english)

And, how to desinstall?: Just by removing the files? Does it give back the past game language? I hesitate trying this fixmod.

If you need to keep the original language, you have to modify localizationpack.vfs by yourself. Directions on how to do this are in the .zip file.

You just need localizationpack.vfs, in order to have the description for the Shurikens/Knives displayed on the relevant screens. If you don't mind having shortname:1313 displayed instead(e.g. for test purposes), not using the modded localizationpack.vfs will not cause you any problems. It is mostely edited for cosmetic purposes and for keeping the feeling of the game.

Deinstalling any UFO:AS mod is as simple as removing the mod's files and restoring the original localizationpack.vfs, and it does restore the oridinal texts and descriptions.

If you wish, I could create a localizationpack.vfs for your language, provided that you can e-mail me your localizationpack.vfs file.

Yup, it did. Though it was stuffed in the TFTD section for some reason... I moved it to the correct location though. It can be found here. :D

Sorry it took so long to validate the file. I rarely check the files section everyday since we don't have many uploads anymore. If you guys want something immediate, just drop me (or Slaughter) a PM and it should get done quicker. Or if you want, you could post in the Your Views forum. I check that everyday. :laugh:

- Zombie

• 4 weeks later...
in order to fix the Shuriken problem

I gave the Shuriken a range record with the appropriate damage and range.

I created another item called shuriken, that acts as ammo to the normal shuriken.

I gave the normal Shuriken a firearm record that uses the new shuriken as ammo.

Capacity 100. Consumption 5.This means you throw 5 Shurikens at a time, but they are also produced in packs of 5, as they are ment to. Damage done is blade.

As a result, the Commando can throw Shurikens as long as he has them in inventory.

The only awkward thing is that the player has to manufacture one normal(Master) Shuriken for each commando, first. Then can manufacture the throwing shurikens(ammo) to use Shurikens in game.

I applied the same procedure for throwing knives and gave them a melee mode, as they should.

As I was used to not throwing shurikens and knives, for now I only use the fix in order to use the Throwing Knife as a melee one! (like the Browning), as it is said in the shown stats that the Throwing one, when well used, does more damage than the Browning (Is that true?).

Then, the new problem is that, when many use the Throwing in a squad, the knife must have many 'ammos' (100 for each member!), else I must remove ammos from one to share among those having none: That's some boring logistics (and Knife ammo is long to be produced).

What is the Consuption of the Throwing Knife? If that is 1 (and not 5 as the Shurikens), the Capacity has to be 20 (not 100): The logistic will then be good.

As a meaning of some realism, if think Shuriken capacity would be 30 (and hey, it take only an inventory square). Knife capacity, if Consuption is 1, would be 8.

As I was used to not throwing shurikens and knives, for now I only use the fix in order to use the Throwing Knife as a melee one! (like the Browning), as it is said in the shown stats that the Throwing one, when well used, does more damage than the Browning (Is that true?).

The original text said that the throwing knife does less melee damage than the browning knife, but more throwing damage than the Shuriken, at the expense of range. This is what I have done.

Then, the new problem is that, when many use the Throwing in a squad, the knife must have many 'ammos' (100 for each member!), else I must remove ammos from one to share among those having none: That's some boring logistics (and Knife ammo is long to be produced).

Consider the "ammo" to be an actual knife. It is like tossing your extra knives to the fellow soldier. You only expend ammo if you actually throw the knife, not if you use it in melee... I have tested that and it works as it should.

What is the Consuption of the Throwing Knife? If that is 1 (and not 5 as the Shurikens), the Capacity has to be 20 (not 100): The logistic will then be good.

It is 1, and it takes 2 inventory squares for each one. The capacity is there to compensate for the inability to have a reload time less than 1 second in the game. The intention of the designers where for the knives and Shurikens to have a very short reload time. This would work for selfammo items, but not for actual ammo. The Shurikens have an area target value, while the knives don't(IIRC), and this is why the consumption for the Shuriken is 5. This, and the fact that it was the intention of the original designers to be this way.

As a meaning of some realism, if think Shuriken capacity would be 30 (and hey, it take only an inventory square). Knife capacity, if Consuption is 1, would be 8.

If I could only figuer a way to make reload times less than 1 sec I would have it so that Shurikens have a capacity of 5 and Knives a capacity of 1(That was what I had done in the first place, before I discovered I cannot reduce reload times to something less than 1 second).

The original text said that the throwing knife does less melee damage than the browning knife, but more throwing damage than the Shuriken, at the expense of range. This is what I have done.

About the fluff text, yes you're right.

But I meant the ingame shown stats: The Browning has a fixed damage, as the Thrown has a less fixed damage, but also melee damages using Short Range ability: So, with a good S.Range abiblity, the shown total damage of the Throwing Knife is greater than the Browning one.

Consider the "ammo" to be an actual knife. It is like tossing your extra knives to the fellow soldier. You only expend ammo if you actually throw the knife, not if you use it in melee... I have tested that and it works as it should.

I know. I talked about something else: Imagine the case where all your 7 squad soldiers use the Throwing Knife. When you give them these, you must have at least 601 ammo knives!! Else, if not, the lasts given soldiers will have an 'empty' useless knife (you then must manually share the ammos).

About the fluff text, yes you're right.

But I meant the ingame shown stats: The Browning has a fixed damage, as the Thrown has a less fixed damage, but also melee damages using Short Range ability: So, with a good S.Range abiblity, the shown total damage of the Throwing Knife is greater than the Browning one.

How can this be? If the close combat ability gives bonuses to the Throwing knife, it should also give bonuses to the Browning knife, aslo, making it always have more melee damage than the Throwing knife on the same soldier.

I know. I talked about something else: Imagine the case where all your 7 squad soldiers use the Throwing Knife. When you give them these, you must have at least 601 ammo knives!! Else, if not, the lasts given soldiers will have an 'empty' useless knife (you then must manually share the ammos).

Well, you could share the knives before going to battle. Let's say that you didn't use the fix. Do you think you would ever give 100 throwing knives to each soldier? First of all, it is unlikely you could be able to carry that many. So, consider micromanaging an antidote for abusing the compromises I had to make for keeping the reload times low :laugh:.

If the close combat ability gives bonuses to the Throwing knife, it should also give bonuses to the Browning knife, aslo, making it always have more melee damage than the Throwing knife on the same soldier.

You're right: I tested on some unconscious mutant:

Melee damages: Throwing/Browning:

303/455, or 78/117

Well, you could share the knives before going to battle.

So, I only use Browning knives. Hum, I'll test Shuriken and THROWING Knifes too, as at now the fix is no use for me lol. Maybe I will discover these Commando weapons are advantageous :laugh:

• 1 year later...