Elite: Dangerous

Space Voyager

12.193 and counting. (12.200 when I finished the post)

I joined a FleetComm private group (PG) to avoid gankers (people only trying to harm other players, preferably unarmed ones) but I hear they are trying to infiltrate the group... PGs restrict all non-members to be thrown into the same instance as members and if gankers somehow infiltrate the group, there will be carnage. Exploration ships are literally destroyed in seconds.

FD actually discussed the possibility to recreate the destroyed exploration ships with all data and resurrect the player at the location he was in, despite the previous hard stance on Elite being a game where destruction is destruction. They realize that people can not prevent meeting gankers and can not escape. So far the statement was that they will review each case and decide whether it was a situation a player could have avoided or not. Basic prerequisites are that you are in a PvE private group and are not wanted by the authorities.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Frontier finally posted some news on future Elite development.

Back in August, we mentioned that the team had begun work on the next major era of Elite. We believe this will be a defining moment in the history of the game and it will be our biggest update yet.

In that post, we explained that the content was still very early in development, so we won’t be ready to announce it for a while. To give this more context, in order to realise the ambition for this update, and the size and scope of the content we wish to bring to the Elite Dangerous galaxy, we estimate this major milestone will be ready by the latter half of 2020.

As development progresses, we will share more news and announcements on features, as well as timelines regarding this upcoming content for Elite. We can understand that having a long wait for news can be frustrating, but we truly believe that this will be the single most impactful update for our community. Having a development team dedicated to this milestone is our continued and unwavering commitment to making Elite Dangerous the most authentic, ambitious, and expansive evolving space game in the world.

As mentioned in our previous post, this new era will be paid for content and all lifetime expansion pass owners will have this included in their pass.

I find the announcement great, at least we have a confirmation that there will further development of the game, by now some started speculating that the work will halt as the game is not exactly new any more.

As Thor posted, the expedition is going strong, we're doing a mining community goal right now. Unclear whether it is done for the station, as was said previously, or we're actually building a megaship, as the CG mission description says. Whatever, doing some mining is a good distraction from the travel. Also Erazem LOVES to see asteroids being blown apart. Me, too. :D

• 2 weeks later...

He he he, nice to see the coverage. I have to say I don't like FD's decision to populate the centre. It used to be an adventure to go there and come back alive, now that charm is gone. But ok, we're pressing on. IMO most of the gankers are gone by now, especially since waypoint no. 8 was positioned well above the galactic plane and a warship would have serious problems getting there as the stars are so far apart. But I guess some would be willing to lose some armour and so forth just to have another go so we'll be staying in private group for the duration.

Last night a group jump was organized, I'll post pics later. Definitely quite an experience to see some 60 ships gathered and jumping at the same time. For some reasons unknown to mankind, the servers held up and we were able to play the game some more.

• 3 weeks later...

Elite is being updated in April. Quite a lot of new systems will be added, offering a lot of support for the new players. Much needed, though too late for me. :D

Beginners' Zone, Advanced Docking Computer​, Supercruise Assist​, small ships will be outfitted with two additional size one Optional Internal slots, while medium and large ships will also receive one additional Optional Internal slot. This will automatically and retroactively apply to all relevant ships, which will help me in a few months when I get back from DW2 expedition. Would really be glad to have them earlier, I'd be able to bring a repair limpet controller... Also some other improvements, more hidden behind the link.

We thank our intrepid galactic explorer, SV, for this timely report. biggrin.png

A very welcome and long overdue update by all accounts. This should keep some unfortunate loss of property from happening as often at least.

::

Though I expect some less considered landings in challenging environments will continue to prove problematic because upgrading people is a whole other matter... :P

Though I expect some less considered landings in challenging environments will continue to prove problematic because upgrading people is a whole other matter... tongue.png

Absolutely! :D

I'm happy to report changes to Elite even from... well, some halfway from Sag-A* to Beagle Point, which is the most distant place to which you can escape from Sol.

I like the newcomers' additions, though the added modules are far too much. those extra slots make practically all ships omni-potent in exploration, all ships will be self-sufficient for all but indefinitely. I know I'm the minority but I do think space should become more dangerous. Going across the galaxy should be very dangerous for all and bordering on impossible for small ships, very dangerous for medium and a risky endeavour for large. With extra modules one can take both an AFMU (repair thingy for internal modules) and repair limpets (hull and canopy repair) on any ship and go anywhere.

but I don't play this game for the fast-paced thrills and spills of space combat: I play it for the escapism, the atmosphere, and the sense of place. I'm here to fly rust-bucket spaceships, gaze slack-jawed at cosmic scenery, and pretend to exist in a vivid, lived-in science fiction world.

I can very, very much relate to this.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I read at the forums, too... FD is active in this regard though IMO not as strict as one would like.

Anyway, yesterday I landed at one of the asteroid bases, some 3kLYs from the bubble. Finally, I've had quite enough of deep space. Been to the other side of the galaxy and back. Completed mostly all the goals I set for myself. I promised pics and I'll deliver. No promises on dates though.

• 1 month later...

Just for kicks I recorded deep core asteroid mining. This is all the rage in Elite lately, the most profitable activity around - especially if you're after Void opals like I am. Not that I need the credits but mining is also the most polished feature, so I'm enjoying the activity for the time being.

Very refined of you, prospector SV. ;)

I can't help but think that in a real-world scenario navigating that asteroid field would be extremely hazardous. Way too big of a collision risk at every turn, so, in my mind at least, it would make more sense to use some automated unmanned craft to tend to such affairs.

::

Just a walk in the park for you, from what I can tell, though. :)