OpenApoc

pmprog

Hi everyone,

I'm new around here, but I've been a part of OpenXCOM on and off over the years. I'd been pointing in this direction based on a couple of users who mod Apoc here, so I thought it might be a good place to drum up a bit of interest.

I've started (in a very loose sense) an open source remake of Apoc, with the plan to use the original data files, with support for mods etc.

It's extremely early days, so as of yet, there's nothing for players to see, but if you want to tag along, I've set up a board; and the source code is in my GitHub account

https://openapoc.pmprog.co.uk/index.php

The current source code is boiler plate whilst I write the routines to import the data files, then I'll probably restructure that to better suit the game.

Regards

TFTD shouldn't take long. The main point of tedium in implementing it would likely be in the font colours - speaking as someone who's written code that can render maps from either game. Yeah, there's a bunch of stuff in the executable that needs to be dragged out (USO flight paths, regions and whatever), but I'm honestly surprised TFTD support wasn't added well before 1.0.

Perhaps someone should run through my code and look up where all the references to the UFOgame boolean are... :laugh:

Apocalypse, on the other hand, is an entirely different game, so one way or another it'll need a new starting base. And it doesn't really matter when that project starts, as odds are there are coders available now who aren't interested in working in the current OpenXcom project, and odds are there are coders working on that project who won't be interested in moving on to Apoc later.

There isn't a lot of documentation around for Apoc's data files, though. I did write a couple of tools for manipulating them, but nothing too complex. Assuming you haven't already sussed it out pm, you can find my notes on its PCK files here; there's also my image extractor (with source) over here. Plus this funny little tool which is rather less useful.

If you were doing in OpenXcom project and now they are doing TFTD, wouldn't it be better to help them with that and together then do Apoc?

I considered this (and even mentioned it in the OXC IRC channel last night), but I really didn't spend all that much time in the OXC code, so I'm not sure how much I could help them... That said, I'll be keeping an eye on the project, and might help out if I see something I can help with.

TFTD shouldn't take long. The main point of tedium in implementing it would likely be in the font colours - speaking as someone who's written code that can render maps from either game. Yeah, there's a bunch of stuff in the executable that needs to be dragged out (USO flight paths, regions and whatever), but I'm honestly surprised TFTD support wasn't added well before 1.0.

From what I heard from the guys, whilst there's a lot of superficial changes, there's quite a few changes under the hood. Things like water-based weapons that don't work on land. Besides, it's good to not over-complicate your v1.0 goal ;)

There isn't a lot of documentation around for Apoc's data files, though. I did write a couple of tools for manipulating them, but nothing too complex. Assuming you haven't already sussed it out pm, you can find my notes on its PCK files here; there's also my image extractor (with source) over here. Plus this funny little tool which is rather less useful.

Yeah, I noticed that lack, slowly digging through though. Did you ever look at compression 128? Are there many PCKs with that compression method?

But thank you for your notes, tools, and offer. I'm sure I'll be taking you up on that at some point.

A quick question to anyone interested, regarding data files:

OpenXCOM uses a combination of the original game files and additional "rule" data files, whereas UFO:The Two Sides at install ran a batch conversion of the original game data into a format used by itself.

From a modding perspective, I would have thought the latter would be a better option, but what do you guys actually think?

That depends what you want to achieve. For The Two Sides wasn't it necessary to change it because of the use of higher resolution graphics?

Yes, it was.

As for what I want to achieve. The more I think about it, I'm not really sure.

At the moment:

• It's easy enough to get running through DosBox
  • The resolution isn't bad
  • There's already plenty of modding tools available

Other than making modding easier, and potentially adding on the bits that were left out of the final game, I guess it doesn't offer much.

So yeah, maybe it's not really worth it. It's not like UFO:EU which had a number of restrictions based upon the technology at the time.

Improved graphics is always nice. UFO:EU would be once again top champion to compete if OpenXcom could make it High-Res.

But if it will be too complicated better stay with the original and simply fix the bugs that were left and for example return missing/cut content.

Improved graphics is always nice. UFO:EU would be once again top champion to compete if OpenXcom could make it High-Res.

I believe the guys from UFO:TTS released some of their high-res graphics to the OXC community, I don't know if anyone ever tried to use them though

But if it will be too complicated better stay with the original and simply fix the bugs that were left and for example return missing/cut content.

Yeah, I read there was supposed to be several dimensions in the original game, but only one made it into the final cut, so that might be an interesting concept. Esp' if I make it easy enough to add other aliens in.

Also :)

• 2 weeks later...
Really looking forward to this project, so much so i have just download some Map editor files for it ( will see if they actually work next weekend). Hoping a few people from these forums head on over to the project forums and offer there support, its a big undertaking.

• 5 months later...
Other than making modding easier, and potentially adding on the bits that were left out of the final game, I guess it doesn't offer much.

But that's exactly why the project is interesting!

Look, you could run the first two games with DOSBox too. The reason Openxcom is so popular must the bugfixes and the modding potential. And this is precisely what I expect from OpenApoc, plus adding the missing stuff if it can be done.

I'm just hoping we find enough coders.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Ok Falks so here Alfa 0.1 out =D

and guide from Istreabitel

- how to launch OpenApoc

- how to submit bug report if you find it

You can now try out OpenApoc! Finally. And good news, it's not just 0.1, you can now just get to try the lastest features we've implemented immediately when we do so!

Simple steps to play OpenApoc on Windows right now:

1) Acquire X-Com Apocalypse original game CD, or an image/archive of that.

- you need have all files in ISO file including MUSIC etc

- if it's in .iso format, rename it to "cd.iso"

- if it's not, copy all the contents into a folder and rename the folder to "cd.iso"

2) Visit

- If you see a green latest build then you can get it, if it's not then go to HISTORY at the top and click another build that's green

- Click Platform x64 (or Win32 if you need 32bit binaries)

- Click ARTIFACTS

- Download the first option (without "debug" in it)

- Unzip downloaded file which will create a new folder with everything from us inside

3) Put cd.iso (image or folder) into data folder inside OpenApoc folder

4) Run and enjoy!

If you're getting blank buttons in the main menu, most likely your system's native language is not english. OpenApoc already has translations in multiple languages, but doesn't have the fonts yet. Therefore, you will have to set it to english to work for now.

Steps to change language to English:

1)
Create file named "OpenApoc_settings.conf" inside OpenApoc folder.

2)
Put these two strings of text in it and save:

[Framework]

Language=en_GB.UTF-8

3)
Next time you launch OpenApoc, you'll be all set!

To make a full screen:

1)
Put these lines of text into a config file and save:

[Framework.Screen]

Width=1920

Height=1080

Fullscreen=1

To disable the intro movie:

1)
Put these lines of text into a config file and save:

[Game]

SkipIntro = 1

When you want to try out a newer version:

1)
Just repeat steps 2-4 above. At this time, better use a new folder and delete the old one every time you update, as an in-place update may bug out in some way.

If you find a bug:

1)
Visit

2)
Click "Issues"

3)
Click "New issue"

4)
Create an account if you don't have one yet

5)
Describe the bug, if you can, describe how to reproduce the bug reliably

6)
Attach the "openapoc_log.txt" file from OpenApoc folder

* Note that this file is re-written every time you launch OpenApoc, so attach it after you have encountered the bug and closed the game, before you run the game again.

Lastest updates about what's ready in the current release:
- State of the game (about 3 weeks old)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxdOvvrxBk4
- More features
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoDboL0Ya9I
- Base defenses
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGavIbfhDxc

So the addition to the previous guide for installing Openapok

Create a file named "OpenApoc_settings.conf" inside the OpenApoc folder.

To make a full screen

1) Put these lines of text into a config file and save:

[Framework.Screen]

Width=1920

Height=1080

Fullscreen=1

To disable the intro movie

1) Put these lines of text into a config file and save:

[Game]

SkipIntro = 1

Wallpaper https://pp.userapi.com/c639122/v639122229/3f430/xng3HDcQZ_Y.jpg

• 10 months later...