X-Com: UFO - Equal Terms Mod v2.0!

Shortstop4313

Hey everyone, after discussing on here, I decided to make some more changes to my mod and post it up for your enjoyment or flaming.

-- X-Com Ufo Defense Patch --

313 Equal Terms Modification.  by Shortstop4313 and Ickschuss.
Created May 2000. Updated December 2006.

To add the patch, unzip the X-com313.zip to your Ufo defense directory and answer yes to the overwrites.  It will replace some files and add the new weapons and accompaning proper ufopedia entries.

The concept of this modification is to make some unused weapons useful again and to convert certain weapons to a real life equivilent, ie: weapons NATO would be using against these UFO attacks, from a standard 5.56 Assault Rifle, to a Squad Automatic Weapon, to a PSG-1 7.62 Nato Match grade Sniper rifle.  It also increases some explosive damages and tweaks the other damages, accuracies and fire rates for the other weapons to create some sort of game balance.

1) Powder Weapons:  While lacking the punch of Plasma and Laser weapons, the compensate for this by having the fastest fire rates in the game.  Simply, they fire more snap and auto shots per movement turn than the other weapons.  This is especially true for the Squad Automatic Weapon (SAW Machingun).

1a) Due to the change of the Autocannon to Saw, and Heavy Cannon to Sniper rifle, the HE and I rounds for both are now converted to single-shot rifle-launched muzzle-attached grenades.  The unloading of the AP rounds similates the single Blank round that is needed to be loaded into the weapon.

2) Laser Weapons: Not quite as accurate as some of the powder weapons on Aimed shots due to poor Ergonomics of the sight rails, their accuracy under the auto shot modes is exceptional and damage yields are higher than the powder weapons.  Also the lack of ammo carried makes them great for longer battles.

3) Plasma Weapon:  The pistol is slightly more potent than before and the Heavy Plasma is a bit weaker (97% of the old damage), they still are the most damaging weapons in the game.  However, I changed the accuracies, Ammo amounts and fire rates to balance the three different plasmas.  So that Heavy Plasma isn't 'The only gun you'll need to carry'.

For those using the Soldier.dat file, just move that to your save game file.  It's best to do this right at the start of the game.  Start a new Game.  Then head to the 'Sell' menu and sell off 10 of your Scientists.  This will make room for the 32 characters incoming and not cause strange errors.  Then save it, remember the save game number, then rename the 2006soldier.dat to soldier.dat and move it to "game_#" directory, the # being the number of the save game in question.  Override.

Changelog:

Version 2.1 - December 2006
- Changed Sabot round to 150 damage, little chance to penetrating outside UFO walls at suggestion of Knan from Strategycore.co.uk forums.

Version 2.0 - December 2006
- Changed machine pistol caliber from .45 ACP AP to H&K 4.6x30mm PDW AP round. Decreased Damage by 10, Increased clip size to 24 and raised rate of fire.
- Changed 5.56x45mm round. Decreased damage by 5, tweaked rate of fire and decreased accuracy.
- Changed 7.65x51mm round. Decreased damage by 10.
- Changed Small Rocket to Sabot.  Changed damage to 250, set damage type to AP.  Concept: Replaced smaller useless rocket with a armour-piercing fin-stabilized discarding sabot type round.
- Changed Laser and Plasma Weapons for balance and to match core concepts.
- Updated Soldier.dat for personal use. :P

Plans: 
- To find and remove the tag from the autocannon which makes the shots extra random in direction and apply it to the machine pistol.
- Allow the SAW grenades to be launched from the Assault Rifle as well.
- Edit Small Radar to be more effective.

Hope everyone enjoys it.

https://www.mediamax.com/shortstop4313/Host...om-313-V2.1.zip

https://www.strategycore.co.uk/files/?dlid=477

- Changed Small Rocket to Sabot. Changed damage to 250, set damage type to AP. Concept: Replaced smaller useless rocket with a armour-piercing fin-stabilized discarding sabot type round.

Hmm. 250 AP? That would allow you to blow holes in ufo walls in a totally risk-free way, from the beginning. That's unfair to the poor aliens, IMO. Just imagine what evil you can get up to with this and some proximity grenades.

130 AP would still be impressive, and is the highest you can go and still be sure of having UFO outer hulls resist it.

- Changed Small Rocket to Sabot. Changed damage to 250, set damage type to AP. Concept: Replaced smaller useless rocket with a armour-piercing fin-stabilized discarding sabot type round.

Hmm. 250 AP? That would allow you to blow holes in ufo walls in a totally risk-free way, from the beginning. That's unfair to the poor aliens, IMO. Just imagine what evil you can get up to with this and some proximity grenades.

130 AP would still be impressive, and is the highest you can go and still be sure of having UFO outer hulls resist it.

I was under the impression that the damage limit you need to break through UFO walls guarranteed was 300, IE: a blaster bomb?

Yeah, I just tested the sabot and it chopped right through the wall of the UFO. While I might argue that the APFSD could be able to punch through even an alien alloy, for balance, it needs to be changed.

What damage does it take to get through a UFO outer-hull?

Edit: I keep forgetting there is a wiki now, I last worked on this way back when... I see I have to adjust the damage

Changed the damage to 150 AP. A small chance to chop through outside UFO walls, and still will be able to put down Genius+ chrysalids and most other terrorist units with a single shot. Since the rocket launcher isn't full auto or even capable of really doing multiple shots efficiently, I feel this is enough.

Hmm, now I need to adjust the uploaded file, is there a way to update previous uploads.

Hmm, now I need to adjust the uploaded file, is there a way to update previous uploads.

Unfortunately not. We would need to remove the old download and add another one. The file software is messed up in that respect. Give us a link to your updated mod and we'll add it in for you. :D

- Zombie

Unfortunately not. We would need to remove the old download and add another one. The file software is messed up in that respect. Give us a link to your updated mod and we'll add it in for you. :D

- Zombie

Eh, no big deal.

Latest file up at:

shortstop4313/FileManager/X-Com-313-V2.1.zip

Thanks.

(Edit: Just had a cyberdisk take a sabot shot right in the face and survive! That should be pretty much expected since they have AP resistance... but that was surprising!)

• 2 weeks later...

Finally able to register!

Thanks for this mod, shortstop. I played your previous version although I preferred Chris82's weapon mod - liked the graphics more and the shotgun.

What I tried to do was was mix-n-match - copy some of your graphics and paste them onto a modified NewWeapons (Chris82) - by making a copy then renaming eg BIGOB03.PCK (or whatever) to BIGOB07.PCK to replace the BIGOB07.PCK of the second mod (example). Reason I have to do this is that PcKview won't work on my computer

But when I do that the graphics get messed up in-game. The graphic for the item shows up but it is attached to other graphics, for example the pistol image gets attached to a rocket launcher. It doesn't break the game but it looks ugly as hell...

Any idea what causes this and what the correct procedure is?

Thanks

edit:

To make myself clear the problem is with inventory and UFOpedia images.

Finally able to register!

Thanks for this mod, shortstop. I played your previous version although I preferred Chris82's weapon mod - liked the graphics more and the shotgun.

What I tried to do was was mix-n-match - copy some of your graphics and paste them onto a modified NewWeapons (Chris82) - by making a copy then renaming eg BIGOB03.PCK (or whatever) to BIGOB07.PCK to replace the BIGOB07.PCK of the second mod (example). Reason I have to do this is that PcKview won't work on my computer

But when I do that the graphics get messed up in-game. The graphic for the item shows up but it is attached to other graphics, for example the pistol image gets attached to a rocket launcher. It doesn't break the game but it looks ugly as hell...

Any idea what causes this and what the correct procedure is?

Thanks

edit:

To make myself clear the problem is with inventory and UFOpedia images.

Thanks for the good word. I just generally shared the mod because maybe other would have been interested.

Yeah, I never got around to making a graphic pack for my mod mostly because my pixel art (and art skills in general) suck.

So I'm a bit confused as to what exactly you are asking.

Inventory and UFOpedia images as stored in two seperate archives - The collection you see in UFOGraph (bigob_00.pck - bigob_59.pck), and the collated version is in Units (bigobs.pck and bigobs.tab). You need to tweak both of them for a proper mod.

This tool is the only one I know of that works with BigObs.