targetting problems

Tsathoggua

I have somewhat of a problem.

When I know where an enemy is on an upper floor with agents below, I'm having problems at times with aiming to target the bottom of the upper floor they are standing on, likewise sometimes but not always, it seems like there is a problem targeting walls or floors (the same floor level as the agent firing.

Is this restricted to certain weapons or is there something I can do about it.

Its a particular problem when say, wanting to aim a GC or hydrojet round or rounds at a section of seabed lacking features, or firing off rounds into total darkness in unexplored sections.

Whats the best way to reliably do this? it seems to come up often but not always with 'no line of fire' when that isn't the case, and when wanting to fire an incendiary round to provide light when moving troops in or a tank over to scout.

I have somewhat of a problem.

When I know where an enemy is on an upper floor with agents below, I'm having problems at times with aiming to target the bottom of the upper floor they are standing on, likewise sometimes but not always, it seems like there is a problem targeting walls or floors (the same floor level as the agent firing.

Is this restricted to certain weapons or is there something I can do about it.

Its a particular problem when say, wanting to aim a GC or hydrojet round or rounds at a section of seabed lacking features, or firing off rounds into total darkness in unexplored sections.

Whats the best way to reliably do this? it seems to come up often but not always with 'no line of fire' when that isn't the case, and when wanting to fire an incendiary round to provide light when moving troops in or a tank over to scout.

TFTD does have issues dealing with firing to a tile without something actually in it. The biggest problem is of course when you and the intended target are on the same level and the target tile doesn't have an object (or alien) occupying it. There's technically nothing to hit and you'll get that annoying "no line of fire" message. I never had much trouble firing up into a ceiling in TFTD assuming there isn't an obstruction like a wall blocking the intended path. You could always try tossing a grenade through the ceiling.

You'll have far fewer problems if you fire down at a tile with nothing in it. The shot will hit the ground in that instance. Same thing goes with the DPL, firing down will allow the shot to detonate at the ground. smile.png

- Zombie

I've noticed too, that it seems a lot more difficult and dangerous, despite generally speaking, better AI for the target acquisition using DPLs on base assaults to make sure of a sterile drop zone.

In UFO, it didn't seem to happen provided that there was at least two grav lift tiles, so that the a blaster launcher shell could be led over to the first, then dropped diagonally downwards to a secondary waypoint that is the grav lift on the lower floor that corresponds to the position below the next grav lift tile along on the upper floor.

Particularly a tactic I liked for use in raids targeting snakeman bases, and ethereals. As well as sectoids. In the first case to deal with any chryssalids hanging around close to the drop zones below the hangers, as well as preventing any reaction fire from shooters in LOS. The chryssalids, I employed a lot of precautionary fire from blaster launchers, to sterilize the corridors, slamming a shell into upper corridors, as well as one right down immediately below the raiding X-com squads so anything up close and personal ends up getting a most unpleasant surprise the moment the troops land. Few blaster shells to sterilize the local area, the tank going down afterwards for some scouting, keeping one or two blaster shots in reserve to deal with anything particularly unpleasant, situation or alien-wise. As well as any time the likes of sectopods and cyberdisks are likely present in the base, due to their damn fast, accurate and highly aggressive reactions and tendency to really cut loose with merry hell the moment somebody pops their head down from the trenches, so to speak, its likely to get shot off.

At least until they get caught at ground zero, busily turning to a smoking vitrified slag-pile, along with anything in it.

Especially good against sectoids, even more so if one HAS a blaster launcher. One round dropped down the hatch plus another three up the nearest corridors, mating the kill radii together at around mid-point and then a few tiles, was most often rewarded (albeit not for the sectoids) with a chorus of agonized shrieks and not infrequently, just a weapon on the ground wherever a sectoid had been prior to letting rip, the sectoids themselves finding themselves suddenly and instantaneously evaporated to no more than a greasy stinking wisp of smoke and ash.

Seems a lot more difficult and dangerous to do it with a DPL in TFTD though. Or I'd be using it as a regular counter-tentaculat tactic. Nuke the ingress point back to the era of pointy sticks and then send in a tank to scout, and if needs be mop up the mess, if anything whatsoever survives the initial flurry of blast-waves and tries to claw its way out of hell. Plus good for morale, when dealing with psyker types who are likely to use panic attacks, keeping them busy on the recipient end of same, too busy to start trying to brainfuck X-com troops. Not that, once a hyperwave decoder is available or transmission resolver becomes available I'd send squads in that are anything but highly resistant (80s or greater psi strength, preferably >95) and as soon as possible, elite counter-psyker troops that can treat high-ranking ethereals like a dog with a chew toy and start cutting loose on sectopods and cyberdisks and taking them over completely, or marching chryssalids up to one tile away then opening up at near as point blank in their faces by most of an entire fireteam, minus anyone carrying a blaster launcher, unless a fast sidearm like a laser pistol or plasma pistol is available. A lot safer to let the tank scout, anything armed, drop a primed grenade, or weapon and unprimed ones, then turn up to their own execution.

Although having the enemy bite down on a grenade and pull the pin was always a classic apocalypse technique really more than TFTD and UFO, no? having a squad of anthropods or skeletoids just start priming a stack of grenades in RT whilst under psi control and then leaving their heads, presumably resulting in at the very least, a change of underwear needed and a large bodycount when the likes of vortex mines start going off in their 3s and 4s right at the feet of the enemy. Or trying to charge the troops, only to find their own mines hopping after them:D