UFO Extender

Tycho

Version 1.34

1.34beta4 is now the finished version.

Read the INI descriptions and Difficulty Settings before upgrading or starting new games.

Click here for the latest release.

All versions of the Extender available at Ufopaedia.org: https://ufopaedia.org...tle=UFOextender

Extender and Anti-Virus Programs

The Extender replaces parts of the game's code in memory. As a result, anti-virus programs may report the Extender as a trojan or malicious software. Some people have reported this happening after upgrading their AV software even though it worked fine before. The Extender is safe as long as you download it from this site or from UFOpaedia.org. In any case, it is advised that you exclude it from being scanned or add it to the "safe" list in your AV settings.

Chrome and other browsers may tell you that UFOloader.zip on ufopaedia.org is malware. This is FALSE: It seems that any file on an open site that does not contain a digital signature from a recognized authority is automatically being flagged and labeled as dangerous despite the contents of said file. For this reason, if you click on UFOloader.zip on ufopaedia.org, what you will get is a zip containing a file of a single byte of 00. All previous releases are available from the archive list at the bottom of the page. You can get the latest version on this site by following the above link.

Note: This post is updated regularly with information on the latest versions of the Extender but subsequent posts are in chronological order, so only newer posts will relate to the current version.

last edited: 2016-03-23 16:33 JST

Hi,

I got a question regarding this mod: Does it work in combination with the "Combo X-COM Game Folder Patch" ?

Secondly I downloaded the original UFO Extender created by Seb76 and referenced at ufopaedia.org. Is this a follow-up to that mod ? Can I overwrite the mod with your changes and fixes ?

Thanks and Regards,

Michael

The Extender is still based on the one that Seb originally released. I started to just update a few of the fixes. Eventually, I began adding new content as my understanding of the code increased.

The Combo Game Folder Patch just fixes a lot of the errors in the various map file, if I believe. There won't be any problems with that since the Extender only modifies the game code and not data sets (except in a few vary rare cases, and there is the option to exclude them in the INI).

Edited by Tycho

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there!

Extender (ufo loader) makes this ufo defense ce almost perfect thank you for this...but but but... is there any way to disable new additions:

New Additions:

• Ablative Armor: no changes to the rules for AP weapons but armor is more effective against Explosive, Laser, and Plasma damage although these attacks quickly eat away at the armor rating.
  • Alt Weapon Loadouts: Reduces the clips and ammo that aliens carry.
  • Weak Sectoids: Sectoids will only carry plasma pistols or rifles and only engineers will carry blaster launchers.
  • EU2012 Items Rules: Alien weapons have a high probability to self-destruct if their owner dies, aliens that die in explosions will have all their items destroyed, fire is highly destructive to high-tech items. Units that panic will not drop items they are holding.
  • Zombies Will Hatch: Zombies will automatically become Chryssalids after a set number of turns. The resulting 'mature' Chryssalid will have stats adjusted by the difficulty of the game. A zombie killed by non-fire damage will hatch but the Chryssalid will be 'immature'. Fire is still the only means to keep a zombie from becoming a Chryssalid and fire damage retards their maturation.

I think i'm going insane (really) because i can't find perfect version of ufoeu, dos version sux cause of difficulty bug and sometimes xcomutil wont do anything about that and there are some "wow-additions" too.

How hard is fix only bugs and keep the game as original without integrate new stuff (without add option to enable/ disable addons, -like in ini

"Zombies Will Hatch=1 or "Zombies WIll Hatch=0"

example) to this masterpeace of game.

I mean it is fun and cool test some addons and new material but i want to play and finish this game first on Superhuman difficulty without any those listed new additions.

i'll quess i am not only one who ask this or i am?

Yes. There is an INI. Except for bug fixes and a few video and non-game impacting mods, most of the options are disabled by default. Check out the link in my signature to the Extender wiki. That should explain a lot more.

Yes. There is an INI. Except for bug fixes and a few video and non-game impacting mods, most of the options are disabled by default. Check out the link in my signature to the Extender wiki. That should explain a lot more.

Thank you for fast answer and i am familiar with that UFOExtender.ini ( i think) and now original midi music works and that HQ4x is so so AWESOME!

is this mods-section right now if i want to disable all mods?

(except i want maybe that "more smoke" mod enabled if there are not overloading problems)

-default UFOExtender.ini missing some so i added all what i find from your site.

and here is my mod section from UFOExtender.ini=

----------------------------------------

[Mod]

Know thy Enemy=0

Ablative Armor=0

Alt Weapon Loadouts=0

Weak Sectoids=0

EU2012 Items Rules=0

Zombies Will Hatch=0

Alien Inventory=0

Alien Bleeding=0

More Reaction Fire=0

Hot Grenades=0

Stunned units KIA=0

No Blaster Bomb Drift=0

More Smoke=0

Heavy Laser=0

Stun Fest=0

No Auto Wake Up=0

No Alien Freak Out Messages=0

Auto Sell=0

Start With All Missiles=0

Assign All Personnel=0

General Store Capacity=0

Rank In Inventory=0

Show Money=0

Base Building Stacking=0

Fast Base Defenses=0

Doubleclick Movement=0

TFTD Doors=0

Reorder Soldiers In Crafts=0

De-equip Crafts=0

Save Reserve Mode=0

Keep Base Navigation Modules=0

Enhanced Chryssalid EFX=0

UFO Responds to Interception=0

Difficulty Level of Interceptions=0

Manual Interception Fire Mode=0

True Cautious Mode=0

Crafts Always Ready=0

Retaliate Against Ground Assault=0

No Funkers=0

Bloodthirst=0

Disable Base Defenses=0

Surrender Defence Missions=0

Initial Alien Bases=0

Funding Council Income Only=0

Limited Military=0

----------------------------------------------------------

if this works now you are my Commander sir (and seb too) wink.png

Yes that will disable all the mods. Strange, if your using 1.30 of the Extender, the INI should have all mods listed.

Also check out the UFO extender INI readme.txt for a list of all the bug fixes. There are probably one or two that you will want to disable:

Large Unit MC Fix

Large Unit Explosion Fix

No Freebies for Tanks

thank you for the bug fix info Tycho, i was using 1.30, loaded from https://www.ufopaedia...e:UFOLoader.zip and default ufo extender INI contains only these mods and look like this: (i paste it here cause of if someone want to upgrade that default ini, i just want to inform that and help ufoeu community)

[Mod]

Alien Inventory=0

Alien Bleeding=0

More Reaction Fire=0

Hot Grenades=0

Stunned units KIA=0

No Blaster Bomb Drift=0

More Smoke=0

Heavy Laser=0

Stun Fest=0

No Auto Wake Up=0

No Alien Freak Out Messages=0

Auto Sell=0

Start With All Missiles=0

Assign All Personnel=0

General Store Capacity=0

Rank In Inventory=0

Show Money=0

Base Building Stacking=0

Fast Base Defenses=0

UFO Responds to Interception=0

Difficulty Level of Interceptions=0

Manual Interception Fire Mode=0

True Cautious Mode=0

Crafts Always Ready=0

Retaliate Against Ground Assault=0

No Funkers=0

Bloodthirst=0

Disable Base Defenses=0

Surrender Defence Missions=0

Initial Alien Bases=0

Funding Council Income Only=0

Limited Military=0

I test it with 2 difficulties veteran and superhuman after 3 different games 4-5 months= no blaster launcers in game...

(clean install with moks UFO_Defense_geotickfix_v2.zip i was using that exe because ufos not coming only few ufos with extender INI clock-fix and all mods off and without bug fixes what tycho mention earlier )

And after that i was testing ( i have two ufo install folders testing purposes only) for hoping some route fixes with The Combo Game Folder Patch and this happens=sectoids drop their mind probes and sometimes their weapons without any messages like a = "sectoid soldier panicked"

just reporting what happens to me :/

maybe it is time to giveup and play new games smile.png

If your playing with version 1.3, there should be no problems with UFO missions being started. The problem with unpatched version 1.29 was that the routine to update ufo missions was being skipped. The 1.29 patch and thus 1.30 have it fixed.

I've been testing all the new stuff that went into 1.30 and UFOs appear in the usual manner.

Also in 1.30 you can choose the option to have the geoscape clock behave exactly like Mok's time patch.

If you don't have "weak sectoids" mod applied, there is not other code that affects how aliens are assigned weapons. According to the alien weapon loadout chart https://www.ufopaedia...Weapon_Loadouts, blaster launchers appear in the late game and only if you are attacking a battleship or base (or your base is being attacked, since that is a battleship attacking).

Do you see the aliens drop their weapons or do you see aliens that do not have items in their hands?

I don't know the revelant code in the DOS game but in CE, an alien must be visible for the player to recieve the panic messages. I suspect the DOS game did not have this rule so players got the panic messages quite often. This is not any change made by the extender, this is part of the original CE code.

Edited by Tycho

• 2 weeks later...

I've been playing around with certain ideas and think feedback from those who might be interested would help:

* Research on key alien technologies require more input from appropriate alien race/ranks: after scientists research an artifact, they need to "consult" with an engineer (or a specific race engineer) to unlock the final elements which allows production and the next level of research.

* Tweak the score system of terror missions to prevent the land/immediate dustoff exploit to reduce the penalty: Base negative score for the event occuring at all with a higher bonus for each civilian saved.

* Tweak the AI decision process to make aliens give a higher priority to attacking XCOM agents than civilians.

* Tweaked Alien Ai parameters to make aliens use grenade a little more when appropriate.

* Reduce the utility of scientists/engineers: Currently when assign them to a project, each member provides 100% utility 24/7, which is not humanly possible. It would be more realistic to have two people working 12 hours shifts (in a simplified concept).

Just a few idea that I think might be possible after looking at the code. Is there any interest in these types of mods?

* Tweak the AI decision process to make aliens give a higher priority to attacking XCOM agents than civilians.

* Tweaked Alien Ai parameters to make aliens use grenade a little more when appropriate.

Hi,

these are the only changes I would be looking forward too. Too much overhead/restrictions for engineers and scientist distracts to much from the core elements imo.

Cheers,

Michaeol

• 2 weeks later...
* Research on key alien technologies require more input from appropriate alien race/ranks: after scientists research an artifact, they need to "consult" with an engineer (or a specific race engineer) to unlock the final elements which allows production and the next level of research.

Good idea. Make research more interesting.

Yes good one! Also aliens could be using a stun blaster on XCOM soldiers.

Extra feature: probably cannot be done, but soldiers stunned by aliens should be "dragged away" / taken somehow. Either put a small ship on Terror Map and the aliens heap all bodies in there during their TURN. When a soldier stumbles upon this ship there is to be found all disappeared mates and civilians.

* Reduce the utility of scientists/engineers: Currently when assign them to a project, each member provides 100% utility 24/7, which is not humanly possible. It would be more realistic to have two people working 12 hours shifts (in a simplified concept).

Another nice and fun idea! Also maybe put a text on research screen: RESTING 12 scientists WORKING 33 scientists (same with engineers) so this code is automatic(ON/OFF switchable in UFOExtender.ini)

Also during XCOM-Base Assault scientists and engineers should be put into a science-(rest)room / engineering (rest)room and soldiers could protect them.

Additional ideas:

Energy blob alien:

This is a UFO battle drone in energy form. (Sphere shaped animated sprites are easiest to add). Glowing energy sphere - looking like a ghost-blob swamp gas style light - it could have a lightning attack like ball-lightning or touching our soldiers with the effect of setting the soldier on fire then making the soldier sprite blink a few times and during this recolor the soldier sprite to black then make him/her collapse. Basically Fallout 1 UFO Hand-Gun electrify-disintegrate into black dust effect.

The bass.dll is an exceptional job! Very nice sounds and PS2 MP3 music!!

I disagree with this one:

That would make sense if progress were tracked more accurately and/or they were actually individuls with varying skill levels (as in Apoc).

But with manufacturing only actually happening once per hour, and research only once per DAY; and the scientists and engineers being represented by their quantity, rather than as separate persons; I think it's save to assume we're dealing with an averaged value already.

So they are "really" working, say, 8 hours per day with 30 minutes lunch and 3 smoking breaks of 5 minutes each, but that's abstracted away and we only have the average output of the number of people assigned to the project.

Man, I love this thing, but in 1.30 I cannot get the hotkeys in battlescape to work. If I use the earlier version of it, the hotkeys still work. I tried what that other guy said, loading an old game and starting a new one but I just can't get them to work. Geoscape hotkeys work fine...

But seriously, minus that one issue I am so in love with this thing. It's brought so much life back into the game for me, just playing around with it to see how it changes the game mechanics. Know thy enemy RULES. If theres any way I can get the hotkeys to work in battlescape, I would really appreciate the help. Thanks for all the hard work to everyone involved!

Edit: Didn't even see these...

I like these kinds of tweaks. Like the new item rules, know thy enemy, bloodthirst. It makes the game interesting again.

* Tweak the score system of terror missions to prevent the land/immediate dustoff exploit to reduce the penalty: Base negative score for the event occuring at all with a higher bonus for each civilian saved.

I am ALL ABOUT THESE.

How would you tweak it? Not that I love it as it is now, just curious.

* Reduce the utility of scientists/engineers: Currently when assign them to a project, each member provides 100% utility 24/7, which is not humanly possible. It would be more realistic to have two people working 12 hours shifts (in a simplified concept)

These are the ones I like. Tweaks on the actual strategy mechanics of the game... I say throw them all in the next release and let people test them out. I like how I can just flip them on and off. Thanks again!

v1.30 is so hard in superhuman that my soldiers are bullied and kicked around by the aliens. Ironman is impossible, because after losing two battles the game ends. Also losing two skyrangers in a row in "Ironman" with full commando crew essentially ends the game.

Randomness is very good in this version, different scenarios play out on reloading the game. Happenings do really feel genuine.

There is precious gameplay value with this super-hardness. It feels like real life chances against superior opponents. Only XCOM provides a Load Game.

What I would like to see: a more dark XCOM game in 3D

A NEW XCOM IMPLEMENTATION with UNITY 3D:

- Gory animations from Fallout 1. and 2.

- Superhuman or near difficulty for hardcore veterans

- Absolutely frightening Night Missions and excellent mood / coloring created by pro Art Direction: serious Crap-filter is required here only the best concepts are accepted, no compromises!

- Feeling of being total abandoned in all areas: my XCOM is the only force and is almost hopelessly weak at the beginning.

- Probably emphasize alien massacres & destruction at Terror Sites where XCOM was beaten and had to fled from

- Sigh of relief if the aliens leave XCOM alone for a week so soldiers can regenerate at the base and some research can be done.

- Government Support Warehouses are being Raided by Aliens, important leaders kidnapped and eaten.

- Aliens hijacking satellite feeds and showing human prisoners-camps being "overrun" by Chryssalids and new berserker (mindless) monster units are set free in these death-camps mincing up people shown live on TV then signal is lost.

- Aliens beginning terraforming Earth if multiple missions are lost at a given area becoming "sector lost".

- Any land areas lost can be won back by super-hard fighting

- New animations focusing on visceral battle: lot of death and attack animations with awesome sound effects so battles remain interesting.

- MOD tools: best maps make their way into the game and can be played in the official version

- New ways of battle in the skies: old UFO DEFENSE serving as a basis and trying to enhance that in a way that makes it cooler and better looking, more dramatic, more exiting.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been playing around with certain ideas and think feedback from those who might be interested would help:

Just a few idea that I think might be possible after looking at the code. Is there any interest in these types of mods?

I personally love the idea of the new research difficulty. It would require you actually using a Mind Probe to source Engineers to capture.. That would be brilliant. Anything to make the game harder!

The realistic utilizing of scientists/engineers would also be great. Basically these are great ideas. And I see no problem in making them and adding to the next versions, those that don't like the idea can simply not choose to select that option. Simple!