What Am I Doing Wrong?

joegan

So, I am on my first base mission. I proceed to green square, killing 3 aliens on the way. Nothing. Hmm. Run a guy around the map, trying to find more aliens to kill, in case I have to kill all the aliens before I carry on (memories of chasing a last alien around a cruise ship in TFTD come flooding back).

Nothing.

Move guys in and out of green square. Nothing.

Spot the double doors need to be opened. Cool! Move guys in, and.....nothing.

I am getting cheesed off with this....what am I doing wrong? Have I not accomplished something in order for me to carry on?

Thanks in advance!

• 5 years later...
So, I am on my first base mission. I proceed to green square, killing 3 aliens on the way. Nothing. Hmm. Run a guy around the map, trying to find more aliens to kill, in case I have to kill all the aliens before I carry on (memories of chasing a last alien around a cruise ship in TFTD come flooding back).

Nothing.

Move guys in and out of green square. Nothing.

Spot the double doors need to be opened. Cool! Move guys in, and.....nothing.

I am getting cheesed off with this....what am I doing wrong? Have I not accomplished something in order for me to carry on?

Thanks in advance!

I did the exact same thing. Ran my soldiers ragged around the map looking for hidden baddies but it was vacant. Went back to the green square and even into the building but the mission wouldn't end. Eventually I came up with the theory that this may be a two-part mission like in TFTD. I believe I clicked the abort button and that let me go on. :)

In 2 part missions you clik the "next level" button at the top to go to next part.

I don't recall exactly, but the objectives button was not very clear about this type of mission being a 2-parter. In fact, a lot of the objective hints could stand to be rewritten by someone fluent in the English language. :)

- Zombie

The game gets so repetitive after a while that the biggest hurdle is understanding what the missions want you to do. After that, easy peasy.

By the way, be mindful of missions where you have to destroy particular objects to advance. The game sometimes stuffs up and doesn't put the mission objective item into the map (I'm thinking of one of the SG emitter thingies you'll come across later). Not having any means to clear the map, I ended up reloading.

Only thing you can really do about it is to take the broken record advice we often give to X-COM players: Save frequently in the Geoscape.

- NKF

The game gets so repetitive after a while that the biggest hurdle is understanding what the missions want you to do. After that, easy peasy.

Thank goodness I'm not the only one who is having trouble in this area. I mean, in X-COM EU and TFTD the mission objectives were crystal clear: kill or incapacitate all the aliens. If you needed to do something special to continue on in a 2-parter, it explicitly told you. Here, well, it's vague at best. (Maybe this is intentional to make a player think a little?) :) Besides, in the training mission when you stepped into the green square the mission ended right there. You would assume (wrongly it seems) that you would need to do the same thing on a base mission.

One of the beefs I have is when it says you need to kill x aliens to win the mission. Yet it only spawns x aliens on the map (at least on the easy difficulty). It should therefore say you need to kill/incapacitate all the aliens like X-COM does.

By the way, be mindful of missions where you have to destroy particular objects to advance. The game sometimes stuffs up and doesn't put the mission objective item into the map (I'm thinking of one of the SG emitter thingies you'll come across later). Not having any means to clear the map, I ended up reloading.

I'll have to keep this in mind if I get this far. Right now I'm only starting out. :)

Only thing you can really do about it is to take the broken record advice we often give to X-COM players: Save frequently in the Geoscape.

Hehe, Aftershock makes my video card crash pretty often, so I've been saving quite a bit. But trying to break the habit of a no-save/reload game like X-COM is hard to do. When my video card crashed the last time I had to replay 2 missions to get back to the same point in time I was before. :)

- Zombie

Sorry, just realized I mixed up aftermath and aftershock. No SG's in aftermath, but the usual save-regularly-in-event-mission-generation-stuffs-up advice still holds true.

One suggestion to assist with the monotony later on is to invest in a few deployable weapons as soon as you reasonably can. They're almost a necessity later on and are quite handy on ufo interior maps.

Oh, and keep an eye on your stores. Exciting and new things show up in there after recovering bases. Missed a few (basic) power suits for a long time until I actually looked at my stores.

- NKF

Sorry, just realized I mixed up aftermath and aftershock. No SG's in aftermath, but the usual save-regularly-in-event-mission-generation-stuffs-up advice still holds true.

No problem. I'll keep on saving just in case. :)

One suggestion to assist with the monotony later on is to invest in a few deployable weapons as soon as you reasonably can. They're almost a necessity later on and are quite handy on ufo interior maps.

Deployable weapons? What are those? :)

Oh, and keep an eye on your stores. Exciting and new things show up in there after recovering bases. Missed a few (basic) power suits for a long time until I actually looked at my stores.

Aye, just got a new suit of armor for my men from the base mission. It's really heavy though, so I had to stick it on a guy with enough strength to lug it around. I also got a nice cache of weapons too: a whole slug of semi-automatic rifles, some pistols and incendiary grenades. I can't wait to try those out, as X-COM didn't allow this type of grenade to exist. Hopefully it'll meet my expectations. :)

I can tell you one thing: I'm happy I have semi-automatic rifles now. Just went on a mission out in the open and there were Balloon Fish present. I tried using UZIs but the range for that weapon is pretty low and when I shot the alien it exploded like a Cyberdisc killing two of my men (men are hard to come by right now too). Fortunately the game crashed, so I equipped my squad with the rifles and the do-over mission was a cake-walk. :)

- Zombie

Deployable weapons. Really heavy weapons that you can only use with power suits. You can fire them normally, but your soldier ends up doing the whole unpack, fire, re-pack cycle, so it's not practical unless you deploy them so that you don't re-pack them after use.

You'll see them before long. The first one you get probably won't be that great, but hold out for the deployable machine gun. That's the most versatile of the lot. Doesn't require ammo clips - it gets one full magazine for every mission. Can't be reloaded during the mission though. The reticulan version is good too as it can be rearmed during the mission with their standard batteries.

I highly recommend having one for assaulting the larger UFOs. Often you start the mission and there are reticulans all around you, some with rocket launchers. Having one or two of these deployed the moment you start will literally save your skin. They offset their power by forcing you to use the power suits (which in turn force you to walk).

But don't stick to them entirely - the game could get boring then! There's a heap of other good weapons you'll come across before long. The plasma shotgun and plasma rifle will be quite favourable weapons for your lighter bio-armor units once you get them. For your heavies, there's one really powerful short range warp weapon and a minigun, which are great on-the-go alternatives to the deployables.

- NKF

I haven't run across any weapons like this yet (or the power suits for that matter). Hopefully a mission will come along which has it. :)

Shot down a UFO the other day, but I have no idea how big it is. Guess I'll find out when I visit. Not looking forward to it though, I just completed that teleportation research topic which should let my troops actually enter the thing. Hope my rifles are going to be sufficient... :)

- Zombie