Resignation as UFOPaedia administrator

Hobbes

I'm trying to remember what you need to do to put up a site-wide message on the wiki - we did it once before. However a news message on the front page should do. Any particular dates for the backup/move?

- NKF

It's alright - I worked it out and there's now a message, but only on the edit page.

This makes sense as there's a setting in the system that locks it for edits only and lets people browse the site still, so editing a page shows the warning at the top and I've made it stand out.

The plan is to move it today. Since it's all locked down, in theory if Joshua tests everything nobody will be any the wiser and I'll just post a message when it's all up again. It'll probably be offline for the next few hours at least.

Sounds like he's putting together a beast of a server for this by the way, so should be nice and fast from now on :)

This is taking a little longer than anticipated, but will definitely be worth the wait - I just want to keep edits on hold whilst this takes place as I know how annoying it is to lose work!

Agreed! Completely worth the wait! Thanks for making this happen. :)

Hi all

This took longer than anticipated but it has finally happened!

It's live on Joshua's server finally and editing is enabled again.

Might take a while for the domain IP change to load around the web as I've only just done that bit, but if you go to edit a page and hit CTRL+F5 and the green message I put up isn't there then you're viewing it on the new server :)

Soppy as it sounds, what ever happens, I suppose now's a good time to point out - Hobbes, you've always done a really good job. :)

Heck, personally I failed to maintain motivation after the first Firaxis release, and that went relatively smoothly. I don't deal well with change.

Hello. Are you the same Hobbes that (used to be) is an admin at UFOpaedia.org?

If not, sorry to bother you. If you are, sorry to bother you as i know you considered resigning but maybe you can still help me. I looked all over the site for some link to create an account so i could contribute to the XCOM2 pages but found none. I thought this function would be brought back after the transfer to the new server but unless i'm still seeing the old site, it's not.

Is there any way i can tell for sure i'm seeing the new site (most recent news is still February 4th, 2016, XCOM2 release). If what i see is actually the new site, how are we supposed to register (or is this function still disabled due to spambots)?

Just received this message at the 2K forums

Aren't such wikis suppose to have anonymous modifications, which are there to be accepted by moderators ?

I can only speak as to how it has been functioning. If you register, you can make changes and create new content.

Moderators can take action against malicious/nuisance accounts, but they don't proctor the changes made by users.

Greetings!

I will need to ask Pete what he thinks about getting Administrator access. At the moment I am only hosting it and we haven't talked about this, but I will be willing to administrate when it comes to feature implementation, development, debugging, as well as upgrading the wiki. This of course while leaving submission moderation to the moderation team.

Let me know if there is any feedback questions or concerns!

By the way there is no Create Account signup form on ufopaedia right now. I bugged Jo5hua about this already but he doesn't have access to fix (see above).

I'm a long time player of X-Com, TFTD (a brief and failed campaign), XCOM2012 and currently enjoying XCOM2. I'd like to help a bit w/ xcom2 articles. I'm also a web dev so I notice stuff like the duplicate ranger page and want to fix it because it hurts search rank for the real ranger page:

duplicate: https://www.ufopaedia...Ranger_(XCOM_2)

real: https://www.ufopaedia.../Ranger_(XCOM2)

I call the latter "real" because it had the more recent updates and the tag (XCOM2) is correct.

p.s.

yay i can post now. Is it supposed to take a week after signup? Or a day after connecting facebook? if so it's an unclear part of the process.

I'd like to help a bit w/ xcom2 articles. I'm also a web dev so I notice stuff like the duplicate ranger page and want to fix it because it hurts search rank for the real ranger page:

duplicate: https://www.ufopaedia...Ranger_(XCOM_2)

real: https://www.ufopaedia.../Ranger_(XCOM2)

I call the latter "real" because it had the more recent updates and the tag (XCOM2) is correct.

It's technically not a duplicate page (the same info isn't present on the XCOM_2 page, that page is actually blank except for a little bit of wiki markup code), it's actually a redirect page. Redirects are a necessary part of the wiki because it helps to point you to the right page when you are searching and enter in "XCOM 2" instead of "XCOM2". Dunno if a redirect hurts the search rank per se, I guess it depends how many people search for XCOM 2 instead of XCOM2. When all is said and done though, you end up at the correct page. wink.png

p.s.

yay i can post now. Is it supposed to take a week after signup? Or a day after connecting facebook? if so it's an unclear part of the process.

Where? Here or at the wiki? If you mean here, then no, it shouldn't. There may be a problem somewhere preventing signups or delaying the registration email from being sent. We know about it, Pete was contacted about this so hopefully there is a fix. Sorry for any delays! sad.png

- Zombie

The redirects are more to ensure that other pages that link to the page by the old name don't break. It's not a bad idea to use the 'what links here' on the redirect pages to see which pages still use the old name and go fix them. Once the redirect page becomes orphaned, it can be safely deleted. If they do show up in the searches, clicking on it should take you to the proper page.

Speaking of orphaned pages, I believe we do have a few XCOM2 pages that aren't linked to by any other pages.

But I digress, yes the new signups are still disabled. I guess we'll have to wait a bit for Pete and Jo5hua to iron out the details there. For the time being, I suppose us members could facilitate any edits for those still waiting to sign up?

- NKF

Zombie,

ah, i see. Seems SupSuper fixed it after i bothered #openxcom about it but I didn't realize that until now. I was expecting a 301 redirect but apparently that's not how mediawiki handles redirects. Instead it adds a meta canonical link which makes sense for their use case. TIL.

When i said "Is it supposed to take a week after signup? Or a day after connecting facebook?" I meant here on strategycore.co.uk.

NKF,

Thanks, as long signups being disabled on ufopaedia is a known issue by the admins then I'll be content to wait. I don't have any other pressing edits at the moment. If I do I'll post here. Appreciate the offer.

• 1 month later...
Any idea when signups will be allowed again? It's been two months and today someone was asking on the xcom subreddit how to create an account. I tried to help the guy out by creating an account as an admin but it looks like it didn't work.

• 4 weeks later...

You'll need to speak to Joshua about anything technical - I PM'd yourself, Thor and NKF in a conversation with him to make introductions but you guys didn't join in :)

I've not got server access myself yet but any technical issues you'd be best PM'ing Joshua or emailing him as that's his area now.

You'll need to speak to Joshua about anything technical - I PM'd yourself, Thor and NKF in a conversation with him to make introductions but you guys didn't join in smile.png

I've not got server access myself yet but any technical issues you'd be best PM'ing Joshua or emailing him as that's his area now.

Just sent you an email with two questions.. One is regarding admin access so I can go ahead and resolve the signups issue asap. =)

• 1 month later...