Legally download X-COM, and other great games?

komplex

Ok so after surfing around for info on where I can find a copy of one of my alltime favorite games (reunion).. I can across this site:

*removed*

now they offer FULL version games for download for FREE.. Im talking most of the classics... including X-COM... Can they do this? :cool:

Edited by Slaughter

now they offer FULL version games for download for FREE.. Im talking most of the classics... including X-COM... Can they do this? :cool:

Sadly no. The games they offer are so called abandonware, and that is not legal. You can't buy most of the games anymore, but unless they are released as freeware it is not legal to offer them for download. Only exception we make here is to link to the X-COM download at Fileplanet, because we doubt a large and respected site like this would offer illegal downloads.

Sadly no. The games they offer are so called abandonware, and that is not legal. You can't buy most of the games anymore, but unless they are released as freeware it is not legal to offer them for download. Only exception we make here is to link to the X-COM download at Fileplanet, because we doubt a large and respected site like this would offer illegal downloads.

Hmmm well that kind of puts more of a question on the whole "software copyright" thing.. Ill have to serach around on the laws again.. maybe if a game doesn't hold an active copyright (just the rights, to the use of the name etc) and it can't be bought, maybe it can be released for shareware?

******** EDIT*******

After doing some digging I found out that in the US, UK and much or Europe copyrighted code remains so FOREVER even if the company doesn't exist anymore... Abandonware sites just post the software in the hope that they don't get sued or discovered, by anyone holding the rights to the old game (since many title copyrights are bought up, and or acquired when purchasing an old software company)... After reading over a dozen sites offering info on the subject I have come to realize that unless File planet pays a nominal copyright usage fee or is associated with the rights holder then that download is also not legal (but as slaughter said they must have a deal cut, I don't think such a large company wouldn't "risk" it)

*****END EDIT******

Yeah, but they also intended to check. Since they didn't remove it, I assume the brand owner approved.

I also intend never to break a traffic law on my life. I hope the police officer assumes that when he pulls me over and is deciding whether to give me a ticket or not.

• 1 month later...

Hello Im new in Forums and I love this game so...Hi!!!

Well I found this page where u can dll TFTD and Apocalypse for free... I bought all my games before I just lost the cds, I threw away my interceptor b/c i read there where no way to fix the game I wish someone could tell me how to dll it again I dont see why it is wrong If I have bought ot before... Im not postin the link to the page where u can dll the game in case admins dont want to... but If they allow me well PM me and Ill send you the link...

• 5 months later...

How does profit work for the publisher by buying a copy from e-bay? If the point is to support the people who made it I mean. They only benefit by the guy or gal who first bought it. I'd guess that to do that, you'd have to hope the publisher still has it in their catalog to order direct as the most proper alternative.

Personally, I really wish they would. I think all games companies and license holders for older games should have a game nostalgia website ordering system in place just in principle.

Many games have a "not for resale" thingy on them, but I've never seen this enforced, or even mentioned, in the real world. No idea why, as what you say is absolutely right. Unless you buy a first hand copy, you're as much good to the publishers as a game pirate or a non-buyer.

That said... All my X-Com titles are second hand. :)

• 3 months later...
Ok so after surfing around for info on where I can find a copy of one of my alltime favorite games (reunion).. I can across this site:

*removed*

now they offer FULL version games for download for FREE.. Im talking most of the classics... including X-COM... Can they do this? :)

hi slaughter, yoour link for download is removed, can u sent it to my yahoo acc?

wismilak2001@yahoo.com

thanx in front my friend

Ritchie