TFTD Extender

Tycho

Thanks, I was wondering why the background was speed racing. By the way, I think that improved smoke is too powerful in the way of providing stun damage. In EU you could spend a time in smoke and the stun damage raised slowly, but here in few turns soldier can get unconscious. Is it deliberate change?

It is too strong by accident: The intention was that fire/smoke damage would occur at the end of each xcom and alien phases of combat. i see now that smoke damage is applied twice at the end of each xcom phase and once at the end of the alien phase.

You can fix this with a simple hex edit of the patcher.dll file, if you use something other than ms-edit:

Find the byte set: 80 FA 02 74 06. The offset address should be around x25B00. Change this to be: 80 FA 01 75 06.

This will cause the patcher to skip the second instance of ApplyFiresSmokeDamage except at the end of the alien turn.

Found another bug. Can't assign more than 5 technicians for Gauss Cannon ammo. Thought it would had to do something with Improved Gauss Tank, but it ain't.

Not a bug but a design flaw in the original code from EU: The maximum number of engineers you can assign to a project is equal to the amount necessary to produce 1 unit per hour. The entire production routine will only allow 1 unit to be produced per hour. In the original TFTD code you could assign more, but the extra engineers' productivity was wasted. I fixed the code so you don't waste engineers.

In EU, there was never a project that had less than 250 hours per item, not so in TFTD so the flaw is noticeable. Each unit of gauss cannon ammo only requires 5 engineer hours so you can only assign up to 5 technicians to the project.

I now understand why the sound is so screwed up in the port. Whomever made the SOUND.CAT file for the window version, didn't use the standard wav format. After reviewing the layout of several samples, I think they used different sound formats for various samples. As a result, the header portion of each sample differs a lot. Instead of fixing the CAT file, the programmers just run some code to overwrite the first 25% of each sample before sending the data to the direct-x sound layer to create the individual sound buffer for that sample. I would not be surprised if the guys over at OpenX create a new SOUND.CAT file to fix the poor quality of the original.

How strong is Calcinite punch? Ufopeadia doesn't say anything, but it took out Improved Gauss tank with one hit. It was side attack but still 90 armour + 69 HP that's like more than 150 damage. Shouldn't tanks have resistance?

https://ufopaedia.org...title=Calcinite

melee damage is equal to a unit's strength.

They don't have the damage modifiers for TFTD listed on UFOpaedia but, if they didn't make any changes, tanks in EU only have a 10% resistance to melee damage.

(62 ~ 186) * 0.9 = (55 ~ 167) damage.

It may have looked like the calcinite hit once but, since the routines in the alien turn can't be slowed down, it may may have hit several times or the program may have determined that the hit was on the left or right armor.

It's quite possible. I need to review a lot of the code for TFTD, especially the assembly, as my understanding of the language has grown a lot since I released 1.07.x. I had to stop working with one of the two programs as the code is similar but with enough differences to make keeping track of all the changes too much for me.

Does this mean a new update might be released soon?

If so, any chance of a "General Store Capacity" feature similar to UFO Extender's?

They don't have the damage modifiers for TFTD listed on UFOpaedia but, if they didn't make any changes, tanks in EU only have a 10% resistance to melee damage.

It's been up for ages here. Assuming Calcinites do drill damage with their attacks, and with the SWS taking 80% damage from it, the math is:

(62 ~ 186) * 0.8 = (49 ~ 148) damage. (Assuming integer truncation).

- Zombie

It's been up for ages here. Assuming Calcinites do drill damage with their attacks, and with the SWS taking 80% damage from it, the math is:

So, I see that is under "data tables". The layout of information for TFTD is so different from EU that I missed it.

Yeah, the TFTD section needs a complete revamp to bring it up to spec with EU. I think the biggest problem was lack of respect for the game by many and the idea that "the game is so similar to EU, let's just lump it together" syndrome. ;)

- Zombie

• 1 month later...

While moving my MC'd Lobsterman up stairs on a shipping route second level map, I encountered the following error:

TFTD crashed at 0x425743 with error 0xC0000005 trying to access 0x0A09E520

Version 1.07

EDIT: Realized that this error is the same I was referring in my old posts. I have all fixes enabled (except Music Change Freeze=0) and mods as following:

Auto sell=1

De-equip Crafts=1

Reorder Soldiers In Crafts=1

Alien Inventory=1

Remove Background Land Sound=1

Base Defense Prep=1

Ok I should try disabling fixes and mods to isolate the problem. But probably it would be smarter to run this in a debugger and save a run trace while playing, I guess

While moving my MC'd Lobsterman up stairs on a shipping route second level map, I encountered the following error:

TFTD crashed at 0x425743 with error 0xC0000005 trying to access 0x0A09E520

Version 1.07

EDIT: Realized that this error is the same I was referring in my old posts. I have all fixes enabled (except Music Change Freeze=0) and mods as following:

Auto sell=1

De-equip Crafts=1

Alien Inventory=1

Base Defense Prep=1

Ok I should try disabling fixes and mods to isolate the problem. But probably it would be smarter to run this in a debugger and save a run trace while playing, I guess

Are you playing with the "double-click" mod? I've seen some rare instances with UFOextender where the game crashes when attempting to move a unit and have suspected that it's something to do with this mod. I've changed how it's implemented in my latest beta version of that Extender and the initial test seem positive but it's such a rare problem I can't say for certain yet.

• 3 months later...

Sorry fot not answering sooner, but I didn't realize you had answered my post. Is there an option form email notification for replies in to my posts?

First, I'm not using the doubleclick movement mod.

I started a new game with the following mod enabled:

De-equip Crafts=1

Base Defense Prep=1

All bug fixes are enabled except

Music Change Freeze=0

I realized that the bug I reported earlier has not reappeared. I suspect it might be caused by Alien inventory mod. Anyways I feel that the game is much more stable when alien inventory mod is disabled.

However the game did crash once with the error "TFTD crashed at 0x43390E with error 0xC0000005 trying to access 0x07FC3748". I don't have a savegame.

Then I encountered the following bug:

Even with the bug fixes EOB and Unconscious Unit MC Fix enabled, I lose two soldiers that have been MC'd and then stunned (by me). In the end-of battle score screen those two are not considered to be lost... but when I go back to base they are missing. I have a savegame to confirm this. P.S. to find the last alien you have to take the soldier (Kurkenko) in the right corner of the map and go upstairs from the nearest elevator and then out of the door and left. There's a tentaculat.

GAME_6.rar

Sorry fot not answering sooner, but I didn't realize you had answered my post. Is there an option form email notification for replies in to my posts?

Not that I know of. Subscribing to this forum will put the topic heading in bold to let you know there are new posts but that is as much as I know.

First, I'm not using the doubleclick movement mod.

I started a new game with the following mod enabled:

De-equip Crafts=1

Base Defense Prep=1

All bug fixes are enabled except

Music Change Freeze=0

I realized that the bug I reported earlier has not reappeared. I suspect it might be caused by Alien inventory mod. Anyways I feel that the game is much more stable when alien inventory mod is disabled.

However the game did crash once with the error "TFTD crashed at 0x43390E with error 0xC0000005 trying to access 0x07FC3748". I don't have a savegame.

The error occurred because the game was attempting to get an entry for map data but the value is all wrong. I think there is a subroutine in the movement section where the extended part of a register isn't flushed properly causing a sub section to use bad data. A result of how the game was ported?

Then I encountered the following bug:

Even with the bug fixes EOB and Unconscious Unit MC Fix enabled, I lose two soldiers that have been MC'd and then stunned (by me). In the end-of battle score screen those two are not considered to be lost... but when I go back to base they are missing. I have a savegame to confirm this. P.S. to find the last alien you have to take the soldier (Kurkenko) in the right corner of the map and go upstairs from the nearest elevator and then out of the door and left. There's a tentaculat.

I found the problem here: I inserted my fix into a nullsub entry in the routine that makes a unit unconscious. After reviewing the section again, I found that the routine puts the unit's byte A information into a variable before this point and uses this variable later on. I just needed to add some extra code to replace the data in this variable after my code fixes the MC state and unit faction.

If you are logged in, click on your name with the arrow next to it in the upper-right of a page. That'll bring up a menu. Pick "My Settings" from the list, then click "Notification Options" from the left-menu. In the "Topics & Posts" heading there are a bunch of settings you can enable to notify you. You can follow the topic and then get notified through the forum notification system list or through email that someone replied to the topic, or you can get notified when someone quotes your posts.

You can also get to this stuff by clicking on your avatar or name by a post from yourself. This will bring up an Overview page, so go to the upper right and click on the button that says "Edit my Profile" and you can get to the Notification Options from the left menu. ;)

- Zombie

Hi, I encountered problem with patch 1.07.2, my barracudas will fire every single one of their torpedoes at once. This has caused the game to crash every time they've tried to fire their ajax and once when they've tried to fire their D.U.P. (presumably this is the same with the gas cannon, but I haven't tried this). I reverted to version 1.07 without changing TFTDExtender.ini, and didn't encounter the same issue.

TFTDExtender.txt

Hi, I encountered problem with patch 1.07.2, my barracudas will fire every single one of their torpedoes at once. This has caused the game to crash every time they've tried to fire their ajax and once when they've tried to fire their D.U.P. (presumably this is the same with the gas cannon, but I haven't tried this). I reverted to version 1.07 without changing TFTDExtender.ini, and didn't encounter the same issue.

TFTDExtender.txt

Thanks for your support! I think I've got this fixed and will be available in the next release.

TFTDExtender.txt

I am using your method to get around this issue also. However going back to 1.7.0 I get a guaranteed crash if my soldier throws a grenade on the battlescape so have to have "hot grenades" turned off but I really like this mod sad.png

Guess I need to wait for the next patch to get the best of both worlds.

Starting a new game after 2 years away with almost all mods turned on, thanks for the fun Tycho smile.png

• 1 month later...
Game somehow automatically kills captured aliens. Example: we need Deep one to evolve an Ion armor etc. Gillmen attack a XCOM base(savegame attached). The base has Alien containment. We dealt with them, 4 aliens are paralysed. Amongst them are 2 Deep ones. Mission debriefing counts 4 live aliens. However, in transfer list we see Deep ones corpses instead of live creatures. Thus XCOM cannot evolve to Ion armor and finish the war properly. To avoid the issue, one need a savegame editor to spawn a Deep one in alien containment forcibly.

game_3.rar

TFTDExtender.txt

Apparently lobstermen become more decisisive with melee attack, but their pets somehow become harmless. They ignore soldiers even at close cell and wander aimlessly. Here is a savegame as example. Two last Tentaculats which are close to soldiers do not attack. Without Extender, they do its job nicely, even with strength lowered to 19. It seems zombification does not depend on unit strength and has its own code. I tried to switch off bugfix by adding string "Fix Tentacult=0" to bugfix section. It is unclear is the bugfix supposed to take its effect on battle or only when battleground generated or on new game starting. I tried some new battles with Tentaculats and switched off the bugfix and tentaculats return to its normal operation.

game_5.rar

TFTDExtender.txt