Let's Play X-Com: Terror from the Deep

Nookrium

It's taken 52 videos on a game I beat when I was 12? Really? Fuck man. Can we please stop feeding the animals with insightful, instructive criticism. This guy simply doesn't get it. Zombie, Silencer, Space, NKF, myself, I'm looking at you and myself. There's only so much you can do. I know I'm coming on as a prick, I know this, but seriously. Gotta let it go man. Finger painting, remember? You have a "Let's play" on the Sims 2.

NoX lately isn't himself. It took me 62 videos to finish OpenXcom and Nook here has all pre-reqs to finish the game. His economy is stable. He only needs more engineers to speed build the leviathan. I predict that he should be able to finish the game in approximately 15 more videos. So I don't see any issues here despite the awful lobsterman introduction.

It's taken 52 videos on a game I beat when I was 12? Really? Fuck man. Can we please stop feeding the animals with insightful, instructive criticism. This guy simply doesn't get it. Zombie, Silencer, Space, NKF, myself, I'm looking at you and myself. There's only so much you can do. I know I'm coming on as a prick, I know this, but seriously. Gotta let it go man. Finger painting, remember? You have a "Let's play" on the Sims 2.

C'mon NoX, I think it's pretty obvious by now that Neptune is going to be wrapping up this Let's Play fairly quick. Have you even watched any of his videos in this series? If you had, you would also see that Neptune IS taking our advice and criticism to heart and applying it in his episodes. He does get it - I wouldn't still be posting here if he just ignored our pointers like some YouTubers do. If you think you can do better or want to show off your mad skills or exploit the game ad nauseum, then by all means please start a Let's Play of TFTD of your own and upload the videos. I'll watch. Really, I will. ;)

Now, I'll admit that it took Neptune a while to fully understand why we recommended the things we did. In the later episodes you can tell he's finally comprehending the power of the Thermal Shok Launcher, Sonic Pulser and Sonic Displacer SWS, and I think it took the Lobstermen to help convince him of that. He's overusing the DPLs a bit IMHO, but hey, he's recouping the ammo due to the bases and having fun while doing it, so more power to him. My suggestion would be to ease up on DPL use as it acts like a crutch allowing you to win even through your strategy skills may be lacking. You need that solid base of strategy skills first so that you can deploy the DPLs at the perfect time. It's kinda like getting a fast car and entering a race: sure, you have the speed to keep up, but if you can't drive then you may crash and burn. happy.png

When Neptune first started this Let's Play, I wasn't very impressed, but as time went on he improved greatly which impressed me. But there were still times where it looked like he was incompetent and that bugged me. That 2-parter colony mission explained it though. It's not incompetence, it's narrow mindedness and focusing too much on the little stuff. That's a good trait, but in a strategy game like this you need to have the ability to see the bigger picture too. It's hard to train this, but I always ask myself "What do I need to do?" and "What do I want to accomplish?" at the start of each turn (in real life too!). Once you have those bullet points, then organize them and execute accordingly. Write them down if you need to. Don't lose the forest for the trees. This list constantly changes so you'll need to roll with the flow and add more if need be. If the list get's too long, then you'll need to pick and choose. Keep at it though and eventually the list will be short enough where you can cross everything off of it. yes.gif

- Zombie

Thanks for the support. I'll admit, I didn't know what I was getting myself into when I started this LP and if it wasn't for this forum I'm sure I would have lost a long time ago. So I really appreciate the tips, even though it did take a bit for them to sink in at times (ahem, shok launcher).

This has become some of the most fun I've had with any game, even though I'll never be able to look at another lobster in the same way again ;)

After seeing the state of the interior of the alien sub, it would have been better to fire a DPL to take out that tentaculat. Also, melee units cannot react, so if you had wanted to save a DPL and shoot it instead, it would have been perfectly safe to have someone move up and open the door. Tentaculats are only dangerous once you end your turn.

By the way, there are plenty of aliens carrying DPLs (1st level) and shok bombs (various levels) in T'Leth, so you can resupply along the way. Sonic cannon rounds however will prove to be very scarce. Since you don't have the drills, you're going to want to stock up a bit on them.

Speaking of which, maybe pack some of the old thermal tazers. They're primitive compared to the shok launchers, but lobstermen don't like them very much. They're a great way to save some ammunition when fighting lobstermen in close quarters, like when you're fighting inside the alien subs.

- NKF

By the way, there are plenty of aliens carrying DPLs (1st level) and shok bombs (various levels) in T'Leth, so you can resupply along the way. Sonic cannon rounds however will prove to be very scarce. Since you don't have the drills, you're going to want to stock up a bit on them.

Thanks for the tips, I'm thinking I may need to manufacture a few stun rounds before heading in, I'm running pretty low and they're too valuable to go without.

How is it possible that you don't have engines. You should always keep 2 and even so they are cheap to manufacture.

Because I'm a moron and decided to sell down to 1 on my last inventory purge. I suppose I could manufacture it couldn't I... oh well, I wanted to grab a supply ship before the end anyways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvNcRUKOwlw&index=57&list=PL3Hfqo2_KOlfab7oDz4abWcCLAgMAA8Y0

The guys chillaxing in the sub probably should have mobilised much earlier to help out the dwindling forces outside. Also a pulser would've been a safer way to clear the rocks.

Panic was your greatest foe this mission. You were making some hasty moves once the Lobstermen started to crowd Jimmy, and I see you were losing track of a couple of them. Keep calm, pull your units out of danger and try to get other aquanauts into position where they can provide support.

- NKF