At last! The Cult has appeared

cyrus

Finally after two months of playing I've the opportunity to do battle with them. (Yes! I do play very slowly, I know). The Cultists appeared some time ago (a day or so of game time), but I haven't made the contact with them until now. Recently they decided to attack one of the explored provinces, so the locals called for help.

So now I'm thinking: to answer that call or not. The downside of rejecting this mission is that the Cult will win another territory, besides in close proximity to my own belongings, which is dangerous. Also the relations with the Cyborgs, which own this land will deteriorate. Although I've noticed that when I reject a help mission against mutants or reticulans, the game says the relations deteriorated dramatically. Here I've tried to reject and it was said they just deteriorated. Is that because the Cultists is more serious enemy and I am not at war with them yet, so I am not penalized so much?

Well, I'm thinking, if I let them take that province, will they remain neutral to me and just will continue expanding just like I do, not attacking me, or they are hostile from the very beginning no matter what the relations with them are, so they will attack me sooner or later as His Majesty The Random Generator decides.

The cultists are fanatics. If they hold a province that borders one of your own, they will inevitably attempt to expand into your territory through either military conquest or religious conversion. THere is no point in trying to remain at peace with them.

You may as well help out the cyborgs in order to slow the cultists down and to get some equipment off them. The cultists tend to be well armed though - they often use AP and fletchette rounds and many of their weapons have additional enhancements.

The cultists are fanatics. If they hold a province that borders one of your own, they will inevitably attempt to expand into your territory through either military conquest or religious conversion. THere is no point in trying to remain at peace with them.

Finally I've found that. I've decided to look, what if I leave them as is, so I set the time on max and didn't do anything waiting and finally after 4 days or so they attacked my base. So the only way of dealing with them is nearly total extermination (besides one base, that is).

So I will take that fight, but it should be rough i fear. I have one machinegun, shotguns and laser rifles, so nothing to level up with cultist range with their snipers

Man I remember one of my first cultist missions - it was very very tough. Very unlucky I spent all reticulan power cells at this moment, so I couldn't use the laser rifles.

One advise I can give you - never divide your team when you are dealing with cultists in the beginning.

• 3 months later...

I found shotguns to be very useful against cultists early on. Take a cyborg out and have him wave and make crude gestures until you get a cultist's attention. (Your mother stinks of elderberries!) Then have the cyborg run back through a door so there is a wall between you and the cultists. The cultist will give chase and as soon as he comes through the door you can feed him two rounds of buckshot. Rinse and repeat until there are so many corpses piled there you have trouble aiming through all the "dead" tags. Then move to a new room and rinse and repeat!

It helps a lot if you have a guy with a second level of leader already. That gives you the damage you need to take out those big brown, stocky dudes with the big guns.

I cleared a cultist base early on with just a cyborg using his shotgun. I had other guys along, but didn't use them much. The cultists stayed in buildings until I got just outside the door. So they all ran out the door single file to be slaughtered by shotgun shells. It was kinda sick actually.