UFO: Extraterrestrials is Here!

baby arm

I think I am correct in saying the Matrix Games download for this game is unfortunately unavailable for European customers.

As I post this I am currently downloading the game from Gamer's Gate. I'm pleased to report download speed seems excellent. 30% after about 15 mins.

Soon... :D

I paid and played for about an hour last night. It really is excellent for a small development group, and it's a strong tribute to Xcom. It's solid graphically, and it really hasn't changed anything from the original, which is probably a good idea given the original's playability.

What's your bandwidth?

Good question. I'm using BT Broadband so somewhere up to 8Mb I think.

Anyway the game is excellent. I've just had to pull myself away from it to grab a bite to eat. It really has that XCOM atmosphere and magnetism to play 'just one more mission'. Lol, I think to myself, I'll just sort out my strategic planning before I save, and oh, up pops one more mission... :D

Seem like a bad idea to write the GamersGate downloader in .net. Now well, I downloaded the game in less than an hour :D. I thought they were working with a .net port to linux? (as the source is available from what I understand)

Source available usable? Hardly. We're talking about microsoft here. See-but-don't-touch, if at all.

.NET 1.x could've worked, as Mono can handle that.

And neither Wine nor Cedega can install the native .net 2.0 download either. Sigh. I'm stuck.

Argh. Why not do as the banks do, and stick to Java? If it's secure enough for internet banking, it should be good enough for a internet gaming store...

What does matrixgames do? A plain login-via-https-and-download-in-browser? Curiously sane, if so... Ah well. I've better things to do than try to fool matrixgames into thinking I'm a misplaced alaskan. Laphroaig beckons.

Edited by Knan

Yeah, I think both Matrix and GamersGate are good services. The staff at both are very friendly and helpful. Thumbs up!

So, first impressions?

Solid game, very similar to X-Com - but there is nothing wrong with that, why mess with perfection.

Decent amount of startup gear, soldiers, and the like in primary base. Mission terrain seems to be somewhat varied, and also seem dependant on crash zone as well. Looking forward to base-assault missions and terror missions, but havent seen any in ~ 3mos of game play.

I would like a few more tweeks such as - ammo count by bullet instead of magazine to prevent a whole magazine dumped after firing once, input as to why I cannot add certain buildings to secondary bases (allowed only to have hangar, radar and missile defenses), and a button that lets me save AP for a shot because I hate doing the math in my head.

All in all, it is a very nice game as long as you enjoyed X-Com: EU and are not offended by a new version of the old game. Now if someone would take the best parts of UFO: AL and the best parts of UFO: ET I would never have to leave home again.

Now if someone would take the best parts of UFO: AL and the best parts of UFO: ET I would never have to leave home again.

Oh yes I'm totally with you on that one. :D

You never know, if UFO:ET makes a decent profit it could possibly alert other larger games companies to the fact there is market for more games like this.

(Off-topic)

If UFO:AL only would run in wine/cedega! The first two do run, why not this one? Argh. Someone is conspiring to keep me away from the PC in my spare time. Probably not a bad idea, but argh.

Here are the specs given in the pdf manual:

Minimum

• 1.5 Ghz Processor
  • 128 MB Video Card w/DirectX 9.0c compatible driver
  • 256 MB RAM
  • 2.6 GB free hard disk space
  • DVD-ROM, Mouse
  • Windows 2000/XP/Vista w/DirecteX 9.0c and greater

Recommended

• 2.5 Ghz Processor
  • 256 MB Video Card w/DirectX 9.0c compatible driver
  • 512 MB RAM
  • 2.6 GB free hard disk space
  • DVD-ROM, Mouse
  • Windows 2000/XP/Vista w/DirecteX 9.0c and greater

And as I just found out the hard way, a Mobility Radeon 7500 video card just won't cut it: "UFO: Extraterrestrials requires graphic card that supports vertex and pixel shaders to run."

Supposedly, UFO: ET is easy to mod, though there have been problems reported.

- Zombie

cyke - I knew I'd seen them somewhere (found them in our interview - from waaay back in the end):

Pentium 1.5GHz, 256MB RAM and a standard graphic accelerator with 64MB RAM as a minimum.

The specs may have altered slightly since then, but not much I wouldn't have thought. Also, for info, that "Pentium" refers to old Pentium and not dual core or anything, so even if the specs are s bit higher you shouldn't have too much trouble.

EDIT: Curse you Zombie - I feel so redundant :D :D

And as I just found out the hard way, a Mobility Radeon 7500 video card just won't cut it: "UFO: Extraterrestrials requires graphic card that supports vertex and pixel shaders to run."

3D Analyzer might help, if your computer otherwise is beefy, the stars are right, and you sacrifice a rubber chicken at midnight...

https://www.tommti-systems.de/go.html?https:...eien/files.html