Slaughter

Hmm, I don't think so. Let me think:
  • Subways - CHECK

• Spaceships - CHECK

• Mermaids - CHECK

• Wizards - CHECK

• Giants - CHECK

• Dragons - CHECK

Hmm, no, only a giant I seem to remember. Then again, Crow is sort of a troll... ;)

Seriously though, if you never played an adventure game before, DO play The Longest Journey. It's dirt cheap by now, and quite fantastic. I'm a little skeptical to the new action elements of Dreamfall, but I'll keep an open mind...

The Longest Journey is indeed fantastic, one of my favourite adventure games, hope Dreamfall is just as good :cool:

Speaking of old adventure games, if you haven't already downloaded ScummVM, do so now! You can also download Beneath a Steel Sky and Flight of the Amazon Queen for free to use with it. Lovely to play those two excellent old adventure games on Windows XP with no hassle :D (and several others if you own them)

I think it's the part where you decide to go with Sophia or not. I didn't know about the "bad" ending. Hmm, somehow I just miss that point'n'click style. May look kind of outdated to some, but it has a lot of charm to me. ;)

That's the part where you decide on the two of the endings. The third ending doesn't present itself until the end.

If you want, and it's okay with you guys, I can tell you all three endings. I still remember it, seeing as how I played it umptimillion times :D

• 1 month later...

There's finally some information about the Limited Edition of Norwegian dev. house Funcom's "Dreamfall":

Includes

- a 92-page 'Art of Dreamfall' book

- the full game

- Dreamfall soundtrack by Magnet

The English version of the limited edition will be exclusively available at the Funcom onlinestore. Have a look at the goodies, here. :lovetammy:

::

These things keep getting better and better! Too bad it's not available from elsewhere, though...

• 2 weeks later...

"(...) the idiotic action sequences seems to be one of the negatives."

And the stealth, and the control scheme, according to GameSpy...

::

They do, however, slap "Outstanding" and Editor's Choice on the title's review as well!! :eh:

p.s.: curiously their partners over at IGN were much less forgiving, though (7,4/10).

I've played Hero's Quest 1,2&3, all but the last of the Space Quests etc.. Roger Wilco is still my idol. He is kind of a space voyager as well, although more of a... trashy one. :P

I loved adventures when you still had to type commands. Believe it or not, those were the times when I RAPIDLY learned new English words. I'll bet anybody that such games actually made a lot of English speaking people literate. "Oh, so that's what OAK is spelled like..." :eh:

From those games came today's RPG. Oblivion for example is A LOT like Hero's Quest. The difference being 1. person and 3D, naturally, but the most important thing is completely the same; if you wanted to climb that tree in HQ, you better know the CTRL+C & CTRL+V shortcuts. Otherwise you're going to be typing "climb tree" A LOT of times. And in Oblivion it's the same - you also learn by doing. So in my view RPG games are modern adventure games. I don't like all of them, but I've had my (LARGE) share of playing.

• 1 month later...

I still have BS 1 & 2 on my old PC. Brilliant games. BS3 was a bit of a letdown for me, but it was a decent game. I hope this is an improvement, and I hope to God they stop trying to top the events of each preceding game.

and pigeons driven by ultra-realistic AI

Please let this be a joke.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
The demo of Sam&Max Episode 1: Culture Shock can now be downloaded from www.telltalegames.com. I've had trouble downloading from there, so I went to another gaming site. It's very short, so I can't say anything conclusive, I mostly liked what I saw, meaning that the crazy style is still there, however there seems to be no item combining. Still, I don't consider it a big minus. :D

Sam'n'Max isn't my kind of an adventure game. I always felt like too... sober for playing it. IMO it would be best after smoking something, kinda like "The big Lebowski" movie (phenomenal, BTW). Not trying to promote anything illegal, just saying that S'n'M is a bit too funky for me.

• 3 months later...

I just picked up a couple of Lucas Art's Classic re-releases of Sam and Max Hit the Road, Grim Fandago and Full Throttle. Never played the first two, so this is a bit of a treat for me.

Looks like they've added some funky voodoo executable to the sets to make them run as good as new on today's blazing fast monsters. I approve of this, as I remember smashing my head on my table trying to get Full Throttle to install on my XP machine. And the sound setup! Oh the horror! Now it just goes in the cd/dvd-rom and can be played right away. Whee! I'm crossing my fingers that they re-release Day of the Tentacle this way as well.

I'm a little stumped by Sam and Max Hit the Road. Plenty of fun but I can't for the life of me figure what to do most of the time. Oh well, that's alway been a big part of the fun in these sort of games.

- NKF