Cookie's No-PK Mod

Cookie

Don't like PKs? Want them gone? Well, ask and ye shall receive!

Form the Readme:

Panzerkliens (PKs) are probably the most controversial (some would say hated) aspect of the Silent Storm games. This mod attempts to correct this by removing PKs from the game, and replacing them with regular bad guys.

Please note - the game was designed with PKs in mind, so simply replacing PKs with regular soldiers (as this mod does) will affect game balance, making the game somewhat easier to beat. Sorry, no getting around that.

Mod Effects - Specifically this mod replaces all PKs with Terrorist "Super Soldiers" that have Heavy Body Armor, and various heavy weapons. (MGs, RPGs, Sniper Rifles, Grenades, etc.)

This is a S3 Mod, but I do plan on doing a S2 version. (Ask nicely, and I might even do one quickly.)

Again, if you find any bugs, or other issues, pleas let me know, and I'll fix it.

<<DOWNLOAD S3 VERSION HERE>>

Given how much PKs are hated, making an S2 version of this mod is my next priority. Should see something in a week or so...

Hated? They're great! You can really tear up the map just using three of them. And when you have a game with ragdoll bodies, and full destruction, what would reason would you play it for other than to just cause as much destruction as possible?

Thums... Thums... Screek... Bruddadudda-Kabooka!! I liked Panzerbastards :lovetammy: (and I still do)

I think those are like 'tanks' to destroy - 'seek&destroy a moving panzer' element for the game... But I didn't like to use those because it could just break all my RPG-plans for characters. I think Sentinels made a mistake in one thing - some missions design try to force gamer to use panzerkleins.

I know most gamers didn't like PKs at all...

I don't really hate them, though I think there were very poorly designed for this game. They're all but indestructable except for a few weapons. They cause real problems on many levels because the game won't let them get close to one another, so this cause some pathing issues.

I don't really hate them, though I think there were very poorly designed for this game. They're all but indestructable except for a few weapons. They cause real problems on many levels because the game won't let them get close to one another, so this cause some pathing issues.

Actually, I used an AVS36 against them and it knocked it out in about 4 shots or so. :lovetammy:

This thread isn't here to argue whether PKs suck / don't suck. It's here to present people with options.

The fact is, is that there are several people (myself included) who feel that PKs ruin the entire point of playing such a cool strategy / tactics game, since PKs require neither to win.

In my own case, I couldn't even bring myself to finish the Berger Factory mission because I hated them so much.

And considering the poor distribution this game got, having a Mod available that would give many people like myself the desire to give S2 / S3 a second look was all the motivation I needed to create it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, you asked, so here it is, an S2 version of Cookie's No-PK Mod.

This mod is the same as the S3 version in that it removes PKs and replaces them with regular soldiers. (Minus the Body Armor in the S2 version.) It also removes all PK-related items from the Base Inventory.

I also attempted to replace all PK-related items found in chests, but I'm having some issue with that. Look for a fix in the future. (This goes for the S3 version as well.)

Finally, I removed the BHLG laser gun for obvious reasons. (In the case where it was carried by terrorists, I simply replaced it with another weapon.)

*Disclaimer* - This hasn't been fully tested, since I haven't beaten the game yet. So, if you find issues, or a PK I missed, just let me know, and I'll fix it ASAP.

<<DOWNLOAD HERE>>

• 2 years later...
i can't get this mod to work.

i belive i have it installed right, but i fight through to the traitor mission in my new campaign and wham! panzerkleines.

it's in the custom game thing as an activated feature, but it does not seem to work.

Did you use the AddMod tool to add it to the savegame? (tool in our files section, lined from the download here) It's needed to make it work with savegames I believe. Not even sure it can be added to a game in progress though.

Did you use the AddMod tool to add it to the savegame? (tool in our files section, lined from the download here) It's needed to make it work with savegames I believe. Not even sure it can be added to a game in progress though.

i think i did that...needs to be added to a savegame though? not just starting a new game when i think i have the mod installed?

If the mod affects to scenario missions, like this on does, only way to play it properly is to add the mod from the start, via custom game screen. When starting S2/S3 campaign, game creates all maps which are going to be used, so you can't change them later with AddMod tool, only values, strings and random encounters can be modified.

... at least so I assume... :laugh:

If the mod affects to scenario missions, like this on does, only way to play it properly is to add the mod from the start, via custom game screen. When starting S2/S3 campaign, game creates all maps which are going to be used, so you can't change them later with AddMod tool, only values, strings and random encounters can be modified.

... at least so I assume... :laugh:

huh...i thought that was what i had done...looks like i am going to play through AGAIN

• 2 weeks later...
huh...i thought that was what i had done...looks like i am going to play through AGAIN

yeah deffinately something wrong here then. i activated the mod when i started and re-activated it each time i started up the game again, from the beginning and using the custom game tool.

samey-same. traitor mission=panzerklines

to clarify; this mod does REPLACE the PKs with tough well armed soldiers? not just a new model under a PK skin?

anyway here is what i did.

downloaded mod

unpacked mod to mod file

added mod features to game through custom game tool

played through, again

encountered PKs

so two questions:

1. what am i still doing wrong?

2. is there anyway to tell short of playing through if the mod is working? shoudl for instance, all PK weapons be gone from the game? IE/no LZ energy gun, now vickers HMG?

• 1 year later...

Has anyone completed the S2 version of this mod with the Axis?

I ask because I'm on the Organization's Warehouse mission. I've cleaned out the warehouse, but I'm told I can't leave without critical information, but I've found two pieces of info already. Checking the only FAQ on gamefaqs indicates that the Axis should only need two info pieces.

The only other thing I can think of is that since this mission was supposed to have Panzerkleins, I'm missing something with them.

I really want to like Silent Storm, but it keeps pushing me away like this.

• 3 weeks later...

I tried to complete the S2 version as the Allies. I only encountered a problem in the last mission: the Organization main base. The last mission refused to load, and crashed the game whenever I tried to play it.

Has anyone completed the S2 version of this mod with the Axis?

I don't know what went wrong with yours, but I could finish the warehouse mission without problems. Have you got a save before you started the level and another mission to play? Try finishing everything else before starting the warehouse.

• 4 years later...