UFO:AL A.I

After playing the game since Friday I was thinking to myself "these robots arent too difficult",that was before I was tasked with exploring the excavation site.Again,robots attacked en masse without even a hint of battle tactics.Then somthing horrible happened,a strange teleporter appeared and about 5 or 6 menacing looking creatures appeared,called Beastmen (of all things).I quickly realised that the mission had suddenly become a serious fight as the Beastmen quickly knocked my squad leader unconscious and proceeded to do the other members some serious damage!.I had to re-load and abort the mission (I hate doing that) and return to base to consolidate my position and re-evaluate some new strategy.I was outgunned and to be honest,outflanked,as the BM cut off my escape to the UFO :(

I consider myself a very good tactician and a veteran of the 2 previous games,yet for the first time I feel like I have a real fight on my hands this time.This is good.

Let me know how some of you feel about the game's A.I.

I managed to position myself allright by accident and killed a few of them whilst retreating. It was difficult and most of my troops were badly injured, however I've now managed to go up against them a few times and win. They are beginning to get a bit sneaky, however they are also fairly slow and cumbersome in the open, get the high ground or some cover and you can wipe them out before they can retreat.

That missions is really unfair, despite the fact that i still have huge ammo problems (even much later)

the only way to do this mission without risking your ppls lives is to set a dynamite charge next to the mech once hes down, while one guy keeps him down with a buzzsaw the other places the charge, once placed rush out and wait for the company. I managed to kill all 4 or 5 beastmen but the real problem are those rolling balls... I dont know what the devs thought as they made them but on hard they are unkillable!

At least with the basic weapons, a super flatster the nightmare of any gameplay.

edit: Oh and the maps are way too few and too small, in some missions you pop on a narrow corner while they are waiting for you upside shooting with very nasty stuff, and the only way to win is rush up and prey

TYR.

You mention these "rolling balls",what exactly do you mean?,I have not encountered any of these yet,but what I HAVE encountered are tornado like structures called 'Nature Force',have you?.I foolishly opened fire on it (like a bullet can kill wind) and didnt even scratch it!.So it seems the very environment can be more deadly than the adversaries! :(

As for my first encounter with the mech I just formed a front line and concentrated fire on it,it quickly became a junk pile.

TYR.

You mention these "rolling balls",what exactly do you mean?,I have not encountered any of these yet,but what I HAVE encountered are tornado like structures called 'Nature Force',have you?.I foolishly opened fire on it (like a bullet can kill wind) and didnt even scratch it!.So it seems the very environment can be more deadly than the adversaries! :(

As for my first encounter with the mech I just formed a front line and concentrated fire on it,it quickly became a junk pile.

Sorry, i wanted to avoid beeing precise so someone who reads it does not loose a part of his game expirience. Just wait and see, or better run when u see a ball coming :(

Tornados are nasty sometimes because they always show up in the middle of a firefight and i have to move my team members, just avoid them. Well and i guess when you say that a mech becomes a pile quick you dont play on hard, there they take about 50 bullets or something. I usually try to place dynamite close to them otherwise they are unkillable, especially if theres more than one (lack of ammo)

I wonder if its possible to mod dynamite throwable, actually every single item should be throwable !?

Well,I have just encountered these 'rollers' and yes,they are very resilient,at least to conventional bullets.I am thinking of using explosives the next time I encounter them.Set a charge and let it roll into it :(

Oh I forgot,thanks for the welcome Gringo :( Looks like we will be spending all our time in here anyway,sorry to say but UFO:AS is history now (shame)

You're quite welcome, Blueblood. :( .UFO: Aftershock has had it's days until some wise modding party decides to revamp the entire thing and clean out the bugs.

As for the rollers....They are tough nuts to crack. I remember encountering them the first time and they did the 'dusting-a-vampire' trick only three of my men. Reload at once as you can not afford to use any people....Except Ute maybe. :(

Since that moment those lumbs of living rock no longer got the jump om me as they were blasted to kingdom come with a mix of energy/laser and conventional projectile weaponry as soon as they came rolling around the bend. :D I think energy weapons work a bit better then projectile weapons....

Galad.

I have never noticed robots actually fighting against the nature force (NF) too,I have only encountered them so far on beastman (BM) missions.

After completing my NF research I found out that they are best dealt with using weapons/equipment that disrupt the structure magnetically,or by using some sort of EM pulse ect.As I have no such weaponry so far I prefer to leave them alone if I can,they are virtually indestructible!

Galad.

I have never noticed robots actually fighting against the nature force (NF) too,I have only encountered them so far on beastman (BM) missions.

After completing my NF research I found out that they are best dealt with using weapons/equipment that disrupt the structure magnetically,or by using some sort of EM pulse ect.As I have no such weaponry so far I prefer to leave them alone if I can,they are virtually indestructible!

Came across Nature Force playing the Demo last night. Wondered what the hell it was! It had taken out two reticulans for me (very nice) and stayed hovering over them while I recovered an alien artifact. Then one of myteam shot it and it started to chase them across the Martian Landscape! Dignity was thrown out the window while half my team cowered in one of the Reticulan base buildings and the others ran like rats from a sinking ship back to the UFO!!!

Made me laugh if nothing else :(