1,000,000 Posts

Zombie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

2018-05-09 185115.jpg

Photo taken by me just as I was leaving work. It rained almost all day long, except for 30 minutes and the pic was at the tail end of the clearing. Storms were rolling in from the West and the sun was trying to peek out from behind the clouds but wasn't able to. ;)

- Zombie

2018-05-09 185115.jpg

Photo taken by me just as I was leaving work. It rained almost all day long, except for 30 minutes and the pic was at the tail end of the clearing. Storms were rolling in from the West and the sun was trying to peek out from behind the clouds but wasn't able to. wink.png

- Zombie

87, not going to heaven.

Nice photo! In such nice nature photos the thing that always pokes my eye is anything man-made. That damn wire in the lower right corner, dammit! :D

You noticing a beautiful scenery tells that the mood is good!

Nice, You can get some rather striking visuals when the sun is behind heavy rain clouds.

I had really heavy fog this morning. It is dangerous but fascinating as well. It's like you are in a small private world of your own with nothing beyond the mist. The bus trip across the harbour bridge felt more like a ride on a plane.

- NKF

Nice photo! In such nice nature photos the thing that always pokes my eye is anything man-made. That damn wire in the lower right corner, dammit! grin.gif

You noticing a beautiful scenery tells that the mood is good!

My apologies about the wire. The place where I took the photo was the best spot I could get in the short window of time I had (the storms were rolling in pretty fast and I needed to get a photo before the rain showed up and obscured the sun, As it was, walking the one block to my vehicle the sky looked completely different - took a pic there and it didn't turn out). I wanted to get the clouds in the lower left into the pic as they looked the best, but unfortunately the power lines were there. Suppose I could have cropped them out, but hey, I'm not an artist. ;)

Nice, You can get some rather striking visuals when the sun is behind heavy rain clouds.

I had really heavy fog this morning. It is dangerous but fascinating as well. It's like you are in a small private world of your own with nothing beyond the mist. The bus trip across the harbour bridge felt more like a ride on a plane.

It's amazing to me how simple things like darkness or fog completely change your perception of an area. For instance, I used to live in the city when I was younger and still know that area like the back of my hand. But when it gets dark or there is fog I sometimes don't know where I am in the area. happy.png

- Zombie

• 8 months later...

I'm off work today because...

2019-01-30 08.05.jpg

-25C happens sometimes here but that's about the lower limit to how cold it gets (if Lake Michigan isn't frozen over that stored heat will normalize the temps quite a bit, unfortunately it's partially froze leading to colder temps). Took this pic at 7AM and it was -31C so I imagine it was close to -35C during the early morning hours. Not only is it cold, but there are very strong winds so the feels like temp is around the -45 to -50C range. ohmy.png

Honestly, the cold doesn't bother me much. If you dress warm, it's fine. And as we get closer to noon the temps rise a lot so technically going to work at a later time would have been ok. ;)

- Zombie

Technically, or otherwise, Zombie, that's pretty fricking cold! gulp.gif

If that keeps up you won't be needing a refrigerator anymore, as you'll be living in one. wink.png

Besides, the fact you're off work doesn't mean you won't have enough to keep you busy for long all the same, because:

a) those sorts of temperatures mean dealing with ice and snow, which can be a handful both at home and on the road

b) the work you won't do today will still be waiting for you to do it tomorrow, doubled :P

Take care!

Well, I went to work today because we were technically open. It was -28C when I arrived, and by noon the temps went as high as -18C in the sun (or about -23C in the shade). Those 5 extra degrees made it a little tolerable, I just limited my exposure to 15 minute intervals if I needed to go outside. So it wasn't terrible, and I had plenty of work inside to keep me busy (sadly no painting though). Tomorrow it's supposed to be a heat wave at -8C, hehe. happy.png

- Zombie

There were a couple brave souls who came into the store, mostly it was people calling in orders on the phone. The schools were closed, mail delivery cancelled for 2 days (post office was open though) and a lot of the businesses and events were closed, cancelled or postponed. The streets were nearly empty, that was one of the best commutes I've ever had as I could drive as slow careful as I wanted. I think most people just hunkered down at home and didn't bother going out (which was good because you can get yourself into trouble quick with the cold temps). happy.png

Today was about -8C so it felt like a heat wave. I was actually walking between the small garage and the back door without a coat or gloves on and it was comfortable. A lot of people didn't venture out today either. I suspect that they will this weekend as it's supposed to get to +4C! :D

- Zombie

A couple days ago we had temperatures just below freezing as night approached, and a thin layer of snow fell. Nothing strange there. Later on, the temps must've warmed up a bit and the snow switched to rain. Because everything was in the polar vortex deep freeze, that rain immediately froze when it hit creating a hell of a mess. Luckily, that thin layer of snow underneath allowed me to get a shovel underneath to loosen it all up. It could have been a lot worse - I at least made it into work that day. Here's a pic of the cardboard dumpster I took when taking the garbage out in the evening:

2019-02-06 17.23.jpg

Pretty neat how the snow and ice melted in the sun on the black lid, but once it hit the cold air it froze again creating a perfectly curved icicle. laugh.png

- Zombie