Terror Extended

Well put Zombie. OK you four, I'm sending you to boot camp. You will learn there how to eat, sleep, drink, fart and die like true X-COM soldier. And if you are asking if we teach you how to shoot, well then forget it. Shooting is something that you either have or don't, so better learn quick. You're active duty will begin on Monday.

Since SV I snuffed it, we take another sacrificial lamb I mean brave soul.

040.jpg

On 21st of March a new crew has arrived to second base. For now they are only on guard duty. We also detect a small USO over Brasil, however it escapes somewhere near Mexico gulf. On next day another USO is detected in same place, this time we take it down west of our base. The troops have been sent with sunrise.

The map is not volcanic this time, but with rocky formations. Soon as the tank exists the Triton he spots alien between the pillars. He received a nice torpedo to the back. Then a usual exit procedure was applied. The tank went south while most aquanauts went east. We have encountered lots of aliens in that direction. On most occasions we had upper hand on them. They have tried to retaliate but all the attack were in vain. And SV managed to even plant a grenade under 2 aliens. He also was promoted to Lieutenant. The Gods must have been sated for now since no gruesome deaths happened. But I'm guessing that they are planning something big.

041.jpg

The second base if almost being able to be defendable at least. New guns are being transferred and as soon the eggheads will learn how to use them, we will be able to perform some actions on the other side of the globe.

On 28th of March a very large USO was detected. Should have followed it. But it probably was on retaliation mission. Think they did not find us. On 30th of March another very large USO in same region was detected don't know if this was too on retaliation but after it went away a large one was detected. This one probably was for terror mission. And we have a port attack on Jamaica. So gear up and let's go.

We are still armed with gauss rifles, but thankfully we have gill man again. Right from the start we had a gill man and deep one on top of those towers and one gill man on the stairs. Further along there was another deep one behind the fence connected to a building and a gill man with vibro blade on the platform.

The team has managed to kill first three aliens on first turn. Moving out of the sub two new gill man were spotted. One on the top of the 3 stories high building the other in the fenced area just to the north of triton. The one behind the fence was pretty darn evasive at first, that is until Ted hit the barrel next to him and the explosion sent the gill man flying. And as our final move Victor sniped the alien on the third floor.

042.jpg

On alien turn another gill man has appeared beneath the platform, few shots and he was gone. Next we wanted to get rid of the deep one in the fenced area, but when Wolfgang tried to get a clear shot, he was killed by another alien near the fenced area where the barrels exploded. Victor went to go and take a look, but before he could spot the alien, he was hit also but his armour saved him from demise. While we expected 1 alien he managed to spot another further behind the Triton. Without taking any chances SV (the second) primed a grenade and threw under the feet of the closer alien. Few other soldiers were designated to flank the second one.

044.jpg

Once he was gone, we could focus on the deep one who wasted all his shots on the tank doing nothing. It also happened that there was a second one inside the building. Because we didn't have a clear line of fire for the first deep one, a grenade was used. Before the grenade exploded, the tank moved to scout further ahead and spotted another deep one. Using simple snap shot he managed to hit him despite his low accuracy.

045.jpg

There were more deep ones further along too. Once the deep one inside the now almost devastated building was dead, the team moved ahead to catch up with the tank. And it also looked like the tank was holding out on it's own too. SV was tasked to go inside the building and see if someone wasn't behind the big door. Unlucky for him there was a deep one. Lucky for him, the deep one didn't care. Because of that SV unleashed a volley of shots on him, just only to stun him. But because the aliens can now bleed out SV was assigned a very dangerous task. Heal the alien and guard him. We need at least one live deep one. He also just in case threw a smoke grenade just to make the alien unconscious longer. Don't know if smoke has any effect on sleeping agents / aliens, but at least the deep one did not wake up.

046.jpg

There were few more aliens to deal with. One inside the tower, and few further along the big house. The team did not have any major issues dealing with them and more or less they happily return to base.

047.jpg

Fortune favours fools as they say ;). They also say fortune favours the brave, so I'm playing a little reckless with you ;)

Another terror mission behind us, this one went pretty good. The end of month was not that far and our rating for march was pretty good.

048.jpg

We are now in April and that means Lobsters will be most common, thankfully that Sonic Cannon is almost done. On 7th of April a very small USO touched down somewhere in Caribbeans. Triton was not fast enough to catch him so Barracuda had to destroy it. After the Sonic Cannons were now usable by troops, the scientists went ahead to get all the pre-reqs for better armour and new subs. Because we will need at least Hammerhead in order to get those colonies.

This month went mostly quiet on our side of the planet. That means the aliens must have taken a lot of actions somewhere in the Pacific. Even if I checked the graphs before now, I wouldn't be able to respond either way. On 21st of April aliens attack Hawaii. Sonic Cannons are here, so I ain't scared of no lobsters. However when I opened the Triton doors, I have little bit got scared.

049.jpg

Yep we are dealing with aquatoids. And that only means, we will get MC attacked like no tomorrow. Better kill them fast before they could see us. While we were able to kill those aquatoids behind the Triton, there was this calcinite on top floor of the hotel and our troops preferred to shoot windows. The calcinite did not wont to scram and he just wanted to hug SV Mk.2. Not to mention that there was another one which punched the Tank to the front. Well our top weapon vs aquatiods have failed. I'll just wait in the corner and cry when they release the MC power.

050.jpg

We were also unfortunate that there wasn't any best place to scatter. While we have dealt with the local threat for now. Turn 3 brought misery, when Leonid Coicaud was mind controlled and threw a grenade into bunch of people, killing 3 men. Also SV went nuts. Looks like Mk. 2 has an issue of having taffy for brain :(. At this point I wanted to pull back and save whoever I could, but instead of that I just pressed on. They can't kill all of us, the gods have been satisfied last time.

051.jpg

The team moves on and scatters to all possible directions. Thankfully next MC attacks weren't dangerous and team could search and destroy more aliens. On farthest north-west corner an aquatoid has played teleportation trick on me. I have spotted him in the small room in the building and then on my turn I saw one way outside. Strangely I thought that it was a second one, because I couldn't see him exit the house. Thankfully the alien didn't use to his advantage. Meanwhile on the south part, the tank was holding on it's own for now, scouting and killing aliens if he could. Also on eastern part, our commander was keeping one calcinite at bay.

The MC attacks were pretty relentless only on those 2 soldiers which caused me little grief. This allowed us to push back aliens to corner and also clean the hotel room. When all was mostly settled, the alien decided to strike back. First the calcinte that was hiding behind the statues, beelined towards our commander and with one swoop killed her.

052.jpg

Then another calcinite beelined towards the tank and killed it too. Next an alien comes out from the bunker under the statues and kills Leonid. Lastly SV got almost blown up by a very strange grenade drop.

053.jpg

054.jpg

Ugh this mission almost went from success to uber failure.

055.jpg

I think you missed the word ALMOST.

::

So after our lucky victory, I've checked the graphs and it looks like I was right. Heavy activity near Japan and South Pacific (I do believe that graphs also aren't cleared when one checks something does abandon game and loads a save?). Triton was sent to investigate Japan and there she is. Alien Colony number 1. Since we can't do anything, we can already count Japan as lost cause. Checking South Pacific is rather impossible since it could be anywhere or there might not actually be any base.

056.jpg

On 23rd of April we get another small USO over South America. Barracuda gave it a little chase, when finally it touched down over Caribbeans. It will be a dark mission and I forgot to load a tank. Thankfully no lobsters. Only few gill man near the sub, the rest was hiding deep near the sub. That's where things went a little hairy. First we lost Bernard because I don't know why I didn't toss the flare further ahead. Then we lost Miguel, because of strange detection bug or something. When Miguel spotted the first alien and the alien was killed, there was no visible sign of alien standing next to the dead one, but as soon as Miguel was selected the next alien was there. Strangely why both aliens weren't spotted together?

057.jpg

When we killed that one, the last trap was inside the USO, and only because the door was destroyed from the grenade that was thrown to kill any alien standing in front of the sub. I don't know if doors should be destroyed like that when the grenade blows on turn when doors are still opened.

058.jpg

A little close from comfort. Probably the tank would help here reduce the death count.

059.jpg

The data graph should be accurate in CE. The code zeros-out all the bytes in ALIEN.DAT and XCOM.DAT, when starting a new game.

Japan may not be lost as the aliens may have just built a colony. If you can get at least one mission per month near Japan, you could offset the penalty for the base being there.

Are you ready for some insanity? I hope not, because I'm not. And no, this is not the colony attack with rookies in plastic aqua armour that I've launched in Triton 2. They can't land near the colony for start. But before we jump in, here are our new victims brave heroes who will die in the name of The Great One.

Nook:

060.jpg

NKF (or should we say EnKeyEff (9000)):

061.jpg

Zombie:

063.jpg

Tycho:

062.jpg

And myself have come out from the shadows:

064.jpg

Of course our heroes will be the first to come out and die horribly. But first a word from our sponsors. Because of that colony Japan called quits. Since we have Tycho on board I will refrain myself from any tentacle jokes. Our scientists quickly discovered the Ion Armour. But I'm lacking the main easy to get component - aqua plastics. Unless we get some big UFO I will have to manufacture some.

065.jpg

But in the meantime on the 3rd of May we get another small USO near South America. It gets shot down almost at the cost. But when Triton was sent, there were suddenly USOs galore. A Dreadnought, 2 supply ships. Looks like they are building base in Caribbeans too. Well then change of plans. Triton goes for the Dreadnought and Triton 2 will go for the small one. Let us see how many USOs we will get, or maybe we will die in horrible painful death?

The start looked promising - promising of death, as there was Xarquid already positioned to kill anyone exiting the sub, and the tank definitely is not that armoured. Since we know that there are Xarquids, the good news is, we are dealing with gill man. The bad news is, we are dealing with gill man, and since it is dreadnought there is one particular gill man that may things difficult.

Anyway, although exiting the sub and hearing all those screams agony would be fun, let's in fact do the other thing and kill the aliens. First thing first - Zombie give me that smoke grenade old chap. The smoke helped fool that Xarquid, and then Nook fired a rocket in his face - yes I've put Mr. Nook on heavy explosives duty - I know I will regret it later. The thing didn't notice the explosion so it ate some sonic rounds. It also appears that there was a second Xarquid just north of the Triton. We also got smoke cover just in case. Also Xarquids have a very strange visual bug when projectile sort of changes plane. Even though we have killed both Xarquids we weren't somehow totally hidden in the smoke as on the next turn Gill Man Commander tried his dirty tricks. And out of all the man he had to pick on me.

066.jpg

Moving on, Tracey made a step forward and spotted a Gill man. Having 74% aimed shot and still being in some part of the smoke she fired at him, missing completely. The gill man on the other hand showed her how you really should shoot. Unfortunately she will not live on with this knowledge. Our first death and there are twice as many aliens as we are.

067.jpg

Moving ahead, we spot an alien being on the lookout balcony. The only thing he didn't know is that EnKeyEff was itching to kill something - something not human at least. Slowly closing in to the USO, we spot few more Xarquids and Gill man on the way. Without any big trouble they were killed. The Gill Man Commander was still doing his best to stop us. This time Zombie was his target. In fact he was so determined, that Zombie couldn't reach the USO. Couldn't because Zombie was suddenly shot from the side. It looks like there was some sneaky little alien that on purpose didn't fire at the tank so I could feel confident.

Once inside the USO, there was only 1 alien on ground floor. The team divided into small teams that will check every corner. Also Me and Nook were waiting for the tank to return from the survey of the back of the USO so we could hunt that hiding alien.

On the first floor of the USO, there were 2 aliens inside the elevator room. With some little help of grenade relying, Tycho threw sonic pulser under their feet.

068.jpg

When the coast was clear the team moved to the second floor. The sideways were mostly empty except the north-western one. The alien was standing on the elevator tile so he also ate a grenade. On the third floor, there were few aliens in the room to the left. We also found out that Zombie's killer was another Xarquid happily floating near the northern edge of the map. Although we had killed him fast, he probably saw us, because suddenly everything went dark and Nook told later that he had to do some Matrix dodging. Also EnKayEff walked pass an alien holding DPL.

069.jpg

070.jpg

Finally most of the soldiers were on the second floor and have divided to search both wings and stay and have a look on the small window in the middle of the floor. There were some aliens taking a walk there. However this spot is very tricky and don't you ever try playing with grenades near it. You might die or something. The rest of the way up to the command center was clear. There EnKeyEff was surprised with a stun attack. It was up to Tycho to replace his position. And unfortunately Tycho snuffed it once he reached the room. But at least the bastard didn't live long enough.

071.jpg

Phew that was a little intense. Didn't thought I could take a dreadnought only in aqua plastics. At one point I thought that someone will die horribly to DPL. Shame for Zombie and Tycho. Let's hope their clones will see more glory.

072.jpg

Well I didn't expect such a win, thought there will be more deaths or even pulling back. Anyway the Triton must return to base, Zombie and Tycho get new clones and off we go to one of those supply USOs. It will be a night time, so it might be even more dangerous.

It's again gill man and the map is full of wrecks. Won't be easy navigating and aliens could be hiding everywhere. The team was advancing very slowly. There were few aliens hiding nearby our LZ, but the scouting party always found them first before they could even react. But then there was this hidden alien and the flares weren't throw far enough. The alien pretty much sniped Zombie II. Well let's see if Zombie III will have more luck.

073.jpg

On next turn Tycho II run to get a flare and illuminate the snipers position, but he also was surprised by another alien. I found this situation pretty funny. But at least next person managed to illuminate one of the snipers. The team divided into 2 squads. One went to find aliens in the north part of the map. And they found pretty nice bunch of them. The other team followed the tank and breached the USO. The tank then went solo scouting the other part of the map.

It all appeared that there was no alien inside the USO. The tank has found 3 aliens on the west side, while the rest of the remaining aliens were hiding in the northern part of the map. There was also Mr. Super Sneaky, who hid so well, that I thought I had cleared the area. Then when my guard was down, he striked at Tracey wounding her critical as she lost conciousnes. Everyone rushed back, but they were too far to help Tracey.

074.jpg

When he was dead EnKeyEff and his team had reached the command room of the USO. Empty and there is one alien at large. It took quite a while to find him. He was hiding in the south-west corner. He was so sneaky that he ignored the tank when it took the first round around the USO.

076.jpg

It looks like there was a bug in counting the dead. Because only 3 died not 6. Also Mr. Nook received a personal commendation for being extremely accurate with that torpedo launcher.

077.jpg

So second of the three big USOs has been dealt with and once again Tycho and Zombie were unlucky. But as they say third time is a charm. The third USO will unfortunately go away, since we won't be able to trek back in time. However we have discovered a second colony nearby. There must have been third large USO which we haven't detected. Also it is time for team Firaxis to have their first battle and at night.

The mission was most of the part quiet. The team moved carefully and half of the map appeared empty. The tank raced towards the damaged USO only to find it empty. 4 corpses lying, so that means there should be 4 aliens wandering somewhere else. One of the alien was hiding behind some cover north of LZ, while rest was hiding North East of our position. We almost lost Colette due to unsuffishened lightning but the armour saved her life.

078.jpg

A small victory but at least the team is not entirely rookie anymore.

079.jpg

Allright boys and girls. The Mag Ion Armours have arrived fresh from the manufacturing bay. Maybe this will help Zombie and Tycho to survive more than 1 mission.

On 11th of May a very small USO was detected near our base and was destroyed. Two days later a supply ship was detected supplying the colony in Caribbeans. The Triton wasn't fast enough though. On 17th of May port in Shanghai was under attack, so we will have a big test for the new armour and because we are so damn lucky it will be night mission, so gear up.

We have landed in the SW corner and it was aquatoids once again, so things might get hairy when they start mind controlling. The first turn was rather quiet. No aliens in sight only few civilians got boned. Second turn was also pretty quiet. We found 1 aquatoid and then we saw calcinite skulking about. But then from turn 3 everything happened. We spot aquatoid in the building with crane and one calcinite had the idea to storm our position. And oh boy was he lucky. Not only that most of the shots missed and even if he was hit he refused to die. And also we hit one of the barrels and the civilian died. Not to mention that Zombie was also accidently shot in the back. But don't worry he lives for now. Also funny bug. Zombie has moved to a position and couldn't walk back. What kind of subordination is this?

080.jpg

The calcinite used the situation that we missed horrible, killed the other civilian and smacked me to the face. Thank lord for that armour or else, everyone would be assigned to happy alien death squad. After this pathetic situation it looked liked everyone put their shit back together and suddenly the aliens were dropping on the word "kill them". Most notably this situation requires a little of highlight. 4 aquatoids standing near the barrels. And the tank didn't miss. That was one glorious shoot.

081.jpg

Next we took care of the aliens in the building with rails and crane. EnKeyEff also had his worst moment ever, missing point blank shot. Lucky for him there was backup. Now what remained is to kill the last aliens hiding in the NE corner.

082.jpg

Sorry Nook, it looks like EnKeyEff stole your promotion.

083.jpg

084.jpg