X-COM: TFTD Reaches a New Low

baby arm

If you've not yet had a chance to try X-Com: Terror from the Deep, then Steam has a treat for you. The first X-Com sequel can now be downloaded from Steam for the absurdly low price of $2.45, less than the price of a beer in most places.

In related news, Steam also has UFO: Afterlight for $39.95, with 10% off if you grab it before May 11th.

Thanks to Llyranor for the tip.

If you've not yet had a chance to try X-Com: Terror from the Deep, then Steam has a treat for you. The first X-Com sequel can now be downloaded from Steam for the absurdly low price of $2.45, less than the price of a beer in most places.

Yeah, it's a low price... but more exposure for X-Com is always a good thing.

In related news, Steam also has UFO: Afterlight for $39.95, with 10% off if you grab it before May 11th.

Really? Excellent.

Damn! You beat me to it!

My brother loaded up Steam earlier today to load Counterstrike Source and we saw the advert. Good stuff at that price!

If anyone does purchase it, could they let us know which version it is? I'm assuming it's the collector's edition with f0dder's patch too.

There's a fantastic utility called Qres - go and find it on Google and download it.

Basically, you can then right-click on the X-COM exe file (the one with Patch after the name) and set your Qres settings for this game.

What it does is change the resolution automatically when you load the game, and then back again once you exit.

It's absolutely fantastic if you've got a widescreen monitor too, as you can set the resolution to 640x480 and have it appear in the centre of the screen rather than stretch to the edges (monitor-dependant of course).

The first thing to do is check if your sound volume.

Check the game's Sounds folder. There should be a selection of .mid files in there. You should be able to open them and run them with your default media player.

If you don't hear anything, then you might want to increase your midi/synth sound volume in volume control.

- NKF

Thanks 4 fast reply

I can play the music with every player installed no problem. Every sound volume is on maximum.

Another thing is that it crashs sometimes in Mission' Terror from the deep has detected a problem and it will close'; I think thats a problem of Steam itself and unfortunately we are not able to play TFTD without Steam right? So next I try decrease hardware acceleration of the soundcard.

greetz

G.

Ok I managed the music problem. I changed the Midi Synth Source.

Mainly the terror attacks on Land make the game crash. It did not crash while other missions or while doing s.th. at the geoscape. Any idea to fix it?

BTW sometimes I have to start X-Com twice (: because the first time Steam tries to start TFTD and after a short blackscreen I return to Desktop without a running process auf TFTD.

greetz

G.

Well, still the same problem. QRes or not my LCD screen don't like the resolution of TFTD, the top of the screen is of limit of my LCD. The game launch & work but it's hard to play with only 4/5 of the screen (:.

I noted something strange, during my tests I launched the executable directly without steam. And each time I had weird error messages by steam and/or windows. Someone confirm this is the expected behavior ?!

• 2 months later...
UFO/X-Com original game is not on Steam, as Gametap got the rights to that one back in Feb/March. I just hope they manage to get Apoc served up on Steam too. That would then just leave the later games like Interceptor, which run ok in Windows, though i haven't tried mine recently.