Xcom Legacy

thebritwriter

The funny thing is I didn't know of this site's existance or of 'Deep rising' till I started doing some indepth searching to see if anyone has done an xcom comic and see if there's anything to learn from it.

And boy deep rising was a 'Wow' with a capital!

Still I've been set to undertake my own project and story, and doing about two pages a month, the full res of each page can be found on my gallery overview.

https://thebritwriter...om-Legacy-comic

Chapter 1 (complete) https://www.deviantart.com/thebritwriter/gallery/59975757/chapter-1

Chapter 2 (complete) https://www.deviantart.com/thebritwriter/gallery/59975762/chapter-2

Chapter 3 (ongoing) https://www.deviantart.com/thebritwriter/gallery/66803932/chapter-3

xcom-legacy-title-and-introduction-by-thebritwriter-d9qeu4i-ful.png

xcom-legacy-c1-pg1-by-thebritwriter-d9qkkq2.png

xcom-legacy-c1-pg2-by-thebritwriter-d9tvap8.pngxcom-legacy-c1-pg3-by-thebritwriter-d9vj7uu.png

xcom-alt-add-04-rev.png

xcom-legacy-c1-pg5-by-thebritwriter-da0b0m9.png

Your welcome I'll try to update here as well but I might as well ask, I was on an xcom site long ago (can't remember name but had a mini guide to other games before clicking on forum under the name koriand'r/korgeta) Is that site still going? It has been a long while but do recall seeing your name on the site.

Sketch preview of the sixth page.

https://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y187/koriandr-star/xcom_alt_add06_rough_zpsorc0u5xk.jpg

(edit: Link no longer works. For all sketch work material check my DA gallery sketch section).

https://www.deviantart.com/thebritwriter/gallery/57705724/sketch-archive

Edited by thebritwriter

Your welcome I'll try to update here as well but I might as well ask, I was on an xcom site long ago (can't remember name but had a mini guide to other games before clicking on forum under the name koriand'r/korgeta) Is that site still going? It has been a long while but do recall seeing your name on the site.

Dunno, I don't remember the site directly and my links page doesn't have it listed either. If there were forums on that site I probably wasn't registered there. IIRC I only belong to StrategyCore (previously x-com.co.uk/forums), XComUFO.com and UFOPaedia.org (X-COM wiki). I was at Daishiva's website (creator of MapView) and maybe posted a couple times in his forums there but other than that I didn't really sign up anywhere else. It's possible my name was tossed around though, especially after 2005 or so. ;)

- Zombie

Dunno, I don't remember the site directly and my links page doesn't have it listed either. If there were forums on that site I probably wasn't registered there. IIRC I only belong to StrategyCore (previously x-com.co.uk/forums), XComUFO.com and UFOPaedia.org (X-COM wiki). I was at Daishiva's website (creator of MapView) and maybe posted a couple times in his forums there but other than that I didn't really sign up anywhere else. It's possible my name was tossed around though, especially after 2005 or so. wink.png

XComUFO.com, that's the one! It was a bit difficult to find under google searching.

- Zombie

No spoilers, please! grin.gif Kidding, it is nice to see iterations that lead to the end art.

**SPOILERS**

Bradford joins the Avenger(s)

there will be foreshadowing, retro and a bigger boat among other things...

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Hobbes, I still read the unknown menace fanfic from time to time (incidentally I did send out a PM from ff.net asking if you wanted to be a proof reader for this)

As for the captain, he has a new member to his team.

Edit 2019: Link expired here is link for sketch material

• 3 weeks later...

And here's the 7th page, with a new Advent class I made just for the sole purpose of the comic part story and just me being partly creative.

xcom-alt-add-07-rev.png

Majority of the plot including this was set up back in September and while there are some things I can tweak to fit as close as possible to the source there will be some things can't change back.

Also as a heads up, at some point there will be an artist who do some work for me (mini segments) while I focus on the story, with the first chapter a page away from finishing..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just showing a sketch of the next chapter, other then the title it'll open up with an 'Adventgers' segment, featuring more slander against the xcom we all know and command.

It's a longer piece before I move to cover two perspectives from those inside Advent whose lives will be decided by the upcoming 'interview' (see page 4)

I'll also mention that the xcom mooks in the following pages are based on a friend's playthrough so for the most the coming designs will be quite accurate. So as much as I reference old games there be references to the customization and other features made by fans that have played a bigger part in xcom more then ever (Long war mod for example and openxcom going even further back)

Here's the sketch.

Edit 2019:

Link no longer works, for sketch material here is new link below:

Edited by thebritwriter

• 3 weeks later...

Start of the second chapter, first thing to mention the first 3 pages are referenced to youtube faleg and his xcom LP series, lara is one of his designs I copied (so lara is actually an example of xcom 2 customization) of course their part of the adventgers segment the kid is watching.

The other bit to mention is past the third page I'll be making an exclusive of slideshow based on the "episode" the kid is watching for one of faleg's videos hopefully.

This chapter will also be considerably longer as there is more to fit in with this.

xcom-legacy-chapter-2-by-thebritwriter-dad76n8.png

xcom-legacy-c2-pg1-by-thebritwriter-dad76z0.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Just to update i finally completed the mini comic and will be carrying on the second chapter shortly in the new year but this would had been what Amir would had seen if it weren't paused. Even though it's a mini comic it's more aimed for my friend faleg and his youtube channel of said name as i'm telling a propganda short whilst useing his customized xcom 2 characters (save the overwatch character i just wanted to throw a reference)

The last page isn't part of the comic and is tailor made at faleg's current LP where my character is reborn as a traitor. (yes dan texan is me +20 years and exaggeration of beard!)

Edit 2019:

Labelled under subcomic 'Adventgers 2' the Advent cartoon inshow. Despite being the first mini comic it's not the first within it's own continuity.

faleg-lp-the-adventgers-2-pg-1-by-thebritwriter-dapdw0j.jpg

faleg-lp-the-adventgers-2-pg2-by-thebritwriter-dajgei4.jpg

faleg-lp-the-adventgers-2-pg-3-by-thebritwriter-dapdyrb.jpg

faleg-lp-the-adventgers-2-pg-4-by-thebritwriter-dapdzmx.jpg

faleg-lp-the-adventgers-2-pg-5-by-thebritwriter-daq4fot.jpg

faleg-lp-the-adventgers-2-pg-6-by-thebritwriter-daq6xfp.jpg

(Final page was removed as it was tailor suited for faleg's 'Let's play xcom' series at the time. Here is link below if you wish to see.

https://www.deviantart.com/thebritwriter/art/Faleg-LP-The-Adventgers-2-Final-page-651004722

• 2 years later...

This wasn't dropped, it's absense was more to that I lost my password for this and that the site wouldn't allow me to reset a new password.

Thankfully I found it after all this time recently so it's been resolved now. I need to tidy the thread up anyway because photobucket is no longer a trusted hosted site, besides spam has watermarked my images with it's logo so I'll be swapping images with a new host that i been using.

It does look bad on me to give the impression I seemingly discarded a project on a thread, so will be bringing this upto speed.

Edit: Chapter 2 page 4

With previous images corrected. I'll be posting the following mostly under a few posts but this does deserve it's own mention.

xcom-legacy-c2-pg4-by-thebritwriter-db40ulf.png

This was a challenge, google may do a better job on translating roman based alphabet (something modern english and western European languages mostly based on) but Urdu was tough and MS word didn't do a good job on it either. Thankfully deviantartist https://www.deviantart.com/sasu-sakuu was helpful enough to give me the appropriate translation so I could re-draw the writing.)

I could have used google translate, but honestly I feel I be ignorant instead of trying to reach out to a world wide community like deviantart as well as the translation wouldn't had been accurate.

As for Advent writing which is more occurring as this goes on, I'll bring up my earlier notes:

setting up a rule for it, their language is far more simpler than ours. Their word only consist of basic form, such as "home", "learn", "count" etc.. Every addition to the word, such as "-ing" to verb, are loss to them. Here I use the word "eo" for home, "are" for learn and "u" for count (the last one was because it looks like +)

I don't think I can go in depth with it but to clarify Advent writing has no structure anyway what you see on the screen is simply scrambled gibberish just scaled to very small text. Breaking immersion a little by stating that but unfortunately there is no rule for advent writing, on the flip side it means you can make your own rules for it.

C2: Page 5-16

xcom-legacy-c2-pg5-by-thebritwriter-dbctjot.png

xcom-legacy-c2-pg6-by-thebritwriter-dbhh2ks.png

xcom-legacy-c2-pg7-by-thebritwriter-dbibnbm.png

xcom-legacy-c2-pg8-by-thebritwriter-dboq81p.png

(Note: More advent writing, the person questioning the couple is a character design from Amanda Burn who has been helping me out. And is introduction of a civilian support group to advent peacekeepers (another self creation) dubbed 'Advent champions' I admit this was inspired by some very patronizing job titles at my job.) The design for advent champions comes from a rough draft of inital advent concept designs except colour scheme was changed from red to blue (reason being is myself and Amanda both agreed that red in advent is a likely symbol of highest authority)

https://www.deviantart.com/thebritwriter/art/Xcom-legacy-ADVENT-Champions-by-Manda-of-the-6-701221149

xcom-legacy-c2-pg9-by-thebritwriter-dbwg7ug.png

(I may one day revise this page given the sheer amount of dialogue, out of all the pages done 9including chapter 3) this one was not my best and feels like a self lesson in improving narration)

xcom-legacy-c2-pg10-by-thebritwriter-dbwg8aq.png

xom-legacy-c2-pg11-by-thebritwriter-dc06h7l.png

xcom-legacy-c2-pg12-by-thebritwriter-dc15kld.png

xcom-legacy-c2-pg13-by-thebritwriter-dc2jiyg.png

xcom-legacy-c2-pg14-by-thebritwriter-dc392tz.png

xcom-legacy-c2-pg15-by-thebritwriter-dc6c4nj.png

xcom-legacy-c2-pg16-by-thebritwriter-dc88o73.png