Current state of Vanilla X-COM 1 & 2, CE & DOS

3371-Alpha

I'm curious as to what the current state of The Classic X-COMs are with Open X-COM at a pretty much stable state. Does anyone play the game through DOSBox or the CE version anymore? or is it all Open X-COM now? I ask because there haven't been too many updates on the utilities in a while. Last XcomUtil was from 2013.

OpenXcom is perhaps the best thing to happen to the classics. I would definitely point anyone discovering the series for the first time towards it.

For the pure unmodded game experience, I still prefer to play vanilla UFO and TFTD through Dosbox. I don't use the CE version mainly because I have had a unfortunate streak of getting PCs that don't like to run it.

- NKF

For me, it's always been vanilla CE, nothing else. My older laptop's graphics card is on it's last leg so I hardly ever use it anymore for either playing or testing X-COM. I might be getting another XP replacement laptop soon though. And it's dirt easy to get X-COM running under XP: just turn off hardware acceleration and you are good to go. :)

- Zombie

Thank for the feedback. Although I exclusively use vanilla x-com, I admit I still like to mod it. I prefer adding a little spice to the game with out making it a completely different one. XcomUtil, BB's toolkit and your combo mod, that's about it. Open X-COM is great (sounding, I've never used it) however it requires much newer hardware in my experience; it's not very friendly to potato PCs (or Macs in my case). Do you think it'd be possible to get modding on the vanilla game back on track? It has that advantage of working on older hardware.

Open X-COM is great (sounding, I've never used it) however it requires much newer hardware in my experience; it's not very friendly to potato PCs (or Macs in my case).

I tried looking to see if there are any minimum system requirements needed by OpenXCOM but apparently there isn't. Maybe it doesn't play nice with the x86 emulator your Mac has? That's about the only thing I can think of. dntknw.gif

Do you think it'd be possible to get modding on the vanilla game back on track? It has that advantage of working on older hardware.

Not sure what you mean by "back on track". Do you mean more mods? Or mods that are constantly updated? huh.png

- Zombie

A bit of both I think. I think the interest of pursuing mods compatible with the older games has waned a bit thanks to the advent of the newer X-Com games and more modern solutions like OpenXcom.

Without having a Mac to test this myself, the following thread regarding an OSX build of one of the OpenXcom nightlies might be a possible solution:

https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,5288.0.html

- NKF

I tried looking to see if there are any minimum system requirements needed by OpenXCOM but apparently there isn't. Maybe it doesn't play nice with the x86 emulator your Mac has? That's about the only thing I can think of. dntknw.gif

Actually, truth be told my Dual PowerMac Is no longer functioning; motherboard failure. I bought a Late 2005 Quad version to replace it, but unfortunately it also seams to have issues and my buyer warranty expired when they materialized pinch.gif (at least it makes it past boot so it's not as severe). Luckily a friend gave me his old intel Macbook, unfortunately it's 32-bit so it can't run any OS beyond 10.6; Open X-COM requires 10.7+.

Not sure what you mean by "back on track". Do you mean more mods? Or mods that are constantly updated? huh.png

- Zombie

I'd say a little bit of both. I do have an idea for a DOS mod, though this probably isn't the place to post/propose it.

A bit of both I think. I think the interest of pursuing mods compatible with the older games has waned a bit thanks to the advent of the newer X-Com games and more modern solutions like OpenXcom.

Without having a Mac to test this myself, the following thread regarding an OSX build of one of the OpenXcom nightlies might be a possible solution:

https://openxcom.org...pic,5288.0.html

- NKF

Like I said though, binaries require 10.7+. It's theoretically possible to port it to PPC but compiling and rewriting code's beyond my skill level. It might be possible to strait recompile it for 32-bit intel Mac though, assuming all the dependencies are available.

Actually, truth be told my Dual PowerMac Is no longer functioning; motherboard failure. I bought a Late 2005 Quad version to replace it, but unfortunately it also seams to have issues and my buyer warranty expired when they materialized pinch.gif (at least it makes it past boot so it's not as severe). Luckily a friend gave me his old intel Macbook, unfortunately it's 32-bit so it can't run any OS beyond 10.6; Open X-COM requires 10.7+.

Ah, that explains it. happy.png Is OpenXCOM 64 bit?

- Zombie

Like I said, recompiling for intel 32 shouldn't be too difficult for a person with experience. However It would, undeniably, still be cool to have the DOS/CE versions back on track. Many people still like to play games like that on classic systems for more accurate sounds ect. And it's also playable on old school Macs (like classic Mac OS ones) with the proper emulation or a PC compatibility card.

If I do attempt any project I'll need BB's and Blade's help, possibly your's too.

Hej there, I am as inactive on this board as a person can be but I noticed this topic by pure chance from another place on the forum. I'm in process of sorting my old 1+2+3 XCOM games (I don't count that dumbed down, hand holding remake turds XCOM games) so that got me into deep thinking about what kind of versions I do and do not want. Though I'd share some of it.

My choice for 1 at least (haven't yet gotten to 2&3) is pure CE vanilla but with latest Seb76's Extender, fixing the bugs and adding few 'quality of life' stuff. That's how Gollop would want us to play smile.png. I think everyone can understand that so I won't go into much detail. It's the original game the devs tested and balanced everything upon. I liked it 20 years ago, 10 years ago and 5 years ago all with same intensity. A sufficient time for me to forget almost everything from previous playthrough and continue with fresh expectations when starting again. If there wasn't an Extender I'd probably have to learn XcomUtil or how it's called and go DOSBox way. The only authentic way to experience the game is in its vanilla form, no argument there I hope everyone agrees.

OpenXcom doesn't provide that. Is looks like, it feels like, but isn't. It will never be XCOM without the AI. I look at is as a MOD, a best one at that. Temptation to try is there but when that happens I just remember I want to play XCOM and it passes (lol). Also, savegames aren't compatible so I can't get that nostalgia juices flowing when loading my old-as-dirt savegames.

But even bigger problem with myself and any MOD that extensively changes gameplay / content (one I have yet to overcome, so I actually never played any large MODs in any game) is uncommon one. When there's a MOD out I want to play, firstly I wish to play and FINISH the original game. So I can get in the proper mood, soaking up the atmosphere and getting familiar with the mechanics, even maybe getting that feeling the author got from the game jolted him to create his MOD... Hmm?

That kind of psychological setting is important to me, otherwise I'd look at the MOD as a lifeless creation by some unknown, preventing me to even try playing it.

In OpenXcom's case I can tell it's a labor of love just by looking at the menus and some of their own 'quality of life' stuff they did. So if I did want to play I'd have to complete the original first. And by then... *que music* ... I GET FED UP WITH THE GAME (happened every single time with every game). XCOM is a looong madafaka of a game when you play it to its fullest. I ain't got the time nor the will for no MODs after that smile.png

You guys feelin me?

P.S.

Oh yeah, if the OP is concerned about the state of modding community on this board? It's gonna die a slow death. Sorry to be the messenger but that happens everywhere. I also noticed sparse activity in there during my short re-visit here. One doesn't have to be active to come to that conclusion. OpenXcom will only accelerate it and eventually they'll get everything just right so even a nitpicker like me won't be able to tell the difference, hehe.

And even just yesterday I discovered some guy is making an OpenApoc. How crazy is that? Remember reading years ago that game is a closed book. Seesh.

Suppose if you can beat em - join em? smile.png

Yo, good night folks... it's fakkin morning here nuke.gif

Hey, I remember you from the Descent DXX-Rebirth forums! I provided you with a copy of the Macintosh LotW. Didn't know you liked strategy, regardless it's nice to see a familiar face. But yeah, I want to get modding for the original engines back on track, mostly for the sake of playing them on older hardware.