1999 REDUX (0.7)

silencer_pl

You said that MIBs should not exist, therefore I understand this way that this mission should not exist.

OK, that explains it, what I meant is that you shouldn't see any units with 'MIB' in the name (there's a known OXC mod by another author that adds 'MIBs') smile.png

Our current only team is weakened to the state of 3 active men. One of the large UFOs is shot down over the arctic sea, while the second one lands again. 3 men squad is pretty much suicidal, but are 3 men be able to recover a crashed UFO? Will SV manage to survive yet another mission ?

Who stole the commander, it was suppose to be in a base and there was neither commander, nor scientist nor elerium. At least the casualties weren't that big. Before we hit the next base let's take a rest and fight some downed large scout. How far can SV move out from the Skyranger before he gets shot? Or will he survive.

So we are now moving towards new, more improved version of UFO Redux. Let's sum up a little events for fast few missions. Some of you might have perished and cloned to perish again. But all in good cause. We had two good runs on alien bases:

224.jpg

225.jpg

226.jpg

227.jpg

We tried to capture either a commander or a scientist. Both very important characters but non were found. The second attack also revealed our first Commander. Will she remain on this rank till the end? Hope so.

228.jpg

The second base have finally reached battle ready status, and their team was sent on their first fight. A crashed UFO, but a terrain that was only seen in dangerous depths of oceans where lobsterman roam.

229.jpg

Our number of bases also increased. A fourth base was placed on the very edge of South Africa. On last mission the main team assaulted landed battleship. Although we've almost lost 50% of the squad, 200 Elerium was worth this.

230.jpg

231.jpg

We've also during that time interrogated Thin Man. It looks like aliens are preparing some devious mission. Can you guess what kind of mission?

232.jpg

In today's episode we will face a new enemy. New alien types. Very tough, and deadly. Fortunately they aren't immortal and can be killed also by the strange reasons to negate ARMOUR PIERCING rounds you just need ARMOUR!! One would think that armour is more for explosives to protect from.

234.jpg

Of course our new friends are accompanied by our old friends.

235.jpg

And it also looks like there is something more there in those missions.

236.jpg

Lucky for us the first encounter did not end in butchering of our squad.

237.jpg

Another week has passed, let's make a summary of what has happened. Moving to 0.7.5+ got a few changes. First of all, the multi launcher got a little overhaul. Instead of carrying 8 rockets with 50 HE damage and almost non existent splash damage, it's power increased to 70 HE, with bigger splash but only 3 rockets. It's accuracy is still nonexistent. Another addition to this version is new Interceptor weapon. The stormhawk missile. It's Alien Alloy equivalent of Avalanche missile with tiny little less damage, but it can carry 6 missiles. At least now you can spend all that Alien Alloys.

238.jpg

I think also Gauss weapons were introduced. They are generally early laser equivalents, but deal AP damage and Heavy Gauss is just plain silly. While heavy laser does like 85 damage the Heavy Gauss` increase is just few more points than rifle. I don't remember, but I think from 0.8 the gauss weapons will be gone? Due to some changes in one important mission.

In our combat readiness, we are now using Alloy Ammunition, which deals ~25% more damage than standard bullets. It will help a little until either plasmas or lasers will be available.

During this time, we've also uncovered the mysteries of few new aliens:

239.jpg

240.jpg

241.jpg

242.jpg

243.jpg

244.jpg

245.jpg

The team from second base is now fully operational, and is doing some missions. They ofcourse also get slaughtered sometimes, but they proved that they are capable. Capturing landed battleship wasn't easy, but at least they did it. And they've managed to stop the aliens plans of crashing a ship although they had to abort the killing because of this. It was just unfair. I think I'll get Blaster Launcher as soon I'll get my hands on that scientist.

246.jpg

Base number 3 in South America will also be upgraded to hold third squad. And there is a radar base constructed on the shores of South Africa.

In the last episode we had again large activity in South America, so today both teams will be flying to clean up the mess. Some of our soldiers have moved beyond clone number X+. Let's hope we won't reach Space Voyager XIX, although they say that this one was pretty good.

247.jpg

248.jpg

249.jpg

Welcome, today is the day, where all things were not one, but two bridges too far. Fortunately you won't see in in current state of the game. You are about to witness a mission, when I had to intervene drastically and only just to show full content of this mod.

At first this episode might look normal. There is one more crash site left clear. Easy peasy right?

250.jpg

251.jpg

But once the marker reaches ~20 min, you will witness this:

252.jpg

This is here the Area 51. A place where you can get: Laser Weapons, Improved HWPs, and Improved Interceptor. All nice, but it's already June. But that's not the point. Unfortunately team 1, was out for this Job, so team 2 has to do it.

We start here.

253.jpg

For some of you the initial look of the map might suggest the one mission I did during early Nooks LP of version 0.5.4. He didn't get it but I showed you just because. It's re-used Omega Facility. It got civilians. Strangely since it's military base of super importance, why it doesn't have armed guards to help us. But OK for now. This is very large map like 100x100 tiles if I'm not mistaken. Remember this is June, so basically all hats are off and I can encounter almost any type of alien. Which means I'll encounter almost every type of alien.

The first scouts that exit, LZ looks clear, but there is a the pink alien we recently thought. By the way they are called Gazers and they are fucking tougher than Mutons.

254.jpg

To the east we spot this guy. You know him. It's overlord and he is vulnerable to AP guns. Lucky us, we are just using them. But still he can blast half of the squad if he wishes too.

255.jpg

We exit the skyranger, left plenty of smoke to feel safe. But wait in the background, there are Chrysalids. And chrysalids + civilians = more Chrysalids. Oh and there is probably an Ehteral or a sectoid leader. Glorious. Looks fun already. If you didn't bother with reading the mission briefing, our job is to find 3 disks with research data and scram. Or kill all the aliens.

Turn 1 has passed and nobody died. We can celebrate. Baldur moves out and spots a floater and a cybermite. Easy enough.

256.jpg

JStank also spots a floater. A little too big risk there, but he lives.

257.jpg

The overlord didn't move, and I don't know how, Simon destroyed a floor by hitting the overlord. Eventually Horst manages to kill it.

258.jpg

And here we spot the Zombie. Hi Zombie how are you? Vare to bugger of?

259.jpg

Next in the menagerie we get a Cyberdisc and Silacoid. I hope AP rounds will be enough for Silacoid.

260.jpg

On the second alien turn, we hear the blast of Phasor Androids. This is getting more silly and more insane, but we have inc weapons at least. And since there are Silacoids, then there must be Celatids too.

Ok turn 3 none died yet. But we are getting more sweaty each turn. Say hello to a Chrysalid. Now who wants to give him a hug? Good thing LMG with AA rounds is good enough.

261.jpg

Now here we meet another type of alien. Say hello to Stalkers who are melee version of Phasor droids. I know you love them already. At first I didn't know that, but since HE didn't work and AP did not work, I could try only thing. FIRE!

262.jpg

Turn 4. Now here comes the super strange part of PSI attack. There was only one attack which got Baldur under alien control, but it also made Pu Jin morale drop like crazy. I mean WTF. There was only 1 sound and visual of attack. What is this bullshit. And now I'm not blaming mod for this. And Hellrazor went this close to being turned into a Zombie.

263.jpg

Here is a sectoid, hope it's the one that does the bullshit.

264.jpg

And did I forgot to mention that Johan is in deep shit?

265.jpg

You thought that's enough of alien types? How about Waspites, who have ~90 ACC. Good thing someone reaction fired.

266.jpg

And here comes reaper to munch Hellrazors face.

267.jpg

So turn 5 and we are 2 men down and 1 unconscious - probably dead in next turn because we need to burn the Stalker. But one of the Stalkers moved away. Horst was very lucky with the damage on the inc grenade and killed one of them. We probably won't be as lucky with the next one.

Turn 6 was pretty quiet. They killed one more civilian. Probably the last, and we have noticed a Celatid nearby. BrutalBarbarian went into a berserk rage and emptied his multi launcher. The explosions were quite away from the Celatid but not too far for the explosion to stun it.

268.jpg

Unfortunately Johan bled to death.

Next in the alien line is the Holodrone. It's not very tough to kill alien, his main advantage is his brutal auto shot that has like 6 rounds? It's not very accurate but still.

269.jpg

The aliens kept closing in. Reapers form west and north side. Sectoid here, and the celatid to the south. Yeah 6 turns and we haven't moved 10 tiles from the skyranger.

270.jpg

Due to high stress level at this point I've accidently moved Ikaroa towards the reaper. Of course the reaper thanked me by munching his face.

If you thought there won't be more alien types, you are wrong. Meet the Mr. Bullshit energy thingy. I don't have energy weapons, but they can be killed by very powerful explosives and not always Large Rocket kills it. Good thing the reaper managed to join the blast club.

271.jpg

It also looks like explosions trigger additional burn damage, because after throwing inc grenade at the stalker he lived, but then after the rocket he died. Well good for us then.

272.jpg

Anyone got a count how many aliens we've killed so far? If you also take a good look, there is this yellow arrow. This arrow points to the one of the disks we are looking for. The problem is those disks can be destroyed by the HE rounds. Marvelous. It's like our 50% of firepower is HE.

273.jpg

On turn 8 I think we've got the sectoid leader. With so many aliens I wouldn't imagine there would be a sectoid soldier (which you will see in the panic list later). It looks like so, because there is no psi attacks.

274.jpg

The visuals on aliens are keep coming, but surely there must be not much more of them right? Tengu kills another Chrysalid, and we saw a Zombie to the NE. And there is one Cyberdisc we know of and Phasor droid. But hey what's this? Great we have a red muton.

275.jpg

I know this is all exciting and all to see him, but really. This is getting to silly. At this point I was very very frustrated and tired. And there are still more aliens to shoot. I hoped that Cyberdisc would stay clear, but know I'm little threatened.

276.jpg

Not to mention we have another Gazer here.

277.jpg

At alien turn 10 we see that aliens slowly lose their marbles. I don't know if it is a good sign, but each turn they just keep coming and coming. Due to panic messages I've counted like 6 more aliens, including snakemen. So there another alien type and probably the last one. All we are missing are Etherlials, Muton commandos, Muton Elites, Sectopods and Armoured Sectopods. Oh wait there are Thin Man too.

278.jpg

And speaking of Snakemen, here are two of them.

280.jpg

Due to panic some aliens run around without guns. But come one, I'm like ~30 kills and there are still more. At ~1:12:00 mark, I've had had enough. In my sights there were like 3 aliens, I know of a cyberdisc and phasor and the panic messages stops popping and I saw plenty of messages. This was turn 20. 20 turns of alien shooting and we haven't moved anywhere. You will have to excuse me. I wanted to quit the mission. My ammo supplies where almost gone. And there were lots of aliens still left. So sorry but this time I had to cheat my way. Because I wanted to show the content of the mod. So at this point I've edited the save and added a 255 critical wound to every alien. There was still Zombie left so I had to go get him. Now if you watch closely when I hit end turn I've counted about ~30 deaths. Yes I'm not kidding. Here is the summary report.

281.jpg

Although It doesn't count for the kills. So let's add up. I've killed 27 aliens, there were ~30 deaths when I've cheated, so that means there were at least 55 aliens on the mission. And from what Hobbes told me there could be ~70 max. So yeah good luck on fighting that on your first attempt, without knowing where the disks are. Hell even if you know where the disks are, you saw that 20 turns I was sitting near the Skyranger because there were aliens everywhere.

Now Hobbes made a change and reduced the size of the map, reduced the alien count to standard terror mission count and moved the area 51 to early months where you won't get those OP aliens.

I hope you've enjoyed this mission and sorry for the cheat. But now we have all the data disks and you can see what new research I can have.