New S^3 Mod "All Uniforms" in development (feedback is welcome)

BlunterII

Okay I found the first problem Blunter: your mod does not seem to work with Random Storm mod. What happened was when I used Random Strom with your mod, the first map was all strange looking, like I am in an editor, with floating doors and whatnot. No idea why that is. Maybe you can take a look yourself, here is the mod: https://www.strategyc...mstorm-rs3_mod/

Maybe it works if I use the "Add Mod" tool.

And another bug I found: the merc selection screen is messed up, some of the thumbnail photos do not match the description screen, while the cheapest merc you can hire has no photo or description to speak of. I am uncertain what the problem is (I added the Random storm mod via mod add, but it only adds random encounters and should not mess with the description screen).

Also is that normal that Sam and the Sentinel you rescue are not longer in your team when you return? I find that odd.

Also is that normal that Sam and the Sentinel you rescue are not longer in your team when you return? I find that odd.

From the "Saving Sentinel" mission just after you're inducted into the Sentinels? If so, yes, it is. They'll leave all the stuff they're carrying in the armory closet, though.

Okay I found the first problem Blunter: your mod does not seem to work with Random Storm mod. What happened was when I used Random Strom with your mod, the first map was all strange looking, like I am in an editor, with floating doors and whatnot. No idea why that is. Maybe you can take a look yourself, here is the mod: https://www.strategyc...mstorm-rs3_mod/

Yeah I had that same problem with V1, however it is only the first encounter. After you're done with the first mission, you can activate Random Storm again with S3Addmod and it'll work just fine.

Seems they changed something in the starting area.

Equipping the binoculars instantly crashes my game, aren't spose to equip them I guess? :P

Maybe it works if I use the "Add Mod" tool.

Lt., "All Uniforms" is not going to be compatible with any mod that adds new templates, persons or uniforms.

Komik's mod adds quite a number of new templates and judging by the screenies he provided it might also have new textures, materials, models and possibly uniforms. When new entries are created, they automatically get a new ID (in S^3 the default count starts at 1000000) . If 2 mods have competing IDs (which is the case here I am afraid) you get a conflict. The manifestations of those conflicts may vary: from good old crashes, to errors, stuttering, graphical corruptions, etc.

I suspect "All Uniforms" and "Random Storm" will have some serious ID overlapping - making them incompatible. Novik's "Add Mod" is unlikely to remedy that.

To work around that I would need to redo the whole mod from scratch by changing the initial db starting ID value to something else usually higher than the default (i.e. H&S team who also worked with S^3 editor - changed theirs to 1300000 and made their default ID for modders start at 1500000). I could probably change those in the database - but we are talking about several thousand entries scattered across dozens of db tables - and frankly I don't think I'd want to do that.

Besides, I'll be making my own random encounters - give me some time wink.png

Btw, any ideas you post are useful. So don't hold back: describe what kind of encounters you would like to experience. Although, general descriptions are fine, I prefer more detailed ones. I already have a visual of the "zombie wave defense" encounter that TR and Ecthel have been discussing: the introduction, the possible dialog, the building, the surroundings, the flora, the terrain, the weather, the supplies, the strong points, the objective of the map, the waves of enemies and their strength and tactics, the possible escape routines, etc. Everything is being fleshed out. That helps me a lot.

An example of what I would consider a complete description of a bandit encounter (well the beginning of it at least):

1. Upon loading the template the camera fades in and focuses on the party.

They are located in a small pine forest next to several pine trees and bushes. The forest floor is sandy and covered with pine needles and dry grass. There are a few small moss covered stones protruding from the ground. The party members are in one of the corners of the template (south), they are crouched and facing the opposite corner (north). Their vehicle, a motobike or a car (if present), is in the bushes not too far from the south-western edge of the map.

It's evening. The weather is foggy and gloomy with trees casting long shadows.

2. The main character (MC) is to the very left of the rest of his crew. MC turns to face them and they turn to face him. A short dialog starts:

MC: " Let's take a closer look. That log in the middle of the road didn't get there on its own". The party starts moving north, one by one. Camera moves north (or fades out and fades in) revealing a dirt road the party was traveling on and a log (or logs) suspiciously lying on the ground effectively blocking the passage. The road stretches from the south-west to north-east dividing the map into two rectangular parts. The other side of the road is lower and swampy with small unhealthy (fewer needles) pine trees, darker leafy grass and small bodies of dark stagnant swamp water.

Camera fades out again.

3. Camera fades in showing the party positioning themselves on their side of the road using bushes and trees for cover. One of the party members (MC?) moves closer (crouching or prone) to a surrounded by woodchips tree stump on the other side of the road and the next dialog starts:

MC: "Looks fresh..."

4. The Camera moves to the north-most corner revealing a group of Bandits sitting around a fire. Three are sitting and talking,

one is standing with his back to them playing an animaton of fixing something near a small tent, two others are standing several yards away from the rest of the group and smoking. One is on the look out crouching on an elevated cliff or a stack of crates or logs.

Camera focuses on the bandits around the fire and their dialog starts...

(fill in the blanks)

If you can imagine it - describe it - if I can imagine it (after reading your description) - I can make it.

I enjoy making encounters. They are a lot of fun.

@TR, I can place randoms anywhere on a chapter map (Black Forest included)

@Fireman, I don't think there are animations supporting climbing a vine or a pipe in the game. I could make something look like a vine and give it ladder like properties but the characters will still be climbing a ladder (I suspect it would look rather awkward)

@TR & Ecthel - keep brainstorming, please. It's of great help.

(to be continued)

~Blunter~

Yeah I had that same problem with V1, however it is only the first encounter. After you're done with the first mission, you can activate Random Storm again with S3Addmod and it'll work just fine.

Seems they changed something in the starting area.

Equipping the binoculars instantly crashes my game, aren't spose to equip them I guess? tongue.png

It is most likely to be a template ID conflict, that's all. Nothing I can do about it, sorry.

The more templates I make the more conflicts you'll be experiencing. And since I make hundreds of them all Komik's templates will eventually conflict.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just tested the binoculars in the game. Couldn't reproduce the crash you are experiencing.

Are you using any mods? Random Storm, perhaps? If you are - you might have to disable them and see if the problem persists with just "All Uniforms" enabled.

Binoculars is a "weapon" - so if you are using any mod that adds RPGweapons, RPGclips, RPGammo types, etc it will conflict.

P.S. Hey guys, can you test "All Uniforms" without any other mods. I can only guess at what the problem might possibly be if there is another large modification involved. And Komik's is a relatively large mod.

@ Lt. I haven't touched the hiring screen interface. Are you using any other mods?

(to be continued)

~Blunter~

Well, I removed the Random Storm mod now from my save I have to see what it does tomorrow, I assume that everything will be back in order again (if I can load the save that is). I guess I just have to do the normal random encounters then in the meantime. There is only one other mod I use and thats the "Ammo and Weapon name fixes" that corrects the names and gives the correct ammo to the correct weapons, I doubt that it creates a lot of problems because it does not replace anything or adds anything new.

Well, I removed the Random Storm mod now from my save I have to see what it does tomorrow, I assume that everything will be back in order again (if I can load the save that is). I guess I just have to do the normal random encounters then in the meantime. There is only one other mod I use and thats the "Ammo and Weapon name fixes" that corrects the names and gives the correct ammo to the correct weapons, I doubt that it creates a lot of problems because it does not replace anything or adds anything new.

Hopefully it doesn't. But from my own experience I can tell you that the changes the modders claim in the ReadMe files are not always the only changes they made in the database. Sometimes it is inevitable to make a mistake and then try to correct it by changing something else. Messing around with various things along the way is part of the fun when working with the S^3 Editor.

That's actually one of the reasons why I do all the testing in test mods (drafts). Only when I am happy with the results I import those changes in the clean version.

Another common mistake with this particular editor is to change the existing entries instead of creating new ones for every little change you make. The former tends to lead to a lot of problems down the road.

(to be continued)

~Blunter~

Hi

My first post here, also my first time messing with mods for S2/S3 and I was hoping you guys could help for I am surely doing something wrong...

Following the readme, I extracted this mod to S3's main directory, after that I used S3AddMod to activate this mod on my current save, the problem is...I couldn't find any new outfits or the binoculars in the arms dealer.

Also tried to extract the mod to the 'mods' folder, still had the same problem.

Using:

- Win7

- Silent Storm Sentnels (Gold Edition?)

A big thank you in advance.

Hi

My first post here, also my first time messing with mods for S2/S3 and I was hoping you guys could help for I am surely doing something wrong...

Following the readme, I extracted this mod to S3's main directory, after that I used S3AddMod to activate this mod on my current save, the problem is...I couldn't find any new outfits or the binoculars in the arms dealer.

Also tried to extract the mod to the 'mods' folder, still had the same problem.

Using:

- Win7

- Silent Storm Sentnels (Gold Edition?)

A big thank you in advance.

Hello Darigaz,

I have S^3 Sentinels "Gold Edition" (GoG version on 3 CDs) as well and didn't have any problems hooking up the mod and running it on my Win7 machine. What other mods are you using, btw? Have you tried activating it without them?

(to be continued)

~Blunter~

Well, it's working so far, not running any other mods (not that I have any). Ran through the first two missions, everything seems to be in order.

Couldn't really test any of the uniforms yet (they all seem to be available for purchase, though), the seller at the base prices them really high. Probably need to rob a bank to get enough money.

Well, it's working so far, not running any other mods (not that I have any). Ran through the first two missions, everything seems to be in order.

Couldn't really test any of the uniforms yet (they all seem to be available for purchase, though), the seller at the base prices them really high. Probably need to rob a bank to get enough money.

Do you think I need to readjust the prices for the next version?

Open console: PlayerGiveMoney(0,99999999)

That'll cover your fashion expenses smile.png

Well, that's also a way, I guess. wink.png

I am working on the zombie Castle template. The overall building plan is already complete. Will post soon for further collaboration.

(to be continued)

~Blunter~

Well, the prices are an actual problem, at least in the context of the games setting. The weapons dealer says he sells the stuff for "Post war prices" and that would mean the stuff should be dirt cheap. Why? Because The Allies and Axis produced millions of weapons during the war, meaning that after the war they practically gave them away for free to arm nations like France, Greece, Poland etc. I recall reading that a Thompson M1 was produced for like 15 dollars each while the M3 Grease Gun was only like 1o dollars and a STEN was like 5 bucks. I am not sure how much they would have sold on the black market but just pointing that out.

So yeah some of the more generic uniforms need a price reduction. And while we are speaking about uniforms: we need more female uniform variants of the male ones. We do not have a big selection of uniforms for the ladies.

Lt.Havoc:

I wouldn't torture yourself too much about prices. I've been playing Silent Storm since the first demo came out. I lost patience a long time ago for buying things, so I just use getitem codes to take what I want.

I think S3's money system is messed up anyway. So is character XP progression, so I just keep all my characters at Level 1 (but use a script to take perks). I just use console codes to work around the game's issues.

I guess some people would consider this cheating, but since I primarily use the console to make the game harder, I don't care.

I think the prices should be toned down a bit. Having a uniform with no special properties cost more than a rifle or machine gun seems a bit odd to me. The armored ones should probably stay expensive, though.

In regards to female uniforms, I'd like to see a female version of the "Die Wolfe" Senior Officer outfit, if possible.

Open console: PlayerGiveMoney(0,99999999)

That'll cover your fashion expenses smile.png

Thanks, but I was planning on robbing the bank anyway.

Hi, I registered on this site to participate in this thread. I saw the new uniforms and I must say, that are well done. I also read that you also want to make new uniforms for the Allies, who in my opinion, the original uniforms are horrible. I would like to propose some ideas for new uniforms, unfortunately, there are few of ideas, and are not very good at drawing but I'm exercising, what I can offer are kind of concept art taken from some other video games. I also read that you are creating a new campaign for Sentinels, I read also the subject of Lt. Havoc, I find it interesting.

Hi, I registered on this site to participate in this thread. I saw the new uniforms and I must say, that are well done. I also read that you also want to make new uniforms for the Allies, who in my opinion, the original uniforms are horrible. I would like to propose some ideas for new uniforms, unfortunately, there are few of ideas, and are not very good at drawing but I'm exercising, what I can offer are kind of concept art taken from some other video games. I also read that you are creating a new campaign for Sentinels, I read also the subject of Lt. Havoc, I find it interesting.

Thank you and welcome to the thread, Mr. Shadow.

I agree the Allied uniforms could be impoved. Which ones were you thinking about specifically?

I am working on the zombie encounter right now and will get back to making new uniforms after that.

@Lt. Which models do you think I should use for the female uniforms. I could use Female Sentinel ones again, I guess (I am already planning to use it for the Nazi babe you posted with the Splittermuster 43 you shared with me). I remember someone proposed the Allied Scout female model...

@Ecthel. DW female officer? Which model would fit the image you have in mind?

Building custom encounters takes a bit longer. Please, be patient. wink.png

I am pulling a lot of resources from my previous unbublished works. It is a lot of material to sort through and import.

P.S. I changed the database values to 1700000. The next version of "All Uniforms" should not conflict with "Random Storm". The offending entries were found and deleted with extreme prejudice.

(to be continued)

~Blunter~