Let's Paint!

Zombie

The weather finally decided to cooperate today, so I came into work a little earlier to paint the smaller garage door. Why did I come in earlier? Well, the sun comes around to the door around 1:00pm. I can still paint in the sun, but sometimes it dries a little too fast. Sure, that latex paint additive will help in full sun conditions, but why chance it. Paint it in the shade and it'll keep problems to a minimum. Plus, the earlier I come in, the more time I'll have to paint without the usual interruptions.

My can of touch-up paint was nearing the end, so I had to open up a new one. It had settled out quite a bit so it took a while to incorporate everything together. As always, I added a few tablespoons of latex paint additive and stirred that in too. Originally I was going to roll the paint on the panels and brush the rest. However, after getting into the brushing I figured I could do the whole thing and skip the roller. Why? The latex additive had made the paint so smooth it wasn't leaving any brushstrokes. Always a pleasure to work with a paint like that. Here's what it currently looks like:

rsz_dsc09468.jpg

Now, that's beautiful! And it only has one coat on it. I'll probably roll on the final coat though. And of course, the area above the service door and frame still needs a coat. (You can really tell the difference between the old and the new paint in the pic). wink.png

Hopefully I can get around to that back garage door tomorrow or Saturday. That's going to need the usual treatment of touching up the caulked areas with the brown paint and then going over the entire door with the first coat. smile.png

- Zombie

Report: Passed Inspection.

Looks very smooth indeed, Zombie.

Still, you'll have to forgive me for finding the tonality a little drab. But maybe applying an extra coating that is a bit more saturated will help.

So, after you left yesterday I went ahead and took care of it for you.

repainting_small_garage_door_for_Zombie.jpg

Honestly, tell me it's not way better now!

People will find it much more appealing. A more vibrant, thematically fitting colour will catch the eye of the clients and business will flourish. grin.gif

It may be drab, but you have to realize the building has a 3-color scheme. The bricks are a "Taffy Apple" (light caramel color), the wood features are "Cottage Brown" (which kinda matches the brown rain gutters after the paint weathers) and the doors and windows are a "Leaf Rust" (a somewhat bright red, actually more of a blood red). That is the vibrancy part.

Dunno who is supposed to find your color more appealing. Mr Bossman wouldn't, and probably a good chunk (if not all) of the employees too. And honestly, I'd hate to be the one applying that paint. Because of the saturation, the paint "base" would have to be either a transparent or a pastel base, and neither of those cover very well due to lack of pigment. If I was a professional painter and a customer wanted to me to paint that color, I'd try to talk them out of it first. (Sometimes as a professional it's your job to save the customer from themselves). If it had to be that color for a specific reason I'd agree to paint it (but would probably not be too happy).

Years ago I helped paint a historic building in my city (it was 120+ years old) which had a white background with green highlights. The white wasn't the problem, the green was. We needed to apply 3 heavy coats to get anything to cover (due to the transparent mixing base). That was bordering on nightmare territory as you end up setting up all your ladders and scaffolding each day to repaint an area you just did the day before. So not only do you use more paint, but also you spend three times as much time. And time is money. In the case of the historic building, we were stuck using the same green color as before due to city ordinances and that color could only be achieved with a transparent mixing base. We tried in vain to find a solution by switching to a white base (which has more pigment - usually TiO2), but you can't get the deep level of saturation with all that white. :(

Anyhow, I couldn't get around to any painting the last few days. The humidity levels were just insane (it was so humid here that it almost looked like fog). The next few days it's also supposed to rain. Hopefully after the weather settles down a bit I'll be able to get back at it. In the meantime I'm working on other projects around the shop which need to get done eventually, but I'm betting I can paint the inside of the back garage door sometime. ;)

- Zombie

Did you say blooood? *obscure Count Duckula cartoon reference tongue.png*

repainting_small_garage_door_for_Zombie_(r).jpg

Alright, Mr. Pantone, you've set the record straight and I'll stop messing about. wink.png

Didn't realize there were so many surrounding colour constraints. Obviously, it needs to conform in some way to what's already there, so you'll be just fine with what you've got going, Zombie.

Well, on Monday we had rain in the forecast. Normally I wouldn't bother painting, but I figured that by the time the rain arrived it would be dry enough. So I started from the top and put a light coat on the caulked areas. There is a slight overhang above the door so it is a little bit protected, plus the door faces North so that protects it from the driving Westerly or Southern rain. I only got down to the top of the windows before I hung it up for the day as it was getting dark in the West signaling rain. It poured all night long, but everything looked fine on Tuesday.

Since I had some success on Monday I figured I'd try my luck and hit those lower panels with some paint. Here again, rain was forecast so I had to work fast. I started by putting a coat on the frame around the windows as they really needed it, then worked my way down to the lower panels. I got all that done and was called away to another project.

rsz_dsc09469.jpg

Only an hour went by and the heavens opened up with pouring rain, strong winds and tornado warnings. The rain was pelting my paint job, and all I could do was stand there, watch, and hope it cured enough. There was a little foaminess running down the windows but no colorant so that was a good sign. Today when I came in it all looked fine. Got lucky there. sweat.gif

After the rain passed through, the temperature went down, and so did the humidity. It was sunny too, with no rain in the forecast so it's time to work on applying a first coat to everything. I started with the frame around the windows again as it needed another coat. Before doing that I put some blue exterior grade tape on the top part of the window to make it easier to paint. As for the sides, I had to leave them untaped because I needed to get paint into the crack between the frame and the window. It's easier just cutting them in with a steady hand, and leaving a little bead of paint on the window itself to prevent water from getting in there.

After getting the frame done, it was on to the door. Here again, I just brushed on the paint as there were virtually no brush marks. Everything got a good coat.

rsz_dsc09472.jpg

Looks fabulous! You might be able to see that some of the paint was wet when the pic was taken, but I'm sure it's dry now. It's obviously going to get a final coat with the roller to smooth everything out, and I still need another layer on the frame around the windows. It's what I call a 10-foot paint job: looks good from 10 feet away, but get any closer and you'll see some imperfections (like the Tuff-Kote areas - can't get those to be totally smooth).whistling.gif

The next three days there is scattered t-storms forecast, so maybe I'll get around to the inside of the doors. Well, at least the back door as there shouldn't be any more water infiltration on that. The smaller door has it's old panes in just loosely (no glazing) so water will get through if there is a slight West wind with the rain. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it though. sleep.png

- Zombie

• 3 weeks later...

I think it was about 10 days ago that I started to work on the inside of the large (back) garage door. As you may recall, we left off with it having just a primer coat. I painted the upper half on one day, and that included a coat on the muntin bars (the space between the bars and the window was about a millimeter max in some spots so I had to really pile it on). It was really warm so I turned on a fan to get some air movement back there which seemed to help with drying too. The next day I painted the lower half of the door and also put another coat on the muntin bars paying even closer attention to apply paint to any spaces between the glass and wood. All in all, it turned out great. Unfortunately it's always so dark back there that it was tough trying to get good pics. First, the full door:

2018-09-04 161745.jpg

And here's a close up with a better angle:

2018-09-04 161813.jpg

Now the only issue is that I'm running low on paint. I think I have a quart can of white semigloss interior paint from the same company floating around somewhere, so I might just add that to the remainder of the exterior stuff and that should be enough to finish both doors. I'd hate to buy another gallon of paint and then only use a half a quart. ;)

Oh, and I applied about 3 coats of paint to the exterior muntin bars of the large door to fill in any spaces. It's at that point where I think one more coat should do the trick. I also put another coat on the frame around the door and the building and also around the windows as that area was a little rough. Now that it's pretty smooth, the final coat should be a breeze. I had to get another gallon of the brown exterior paint as I only had about a quart remaining, and while I was there I picked up a can of window glazing too. Window glazing is like putty, except it goes between glass and wood to form a tight seal to prevent water from getting inside. I'll be using that to install the three new panes of Lexan for the smaller door.

Besides the painting, I have been working around the outside of the shop trying to get ready for fall. It's still nice out so I need to take advantage of the weather to get some of the other little projects finished. We have a greenhouse on-site, and the wood holding the plastic skin was getting pretty moldy, so that needs to get cleaned. Before pic:

2018-09-13 143225.jpg

It's nasty. Blobs of mold growing between the wood and the plastic, plus a thin coat of mildew on the wood itself. I scraped off as much of the mold as I could, then lightly sanded the mildew areas to loosen it up. The wood itself was originally purchased as green treated with a preservative (non-cyanide formula) so there shouldn't be any rotten areas. Since the wood is the same stuff which is used for decks (except not as wide) I decided to use a commercial moldy deck wash (containing bleach and lye, NaOCl+NaOH), but then further modified by adding more bleach and a few squirts of a commercial soap disinfectant/deodorizer. That went into a pump which was sprayed on to the wood: one coat to "wet" the surface, a second came with scrubbing, and a final application with a little more scrubbing. Then a light rinse with clear water. After pic:

2018-09-13 171408.jpg

Much better. Still looks a little dark in the pic because it wasn't dry yet. Plus, due to the light rinse, the bleach and lye and disinfectant will continue to work - even after the outside is dry. I took a pic of the other side which I did the day before to show how it looks dry:

2018-09-13 171350.jpg

It looks even better now. This week will be a mix of more painting and outside work if the weather permits. I'm sure I'll get at least one good day to get something done. :D

- Zombie

• 2 weeks later...
Oh, and I applied about 3 coats of paint to the exterior muntin bars of the large door to fill in any spaces. It's at that point where I think one more coat should do the trick.

I was looking at the back garage door today and noticed there is still cracks between the moldings and the glass. I've been piling on the coats of paint hoping to fill them in but it's no use. I think the reason why is because every time we open the door to bring a vehicle in or out (or to accept large deliveries) it causes vibration. Apparently, the glazing is a little loose on those panes and all the movement just opens it up again. I'm at an impasse at this time as I don't want to take the muntin bars off from the inside, reglaze, reinstall the panes and bars and then repaint the outside of the moldings. If this happened when I first started painting the door, then I probably could have did just that. Now that it's later in the season it'll be tough to fit that in. I think what I might do is caulk the cracks and then put one more coat of paint. Caulk will flex so that's probably better anyway.

The replacement panes of Lexan still haven't arrived for the smaller garage door. The owner of the glass store was always slow at getting stuff for us and I suppose it didn't help he retired at the end of August. So I'll probably have to touch base with the new owner and reorder, Not sure if reordering is going to be necessary as the panes might be there, but uncut. In any case though, I need to start a fire to get some action as there are going to be precious few days left to do the work as fall is coming.

I couldn't do much painting the last week or so because I tore a muscle in my leg. I've been icing it down every night which helps, but getting on a ladder or even walking a lot is difficult. On top of that, the roof of one of our unattached garages has been leaking for a while and I really wanted to address that before it gets too cold. A few weeks ago I went up there and patched the areas where I thought there were cracks, but there were a couple areas yet that were leaking. I found the crack causing one of the leaks by inspection (pro tip: if you know where a leak is from inside but are having trouble locating it on the roof, pound a nail in from below. find that, pull it out and patch the area). The second leaking area I also found rather by accident. Water was running in between the roof and the drip edge of the gutter due to a loose nail. I loosened up the nail to widen the crack, filled it with roofing cement, pounded a couple more nails in and patched the nail heads. I then went along the edge of the roof and applied cement to any suspect areas. It rained lightly last night and this morning when I checked there were no leaks anymore. Hurray! banana.gif

Since the back cooler has been off for the last couple weeks I decided that I should touch up any areas of the floor which needed attention. There were a couple spots where the paint had flaked off so I filled those in. Since I had a wet brush, some time, and a nice day I figured I'd paint the lower shelf of the two rolling tables. No sense in rolling on the polyurethane, nobody will ever look that close at the lower shelves and the paint did a great job of covering without brushmarks. Here they are, sunning themselves in front of the the smaller garage door:

2018-09-26 160339.jpg

Kinda tough to see how the paint looks so I took a pic in the shade with a little reflection from the windows of the store.

2018-09-26 160512.jpg

Looks a hell of a lot better now. woot.gif

A while back I noticed a few spots I missed on the expanded metal side of the table. Instead of hauling out the brush, I just sprayed some gloss grey paint on the metal. The color wasn't a perfect match, but it's probably so close nobody will notice. Unfortunately there was a lot of overspray and parts of the top of the table have some of that paint on it (you can probably make that out from the first pic). No worries though, I was planning on repainting the top anyway. happy.png

Tomorrow I'll probably paint the metal frame of the tables and then that will be finished. As for what's next, who knows. I need to touch up the inner frame of the smaller garage door windows as that just has brown primer on it. I forgot the inside will be white so the part that's visible from the inside needs to be white too. Not sure if I'll put another coat on the inside of the garage doors this year anymore. Honestly, it looks fine the way it is right now. The outside of the doors is probably the same story, though I think I really should at least get a coat on the panels yet. There is also the issue that there is a pretty big space between the door and the frame in some spots (mostly on the back door). My fix is probably going to include cutting some moldings out of scrap 3/4" pine, priming those and screwing them to the frame to plug the gap. Will have to work on that this week at home as I don't have a table saw at my job. Oh well. dntknw.gif

- Zombie

Leak detection, wood repairs, restoration and general carpentry, insulation work, painting with brush or roller, spray painting, paint mixing and matching, detailing, post-job inspection and fixes - ZombieWorks: Experience Excellence! cool.png

I see you've had no shortage of self-assigned troubleshooting tasks alongside finishing the painting stuff.

The rolling tables' lower shelves turned out quite nice and even. Approved! smile.png

It would be best if you started prioritizing more sharply at this point though, I think. Perfectionism can be detrimental if you overly indulge.

After all, as you say, Fall will likely manifest itself before too long. You're nursing a leg to boot, so try not to cripple yourself in the process of completing absolutely everything. wink.png

It would be best if you started prioritizing more sharply at this point though, I think. Perfectionism can be detrimental if you overly indulge.

I do prioritize pretty well, been working at this job for just about 30 years now so I know how fast things can change. That's why I've been patching roofs, cleaning the greenhouse and now the inside of the garage (during iffy weather at least). I think I'm right where I should be at this point assuming the weather cooperates. Today there was a chance for rain so I couldn't do anything outside, but that gave me a chance to catch up on some inside work which I have been neglecting due to the good weather. It all works out in the end.

After all, as you say, Fall will likely manifest itself before too long. You're nursing a leg to boot, so try not to cripple yourself in the process of completing absolutely everything. wink.png

I will never complete everything on my to-do list, but I try to cross off as many of them as I can. I'm only one guy, and I have other responsibilities besides painting or maintenance. So whatever I finish will be great because nobody else would do anything if I was not there. If winter would come tomorrow, I'd be happy with what I did, but that smaller garage door really needs to get done soon. That's the priority. ;)

- Zombie

This past weekend I was able to put the final coat on the floor of the back cooler. I did touch up a few spots where there was some loose paint the day before, but it was only like 3 small spots and a couple discolored areas - nothing major.

2018-09-29 160445.jpg 2018-09-29 160507.jpg

The first pic shows the cracks and some of the areas I touched up, which have almost disappeared with the final coat. The second pic I was trying to show how shiny it is and the sand finish. By this point the sand finish has about 2 coats on top of it, but there's still plenty of traction. Here's a pic of the final result:

2018-10-02 170410.jpg

Any odd colors is just from the reflections going on. On top of that, the leaves are starting to turn colors and that may add a strange hue also. In any event, looks great! :)

Earlier this year I scraped the wood fascia board on another garage we have on the property. I never got around to priming that, so I made a beeline for that the other day. I still had some of that brown oil primer left, but when I opened the can there was a thick skin on it. After removing the skin, the paint underneath was just about unusable as there were blobs in it. I ended up reconstituting the leftovers by adding a splash of Xylol to dissolve the blobs, some boiled linseed oil to add body, and a tad paint thinner to aid in drying. That seemed pretty good so I primed the fascia. Since I was there with the ladder and putty knife, I might as well scrape the loose paint on the wall.

2018-10-03 164122.jpg

However, that's as far as I got. And it rained heavily last night which was stressful - you always wonder if the paint had enough time to dry before it got wet. No problems though, this morning it was fine. A little more scraping and I was ready to prime.

2018-10-04 15.43.jpg

With that done, I better caulk the crack between the fascia board and the block wall. Then I put on a coat of latex brown paint on the board, and finished the whole thing off by touching up the primer spots with the top coat.

2018-10-04 17.28.jpg

Not bad, at least it doesn't look terrible anymore. The fascia is probably going to require 2 more coats of latex as the wood was dry and the glossiness of the primer is still visible. I really hate the mortar joints on this garage wall though. Someone (a long time ago in the past) probably tried to tuck point the joints but didn't know what they were doing and just overfilled the joints. Not only does it look bad, but any water that gets to the mortar will cause the stuff to loosen up so you have to scrape. I did my best to knock down the high spots which had loose paint, but really, the whole thing should be fixed. I will caulk any low areas in the joints before painting the block though, so that'll protect it against water. :)

- Zombie

Spick and span! That back cooler's floor now looks almost good enough to eat off of, Zombie. :)

And it seems one can't keep eyes off you for long, or it shall soon be discovered that another building has suddenly become painted! ;)

That other garage does need a few more coats of paint, as the last picture lets transpire the ghosts of your scraping.

Other than that, and in all honesty, beyond sylistic effect that fascia board there is a bit of a puzzling choice, as building conservation goes, from where I'm standing at least.

Spick and span! That back cooler's floor now looks almost good enough to eat off of, Zombie. smile.png

Probably, though I'd wait a few weeks to let the VOC's dissipate.

Presently, the cooler is still off-limits to foot traffic. It's dry, and I've walked on it a little, but I just want to make sure it sets up decently.

And it seems one can't keep eyes off you for long, or it shall soon be discovered that another building has suddenly become painted! wink.png

Yup, don't stand still for too long or else you may find you've been painted too! :D

That other garage does need a few more coats of paint, as the last picture lets transpire the ghosts of your scraping.

Of course. I'll probably hit the white primer spots with another light coat to cover anything which is peeking out, then go over the whole thing with one coat. The paint I'm using is excellent at hiding so it shouldn't require multiple coats to look good.

Other than that, and in all honesty, beyond sylistic effect that fascia board there is a bit of a puzzling choice, as building conservation goes, from where I'm standing at least.

I don't follow you, can you rephrase please? blush.png

- Zombie

To clarify that last bit, Zombie - I may well have expressed myself poorly or incorrectly there.

What I actually meant to reference: the wood planks seen on the upper part of the wall of the garage and how their mostly decorative employment is often detrimental to a building's conservation due to how humidity is retained there.

Of course, if it's regularly and properly treated by you to resist the elements it won't ever be much of an issue. ;)

What I actually meant to reference: the wood planks seen on the upper part of the wall of the garage and how their mostly decorative employment is often detrimental to a building's conservation due to how humidity is retained there.

Ah, got it! Well, the fascia board is a necessary part of the construction of the garage. It's not just decorative. It's role is to bridge the two dissimilar materials (concrete block wall and the dimensional lumber rafters) and overlap the space between them to prevent the elements from infiltrating. Suppose other materials could be used (like aluminum flashing) but wood is cheap and relatively long lasting assuming you keep up with the maintenance aspect. sweat.gif

I almost forgot to mention that I finished the space above the service door next to the small garage door the other day. I think it has 3 coats on it which should protect it from the harsh sun and rain/snow/ice/etc.

2018-10-08 171152.jpg

That didn't take too long so I put another coat on the fascia board and flashing. Since I brushed it on while in full sun and didn't bother to keep a wet edge it dried spotty. No issues though as it still requires another coat, all that matters is that the final application has a wet edge (going to try to paint it on a cloudy day).

The day was still young, and the mortar joints on the wall needed some attention yet. As I said before, these joints are the worst I've ever seen. Either they were overfilled with mortar (meaning they were "proud" of the wall and blobby) or the mortar was angled in the joint. Mortar should be concave and smooth in the joint, and this isn't very difficult to achieve. Whoever built the wall was a wannabe mason as was the person who tried (and failed) to tuck point the joints. To fix this properly I would have to cut out some of the mortar in the joints and then add new mortar (tuck point) and smooth it out with a jointer. That's out of my scope as I don't have the tools or the time. Here's a pic what a jointer looks like:

9-08_art_tools8.jpg

So what can I do in my time frame? Well, I knocked down the high spots as much as I could to make those more even. As for the low spots (or angled joints), I can't tuck point them as they are not deep enough to hold the mortar in, but I can caulk the spots to make it appear like the joints are proper. A tube of caulking later, and here's what the wall looks like:

2018-10-08 171223.jpg

The joints looked a little wet yet because the caulk hadn't set up (it was really humid here yesterday). There were a few areas I missed when scraping, so I primed them too. Unfortunately I didn't get the whole wall caulked. Today I tackled caulking the remainder of the joints that needed attention (pro tip: it's really nice having a caulk color which closely matches the color you are going to paint - I got lucky as the caulk brand had a stock color that was really close). After that, I decided I'd "prime" the caulked joints with some finish coat paint, but while doing that I also primed some of the uncaulked joints too as some were pretty rough. I know that trying to fill the pores with a roller later on would be hit or miss, so pre-filling the pores with paint from a brush saves some time and effort. And hey, since I was doing that, I might as well get out the big roller and go over everything. I got about 3/4 of the way done and it started to rain. Crap! As I was bringing everything inside, the rain subsided a bit so I decided to risk it and continue brushing the joints at least. Things got iffy as it started to rain again, but I toughed it out and held strong and soon enough the cloud passed by. One more push to roll the rest of the wall and touch up the bottom and I was done.

rsz_2018-10-09_171205.jpg

Much better! As I was inspecting my work, I noticed that some of the joints were more glossy than the rest so the wall is going to need another coat at some point. But for now it at least looks decent. :)

- Zombie

I stand enlightened about the fascia board, and properly introduced to the jointer, Zombie. tongue.png

Your caulking work to camouflage the mortar joints issue seems to have done the trick well enough.

You persisted, enduring the temporarily adverse elements, and it paid off - as is, the tone is sufficiently uniform. A rather pleasant outcome despite the challenges faced. smile.png

True, really cool work, both details! Damn, this thread really brings back the painful memories of all the damn details you get confronted with after thinking all you're going to do is for instance paint door... When I continue with renovating the house, I'm calling you for help, Z!

Sounds like fun! I work for cheap too, all I ask for is a beer (or two) drink.gif and a good meal. pie.gif

Well, the weather has changed here. At nights the temp is right around the freezing point. That kinda curtails painting as you have to let things warm up first, then paint fast and pray there's enough time for it to dry before it cools down too much again. I think the paint I'm using is good down to 35F (or 2C), but I like to keep a good buffer to make sure everything sets up properly.

Today was sunny and fairly warm so I had a little time to muck around with painting in between projects. I put another coat on the fascia board and it looks pretty good now so I might be done with that. I also touched up some spots on the wall where the rain dissolved some of the caulk near the ground where it dried to a different color. Then I painted the frame of another door the brown color and touched up a few areas with the caramel wall paint.

That smaller garage's roof isn't leaking much anymore since I got up there and patched, but all that water really made a mess of the wood. Some of the wood is rotten and other areas the paint has flaked off. I worked on fixing that up the best I could (not looking for perfect results as I think some wood needs to be replaced next year anyway). But there is also some wood paneling on the smaller garage door which is faded and flaking paint. I touched it up this summer, but I figured I might as well paint it too since winter will just make it worse. Today I pre-painted the decorative cuts in it with a brush because then I can just roll the paneling at one time. Before winter comes I do need to get back up on the roof because I noticed a couple tiny leaks yet (nothing significant - it's just nice to batten down the hatches completely).

Sorry, no pics of anything though. I'll try to take some more. :)

- Zombie

So here's what the side of the small garage looks like (I put another coat of paint on the fascia board):

2018-10-18 164229.jpg

In my previous post I talked about painting the wood paneling on the other side of the small garage. Kinda hard to explain what it looks like, but a picture is worth 1000 words. This is how my touch-up looked:

2018-10-18 144457.jpg

The grooves are cut in every foot (so 30cm) and 4 sections make up a panel (the panels are standard size here which are 4'(feet) wide x 8' high). In the pic you can probably see there are 4 panels altogether. I paid special attention to the bottom of the panels because sometimes snow piles up there. It really is amazing how the color of the paint changes due to weathering, even though the panels face East.

Side note, I installed these panels mostly by myself in the mid-to-late-90's. The paneling that was on the garage was pretty rotten so I took it upon myself to fix it up. Purchased the panels at a home center, and put a coat of wood preservative fortified with more boiled linseed oil on it to start for protection, then put a coat of primer on it plus two top coats of latex paint. Before putting up the panels I also installed some aluminum flashing at the bottom part of the wall (might be able to make that out from the pic). Part of the wall has wood studs, so I nailed the panels into them, and for the last section that overlapped on to the concrete block wall, I drilled holes and anchored the panels.

Anyhow, I got out the big roller again and applied the paint:

2018-10-18 164205.jpg

Apologies, the lower left has a reflection on it, and the paint was a tiny bit wet yet (might be able to see a lighter "stripe" at the top of the panels where I pre-painted). Rest assured though, the paint job was uniform after it dried. I checked it out today and it was perfect.

When I was painting, I peeked on the roof to see if I could find one of the leaks and actually located it quite easily (finding leaks can be quite frustrating sometimes). Today it was raining a little and I found another small leak between the gutter and the fascia board which I need to fix yet. Speaking of the fascia, I didn't paint that. It requires a lot of scraping and priming to be able to get that completed before winter. If I do get the time (and the weather cooperates) I might get that done though. ;)

- Zombie

Quality finish on the fascia board and that side of the small garage overall, Zombie. No sign of brush strokes or ghosting from the prior caulking/detailing. :)

You really got into the groove then with the wood paneling (pun intended :P) on the other side as the photos let transpire. Seems like the roller you used had no issue properly covering the entirety of the panels, groovy bits included.

Hope you manage to get around to the leaky bits in time. As you know water always finds a way and mustn't be allowed to continue seeping in. Don't let it rain down on your parade! ;)

Quality finish on the fascia board and that side of the small garage overall, Zombie. No sign of brush strokes or ghosting from the prior caulking/detailing. smile.png

Thanks, though maybe the pics didn't capture what my keen eye picks up IRL. The fascia board is fine, but the metal flashing has hints of overlap yet. Fixable, but maybe not this year anymore.

You really got into the groove then with the wood paneling (pun intended tongue.png) on the other side as the photos let transpire. Seems like the roller you used had no issue properly covering the entirety of the panels, groovy bits included.

The groovy bits were not included, I only brushed them. ;) I would like to mention that splurging and getting a decent roller cover is worth every penny. I purchased two roller covers back in 1998-1999-ish because the local paint store was closing them out, I got them for approximately 60% off. What drew me to them was that they were constructed mostly with lambs wool. I've used these covers almost every year for multiple paint projects and they are still going strong. As long as you clean them out good after every use, I don't see why they shouldn't last another 20 years. The throwaway covers are fine if you are priming, but for the top coats - use something good.

Hope you manage to get around to the leaky bits in time. As you know water always finds a way and mustn't be allowed to continue seeping in. Don't let it rain down on your parade! wink.png

The roofing patch I'm using is petroleum based, so I can use it in freezing conditions and even if there is standing water (the last part is a dubious claim as I tried it one time and the tar didn't stick). This stuff is has fibers in it, so it can be hard to get it to be smooth, but I found that splashing a little paint thinner in and mixing it up helps tremendously. On the other hand, the thinned cement can sag if put on a vertical surface, so you have to watch that. happy.png

- Zombie

Today's weather was fairly nice (chilly, but sunny at least) so I went up on the roof of the small garage and did some patching. I fixed the two areas that were leaking, and while I was up there and only had a little bit of roofing cement left I figured I should use it up. Remember that brown fascia board and how terrible it looked before? Well, I think why it got so bad was because there was a crack running along the length of the roof and metal flashing which is above the fascia. The water must've made it's way through the crack and then worked it's way behind the flashing and exiting on the fascia itself (hence the peeling). So I piled on a nice heavy application of cement taking care to get as much of it into the crack as possible. Now it looks like everything is sealed so my hope is that will solve the issue.

I only had a little bit of cement left, so I continued on patching along where the roof meets the back wall. There are a lot of cracks there, but I rarely if ever see water coming in along the wall which makes me believe that it's not critical to patch them (by "critical" I mean something that will cause major problems over the winter). It's an issue though, and I don't want those becoming worse either. The last of the cement was used to patch as many cracks as I could. I got about halfway and ran out so I think I'll get another pail and continue on. I don't mind carrying extra roofing cement into winter as you never know if you need to make an emergency repair. Anyhow, next time I'm up on the roof I'll snap some pics to give you an idea. :)

In the painting area, I'm currently working on a project which has been causing me headaches for years. See, there's a big space between the door of the back garage and the frame which allows cold air, rain, snow and sometime bugs and debris to filter in. The back garage is unheated, so it's not a big deal for 99% of the year. But we use the back garage on Valentines Day for deliveries and it cannot get below 40F (5C) there. I normally stuff plastic bags or plastic sheeting in the crack that day to allow the heaters to make progress, but a more permanent fix would be nice.

The other day I brought some pine boards home, cut some strips out of them and also cut off one corner at 45 degrees so the end isn't too sharp. I just finished priming them today, then it'll be one coat of brown latex paint on top and after that I can install them along the door and frame. When that's done, then I can finish it off with a final coat of latex (if necessary). I took some pics, but forgot to bring the camera along so I'll do that tomorrow. ;)

- Zombie

This is a trick isn't it? Because it seems to me, Zombie, all this stray cementing... can only lead to yet more joyous, compulsory painting down the line. ;)

As for that big space between the door of the back garage and the frame, I guess you can get away with using the pine strips you mention to plug it up - provided you go all the way to that final coat of latex, or I suspect it will be iffy on the durability front, given the general characteristics of that type of wood and the expectable harshness of the elements.

This is a trick isn't it? Because it seems to me, Zombie, all this stray cementing... can only lead to yet more joyous, compulsory painting down the line. wink.png

Nah, I can't paint on top of the coating - especially the horizontal areas. The vertical areas though, are fair game. :)

As for that big space between the door of the back garage and the frame, I guess you can get away with using the pine strips you mention to plug it up - provided you go all the way to that final coat of latex, or I suspect it will be iffy on the durability front, given the general characteristics of that type of wood and the expectable harshness of the elements.

I'm not going to put in all the effort of cutting moldings, and installing them without protecting my work with paint. And as I said before, if you keep up with maintenance on the wood, it can last nearly forever. happy.png

Here's what I'm talking about with the big space between the garage door and the frame:

2018-10-22 154031.jpg

This is the upper left corner when looking at it from outside. You can clearly see the braided wire cable on the inside which is used to open the door. It's quite a big gap. Oh, and if you are wondering what those black specks are on my new paint job, well, those are dead insects. Dunno why they decided to congregate and die there, but the whole door is covered in them. sick.gif

Might as well show those strips of wood I cut:

2018-10-22 153947.jpg2018-10-22 162711.jpg2018-10-24 174256.jpg

The first pic shows everything ready to go. I set up sawhorses outside, put some used plywood on top of the horses and cardboard on top of that. I'm using the mis-tinted oil primer and a throwaway Chinese bristle brush (primer is tough on brushes so you might as well use something you don't care about, although with this particular brush I've been using it all summer long). The second pic shows the wood with one coat of primer on it (only one side was primed in the pic, but after it dried I primed the remainder). The final pic shows the wood with one coat of brown latex on the front (that side is facing down on the cardboard), and two coats on the back (that side is facing up). So this means the wood will be ready to install, all I need to do after that is put another coat on the side facing the elements. banana.gif

While I had the brown paint out, I figured I might as well paint a metal door which leads into the store. It's been a long time since I painted this door and there was a little rust starting to form so it's a good idea.

2018-10-24 150027.jpg2018-10-24 174223.jpg

First pic shows the door as-is - except I taped it up already. The second pic shows the door after a single coat. There's some lines in it from the roller I used because the paint isn't dry yet. Hopefully those lines will disappear tomorrow after the paint has time to dry. sleep.png

No pics of the roof of the garage where I cemented the cracks, I just didn't have time to get up there today. I did pick up a new gallon of the cement so I'm ready to go when I get the time. Tomorrow I need to head to the paint store to pick up a gallon of the caramel and brown paint, some caulk and possibly a gallon of polyurethane which will be used for the red boards shown in the last pic where the strips have brown paint on them. Might not get to that this year anymore, but at least I'll have it on hand when the time comes. angel.gif

- Zombie