X-Com Apocalypse LP

Nookrium

You might want to think about getting a Lineage Plasma Cannon or two for the Hawk Air Warrior to make it more formidable. At least replace the Rendor cannon. It's the strongest ship you can buy, so you may as well arm it with a heavier gun.

Diablo and Osiron are impressed with you because you did a bit of damage to Psyke earlier when you fought their guards. They are not friendly with each other, but they're aren't friends with Psyke either. It's not a bad thing to have them on your side. It means they won't be launching attacks on your bases.

As with making it a habit to switch everyone to aggressive, don't forget to always set aimed shots for anyone double wielding toxiguns. The extra accuracy, while not fantastic, still helps.

With the UFO you just assaulted, instead of planting your agents directly opposite the door, it would have been safer to have them off at an angle. Say about where Danielle was. Or, have them directly off the sides. This way, the aliens would have had to physically get outside before they can see you, and they wouldn't get any support fire from behind them. Same strategy from the original games.

Considering the state of your toops, you can afford to let the infiltration stew a little bit until the end of the day to hopefully hire more recruits. The graphs for Superdynamics and Sanctuary Clinic are still low at the moment, so the urgency isn't there yet. They'd have to be at the same level as Psyke is at the moment for it to be a great concern.

If you can't drum up enough troops, you should still go and investigate but instead take a much more defensive and relaxed approach to the missions to tide you over until you can rebuild your team and/or pack shields.

That is to say. kill any aliens that you come across but don't put a lot of effort into hunting the aliens down. Relax, take your time and don't rush the combat. The idea here is to give enough time to the aliens so that most of them can flee from the battle. This will reduce the number of enemies you'll have to fight. You won't get a lot of equipment, but you'll still be able to successfully fend them off this way.

Alternately, go in, kill some aliens, then escape while your team's still rather healthy. Grab any dropped equipment on your way out to make the visit worthwhile. This will stop you from re-investigating the site though.It's a lot better than leaving the infiltration alone. Sort of like visiting and then immediately leaving terror sites in the originals to minimize the damage. wink.png

Also, further to taking it easy, you might want to skip any UFOs you shoot down if you've already captured one of them before. Unlike missions in the city, there aren't any horrible consequences to letting these go apart from not getting any of the loot you may have scored from them.

- NKF

Good to see things are improving!

Just a reminder that you can use the button with the winged shield and man to reassign any selected agent to a different group to reorganize them better. Particularly useful when you've merged a couple of small squads together like you have in the last few missions.

Aliens do roam around the map so they can double back around areas you've already investigated. With small squads, it's something you have to put up with. With a bigger team, this is where you can plant different teams guard at strategic points to prevent the aliens from doing this. Thankfully, the aliens physically roam around the map and don't magically teleport around in inert pods of three. wink.png A motion scanner may help.

That was a vortex mine that Robotron 3.0 was unlucky enough to pick up. Sadly he was never going to survive it as it is the most powerful explosive in the game. The inability to throw it back is quite likely because it's not researched. Silly, but there you go.

The Small Disrupter's an excellent choice. It's not greatly useful by itself, but it does lead you to the Medium Disrupter which I like to think of as Apocalypse's version of the Plasma Beam.

The shields are going to help you heaps. However, considering your troop loss rate so far, I think you'll need to reorganise your kit so that you can carry two shields in your backpack. Just for the extra security. wink.png

- NKF

The shields are going to help you heaps. However, considering your troop loss rate so far, I think you'll need to reorganise your kit so that you can carry two shields in your backpack. Just for the extra security. wink.png

Woo! I did something smart without having to hear from you first! banana.gif

Backpacks loaded with shields, let's put them to the test...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TcuWpMOiFE

Your toxigun troops might want to start carrying a Devastator in the off-hand by default. This could destroy some shields, but at least you'll have something when the toxigun is empty.

With the grav-lifts, any items that end up on the lift will drop all the way down to the bottom. You've seen this recently in the flyer factory when you threw a stun grenade on a lift and it went all the way down. Also when you're scrounging for enemy equipment piles, use the overhead map. Equipment that your agents can see will show up as dots on it, so you don't have to rely on guesswork.

About shields: Shields work independently of each other and only one shield will be active at a time. If they take too much damage, they break and any other shield you have will take over. Damaged shields recharge as time goes by. It's sometimes a good idea to have your agents exchange their shields so that the attackers can charge into combat with full shields while anyone chilling at the rear can hold on and recharge the damaged shields.

Vehicle shields operate differently from the hand held shields. Vehicle shields are combined into one big shield. The more shields you put on, the more hit points the shield will have. Since it operates as one shield, all of the shields will be destroyed at the same time if too much damage is taken.

- NKF

Poor Danielle was a casualty of the entropy missile. Her armor was literally eaten away while she was in the air and then died from the fall damage. It was going to either be that or her Devastator blowing up. This is why you want double shields. Take the time to go home and rearm yourself before going out to other missions. As long as you go ultra-fast, there's no need to rush between the different mission sites.

If you're going to go full-auto with a Devastator up close, go dual Devastators.

- NKF

Poor Danielle was a casualty of the entropy missile.

I recorded 48-51 before seeing this or knowing what really happened to her, I'll slowly come to the realization of how ugly the entropy missile is ;)

Is this a normal thing, aliens sighted at a building with nothing showing on the graphs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ohe9dlGyjg

He should be lucky, he got entropy launchers now and not 10 missions before shields were researched.

I agree, most definitely lucky to get the shields when he did. It's not stopping the entropy missiles from causing havoc, but at least it softens the blow a bit. Next up the dimension missiles. At least they're a much more straightforward threat.

Is this a normal thing, aliens sighted at a building with nothing showing on the graphs?

While I haven't seen anyone react this quickly before, I suppose the aliens may have only just moved in and the infestation level was high enough for the game to trigger the alert when it did an update cycle.

You can think of the graphs as the level of alien activity the residents have noticed and reported so far. The actual alien infestation level will be a separate value. Early on the residents will not have noticed anything so the graph will not register much, but as time goes by the graph level will match the infestation level as the residents start noticing more.

- NKF

The graphs can be wonky at some points. You go and clear the infestation, but they don't drop until next day. Same thing can happen in the opposite direction. You've got a report before you graphs can take notice. In fact it can take 1 game hour after last mission where aliens can spread and you don't have time to check where it might spread. It's just few points on the negatives if you get alert, so no worries there.

Remember to spread out a bit when you lay siege to the UFOs. Sticking your agents so close together makes them nice targets for grenades. It will be a lot worse when the aliens start packing the Dimension Missiles.

In cases like where Mr. Ripper and later Zombie lost their shields, check if any nearby agents have spares and toss it over. You don't want to go anywhere without a shield with the sort of firepower the aliens have started to carry.

Jumping anything greater than 1 level down does hurt. Shields will absorb the damage first.

To jump off edges, stand at the edge, hold J, then click past the edge while still on the same level.

At the point where you thought your troops were being attacked by those that were on top of the UFO, it was really a case of a cloaked anthropod doing the shooting. Try to keep your shooters off to the sides of the UFO doors rather than face them directly. The Anthropods can now shoot at you well before you can see them, so you want to level the playing field a bit.

You had some elerium left so you may want to check up on your missile supply. You might want to replace the Justice launcher with the Lineage cannon and free up the nose for the Small Disrupter. Use that for the time being then replace the Small Disrupter with the Medium Disrupter as soon as it is finished.

By the way, if you haven't got enough Toxiguns to go around, arm your agents with dual devastators rather than just the one. I noticed some of your agents who had empty toxiguns were getting pretty accurate shots with their off-hand Devastators. You may as well have them carry two and deal a lot of damage. The high base accuracy on the Devastator helps.

A little lost about what to do with Sirius, they spiked pretty quickly. Should I just bounce one by one through each temple doing the "investigate"?

Since your relations with the Cult has always been at rock bottom. It's not going to do any damage at all to go door knocking at each of their temples. wink.png Don't raid though as you will not clear the infiltration. I'm thinking it's the temple right next the mall you just cleared.

I can't recall if alien aligned organizations have an accelerated alien weapon tech-release schedule from the others, but if you think you really need the rest then you could just let them get taken over. The only reason to save the cult from alien infiltration is for the satisfaction of ensuring they're not 100% alien aligned. Also, with the graph now gone past the line, it may be a bit late to try and save them at this stage.

Either way you go, I recommend keeping an eye on the nearby buildings throughout the day.

- NKF

Since your relations with the Cult has always been at rock bottom. It's not going to do any damage at all to go door knocking at each of their temples. wink.png Don't raid though as you will not clear the infiltration. I'm thinking it's the temple right next the mall you just cleared.

You were right again. In the next couple episodes I tried changing my stance outside the UFO like you recommended... you were right there too ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4hzuXCeUqQ

Nah, I think like Tengualex said, you can take the credit for this one. It went very well.

If you had more agents you could actually have a dedicated team of Devastator and Toxigun users. But for now swapping out the weapons for the purposes of shield gathering or for outright destruction is certainly the way to go.

On those brainsucker pods, if you find yourself picking up too many of them, you can dispose of them by manually hatching them. That is, throw the brainsucker pod out in front where all nearby agents will be able to see it and open fire on it.

Research-wise, I'd go for the Medium Disrupter myself, but going for the Dimension Probe first is not a bad thing either. Getting it opens up the Large Workshop, which I'm sure you are looking forward to.

Since you've already researched the Type-3 UFO, the Dimension Probe should also lead you to the next advanced ship, the Bio-Trans. It sort of functions as the Skyranger of the advanced ships. That is to say, it's absolutely rubbish for combat, but makes for a great troop transport thanks to all that add-on space.

- NKF