The major drawback on late weapons

Space Voyager

I haven't tried SW's weapon rebalance mod yet, so I can't comment on the modded game (which is bound to be far better than the original), but I have determined what is IMO the biggest drawback with high-tech weapons.

As I have stated in the sub-title, it is (IMO) the rate of fire.

Weapons of sonic, plasma and warp types have no "assault rifle" version. No smaller damage per bullet but lots of bullets weapon.

Sure, warp rifle packs a huge ammount of damage per second and per "bullet", but if this bullet misses (which it does becouse of the far lesser accuracy), all the humongous damage is wasted. It's the same with the plasma rifle. Not to mention that the ammo packs (energy packs) hold very little ammo.

Ordinary rifles have less "per bullet" damage but there are plenty bullets to be shot. I miss this kind of weapon in energy section.

If I only have the choice to agree or disagree I'll choose disagree. By the time you can use the high-tech weapons your skills should be good enough that you rarely miss. Good tactics also helps. Thus your concern about the low ROF weapons is, IMO, misplaced. The real problem with the unmodded game (again, IMO) isn't the low ROF of the advanced weapons. It's the ridiculously-good effectiveness of the low-tech weapons all the way to the end of the game. Which is something I've 'fixed' in my mod.

Happy now that you've gotten a response? :cool:

By the time you can use the high-tech weapons your skills should be good enough that you rarely miss. Good tactics also helps.

Well, true. I don't have a 20 tier soldier yet becouse I never reload, but I have good marksmen... I just don't get it how quickly a plasma rifle runs out of ammo... I agree about the superb efficiency of normal weapons that "prevent" you from using late weaponry.

Happy now that you've gotten a response? :cool:

Absolutely. ;) Any response is better than none (when as educated as your answers are even more so), be it positive or negative.

Well I guess I agree with you because I never use anything other than Mgs and Assault rifles. That is until those clouds of invincibility turn up.

Then you need some energy weapons to damage them.

But there is no better MG than the standard NATO one, the XM1 rifle is the best rifle.

I can storm through any mission with chaps with these weapons and AP rounds. I can charge head long into wargots and pull my weapon, put it on snap shot, you shoot and hit the enemy putting off his aim before he can shoot back, and by the time he is ready again you have shot him more times.

The 1st part of the wargot mothership I usually complete with 3 guys, and take no damage. I just charge the wargots, leaving everyone else by the ship.

Of course I have had a lot of practice as the game hangs after I win that mission. So I must have done that level about 15 times, and under 3 different versions of the game.

I never use anything other than Mgs and Assault rifles. That is until those clouds of invincibility turn up.

You will then have a great deal of fun if and when you try my mod and run into my Duralloy-armored Wargots and my Impervium™-clad Starghosts. If you think the old Clouds are tough ...

You will then have a great deal of fun if and when you try my mod and run into my Duralloy-armored Wargots and my Impervium™-clad Starghosts. If you think the old Clouds are tough ...

yea, wait till you run into the new SG's

what good are tactics ? they rush you and get as close as they can, and only warp weapons seem to do any damage to them

(Lazer pistols do 11 a hit)

so far, from what I have seen, Warp rifles are useless against the SG's , the trooper gets hit and stunned before he can fire

Spiders and Hogs (?) go down easy enough, Clouds are easy too

the defenders are HARD to kill, and pack a punch, maybe they are just too fast though

(is there anything the 2 Eng weapons can take down ? I not found anything yet that makes a hole or damage combat damage with them)

over all, with the new mod, may as well take the commando and ranger skills out of the game, no reason for them in the end game (may as well take out sniper too, since the Defender is going to on top of him/her before she can fire)

(point gain for the SG's should be improved, waste too many batt and Ecells killing them for what you gain)