UFO Extender

Tycho

Hi Echelon117,

thank you, with my pleasure!

I like that game a lot but I have not much time for playing it more yet.. I just like the game and tries the best to preserve it like it was! But I tested lots of versions and was watching that project for long time, but I prefer 1.31.9 - the only small patch I did into it was the graphics glitches patch of some of the windows.. I may also put here.. It is still not perfect stable - more stable is the 1.34.4 - but 1.34.4 is totally different and have that bugs mentioned - but should be in my opinion most stable.. Even that - the best for playing with the original feeling better use 1.31.9. If it will crash, you can use my battlescape loader for loading the latest crashing mission and play it from beginning again..

With regards

Lukas / ElfKaa

The main problem of the extender versions is that Tycho often not just released fixed version by the next release, but add some new patches into his next release, but usually again with some new bugs smile.png So there is no version that is simply fixed previous version.

It seems to me the latest 1.31.9 is then the most complex fixed, but still not perfect stable and without new patches that is included in the 1.32+

A pity that there is no source code offered by Tycho of the latest extender that will enable someone more skilled then me to continue this work and fix the latest version in the source.

Hi ArivaldH.

If you have constant base defense missions crashes try to disable the equipment screen before the base defense mission start by putting 0 into the "Defence Missions=0" option into bug fix section. Maybe it will help.. I don't believe that this equipment screen option added recently is working at all and in my opinion it may cause problems in the defense mission.

You then have to use my modded 1.34.4m that has this option to disable it and revert back to original behavior. The original 1.34.4 don't include this option!

• 4 months later...

FFS, what have you done Tycho? Geez dwarf.gif

Someone should del all his post-v1.31.9 DL links from ufopaedia so he can only continue from there, just in case reason for his absence is unrecoverable fatal system crash. I ain't even joking. Hope Mr. Tycho is all well and good (and that aliens treat him well) but he shouldn't be allowed to continue from v1.34 in case of comeback tongue.png

Hello everyone, this is my first post here in 5 years - after discovering then-new TFTD Extender which surfaced in a timely coincidence just as I started playing that game out of pure nostalgia. Still have to finish that playthrough, hehe. Today I'm here after deciding to improve the backups of my old X-COM games collection, which are one big disorganized file clutter mess. So in my search to find out what happened to the UFO Extender I ended up here (it didn't even have its own topic when I was last around).

I've read this topic (took good two hours) just to find out, first - wtf UFOe version I was using 5 years ago; and second - to learn about all the updates and see if there were any AI changes (lols). I'd like to thank whoever wrote that Disclaimer section in UFOextender's ufopaedia page, specifically the radical and forced gameplay changes what ol' Tycho put in v1.32. Very visible, to the point and concise.

That cleared all dilemmas I had and made the decision to stick to my old trusty Seb76's v1.22 (which, after long research, I found was the version I've used in 2012). The thing served me whole game without a single crash or bug. Just pure original game as God intended, fixed to work on modern OS while adding 'quality of life' improvements all without the lame bugs that the devs missed.

Don't understand what thought process lead him to 1.32 but I was glad to see some people resisted. There should have been more. I personally hate forceful changes that affect original gameplay, especially when in this particular case the game + extender is only one of two ways to play the game in its original form on todays PCs. The other being XcomUtil (something) but is much more involved to set up. And it was a feckin cardinal sin to remove all the option customizations. No excuse.

Still I gotta hand it to him - he dealt with the bug reports like a champ. I don't see that level of dedication often. Hope the dude is OK.

And I'm eternally grateful to him for releasing TFTDe in its infant form as it enabled me to play the game right away.

Well, that's all I got for now. See yaa in TFTD Extender in a few days when I come around sorting my backup of that game...

Last time I left just as he started talking about AI changes in there (lols) and the topic grew like a mtf since. Can't wait... geez.

P.S.

It was fun reading early enthusiastic posts made by mercy and later, the very kind ElfKaa. Made going through this Decameron a lot easier smile.png

• 1 year later...

I got this error

„Application failure

XCOM crashed at 0x10001513 with error 0xC0000005 trying to access 0x027FFD2

and

XCOM crashed at 0x455BCA with error 0xC00000094”

The first happened at the base and the second happened when I shot down an UFO with an Avenger and I wanted to start the mission.

These errors happened with the 1.34beta4 version, and the Silacoids are too heavy to kill even with Plasma Rifle in this version.

• 6 months later...
... with the 1.34beta4 version, and the Silacoids are too heavy to kill even with Plasma Rifle in this version.

As I remember this "modification" Tycho add because of that it is told somewhere and it should follow the description of Silacoid race. I also dislike this patch and I tried to remove it also.. But as Tycho did not uploaded source, it is more harder to modify it in binary..

• 3 months later...

Hello everyone,

if someone of you is still interested to the old original UFO game Extender, I attached again new moded 1.34.5 with option to disable Silacoid Resistance mod Tycho add without possibility to disable to the original 1.34 version of the patcher.dll. You can now add the line:

Silacoid Res=0

into Bug Fix section into the .ini configuration file to disable this Silacoid resistancy modification.

eLK

patcher.zip

• 4 years later...