Transmission Resolvers and Radars

Yxklyx

Once you have the Transmission Reslover constructed there is no more need for the other radar systems. You can safely remove them to free up space for other modules. :laugh:

- Zombie

That's what I originally thought but I've seen posts say otherwise. Has anyone done any empirical tests? Also, things might have changed between XCOM and TFTD.

Basically the data files in TFTD list that the Transmission Resolver has a detection rate of 100%. (The numbers are identical to those found in Enemy Unknown as well). So it should be safe to say nothing changed. :laugh:

- Zombie

But isn't there a Range involved as well? Perhaps the radars extend the detection Range.

*nods* Yes, there is also a detection range for each sonar/resolver facility. The numbers are a little bit different from EU, but the function should still be the same: you can only detect as far out as the one with the longest range. It's just that if you build a Standard and Wide Array sonar at a base, the detection percentages are increased within that radius. The Transmission Resolver is 100% accurate within its radius and trumps the other conventional types. Does that make sense? What I'm trying to say is that the detection percentages combine with regards to different radar types (sometimes) but they never combine detection range. :laugh:

- Zombie

Each base has three sonar types. Short, long and transmission resolver. Each have their own set detection and tracking radius around the base. The ranges are fixed and extra facilities won't extend this range (despite what the base info screen says - those are just facility counters).

A small sonar will add 10 to Short, a large sonar will had 20 to short and 20 to long. Having both of them will give you 30 short and 20 long. This means 20% chance of detecting something at every half hour interval within the long radius and 30% in the short radius. Actually short detection is vastly improved as you'll be be pinging at 30% and 20%.

Only one facility of each type will benefit the base, extra facilities aren't necessary except for base layout purposes.

The transmission resolver adds 100 to the base's Transmission Resolver stat. If combined with the other two sonar, you'd get TR:100, Long: 20, Short:30. Since the Transmission resolver's detection radius is greater than long and short, and it has 100% USO detection every time it does a sonar ping at the half hour intervals. This means that USOs will rarely get spotted in the long and short circles. Even if a USO does manage to break into Long or Short ranges between sonar pings, the TR will get them. This makes the two older facilities redundant.

- NKF

• 6 months later...
  • 3 years later...

XcomUtil doesn't affect sonar. Extender has a tweak which makes it so that having extra short/long range sonars will increase your chance of detecting enemy subs in their respective scanning zones (normally, having more then one of each is useless).

The Transmission Resolver still has much better coverage then the other two scanners combined and each sweep has a 100% chance of picking up any subs that fall into its range. Hence it still makes any other scanners you've built completely redundant.

The same applies to the UFO:EU versions of the facilities.

Another minor tip you may already be aware of, your craft have their own short-range sonar systems, and if set to patrol where you "think" aliens may be will often find them.

They work the same, but the detection range is fairly low. I would only try to locate enemy subs with them if those subs had just wandered out of range of my base's scanners and my subs were already half-way out there (that is to say, when I'm near certain there's actually something to find). Otherwise, the only thing they're likely to pick up are alien bases (assuming there are any around).