Guys and gals, how are you coping with the viral problems? Slovenia has it under control so far but as far as I read, things are not pink all over the planet. The news that bother me the most are backstabbing crap like USA stealing masks from France, Germany and Canada. Friends or foe?! Otherwise we manage quite ok. Some land around our house gives my children the much needed space to be outside without much risk, without this space the children would go nuts ASAP.

So far so good.

You? power.gif

I'd say we're coping well enough over here for the moment, SV.

It's all very much touch and go still though because there's no way to say for certain how far along in the spread curve we actually are and some mathematical models demonstrate even the so-called successful flattening of it may likely prove too much for the national healthcare infrastructure we have in place, given the special needs (ventilators, negative pressure rooms) of those facing the most serious issues, like lung failure risks.

Our neighbours, Spain, have been dealing with a veritable deluge of cases and a scary number of fatalities, only now seeming to approach some level of abatement due to the severe containment measures put in place. The same goes for Italy.

In case anyone missed the memo: there is presently no cure. Should you catch the bug you either make it through or you don't. Not a coin you should be flipping right now; a time when healthcare services are as heavily taxed as they obviously are.

Minimizing potential exposure - your own and your family's - is about the best thing you can do at present. So that's what I'm doing as well. paladin.gif

• 3 weeks later...

The accusations were all over the news.

https://www.rfi.fr/en/europe/20200402-china-coronavirus-face-mask-france-stolen-us

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/03/mask-wars-coronavirus-outbidding-demand

That said, many more accusations about other countries doing the same followed. IMO everybody was stealing from everybody. In the case of crisis, there are no friends I guess.

According to the article on your first link the US PURCHASED, not stole the masks right off the tarmac. Was it nice? No, of course not. You should be blaming the Chinese who allowed the US to purchase the masks even though they were earmarked for France. Money talks though, we were willing to pay more and the Chinese were all to happy to make sideline deals like this. Ditto for the second article, though the story reads kinda fishy because it's from The Guardian which is a tabloid. Do I get my news from the National Enquirer? Heck no. wink.png

With that said, this coronavirus pandemic is creating a real shit show here in the US. Don't know how many of you are following the developments over here as it's probably more important to focus on where you live, but it just keeps getting worse and worse. At least the curve is starting to flatten out in some of the major cities like New York due to strict social distancing and stay at home orders, but now Trump wants to reopen the economy with little regard to public safety. Governors of some states like Georgia and even Tennessee are blindly starting to initiate plans to reopen even though there is overwhelming support to stay closed by the American public. These are probably going to become the new hot zones for the virus to spread while other responsible states are extending their orders. huh.png

One of the governors, Andrew Cuomo from New York is rapidly getting a lot of attention lately. He's a no BS kinda guy, intelligent, does his homework and has a lot of respect from the residents of his state and probably a good chunk of the US population too. So I'd highly recommend checking out some of his press conferences if you are interested to see how a hot bed is getting under control. Why this guy isn't president is beyond me and why he isn't running for president is even more perplexing. happy.png

- Zombie

Agree on all accounts really.

I posted the first two links Google found, there are loads of them. Otherwise yes, Guardian is not my source of damnation sauce. :D

As far as theft or not goes, the items were paid for and not delivered. Somewhere they vanished. Was it a con or theft is just the same for the buyer. But yes, the majority of the guilt is on the seller, if they said no (沒有啦), the original buyer would have received the bought goods. USA did presumably create the environment that made this possible though and you don't do that to a friend.

I do listen to reports from US and it is hard to understand what goes on. At one moment Trump is worried about bodies being stored in refrigerator trucks, the next one he is opening the economy. Also, you have rallies of people "demanding their rights", protesting about the lock-down and so forth, as if someone is trying to hurt them with the restrictions.

I'm afraid someone did the math and figured out that the majority of the people that will die are "useless anyway", mostly elderly who have little value for current economy. And chose to disregard the fact that these same people helped this economy thrive and "made it great". The cheapest solution it to let the pandemics do its job, let it ravage and deal with the consequences.

I do hope the pandemics at least brings some changes to the society, like a softer social cushion one falls onto when say ill.

As for the governor... I can imagine (meh, I probably can't) the insane level of pressure of being a president. Perhaps he is just too smart to take it upon himself. starwars.gif

Zombie, Space. I don't know what to say. I swear Zombie, you cheese head! If you suddenly start posting a bunch of XCOM memorabilia, I know you got your stimulus check.! Space, my dear friend, Trump isn't perfect, and I see a lot of faults within him. Don't buy into the lies brother. If it wasn't for him, my families restaurant would have had to close down. Nerds!

- Love NoX

I swear Zombie, you cheese head! If you suddenly start posting a bunch of XCOM memorabilia, I know you got your stimulus check.!

I haven't made any XCOM/X-COM purchases recently for the simple fact that I'm scared shitless with this pandemic going on. There isn't much out there that I don't have already too. With that said, I'm fine right now without the stimulus check. I still have my job, and although my hours have been cut slightly I can get by. I never asked for a stimulus check and to be honest, I'd be ok with the government not giving it to people who have a job - focusing those funds to the unemployed/severely underemployed, sick, or even better, the medical workers on the front line risking their lives everyday. But hey, I never look a gift horse in the mouth. ;)

My beef is with people who are living beyond their means, high credit card debt, going paycheck to paycheck without a nest egg and expect the government to bail them out when things get tough. I'm sorry, that's their fault. They made their bed and now they have to lie in it. Jobless now? Find one, there are plenty of openings for stocking shelves in grocery stores. No nest egg, no savings? Don't know what to tell you there, you should have been saving all along so you have at least 6 months income. Too many mouths to feed? Don't have so many damn kids, don't order takeout every day and stick to ramen noodles. rolleyes.gif

- Zombie