Any trouble logging in?

NKF

Based on past experience, I'm not overly optimistic everything's back to normal yet.

Likewise. Actually, when I was logged in and looked at the recent changes page earlier, it glitched out and was unformatted. Dunno if it was my machine which is to blame, so I'm tossing it out here just in case anyone else experiences an unformatted page.

Just wish there was a bit more communication as to what is happening.

I'd be happy with a "Just fixed a problem with X, everything should be running fine now" post. A little transparency would go a long way to easing any tensions. Right now it's like a "black box". ;)

- Zombie

Hey folks, quick update.

Had an e-mail from Pete and he has managed to make contact with Jo5hua. It appears the reason we've been unable to contact Jo5hua was largely in part thanks to hurricane Irma. That does help put some context to why it's been difficult to contact him. Fingers crossed he will be back on board soon.

-NKF

It seems UFOPaedia is back online today.

With over a year gone since it has been hosted in Jo5hua's forums, I think I have a good idea of what to expect at this point if it continues to be hosted by him. He doesn't have time or the motivation to be a proper admin, and there will always be a reason for things not to happen (hurricanes, etc.)

So, it's either the current situation, or move it to another server (I can ask NineX, who is currently hosting the OpenXCom site and forums) but there will still be a need for someone to step up and be in charge of the UFOPaedia.

What do you all say?

So, it's either the current situation, or move it to another server (I can ask NineX, who is currently hosting the OpenXCom site and forums) but there will still be a need for someone to step up and be in charge of the UFOPaedia.

What do you all say?

Hmmm. Well, the server which the wiki is on now is stable and hasn't caused any problems right? It's the wiki software which probably isn't playing nice. But if the problem is having an admin around to fix any issues which crop up then switching to a different server isn't going to fix that. If I'm understanding this correctly, then moving wouldn't do any good (and will probably cause more downtime in the switchover). mellow.png

So the question is: is Jo5hua's server stable and reliable in the long term? If it is, I'd say stick with that. If he can't guarantee any type of server (not wiki) maintenance to keep the wiki accessible, then I'd opt for NineX as long as someone here (and preferably more than one) has access to the part of the server which the wiki is stored on. wink.png Can you ask about that Hobbes?

Then of course we'd have to deal with getting someone to admin the software side. That's kinda the bigger issue we have right now.

- Zombie

So the question is: is Jo5hua's server stable and reliable in the long term? If it is, I'd say stick with that.

In the long term, I expect the same experience as in the past twelve or more months that the wiki has been hosted on Jo5hua's.

If he can't guarantee any type of server (not wiki) maintenance to keep the wiki accessible, then I'd opt for NineX as long as someone here (and preferably more than one) has access to the part of the server which the wiki is stored on. wink.png Can you ask about that Hobbes?

Jo5hua already gave me access to the server and I had already asked NineX to make a mirror since someone suggested it and I have no idea of those things. If you want access just PM me.

Then of course we'd have to deal with getting someone to admin the software side. That's kinda the bigger issue we have right now.

- Zombie

Yap

• 2 months later...

UFOPaedia went down on Monday, I messaged Jo5hua about it and he fixed it yesterday, then today it is offline again

I've basically had enough of these outages, they make it nearly impossible to reliably work/edit on the wiki since you never know when it might break down. Jo5hua is interested in traffic/SEOs but I told him that this is conflicting with our need to have a stable site for work and gameplay.

So, today I've told Jo5hua that we are moving to another hosting solution, already offered by NineX, which already hosts the OpenXCom site and forums (but not the mod site, which is also hosted by Jo5hua and also suffers from technical issues).

I also feel that joining the UFOPaedia.org to OpenXCom makes sense in the long term since it is a great project and has a large community of XCom fans involved. And it's more likely that someone will want to pick up the project and give it some long needed love.

No argument from me - I think that will be a good move. It seems OpenXcom is where most of the community activity is at these days for the classic games so having the two hosted together isn't a bad idea.

- NKF

3 days ago, I have messaged Jo5hua over Skype concerning the server move and he transferring the domain rights and until now I haven't gotten an answer.

I've messaged him again today, asking for the domain rights and I also told him that if he doesn't reply, then we'll just go with the move, get a new domain, and ask all the XCom sites to update their links. This is not the ideal solution for the issue but if he ignores me, then I'd rather have a working wiki elsewhere than to keep a situation that has a lot of technical/security issues just because of the traffic it generates.

I will post more as the situation develops.