Let's Play OpenXcom: UFO Redux

Nookrium

Also I see the statues from TFTD have finally been unloaded off the ships and are getting out and about. Or, chronologically, they get loaded up later to keep them away from those lunatics with the guns that go around blowing up random towns? wink.png

In the near future you may encounter those statues inside ships during UFO missions wink.png

And you can already have Port Attack missions...

I was soooo hoping for a point-blank shotgun demonstration and it didn't happen.

I haven't really put either of them to any sort of true test. In my test runs I played around a little bit with them (the shotgun can be quite fun) but not enough to really get a good feel for them, they would probably both be pretty nice in close combat though, especially storming in the tight spaces in the UFOs.

In the near future you may encounter those statues inside ships during UFO missions wink.png

And you can already have Port Attack missions...

Is the Temple map (think that's what it's called) from Tftd in this mod?

Is the Temple map (think that's what it's called) from Tftd in this mod?

Yes, the original TFTD had 2 temple terrains (Atlantis and Mu), and both are present on this mod. Atlantis can be encountered on Desert missions while Mu can appear on Jungle missions (pictured below).

https://www.openxcom.com/content/modimages/thumb_RXQUVPCB120320140320.png

Speaking of maps, does / will OpenXcom support map sizes of TFTD?

How big do you want them? smile.png

https://www.openxcom.com/content/modimages/XEUJDSCX032120150401.png

That's a 100x100 map btw... that's 4 times the size of the usual UFO maps

Now if all maps where the size of this wink.png

It's completely possible. You just need to change the definitions of the ruleset and you could have nearly all the missions (UFOs, Terror Site, Alien Base, Cydonia) in 100x100 maps.

The last alien hunts will be fun. wink.png

Yeah, years of life would be lost in battles. grin.gif

You don't need to kill all the hostiles since that map is only used in a special mission on UFO Redux (check spoiler for details).

Basically I've created a mini-campaign for the 1st month where you start encountering mercenaries on your missions.

https://www.openxcom.com/content/modimages/MYIZIROZ032120150638.png

After a couple of those you learn that the mercs are at the employ of a multinational company who is recovering alien tech to develop weapons.

https://www.openxcom.com/content/modimages/RGJFGEDE040420150142.png

The last mission of the campaign takes place on a Research Facility (slight smaller version of the map presented above), where you need to capture a human scientist. If brought back when interrogated she'll then unlock Laser Weapons (which isn't available from the start for research anymore).

You can also search the large buildings to look for data disks that unlock Combat Armor, Advanced Interceptor, Advanced HWPs or Upgraded Conventional Weapons. Once you get what you're looking for, you can retreat to the Skyranger and pull out - no need to kill all the mercs at the facility.

There's also a big catch: after turn 20 the AI knows the location of all your units, just like the original game, And once that happens it can become very challenging to pull back or stay alien if there's still lots of live mercenaries. Plus, the AI can easily sneak units through your lines and shoot your soldiers in the back since there's so many ground to cover.

This mission only happens on the first/second month and you cannot unlock Laser Weapons research without capturing the scientist.

You may get a 2nd chance of researching laser tech when the mercs reappear later in the game but that can take months and you'll need to locate their transport craft.

Both deaths could have been prevented though. With Hobbes, you could have just moved him back alongside the UFO and then fired the rocket. Or if you were still worried about friendly fire get a grenade relay going.

Didn't I say that Bill Nye sucks? Well, whatever, his death could have been prevented too. Walk to the South side of the door. He could have possibly triggered Rx fire, but the craft hull should make that difficult (or impossible). I would have strafed to the side, looking at the alien the alien the whole time just in case it fired. I'd much rather it shoot at the front where the armor rating is highest. Good riddance though, you have plenty of other willing meatshields ready to take his place. :D

Oh, and GO Zombie! :P

- Zombie

Both deaths could have been prevented though. With Hobbes, you could have just moved him back alongside the UFO and then fired the rocket. Or if you were still worried about friendly fire get a grenade relay going.

The grenade relay would have been wiser looking back on it, I assumed an aimed shot wouldn't have been that far off. At least he got the alien too wacko.png

Didn't I say that Bill Nye sucks? Well, whatever, his death could have been prevented too. Walk to the South side of the door. He could have possibly triggered Rx fire, but the craft hull should make that difficult (or impossible). I would have strafed to the side, looking at the alien the alien the whole time just in case it fired. I'd much rather it shoot at the front where the armor rating is highest. Good riddance though, you have plenty of other willing meatshields ready to take his place. grin.gif

You shouldn't say such things about Bill Nye!!!

I probably should have just dropped the stun grenade and let him take the shot (even though he had a terrible firing accuracy). Oh well, he had really lousy stats. confused.gif

I probably should have just dropped the stun grenade and let him take the shot (even though he had a terrible firing accuracy). Oh well, he had really lousy stats. confused.gif

If his FA was that bad, why give him a rifle? Give him the shotgun instead. Proberoo had a 117% chance to hit with an aimed shot, what a waste of FA. Give the shotguns to the guys with terrible FA and stats overall, use them as consumable cannon fodder/disposable meatshields. The long range shots is where FA plays a big role, give those soldiers the most accurate weapons (like sniper rifles or normal rifles) to maximize chance to hit. ;)

- Zombie

If his FA was that bad, why give him a rifle? Give him the shotgun instead. Proberoo had a 117% chance to hit with an aimed shot, what a waste of FA. Give the shotguns to the guys with terrible FA and stats overall, use them as consumable cannon fodder/disposable meatshields. The long range shots is where FA plays a big role, give those soldiers the most accurate weapons (like sniper rifles or normal rifles) to maximize chance to hit. wink.png

- Zombie

Actually... that's a good idea. I have been putting the shotguns on the guys with high TU's thinking they would be the ones getting up close enough to use them, but when it comes to entering the ship (when they would mostly be used) I always wait anyways so they'd have plenty of time to get up there.

Further on arming high firing accuracy soldiers with accurate weapons, they're also good for rocket launcher duty. The Rocket Launcher has the best aimed accuracy of the standard XCom weapons. It won't stop friendly fire, of course. ;)

- NKF

You already mentioned it in the video, but it can't hurt to reiterate: cut back a bit on the heavy weapons. You've already got plenty of rockets, so it may be a good idea to drop a few heavy cannons for lighter firearms.

The addition of the Darkstar has really used up a bit of space in your primary base. It may be a good idea to send it over to the new base so you can reclaim the space and use it for your later expansions. I'm guessing you will be to be wanting to make more lab or workshop space as new projects come through.

I'm liking the look of the new terrains. I can't but help feel though that they appear to be a meld of mountain terrain (the rocky outcrops and that hill with the cave) mixed up with other natural terrains, and a bit of dressing up. Not a bad thing, considering how rare it was in the original.

- NKF

I agree with NKF, drop some of those Heavy Cannons and Rocket Launchers off at base and reequip with a sniper rifle or two, a rifle and maybe another shotgun (depends on your soldier situation at the moment). The only reason why you have the cannons and rocket launchers is for the Terror Site (which didn't happen yet). There's no reason to use them if all you are going to do is blow your own men up! :P

- Zombie

I'm liking the look of the new terrains. I can't but help feel though that they appear to be a meld of mountain terrain (the rocky outcrops and that hill with the cave) mixed up with other natural terrains, and a bit of dressing up. Not a bad thing, considering how rare it was in the original.

- NKF

Here's a list of all terrains in the Terrain Pack (which UFO Redux uses)

UFO SITES

- CULTA (Original)

- CULTAFARMA (Original Farm + Expanded Farm)

- CULTAFARMB (Expanded Farm, UFO2000 terrain)

- DESERT (Original)

- DESERTMOUNT (Desert Mountain)

- DESERTTEMPLE (Original Desert + Atlantis terrain from TFTD)

- FOREST (Original)

- FORESTMOUNT (Forest Mountain)

- FORESPOLAR (Forest Swamp)

- GRASSLANDDESERT (Northern hemisphere only)

- GRASSLANDDESERTMOUNT (Northern hemisphere only)

- GRASSLANDFOREST (Northern hemisphere only)

- GRASSLANDFORESTMOUNT (Northern hemisphere only)

- INDUSTRIALUFO (Industrial, UFO2000 terrain) CURRENTLY UNUSED

- JUNGLE (Original)

- JUNGLEMOUNT (Jungle Mountain)

- JUNGLEPOLAR (Jungle Swamp)

- JUNGLETEMPLE (Original Jungle + Mu terrain fron TFTD)

- MADURBANUFO (Modified City, UFO2000 terrain) CURRENTLY UNUSED

- NATIVEUFO (Native (Farm + Jungle), UFO2000 terrain)

- POLAR (Original)

- POLARDESERT (Polar Desert)

- POLARDESERTMOUNT (Polar Desert Mountain)

- POLARMOUNT (Polar Mountain)

- SAVANNADESERT (Southern hemisphere only)

- SAVANNADESERTMOUNT (Southern hemisphere only)

- SAVANNAFOREST (Southern hemisphere only)

- SAVANNAFORESTMOUNT (Southern hemisphere only)

- STEPPEDESERT (Northern hemisphere only)

- STEPPEDESERTMOUNT (Northern hemisphere only)

- STEPPEFOREST (Northern hemisphere only)

- STEPPEFORESTMOUNT (Northern hemisphere only)

- TAIGADESERT

- TAIGADESERTMOUNT

- TAIGAFOREST

- TAIGAFORESTMOUNT

- TUNDRADESERT

- TUNDRADESERTMOUNT

- TUNDRAMOUNT

The Taiga, Tundra, Steppe, Taiga, Grassland and Savanna terrains are basically a recoloring of the old Desert/Forest/Mountain PCKs, plus some TFTD sprites. Each terrain (including the originals) has 3-6 different subterrains (Desert, Temple, Polar, Forest, Forest Mountain or Desert Mountain) which feature the vanilla and/or new maps.

Each Geoscape texture has several subterrains assigned, so each mission can be fought in plains, hills, swamps, etc., chosen randomly. The result is that the texture now will only give you an indication of the graphical look of the terrain, since you can have all kinds of different maps present when the terrain is generated.

TERROR SITE/PORT ATTACK

- AREA51URBAN (Military Base)

- COMRCURBAN (Commercial, based on Apartment terrain for UFO2000) TEMPORARILY DEACTIVATED

- DAWNURBANA (Dawn City A, based on Dawn City terrain for UFO2000)

- DAWNURBANB (Dawn City B, based on Dawn City terrain for UFO2000)

- INDUSTRIALURBAN (Industrial, UFO2000 terrain)

- MADURBAN (Expanded Urban, UFO2000 terrain)

- NATIVEURBAN (Native (Farm + Jungle), UFO2000 terrain)

- PORTTFTD (vanilla TFTD Port terrain)

- PORTURBAN (Modified Port terrain)

- RAILYARDURBAN (Railyard, UFO2000 terrain) TEMPORARILY DEACTIVATED

- URBAN (Original)

You already mentioned it in the video, but it can't hurt to reiterate: cut back a bit on the heavy weapons. You've already got plenty of rockets, so it may be a good idea to drop a few heavy cannons for lighter firearms.

I agree with NKF, drop some of those Heavy Cannons and Rocket Launchers off at base and reequip with a sniper rifle or two, a rifle and maybe another shotgun (depends on your soldier situation at the moment). The only reason why you have the cannons and rocket launchers is for the Terror Site (which didn't happen yet). There's no reason to use them if all you are going to do is blow your own men up! tongue.png

Yeah, I think I went a bit overboard with the heavy weapons. I keep telling myself when I'm equipping for the crash sites to remember to load up the AP ammo on the Skyranger but I keep forgetting. The way the floaters were grouped up on that second mission though it was perfect for a missile, but I'm pretty sure live aliens should be a priority.

It's time I learn to properly use some stun rods I think...

Yes Hobbes did a pretty excellent job in the map department.

The maps are fantastic, it's what initially attracted me to the mod, that and the mercenary missions that have yet to really show themselves.

The way the floaters were grouped up on that second mission though it was perfect for a missile, but I'm pretty sure live aliens should be a priority.

You could have just as easily tossed grenades on those floaters if you held off and moved some of your troops closer. Although, you don't have alien grenades yet so it wouldn't be an instakill. ;)

- Zombie

You could have just as easily tossed grenades on those floaters if you held off and moved some of your troops closer. Although, you don't have alien grenades yet so it wouldn't be an instakill. wink.png

- Zombie

Oh Alien Grenades... how I miss them so :(