UFO Extender

Tycho

Unfortunately no. Since I used the workaround (uloading the invisible items from the Skyranger then putting them back in), the issue has disappeared. For now, anyway.

I am using one of the (well, i believe) unused bits in the object's OBPOS byte C to that this grenade has been thrown. So later, when a unit tries to pick it up, the inventory routine checks if the grenade is armed and has been thrown. If so, don't render that image in the inventory screen. Something in a a routine must set this bit under certain conditions. I wonder if it is items that were thrown in a previous battle and later recovered: the post-battle routine doesn't reset the bit.

Hi Tycho,

It is strange that your the only one getting these errors unless, like elfkaa, most people are playing with only the critical bug fixes enabled.

It is not exactly correct.. I am using many upgrades, but I prefer the original game. The TFTD Doors is one good example - it is not a mod at all - it is a fix of what the game didn´t have, but should have..

The other examples are the MP3s music, but e.g. Alien Inventory, Rank In Inventory, keyboard shortcuts but also Stun Fest, Show Grenade State, Geoscape clock and so on.. But about the mods self - yes, I prefer the original game style.. But it is good that if I´d like later to change the game, then I can change many and do the game a little harder or different comparing to the original.. So then I could make somewhat new game..

Also I am little afraid of the huge patching the game because of errors and then I know I am not using the original UFO Defense, but modded - because of the Intro I also have the music in MP3 and I know it is not at all compatible and it may crash if I set some of the patches to on then. But I have set force language to skip the the screen as I don´t need it and the game now looks great and working I think well - even I know that it still could crash - as the game was very buggy and you have already fixed many..

Tried to see if the base defense crash still happens with base defenses turned off. It does and the bad instruction (still 4A2835) is now trying to access 00000002. So the problem is not there.

Also, the crash happens regardless of whether the base is attacked by a battleship or a terror ship. I could surrender the base (since I already have a second base set up and operational) but I'd rather not, seeing as it would set me back more than a month AND the aliens just established a base right next to mine (as in, literally right next to; it's less than an hour away by Skyranger and I already raided one supply ship meant for it).

Tycho, here's the save you asked for:Base Defense Crash.zip

Tried to see if the base defense crash still happens with base defenses turned off. It does and the bad instruction (still 4A2835) is now trying to access 00000002. So the problem is not there.

Also, the crash happens regardless of whether the base is attacked by a battleship or a terror ship. I could surrender the base (since I already have a second base set up and operational) but I'd rather not, seeing as it would set me back more than a month AND the aliens just established a base right next to mine (as in, literally right next to; it's less than an hour away by Skyranger and I already raided one supply ship meant for it).

I think I have the crash fixed now. A few different compiles and it still seems to be working with no problems.

Version 1.32.8A

• Fix for crash when exiting base editor when "Base Defense Prep" mod enabled.
  • Fix for random disappearing items in soldier inventory.
  • Removed the "enhanced game" option. Options can be enabled individually.
  • Removed "Critical" option from Bug Fixes. Allowed newest fixes to be individually disabled for testing purposes. Check INI for details.

I just realized I forgot to change a setting that gives the penalty to UFO attacks when using True Cautious Mode. Until the next update, you will need to add this to the INI to get the benefit:

[Enhanced Game]

Apply=1

I don´t understand it completely now..

readme.ini contain many things but not all is working now..

Critical is not present now, but what exactly enables Bug-Fix Apply=1?

As I understood it before, that the Apply=1 in bug fix section enabled some bug-fixes that you think is good to be enabled and the Critical enabled just a few only critical big fixes that causing the game to crash.. Now the Critical is not present but - is it replaced with Apply=1? So if I set Apply=1 then the critical bug-fixes are enabled and no other? Can I select the other options individually or not? How could I for example enable or disable the Craft Weapon UFOpaedia Fix? I need this option to be able to change because not all languages are corrupted or simply I don´t wanna fix it because I don´t need there any text (forced to be the english..)

And at second - there is written in readme.ini that the Hacks section contain e.g. Big Brother or e.g. Alien Pets, but it seems to be completely removed.. And that is for sure bad sad.png I don´t think is good idea to remove some options - they should be disabled by default but there should stay the option to be experimentally enabled if you like it..

Except for the current round of fixes all others are enabled/disabled with the apply= under [bug fix]. The current round of fixes are only available as individual entries so players can help isolate the cause of an issue. The concept of 1.32 (which is why it is listed as experimental) is that it is a more balanced game in that there are less exploits and logical flaws, especially in the Geoscape/Economics. Of course, the specifics are not perfect and may need to be tinkered with. If your interested in helping with this, use 1.32, which means I need people to be using the same options. If you are just wanting to play the game as you always have with a few bonuses, use 1.31.

Hello Tycho,

just right installed the original XP UFO Defense (Collectors Edition) and added the latest extender with the default setting and start the game on Superhuman level. All the GAME folders is clear, only contain DUM.BIN file.

XCOM crashed on (0x45F947), but it seems it was because of CE version of UFO.

So it is very important what version do you use!

So I installed Gold Edition and it seems working well. The only one thing I found for now:

I researched Sectoid Authopsy at first but after I researched it and clicked View Report, there was no Sectoid Authopsy screen but returned me back to

set new research..

It was new game on Superhuman level with standard Extender INI settings - only changed the setting for my screen size and ration, then Clip Cursor and Scale Mouse to =1.

But now it seems there is no crash for now and the game seems stable. So I am using the Gold Edition of UFO. I have saved the game and will continue playing/testing later..

hmm..could you send me a link for that executable. I'd love to compare it.

update: After some research, one of the files was a modified executable and not a separate version. UFO Defense Gold and The Collector's Edition contain the same version of the game. The name difference was for marketing purposes.

Hello Tycho,

I don´t know if it is normal, but if aliens kill your unit in a battle then you will have wrong score for number of units killed, but if they not kill them, only stun them and you loose, there is on the report written only number of killed units and I am not sure how it is counted if it is the score only of killed units. Maybe e.g. in harder levels (superhuman) game they could be maybe counted as killed also as they are lost also..

Hello Tycho,

I have found the problem on my test game on mars..

If I tried to unload a gun before the mission start, it is not possible, and (tried wrongly: while both the hands were full) while after in the game, the game will crash with the error:

Application failure.. Not always - I tried few times..

XCOM crashed at 0x4305BE with error 0xC0000005 trying to access 0x0052B917

in the while I am pressing the unload button with the selected gun.

It also do all the previous extenders including 1.31 but noticed first the error in the newest 1.32.

Another notice:

If you pick the gun in the inventory screen, switch to another person by the arrow (nothing will change, but you can put the gun to another one, but if he already holds something, then he can have two guns in one hand.. If the other hand is then empty and you select umload gun, the game will crash with the error:

XCOM crashed at 0x4305A2 with error 0xC0000005 trying to access 0x0052B416

Can this crashes cause the game file self? As I am not sure if it is not corrupted.. It is downloaded from some place and not played until mars by me..

I will send you PM with my game, please check and test.. Also I noticed some other crash while cryssalid killed my unit and after her dead scream the game has crashed - but played on 1.31 my modified czech version in that while, with the error crashed at 0x0 trying to access 0x00000000 smile.png

Hello Tycho,

I have found the problem on my test game on mars..

If I tried to unload a gun before the mission start, it is not possible, and (tried wrongly: while both the hands were full) while after in the game, the game will crash with the error:

Application failure.. Not always - I tried few times..

XCOM crashed at 0x4305BE with error 0xC0000005 trying to access 0x0052B917

in the while I am pressing the unload button with the selected gun.

It also do all the previous extenders including 1.31 but noticed first the error in the newest 1.32.

Another notice:

If you pick the gun in the inventory screen, switch to another person by the arrow (nothing will change, but you can put the gun to another one, but if he already holds something, then he can have two guns in one hand.. If the other hand is then empty and you select umload gun, the game will crash with the error:

XCOM crashed at 0x4305A2 with error 0xC0000005 trying to access 0x0052B416

Can this crashes cause the game file self? As I am not sure if it is not corrupted.. It is downloaded from some place and not played until mars by me..

I will send you PM with my game, please check and test.. Also I noticed some other crash while cryssalid killed my unit and after her dead scream the game has crashed - but played on 1.31 my modified czech version in that while, with the error crashed at 0x0 trying to access 0x00000000 smile.png

I think most of these were a side-effect of the save equipment mod, particular to equipping for cydonia level 2. You should also notice that all your soldiers don't appear to be carrying weapons at the start. Once I figured out it was happening in the save equipment mod, the fix was simple.

Oh, I am not sure if I understand well.. I have Save Equipment = 1.. Then It means that if I change to =0 then the error will not happen? Or did you fixed it right now and will be fixed in the next release? Or is it because of the saved game was saved with the mod Save Equipment =1 and this causing this error so it will have no effect if I will disable it for now?

Oh, I am not sure if I understand well.. I have Save Equipment = 1.. Then It means that if I change to =0 then the error will not happen? Or did you fixed it right now and will be fixed in the next release? Or is it because of the saved game was saved with the mod Save Equipment =1 and this causing this error so it will have no effect if I will disable it for now?

Disabling it before going to the final level will get around the problem.

Well - it seems allright - the only thing to solve can be the holding two guns in one hand..

It can be done by clicking the ground button then place the gun back to the hand - then the gun will disappear but the man is still holding it (you can see it if you switch between soldiers and back). But this place is blank and you can put another weapon there.. Then if you remove the clip the game will also crash (but the problem is that it is possible to put the second gun to the same hand.

If you like to know the error message exactly even that, I have this (removed from small launcher a stun bomb)

at 0x4305BE error 0xC0000005 accessing 0x0052B411

Hmm, the other problems - for sure - I am using 1.32 the newest (no modded exe - I am now using the original executable and original setting of the latest INI for 1.32 - only disabled Save Equipment to =0 )

First: There is enormous number of Silacoids - they multiplying self - moving from the same place many silacoids..

There is the mentioned crash also in 1.32 (while Cryssalid kill a man - not always - but while it happens it will crash with the error:

XCOM crashed at 0x0 error 0xC0000005 trying to access 0x00000000

I will send you PM with the link to the game that crashed.. There is man holding invisible gun (but he can shoot while reserved in the Alien Turn. I think he can see more than he should see also smile.png look at it what Wolgang Keller can see smile.png (Maybe it can also have some connection to the silacoid bug as if there are many in one place that he will see only one, but if they produce something like light-like visibility...??)

He is holding invisible Small Launcher - done by putting two guns in one hand - described more up - then thrown the first gun out off the hand..

Continue down around the wall - you will see the chrissalid - if he will kill you then maybe the game will crash like it happened to me..

First: There is enormous number of Silacoids - they multiplying self - moving from the same place many silacoids..

There is the mentioned crash also in 1.32 (while Cryssalid kill a man - not always - but while it happens it will crash with the error:

XCOM crashed at 0x0 error 0xC0000005 trying to access 0x00000000

I think he can see more than he should see also smile.png look at it what Wolgang Keller can see smile.png

The crash was caused by the changes to the zombification routine but only occur because you were playing at beginner level. I fixed that. All the celatids (not silacoids. Silacoids are the rock creatures.) are behaving exactly as their game description says they should: cloning themselves.

The things that can be seen are as they are. Neither Seb nor I have altered that code. There are occasional oddities but nothing that concerns me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tycho, many thxs for your awesome continued work.

On battlescape, among other, i higly appreciate Stun Fest and your 'fixes' regarding unconscious civilians.

If possible, could you please add in further versions option to stun xcom soldiers so you don't

have to shoot the guy with the rocket launcher when he's going berzerk and no medic available?

(...no sir, of course, i never have nor would shoot my own troops !)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Tycho, many thxs for your awesome continued work.

On battlescape, among other, i higly appreciate Stun Fest and your 'fixes' regarding unconscious civilians.

If possible, could you please add in further versions option to stun xcom soldiers so you don't

have to shoot the guy with the rocket launcher when he's going berzerk and no medic available?

(...no sir, of course, i never have nor would shoot my own troops !)

Thanks for supporting the Extender. What you want is pretty easy to implement. I just have to remove the line that excludes stunning someone of your own faction. Will be available in the next release.

The main features of the next release will include:

* Playing all sounds through the BASS sound library, which allows implementing separate volume control for MP3 music and game sounds.

* Explosions occurring in quasi 3D for open spaces.

* Explosions from projectiles that are fired into a ceiling will not occur on the level above.

* Stop soldiers from throwing grenades through ceilings without holes.

* Access to the melee attack of an MCed terrorist unit.

* Option for random terrorist units on alien ships or to give some races an additional type of terrorist.

* Fix for the celatid's attack, so it aims higher in the target's square and not at the ground.

Edited by Tycho

As always, i am amazed. Some more feedback and suggestions:

i) good work with Hot Grenades mod in 1.32.8.a (both fixed TU and no picking up primed grenades!)

ii) possibility to win game early due to overwhelming success is cool but may annoy some people for the same reason as an early loss. May not be possible to implement but ingame prompting whether to go on or not would solve this issue once and for all. (You won/lost the game but war goes on...continue or resign?) Or, game goes on and just a message is displayed.

iii) i think, the added Heavy Laser alternative firing modes would befit the auto cannon quite well, too. For game balance perhaps in exchange for allowing AP ammunition only.

iv) any chance the random alien ship floor plans form XcomUtil make it into Extender ?