Pocket PC Update

Bomb Bloke

Cool. Just out of interest, did the PC version have the narrow screen and controls, or did they develop a special interface for the PC version?

It is probably a Pocket PC emulator, and if so it will look the same I guess.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not necessarily. Having subjected the Pocket PC version to considerable testing (the sacrifices I make for you people...), I have realised that they made a lot of changes that had nothing to do with porting the game.

For instance, research is more linear. If you have a Sectoid soldier, navigator, engineer and leader in your alien containment facility, your scientists have to interrogate the soldier before they can move on to the other Sectoids. Also, you cannot research plasma rifles until you have researched plasma pistols.

Skyranger range has been reduced. I had a base in the middle of North America that sent a skyranger to a terror attack in Brasilia, and it turned back due to lack of fuel.

Also, human aircraft weapons have been reduced in range and capacity, which makes sucessful interceptions harder.

And expect your first base to detect over 30 UFOs in its first month of operation.

Hmm, I'm pretty sure a Skyranger could cover the globe in the original. Cutting down the range makes things harder, but it's not nice for the game to let you send the craft to a static location which cant be reached...

I noticed most of those apart from the research. I'm too busy chasing after a billion UFO's whizzing past my base!

Fortunately I don;t think the funding module is completed yet as everyone still liked me at the end of the month even if I did nothing.

I hear ya on those terror missions - certainly a challenge to get to them, and Interceptor range has been reduced too!

One thing that doesn't help is a little bug with the geoscape that means that if your aircraft try to cross the Greenwich Meridian, the pilots will automatically turn back, citing lack of fuel. Until this bug is fixed, putting your first base in the British Isles or Spain is a spectacularly bad thing to do...

Well if the world was the shape of a horse shoe, the universe just wouldn't work right!

I haven't looked into this much, bug I've got a Palm Tungsten E and recently acquired a 256 Meg SD memory card for it (well, and my next digital camera, if I ever save up enough to get one, that is) - which should be more than enough to store the game.

But the big question on my mind is: Does the game work on Palm OS?

- NKF

Pete: I've been playing with this bug and it seems that an aircraft cannot cross the Greenwich Meridian if the base is to the west, so you shouldn't put a base in the British Isles for the moment. However, aircraft can cross the Meridian if the base is in the east, so you can put your first base in the Alps or Scandanavia if you want. They had to redo the geoscape from scratch, so I'm not surprised that they haven't fixed all the bugs yet.

NKF: so far the game has only been released for the Pocket PC :cool:

• 3 months later...
I see there haven't been any recent posts on this subject. Is the project still alive? The X-com series of games still rank up there among my favorite PC games, and I'd love to play a similar game on my Pocket PCs. I've loaded the beta v.1.2 on my HP hx4705 iPAQ. I've had a couple of crashes, but in general it plays very well on that PPC.

Looking at their website, the latest version (beta 1.21) was made available just under two months ago, so I think the project is still going.

As they aren't charging (at least for now) it's probably a case of trying to juggle working on Pocket UFO with a proper job, so I don't expect progress to be very fast.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That is to say, they re-used the resource files, but remade the actual game engine.

That is, all the graphics work the same, but the gameplay is different. Two handed weapons REQUIRE two hands, for example, and UFOs no longer crash land at a purely vertical angle.

• 4 months later...

Nice refresh to our reference... I still prefer to play "XCOM EU" but it's fun ! Good work (an as it is small enough to stand on a memory stick, I can play with it at the office ... but shut !!! ;-)

Did anyone have done a french translation ?

See you