Two issues with UFO Extender

papadadfather

I've seen it happen. I don't think it has anything to do specifically with Extender. You could try saving the game right before ending the mission. End, see if any live aliens are reported. If not, exit, disable all options except video, reload and try again.

That is correct. The game keeps the MC and faction state when a unit goes unconscious. At the end of battle sequence, it doesn't account for this, so the alien falls through a giant crack. I fixed this in TFTD by checking the MC status and restoring it and the unit's faction to original before KOing a unit.

Finally managed to capture a live commander and get the Cydonia mission unlocked. I hadn't read anything about it and had little idea what to expect.

Working myself into the base I already got few of my squad slaughtered, and infiltrating it I made more and more mistakes and kept getting guys killed. I was playing the whole game ironman mode, no reloading. I actually had no idea what would happen if I'd fail it, if I'd get another chance to send another squad there or if it was really "Cydonia or Bust" in the most literal sense.

So anyway I had killed a ton of ethereals but still my troops kept getting mind-controlled and slowly my they had dwindled down to just two, both getting mind-controlled every other turn as I was aimlessly wandering around in the base trying to find out what I should do. Then one of them saw a long hallway and started to walk along it towards the only unexplored regions of the map. The other guy got slaughtered. I had basically given up all hope and just wanted to see what was at the end of the hallway and at the back of my mind I was hoping I'd be able to send another squad to Cydonia since I didn't plan on reloading and I had spent probably upwards of 50 hours in this game.

I was walking the hallway along and the guy kept panicking, I had to pick up his weapon every other turn but slowly and surely I was making progress and arrived to the end seeing two elevators. I took the elevator up and now I saw I was at the heart of it. The room was empty aside from the pulsating eye thing at the other end. Again I had no idea what it was exactly I was supposed to do. So I did the only thing I could think of, took few steps towards the middle of the room and with my last TUs sprayed at the glaring eye with my heavy plasma. Few chunks of it flew off and when I ended the turn and BOOM, I had won the game.

What a great feeling. Had to just sit there for a few minutes letting it all sink in. Only later reading the wiki I found out I'd have had replay the entire damn game if I hadn't gotten so lucky to find the eye with my last guy.

Thanks for all the answers in the thread guys! Such a great game.

• 1 year later...

I have such a save of my own, but oddly enough the forum doesn't seem to want to let me attach it to my post at the moment.

I'm not 100% sure this is all there is to it, but my few quick tests suggest the issue is triggered by loading a save in which zombies exist, but Chrysallids do not. The game doesn't load the Chrys sprites (because during the init stage it didn't see the need), so if you hatch the zombies you see nothing. Saving and reloading after hatching them sorts it.

This behaviour appears unrelated to Extender (or any other mods) and is just another bug with the game itself. You should be able to reproduce it fairly easily with my battlescape save editor (the only keys you need to know are F and L to reveal everything, then Ctrl+X/C/V to cut/copy/paste units. If you bring up a unit's stat page while fog of war is disabled you can change its race).

Klatuu Verata NECTO!

I found the source of this problem and will include it in any future release of the Extender.

I guess the Gallops wanted to reduce load times for those old slow hard drives: When the battlescape engine starts, only the graphics for active units in the UNITPOS.DAT file would be loaded with the addition that the Zombie's PCK and TAB files are loaded if a chryssalid is an active unit. However, there was no additional code to load the chryssalid files if none were active but zombies were present. Since load times are not a consideration any more, simply removing the code to skip dead/inactive units fixes this problem.