Things you can do to help StrategyCore

Accounting Troll

There are only a few members of staff here, and none of us can devote as much time as we would like to increasing the amount of content on this site. It has therefore been suggested to us that we put up a list of things that need to be done for the benefit of anybody who might be inclined to help us out. Following is a non-exhaustive list of things we would like to see added, but are currently unable to do so because of lack of time.

X-Com series.

We have information on the weapons and alien races in Enemy Unknown, but nothing on the weapons and aliens for the other games in the series.

We lack information on the various craft and craft weapons for each of the games. We also lack information on the various classes of UFO encountered in each game, and the level of threat it poses to X-Com forces.

A technical FAQ for each of the games in the X-Com series would be very useful. It should include questions like compatability with later versions of MS Windows, and the various bugs in the games. Most of the information needed can be found in our forums, but it would be immensely useful to have it in a more user-friendly format.

We have started reviewing the mods and game editors for Enemy Unknown, however it would be useful to do something similar with the other gamnes in the X-Com series. A review should include installations/usage instructions as well as information on how stable and bug-free it is.

More X-Com series fan fiction is always welcome.

UFO series.

We have statistical information on enemies, weapons and armour for UFO: Aftermath, but nothing for UFO: UFO: Aftershock.

We also have reviews of the enemies and some of the weapons for UFO: Aftermath, and more will be done when I have time. However, we have nothing similar for UFO: Aftershock.

Neither game has a technical FAQ. Most of the answers can be found in the forums, but it would save people a lot of time if the information was in a more user-friendly format.

We have no reviews of any of the mods and tools for the UFO games, which means that many site visitors don't really know what we have tucked away in our files section.

More UFO series fan fiction is always welcome.

Silent Storm series.

We have very little site content for the Silent Storm series. Anything would be welcome.

The complete lack of ANY Silent Storm fan fiction is particularly embarrassing grin.gif

Submitting content.

Any content should be in English (Either British or American). It should be free of spelling and grammatical mistakes, although we are quite happy to proofread it if you do not have access to an English language spellchecker.

Any content can either be posted in the relevant forum or sent to one of the staff members listed below as an attachment to either an e-mail or a PM.

Edit by Zombie: Please submit all content to either myself or any active staff member. Content can be from any of the above mentioned games or UFO: Extraterrestrials, Hearts of Iron, Jagged Alliance or Sword of the Stars.

Hey Slaughter. I've probably got enough info to do the weapons catalogue but what sort a format is going to be best?

The weapons stuff we have so far looks like this and this (and this). I don't know what is better really. Troll and Zombie hopefully has some thoughts on the matter :D. I like to have downloadable spreadsheets in addition either way.

Yeah, spreadsheets would be good but the first of those with the pics works well. It's just not that easy to find just the bit you need.

I'll start putting it together and then we can decide later gow to format it. Okay?

Any thoughts AT?

I think that having an article that includes some basic statistics is the best way to go. I did the UFO: Aftermath weapons spreadsheet before I started on the articles, and I found it very useful to have the statistics I needed directly in front of me. Comparing half a dozen different makes of pistol without the spreadsheet would have been tricky.

Statistics don't tell the whole story on their own - one of the sniper rifles in UFO: Aftermath is immensely powerful, but the player cannot use it very often due to a lack of ammunition. Some other weapons have a very long reloading time, so the player should reload when there is a lull in the fighting as opposed to when the weapon runs out of ammunition.

Don't forget to include any research requirements for building and using each weapon.

• 2 months later...
I have the data from the strategy guide for TFTD. Though the liscense data says I need express written consent to transmit or reproduce the data therein, I don't think the weapons data, something coded into the game by Microprose and viewable via an editor, is subject to this. I can "quote" the book for purposes of review, as stipulated by the self-same agreement however... Could also just make a spreadsheet. Let me know your preferred medium, bearing in mind all of the above.

A spreadsheet is fine, Lochmacher. And no need to quote the OSG unless you plan on copying the data into the same table format or copying without double checking the data against obdata.dat. Thanks for your interest! :thinking:

- Zombie