X-Com Apocalypse LP

Nookrium

I think it's time I start parking my hoverbikes at the school & flyer factories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbzBcoFlxqU

Mind those grenades - you're blowing up perfectly good collectibles, including any psiclones that may be on the ground.

One other possible reason you didn't get any Psiclones during the attack is that the guards may have run off with them. They will randomly pick up any loose items left on the ground, and then later run off the map the longer the battle went. For raids, it's not a bad idea to secure the exits. For serious raiding, get to know the item spawn locations and rush to them as quickly as possible. In Cultist temples, you'll often find items on altars or on the floor in corners by the doors such as where your team was fighting in this battle. Use the overhead map to help spot items as you're moving through the rooms.

Ah, I didn't realize they would get picked up.

That school again. Considering the length of time that has passed, the gates should have moved around a bit. Then again, when I booted up my game, one of the first three alien drops sites was the very same school. grin.gif

You mean the X-Com school of fine arts? ;)

It's worth repeating: You can only use the medikit when you are standing firmly on the ground. Medikits simply do not work when you are flying.

I suggest setting everyone back to aggressive. Because your troops are being left in their default behaviour, they are making all these odd little evasive moves and getting in each others' way, or are not running when they absolutely need to be running fast.

Don't worry about getting a live Skeletoid - you have plenty of chances to catch them, and they aren't that essential until you're going for the high level toxins. The worms and their life cycle are the most important aliens you want to be reseraching at the moment.

You haven't really had a chance to give the mini launchers a proper go, so I wouldn't completely discount them just yet. Bring them with you on a UFO assault where there's plenty of outdoor space for the rockets to move. Also you never bought the power sword - that one you see is still for sale. wink.png

- NKF

It's worth repeating: You can only use the medikit when you are standing firmly on the ground. Medikits simply do not work when you are flying.

I Completely forgot about this, I remember you said it earlier... thank you for repeating ;)

I suggest setting everyone back to aggressive. Because your troops are being left in their default behaviour, they are making all these odd little evasive moves and getting in each others' way, or are not running when they absolutely need to be running fast.

I think that's my issue, the bouncing around/ ignoring my orders is quite annoying. I changed over to balanced because I was hoping it might help my survivability a bit more if they dodged the occasional shot, but I think in the end it's actually hurting me more.

You haven't really had a chance to give the mini launchers a proper go, so I wouldn't completely discount them just yet. Bring them with you on a UFO assault where there's plenty of outdoor space for the rockets to move. Also you never bought the power sword - that one you see is still for sale. wink.png

Since the Toxin type B is almost here are they worth hanging on to? I remember how powerful the toxiguns are, but I draw a blank on the launchers. (I've recorded up to Monday ep and I think I sold them ;) )

Ah power sword!

Here's Fridays

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdLiMaPrPdg

Since it's almost the new week, you may want to think about buying a new base. You don't need to right away, but you will likely be wanting some room to build a large workshop soon. Your main base is rather jam packed at the moment. There are a couple of bases around the city that only cost around $20,000 and $32,000. They're not massive like your main base, but they're easy to defend and have plenty of room for a dual large Workshop set up.

Since the Toxin type B is almost here are they worth hanging on to? I remember how powerful the toxiguns are, but I draw a blank on the launchers. (I've recorded up to Monday ep and I think I sold them wink.png )

The Toxigun's powerful, but has its fair share of issues, which I think you'll encounter once you use them. The mini launchers will be good practice for the Dimension missile launcher. Towards the end of the game, if you manage to catch enough aliens, you'll be able to load anti-alien gas missiles into the mini-launcher for the last few missions, essentially turning it into an AOE toxigun.

Perhaps load up one of your older saves, buy two launchers, load up about 4-5 clips, and raid one of the gangs and give it a practice.

Power Sword is tricky to use in Real Time. It has only range of 1-2 tiles and you must specify soldier to attack selected alien otherwise agent won't attack anything despite hug facing. I'm still wondering how NKF played with swords - maybe not in RT.

Heh, I've never actually tried going all out with the swords in TB. The ability to dual wield them in RT makes them quite a force to be reckoned with.

I recall a lot of smoke bombs, berserk rushes and corner ambushes. Androids are fantastic candidates for swordsmen. When shields are available, you can be a bit more reckless and Wolverine your way to victory.

For normal everyday use, if you have it in your backpack, pull it out if an alien happens to get up too close to you and go full auto with it.

- NKF

This is the last from my bulk recording from last week, please forgive my medkit ignorance ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4ZXvnVIwAY

An interesting comment came up today, he mentioned attacking Transtellar for cash (it also will lower their bribe price), is this a good idea? I've never thought of hitting them before. They don't have psyclones of course but I might make a bit of cash from the gun sales.

Boomeroids are proximity mines, so that one would have triggered the moment it landed near your agent. I make it a habit to throw them back immediately to hopefully get a bit of distance. It usually never works that well, but it can't hurt to try. wink.png Running won't work since they will hop after you.

I think Hesha may have died from a Popper. There was the sound of an explosion, then shortly afterwards lots of smoke around where Hesha was.

pmprog showed where the balanced mode works brilliantly, where he was standing by the doorway and strafing behind it. His partner on the other hand, the late great Mr. Frogley, couldn't see anything so wasn't joining in on the action at all when you were telling the two to focus on certain enemies.

An interesting comment came up today, he mentioned attacking Transtellar for cash (it also will lower their bribe price), is this a good idea? I've never thought of hitting them before. They don't have psyclones of course but I might make a bit of cash from the gun sales.

I can't really see that working. The reason they're angry with you in the first place was because you were damaging their property, and going in and killing their guards will just make them even angrier. Also bribe costs should go up. The compensation request that appear out of the blue might have a different amount, but I don't see any positive results coming out of it. The only real way of getting them back on their good side is to start raiding their enemies.

Any of the gangs are decent targets to go after if you want to raise a bit of cash from the loot, and it ensures Megapol, and anyone that's been slighted by the gangs, will appreciate your efforts a bit more. Diablo do sell incendiary grenades, so your call if you want to remain amicable with them.

To be on the safe side, I'd stick to just the Cult or one of the gangs for raids, but you might want to raid someone that will supply Elerium Pods instead of Psiclones. These pods turn into Elerium for your ship guns once you return to the cityscape, which means you can keep yourself supplied even if there's none left on the market. The two main political parties, the Extropians and Technocrats, have office complexes that have the odd elerium pod lying around. If you're interested, then go political. Pick a party to support and go after the rival. wink.png

- NKF

Is there a way for proximity mines to work more like a proximity mine? I like the idea of being able to change the radius, but the downside is trying to goad an alien (Popper) into running into the mine before the turns expires. So far I've only been able to sucker a Anthropod into the trap, but in the last mission I was in there was a total of 6 Poppers. It seems as if they intentionally waited until the four turns were up before coming after my agents. Keep in mind I hadn't moved any of my men during those 4 turns, they just sat there. Am I missing something?

-NoX

• 2 weeks later...

I think most of us were a bit switched off for the end-of- and start-of-year celebrations. wink.png

31:

Since you had the ability to fly, it may have been easier to get into cover inside the compound by moving along then flying over the fence rather than fight it out at the gate.

32:

Right after JG's epic kill on the cultist, there was a psiclone on the altar nearby.

33:

Enemies come through the lift and repair bay. If you buy a new base, don't build a repair bay so that all enemies will be forced to enter through the lift. Surround it with security stations to soften them up. If you want to assign any vehicles at the new base, you can repair them by parking them at a base with a repair bay.

The base attack is a good example why you may want to move out some of the techs since you had to give up half your slots just for them.

Fighting large groups of enemies in the open is not a very good idea. Try to pull back pick off the invaders as they chase after you. Also focus fire on anyone carrying the rocket launcher. You've already experienced how nasty it is. The alien version that you will be experiencing later on is a lot worse.

That new UFO isn't the Bomber, it's the Destroyer. The Bomber's green and has the multi missile, which would have destroyed your Hoverbikes. The Bomber also carries a very important alien that you'll be wanting to capture. Note: Stun gas and especially psionic stun will not work against it. You need stun grapples for it.

34:

Toxiguns are better vs aliens, but are tempered by their low ammo count. Unless you're carrying a truck load of ammo on your troops, you want to stick to the Devastators for the more general combat against non-shielded enemies.

That was a novel way to get people to a building with no vehicle tubes, but then then that weird bug emerged. Notice how all the while your people were moving at a strange diagonal angle across the city that they were still showing as being present at Megatribe Warriors just below their names. I think the game isn't expecting that behaviour so wasn't setting the agent locations properly once they got off the ship.

The next time you try this, perhaps park nearby, get your agents on foot, walk across to a different building, then move them to the destination.

35:

Don't rely on the basic formation when you're defending an area. Take the time to manually spread your agents out so that they don't shoot each other in the back. Devastators make friendly fire deadly!

This mission is one case where the flying ability comes in handy against the poppers. This would have been a perfect opportunity to capture a popper if you needed one.

Not sure what was going wrong with your soldiers not shooting the hyperworms, but I suspect flying and the low profile of the worm may have been part of the problem here. That is, your agent wasn't able to see it properly. Moving back may have helped.

I'm thinking having the whole team in flying suits is proving to be a lot more detrimental to your cause. They're bunching up in the air and are easy targets for your enemies to shoot at. I'm noticing your flying troops are often getting into situations where they cannot see their targets due to overhangs and other projecting structures, thus cutting off their ability to support other team mates. They're also having trouble shooting at targets just beneath them. You might need to bring back some Megapol chest plates and have some dedicated ground support.

- NKF

I think you're right about the flying suits, now that poppers are starting to become less of a problem (assuming we can shoot straight) the strength of the other armor might be what I need. These one shot kills are tearing me apart.

Back on track, well, sorta...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtavjdZAxH4

Luckily cash isn't a problem at the moment, but this certainly continues to make things interesting.

It's reaching the part of the game where your team's getting worn out by the damage. In which case, you want to focus your research on the disrupter shields - they'll help heaps. With enough of them you can often chance taking wounded agents into combat. Each shield you carry acts as a layer of recharging health. The type of armor you are wearing does not count until all the shields are destroyed, so you can get away with wearing the lighter Marsec parts if you need to reduce your carrying weight.

By the way, try not to make too many holes in the walls with the devastator cannons. It does make it easier to move about, but the owners will not like it very much. If the owners are hostile, or you're fighting in a UFO, then that's perfectly okay. wink.png

- NKF

It's been a rough week in Mega-Primus...

Things are rather grim but at least I have cash, I think as long as I can get some recruits in before I have a base defense I might be alright.

I've been rewatching some of my more successful (and not so much) missions and I think I might finally be learning a thing or two about how to deal with RT. Things typically seem to go well when I can get into a proper position and can defend a spot (from a proper distance), it's when I have to go in searching is when I get annihilated.

Problem is I'm still clueless as to how not to get annihilated when moving in and searching for the remaining ones...

Problem is I'm still clueless as to how not to get annihilated when moving in and searching for the remaining ones...

First, muscle memory - Aggresive mode always and I mean ALWAYS, you only use normal mode if you want to have fancy shmancy cover sidestepping never else and even that should not be used. Second don't bunch up. Dual wielding lowers your accuracy, except when using pistols like Toxiguns. Third. You are not flanking. Last few videos. Three people make a shootout and the other three is just standing around the corner admiring the walls. Come one, move them. Get those shields ASAP, if you will get Enthropy Launchers I predict a super fail 5000. There is a trick in RT to put everything on the ground for few seconds but that has a limit on how many shots armour can take.

Dual wielding lowers your accuracy, except when using pistols like Toxiguns.

I haven't had a chance to watch catch up on this batch of videos yet, but as an extension to this based on past videos: When dual wielding, don't switch to auto-fire unless you're right up next to the enemy. There were a number of occasions when something bad showed up, like a popper, and you had your troops switch to full auto even when it was still far away. This drastically reduces your accuracy and you end up wasting a lot of shots. Stick to snap or even aimed shots until the enemy gets close enough for accuracy to not matter.

- NKF

38:

You need more ammo for the toxiguns. One spare clip per gun is not enough. Also always carry a backup weapon

With devastators, even Megapol Armor is paper thin. It's still better than the alternative. All the more reason to get shields - it changes the nature of the game for the better.

39:

Setting everyone further back made a bit of a difference. You still need to spread folks out a bit. Those at the back could have benefited from lining up and going prone for even more accuracy and reducing their profile.

Hatty should have crept up from the side rather than running straight up - that's dangerous.

Containment - you've researched all the aliens that you are keeping samples of. You can safely dispose of them. There will be a few new aliens coming up in the bigger UFOs that will be needing a huge chunk of containment space. Also don't worry about the Skeletoid. Once your situation is a bit more stable, you can work on them. Just check in your research after each battle. If nothing shows up for reasearch, then you can safely go into containment and clear it out.

40:

After the sheer number of enemies that came out of the last two before the game crashed, this UFO seemed a bit strange. Still, it might have been better to be patient and wait it out a bit more, but send someone in to bait the aliens and lead them outside.

Rather than open the door - shoot the doors away with Devastators.

Those green walls appear indestructible - but the rest of the UFO isn't. In fact, rather than enter through the lift, you can fly up the side of the UFO, use Devastator cannons (or Power Swords) to cut a way into it from the top and harass enemies from there. I'd still try to fight it out at the entrance, but this would help stir up the aliens a bit.

Random tip: If you see a boomeroid thrown at you and you're standing on a pile of equipment: pick up the weapons and anything explosive! Since the equipment won't be on the ground, it won't create a secondary explosion. You can't do much about nearby equipment that's too far to pick up, but at least you'll not have to worry about an explosion immediately underneath you.

Hatty should have not have tempted fate and run straight back down after waking up.

41:

With the proximity mine, you need to remember the opposite of what you normally do with grenades. Use left click instead of right click.

Don't keep avoiding the alien eggs. Take the time to inspect them and see if any aliens are guarding them, as per this mission. If your agents want to destroy the eggs, let them. Otherwise they provide an extra distraction for your agents when the combat heats up.

These sort of apartments have a low ceiling - long range grenade tossing isn't practical.

42:

Shields. Go for shields. Your two remaining soldiers will thank you for it.

Ultra fast mode makes crash sites disappear. You could have waited until midnight and still have the crash sites available to you, but your troops needed the rest.

When arming toxigun-troops, always arm a backup weapon. Most of your toxigun ammo was wasted on the Psyke guards, which didn't take much damage from them. This is why you need both Toxiguns and Devastator cannons in your kit. For a dual enemy situation such as this, you want Devastators armed by default and only draw the Toxiguns when the aliens show up.

The Brainsucker that got Brutalbarbarian appeared out of nowhere because it hatched behind the team. Robotron was carrying its pod, which fell on the ground when he died. Listen for the tell-tale hatching sound.

Don't rely too much on the AP grenades for fighting with. Use them to save yourself from Briansuckers or a swarm of Hyperworms that are too close, but don't even try to use them on shielded aliens. Shields recharge so any damage done by them will have repaired by the time you can get a proper shot in on the alien.

Final thoughts: I did suggest spending some money on a new base earlier, but in your current state you might have to set that aside for now and stretch your budget out on the essentials. I do recommend that you sell your Boomeroids and buy a Hawk Air Warrior or two as for when the real Bombers and the Battleship appear your Hoverbikes are going to suffer very badly.

If you need to stretch your money even further: strip the Valkyrie apart and sell it and its engine to help towards the payment of a Hawk. Hawks are even better so you're not losing out by retiring the Valkyrie. Having Medium Disrupters added to your firepower will help a lot.

Also buy a new med-bay and move the current one out so you can build a large Workshop to replace the two small ones you have at the moment. You will be hurting yourself a lot if you start adding more small workshops at this stage, as most of the best tech in the game need the large facility. You can think about expanding your workshops or moving them out later on once things have settled down.

- NKF

This was exactly what makes X-COM great; you CAN rebound (within limits) from a total disaster. You can lose your main base with most of the soldiers - and survive. If only you managed to save SOME dough and have another base up.

With XCOM, that is not an option. Even losing your A team is devastating. Mid game, rookies? No way.