Odd mission

Aralez

Had a weird tactical mission today. I'm using the latest Xcomutil and the altered UFO layouts and shapes, the target was a downed scout UFO. First i had some partially freefloaating buildings (ok, the usual Xcom problem, where a house "floats" albeit the first floor does not exist any longer) of which i made two screenshots:

https://images6.pictiger.com/thumbs/ce/fc8276bb5372ebc40d9a9fa2c9a142ce.th.jpghttps://images6.pictiger.com/thumbs/aa/6b4d497ee38940f21f4c36db5416ddaa.th.jpg

But that was not the problem. The interesting thing was: There was no UFO! See for yourself:

https://images6.pictiger.com/thumbs/9e/a9ba0d7fb5591e237a5932afc4a1d09e.th.jpghttps://images6.pictiger.com/thumbs/99/27a5ce7cac6a97f2424215fc56efbe99.th.jpg

https://images6.pictiger.com/thumbs/bc/c0ed6ce996012ba0de2fa37cbaae59bc.th.jpg

End of the mission after the single Muton on that map was killed:

https://images6.pictiger.com/thumbs/0f/8aa2ac5e26c08436b101376f3ae5940f.th.jpg

He had a heavy plasma with him (no ammo was brought back from the mission, though) and maybe a mind-probe. Not absolutely sure about the mind-probe, maybe i already it from another mission.

(Q)edit: Does the muton corpse counts as an object, too? If yes -> Than he had the HeavyPlasma only

This is no bug-report, i don't want anything changed, i only thought: "What a surprising mission! Might be worth a post" (:

Was this a small scout? I've always had the small scout map munged with Xcomutil's UFO and map picker/randomiser. Basically, it's never there. It returns to normal when I set XComutil up to do as little changes to the maps as possible (and restoring the small scout's map and tab files from my unmodified second copy of the game).

- NKF

NKF, i sadly don't remember the size of the UFO, however i think it was the second smallest, not the mini-scout.

Edit: I was wrong, i found this in the Xcomutil.log:

1999.08.08 18:01, Leaving Combat

Mission Successful: Skyranger vs Small Scout in Farm Terrain

XCOM saved game at Superhuman difficulty level (EXP:4) with $4103153

Bases: Hawaii, Africa, Brasil, Siberia, Europe, Antarctica

Probable Base of Origin for Combat: Hawaii

Human/Pers Armor: 10

Tank: 1, Wounded: 1

Muton: 1, Wounded: 1, Stunned: 1

Updating Research Progress:

(Q): Do Mutons use mind-probes?

@chocolatemouse: Yes, Xcom is one of my personal all-time-classic. And now with the latest Xcomutil it is even better. Nose kiss to you, too (:

I think the mind probe comes standard with the small-scout missions. But I'm wondering why the alien doesn't have a spare clip. Most weapon setups allow for at least one spare. Perhaps not with the scout.

The aliens don't know how to use the mind probe. It's not needed, as the AI is omniscient and knows all - well knows all it about your soldiers. It's only there for you to capture. Sort of like TFTD's drills.

Would've been nice if the aliens used the device randomly just for the look of the thing. A dummy action, so to say. Oh, and to sap 50% of their TUs in one shot. (:

- NKF

My map editer always crashed when it tried to load XcomUtil's version of the small scout. Never bothered to find out why, I just restored the original map files.
Two MCD records instead of twenty is what does it -- it throws off everything after the small UFO tileset in loading.

I haven't checked if this is a response to a real problem (is there some map combination that goes above 255 MCD tiles with XCOMUtil).

BB, i want to, but i don't know which MAP file i have to replace...

XcomUtil mad a backup folder, but the names of the files don't tell me anything. (:

The terrain problem has to be fixed. The relevant map file itself wasn't altered.

In the terrain folder, ufo1.xcu backs up ufo1.mcd .

Concerning the discussion about xcomutil and the Small Scout, this is what Scott T. Jones has to say about it in the documentation of his editor:

Many of the terror sites would not load with an alien ship on the map, due to size constraints in the symbol table. To handle those cases, I created the NOSHIP files to replace the smallest ships. The NOSHIP files use very little of the symbol table, thus allowing the additional terrains to be used. As a result, I now prompt for terrain first and prompt for the ship only if one is allowed for that terrain. To enable these NOSHIP files, I had to completely remove the smallest ships from the game, the Small Scout and the Survey Ship. Once the NOSHIP files have been created these ships can only be restored manually. However, since they are rarely seen and the NOSHIP files cause no harm, I am not concerned with this problem. If you really want to see them, all you have to do is enable prompting and I will temporarily replace them for one battle. However, if you save this battle and reload it, there is no way for me to detect this and the floorplan of the ship will be corrupted.

With that solved, onwards.

I think the mind probe comes standard with the small-scout missions. But I'm wondering why the alien doesn't have a spare clip. Most weapon setups allow for at least one spare. Perhaps not with the scout.

Nope, the Mind Probe isn't a standard loadout for aliens on the Small Scout. I get aliens carrying nothing but weapons on the Small Scout frequently. About the issue of spare clips, at least on the easier difficulty settings the aliens hardly ever carry them early on. Later, they start to carry more clips. Presumably, this is to create intentional ammo shortages for the plasma-based weapons early in a campaign. On higher difficulty levels and later in th game, aliens sometimes carry multiple clips/grenades/bombs. Haven't really got around to testing this fully though. Still waiting for BB to incorporate weapon loadouts for aliens into his logger. (:

- Zombie

Heheh, I'm getting there, I'm getting there... Still trying to work out the fastest way to do it. (:

What's this about a Survey Ship? Does he mean Abduction or Harvestor? (:

There are extra ships "hidden" in the game files, but since there aren't matching MCD arrays to go with them (best I can make out), I doubt he means one of those.