Explosive rounds stunning soldiers

Tsathoggua

More weird shit going on.

Version-vanilla.

Effect-HE shells, particularly autocannon rounds keep causing soldiers to lose consciousness. Thing is, this is NOT due to the

troopers being HIT by the rounds, nor them going off close. I mean, firing a round into the distance by one trooper and having another one collapse who was nowhere NEAR the actual impact site or blast radius. Even behind the trooper firing, in completely the opposite direction!

Were the soldiers that went unconscious standing in smoke? I know the game gets confused sometimes when you are firing off incendiary rounds while soldiers are standing in smoke. This isn't quite the same, but maybe the game confuses both HE and I. Dunno, just shooting off possibilities as I can't research it on the wiki to make sure. ;)

- Zombie

Whats happening, is random soldiers dropping, sometimes in smoke sometimes not.

Second trooper using autocannon loaded with HE rounds. Sometimes HC-HE, firing off rounds to the front of the soldier, that is trooper packing the autocannon or HC

is positioned to the front of the soldier losing consciousness

And oddly, when revived with a medkit stimulant shot or three the trooper that has been revived is initially invisible, selectable with the tabs cycling through soldiers, but totally invisible.

The invisible soldier (or alien) does happen from time to time. I forget if we found out what caused it, but I think it may be connected to an overloaded item table. For your soldiers, it should clear up on the next turn. If it's with the aliens, it may just be that their graphics have become glitched. From a couple of LPs on Youtube that I've watched, it seems to happen a bit with Chryssalids.

Invisible chryssalids...

- NKF

The only times I've ever (irony intended) seen an invisible chyssalid, is one thats just been socked between the eyes with a blaster launcher round, and evaporated to the last femtomole of stinking chitin.

The only times I've ever (irony intended) seen an invisible chyssalid, is one thats just been socked between the eyes with a blaster launcher round, and evaporated to the last femtomole of stinking chitin.

If the item table is maxed out (tends to happen during Battleship missions and Base missions of either sort in UFO; in TFTD I'd expect it to be similar), killed units don't leave corpses and "stunned" units become invisible instead of being stunned (because there's no room to generate the corpse or unconscious-unit item; for killed units this merely stops the corpse from being generated, but for unconscious units the conversion from unit to item is entirely blocked - probably as a failsafe to prevent stunned X-Com soldiers from being disintegrated). However, the game still knows the unit's there even if the graphics are removed, so using the "aliens in sight" indicator or looking for a flashing cursor will be able to pinpoint the invisible unit. In the case of invisible "stunned" aliens, simply continue shooting them with lethal weapons until they die; as mentioned above, while the corpse is prevented from forming a killed alien is still removed as a unit and as such is still effectively dead.

What's going on here is likely related in some fashion or another.

In the case of aliens, what happens if such a 'ghost' alien is hit with stunning weapons? if the stun rod cannot target such an alien, this of course means area-effect weapons, the stun launcher.

Never seen it happen with an alien, even if its happening with soldiers.

It seems salient to note, that the troops in the missions it was happening (repeatedly) in were all very, very heavily armed. Enough munitions to take on (and equip) a moderately sized army, and enough backup rounds and stocks of various things-that-go-'boom' in the transport to level a city and leave behind only smoke and ashes.

For the squads themselves, there was not so much a case of 'heavy weapons support' but rather the inverse, only a couple were carrying heavy plasma, those taking point, two per team, plus a sniper or two with heavy lasers per fireteam, the plasma tank, and the rest all carrying autocannon, heay cannon, rocket launchers and/or blaster launchers, plus every one of them bar a single senior soldier that cannot justifiably be sacked, because relatively less innate ability as a psyker, were strong, strong psykers and carrying psi-amps, and aside from space reserved for stun-rods, medkits and a handful of motion scanners distributed amongst the troops, plus a sidearm on the belt, usually a plasma pistol, but a few pistols for reaction training with aliens disarmed by means of psionic control, after unloading their weapons and dropping the ammo, I have them walk/float/ooze on over and then let the control go next turn, having panicked them before taking them over, so they usually make a run for it and the troops can get some target practice and reaction training.

If (and it sounds like your probably right) it is due to the aforementioned fail-safe for stunned troops, the odd thing is that they remain invisible once revived by a medkit, and thus should no longer be a body or an item. Although they become visible once again next turn.

Invisible chryssalids sound like a fucking nightmare! if that ever happens you can bet I'll be ordering the troops to carpet-bomb the area and smother the entire place in incendiary shells, so anything scurrying about in the shadows is lit up like a ghostly xmas-tree, with a nice big fire lit up under its arse to follow it by whilst the grisly little horror burns alive and target it by using much more lethal weapons.

Wonder how my elite snipers would fare, since they can easily make kill shots using the heavy laser from way beyond visual range, indeed as long as there is a direct line of fire the targets their spotters pick have had it. But invisible..now thats not fair! can such invisible units still trigger react-fire?