New S^3 Mod "All Uniforms" in development (feedback is welcome)

BlunterII

looking good. Silent storm is one of my favourite games. Reading this now I have to go find my copy and start playing yet again.

Is the game hard to mod? No I am not a modder, its just I cant understand why the game engine was not used for say an xcom or jagged alliance type game.

Reading the steam forums I see its on "greenlight" for release by nordic games. I read they plan on releasing it with editor if they get voted onto steam.

Ok got your uniform mod and now to go find game.

Thanks.

Thank you folks for sticking with me.

I read all the posts - but don't always respond to them right away.

@ Lt.

Nice direction you are taking this in. Let's develop that a bit more. No PKs is a bit too radical, perhaps. I agree we'll need to weaken them. The idea that conventinal weapons suddenly become irrelevant is what I primarily don't like about PKs. If RPK, MG-34 or AK47 (7.62x54) can deal damage to them I am fine with having a few of them here and there (pistol/smg rounds should stay ineffective, of course).

Heavily armored German troopers - I think I am going to like this...

I will see what I can come up with for the armored guys. There are a few "armored" Hammer troopers already - I'll need to apply the steel plates to their armor body textures. Not sure about the shoulder plates. We'll see. Give me a couple of days.

The "Amoeba" samples are ready (and some other ones you posted). Take a look:

AmoebaCamo_Fem_1.png

and these (MG soldier was used for the "Amoeba" pattern):

AmoebaCamo_Male_TankCrew_RU_Off_1.png

Got a bit distracted by all the Soviet insignia I've accumulated over the years only to realize that they (Nival) didn't include any shoulder side spots. Oh well, just the shoulder boards will do for now I guess.

Btw, sci-fi and futuristic is pretty much the same to me. However if we assume that all these things are historical but for some reason never made it into history books (because someone wiped those guys out) - then I can definitely live with that. We can go with all kinds of monstrosities and abominations (as long as we find fitting models).

The Zombie head was in the original but wasn't used until Hammer & Sickle where Novik & Co. utilized it for some German gang leader (Zigmund) a former tank crew member who supposedly got burned up in one of the tank battles with the Soviets at Lake Balaton.

The regular trooper looks good - any idea on the models to try that with?

Yes, new models would be great... but I believe we can manage without them (at least for now).

Weird war, luft46 and forgotten weapons - are interesting. The modern pictures passed for old historical ones gave me a laugh.

If I missed some other suggestions you made please remind me about them and I'll see what I can do.

@Ecthel013

Your plot ideas are very good. Especially I agree with the notion that the TH and Sentinels are most likely supported (openly or not) by one or more of the world powers. Makes perfect sense to me.

Well' date=' I will wait till version 2, because I want to see the new camo uniforms in action. I know that V 2 will take a little while but I can wait.[/quote']

I'll be finishing this up (unless you have some other uniform ideas), releasing V 2.0 and starting a new scenario thread.

(to be continued)

~Blunter~

Well, lets talk about the Panzerkleins here for a moment, I wanted to elaborate on them more anyway. The idea of them replacing conventional combat is kind of an interesting point. Game wise you are right, once you have them you are basically walking around, killing everything in your view while most regular weapons wont do anything to do. The game explains how they are made of some sort of special metal alloy that can be found in the Ural, while some other tech originates from Tibet and it can only be speculated if its not of alien origin (which explains the laser weapons).

I can see why people hate them, they seem like a anachronism in the game and turns the whole balance upside down. I think Nivial dropped the ball in that department, they did not delve into the whole "Alternative History" aspect by providing a rich background about how and why there is THO and where all the stuff comes from and why only THO has them. The background story idea that we talked about one page ago at least would explain the "points of divergence".

Anyway, back to the PKs: realistically speaking, they would not end conventional warfare like we know it, because these things are slow, have blind spots and would be very vulnerable to Heavy Machineguns, anti tank rifles, anti tank/heavy grenades as well as Bazookas and similar weapons. Not to mention that there are still tanks in use that with guns up to 90mm would blow away such a thing in an instant.

The role of the PK would be in the follow fields: Infantry support, fighting in urban terrain and as heavy assault units when the terrain permits it. In these, the PKs would shine because of their mobility, armor and weapons. The downside of all of this is the logistics, these things need ammo, spare parts and so on and so forth. I think that they would become their own specialized combat arm with support units and everything.

The would be basically treated like armored vehicles in a way.

Also one thing is to note: the best PKs where those of THO, the ones that where red in color and also had lasers. The Allies and Axis never had those to begin with and were also weaker. Just keep that in mind. So it seems that they never sold the really good ones to either of the side of the war and kept the best stuff for themselves. We could simply say that after the player blew up the Factory in Siberia, THO could no longer produce them or had to produce their own versions of weaker material.

If RPK, MG-34 or AK47 (7.62x54) can deal damage to them I am fine with having a few of them here and there (pistol/smg rounds should stay ineffective, of course).

Sorry to correct you here but S2/S3 has the RPD in the game and just as the AK it uses 7,62x39mm, a much smaller round. These would not be able to penetrate armor like that. It would go through body armor but not through armored steel. However I suggest weapons of the following calibers to do that:

.30-06

8mm Mauser

7,62x54R (they already could do that, but it is beyond me why not any of the other large caliber weapons)

.303 British

Maybe the 7,5mm MAS

as well as heavy grenades, anti-tank grenades and of course Rocket launchers like the Bazooka, Panzerschreck etc.Should be a no brainer seeing that they are primarily used against tanks.

Another idea would be to add Anti-Tank rifles into the game, but for that we would need new rifle models and stuff. Its odd, PTRS, Boys AT and such are all in game, but as PK weapons only, even if these existed as perfectly normal rifles as well. Figures.

Anyway, another thing that would make sense story wise is also, that the Allies and Axis started producing their own version of the PKs that where and are of course inferior to the other models and have different designs/looks suited for their use by the Nations who produced them, like for example the Soviets having a version that is geared towards heavy assaults, while the USA use them for infantry support etc. These would not show up inagme (at least not if we dont get a modeler) simply for the fact that these new designs are all government property and dont get exported. So if anything the player has to make use of the older Axis and Allies models and maybe the few THO versions that still exist.

We could also simply make many of the missions like the Russian Factory mission in S2 and have the player barren from using them most of the time because it would raise too much suspicion.

Btw, sci-fi and futuristic is pretty much the same to me. However if we assume that all these things are historical but for some reason never made it into history books (because someone wiped those guys out) - then I can definitely live with that. We can go with all kinds of monstrosities and abominations (as long as we find fitting models).

I am a bit confused about what you say about History Books. The setting is a Alternative History one, meaning that stuff went differently from what we experienced. The only really sci-fi aspect are the laser PKs and the laser weapons from the game, most other stuff I suggested is based on actual plans and prototypes that never made it beyond the blueprints or where actually build but came to late/where to few/or never used.

All this would be actual history for this alternate world, it would be in the history books there, expect maybe THO and their ilk, because this stuff was kept secret on purpose. Die Wölfe could also been kept secret as well as whatever experiments where conducted to create zombies or so. Maybe some of the stuff got simply lost in the war, that happens.

It is interesting you mention Wolfenstein, because that game had stuff like Tesla and Particle weapons in it, a Black Sun dimension with some sort of Lovecraftian Horrors and Nazi soldiers in power suits fighting you. This stuff was even more crazy then what we are talking about.

Speaking of Lovecraftian horrors: that would be wroth an idea as well, if its not too insane for you. There is actually a Tabletop RPg that is called "Achtung! Chuthullu" where the Nazis try to awaken the Elder Gods or something. Just as a side note.

I really hope that my idea of an accelerated technological development resulting in what where blueprints and prototypes actually making it to the front are not too radical for you. So please share your concerns with me in this, because in the end, its just a background setting and what will have little impact on the gameplay, or does it really rustle your jimmies if a german town was bombed by a B-17 or a XB-35 Bomber?

Anyway back to business as usual.

The "Amoeba" samples are ready (and some other ones you posted). Take a look:

Fantastic job as always, same with the other russians. If you want you could try the Russian TTsMKK pattern that I gave you next on the same models you put the Amoba camo on, it should work. I think we can then conclude the Russian uniforms.

The regular trooper looks good - any idea on the models to try that with?

My best bet for the Wolf Trooper would be the model of the German Spy in camo uniform from S2, plus the cap of either the desert gunner or the regular german soldier.

https://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/LtHavoc/OriginalNPCUniforms_01_zpsc6b51f35.png

There marked him for you. Try Splittertarn as a camo choice, it was in the german camo pack I gave you. It should work hopefully on him. If not we have to see if we can find some other camo instead or opt for something more "fictional" like in the drawing. Should that model not work, then let me know.

Also yes there is one more suggestion I wanted to do that sprung up on me today. Would it be possible, to use the Desert Gunner uniform, give him a Greatcoat/Trench coat style texturing like the US Soldiers wore in Winter (see page 3 or use this image for reference)

https://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/LtHavoc/Alternate%20WWII/Allies/6451095035_acb3f2852b_o_zps50677a11.jpg

Give that model the US helmet from the US Army Soldier NPC and to top it all off, a gas mask. I hope that Okim can provide his gas mask model for that, then that would be amazing. Thats just an idea of course. Let me know what you think about that. The idea is to make them look like this:

https://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/LtHavoc/Alternate%20WWII/Allies/US_Winter_46_zpsdbbfec7d.jpg

Also what about some sort of GI Hero type clothing, like this:

https://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/LtHavoc/Alternate%20WWII/Allies/AME001_lg_zps5d6ef582.jpg

Would that be possible without new models? If not its okay. Well these are the only ideas for uniforms I have at the moment. Keep up the good work.

Man this post got long winded, hope anyone even reads all that stuff that I have been blupring about. XD

Okay, the heavily armored trooper is ready. I don't know if I need to add shin guards or not. Check them out:

HeavilyArmoredTroopers1.png

Caution: They are very, very mean!

Good points, Lt. I do read your posts in their entirety. Whether short or long :)

Just a note here. My perspective about "history" as applied to our plot is that I am more intrigued by a scenario where the player deals with events that appear to happen in real historical world, within real historical timeline. Fictional elements of fantastic propotions are fine as long as they fit into that timeline and are explained properly.

Ex.: THO was destroyed in the North sea - the newspaper at the end reports that the explosion was actually a volcano erupting - nice. That's all I need.

We know what "really happened" but it also fits into the known history - nothing like that apparently occurred. Perfect.

Secret bomber - fine, zombies - fine, even ocasional tesla gun or PK - fine... we just need to clean it up at the end. Destroy all the evidence or contain all the evidence for further study and research - hence nothing is mentioned in our history books because as far as the general public and press are concerned - none of those things ever happened, thanks to the Player's efforts. Do you see my point now?

It is more about my comfort level than anything else. I would like to stay interested... And for that I'd like to avoid contantly struggling with my "suspension of disbelief". When I play Bethesda's or Bioware's titles I play a fantasy game - no problem. I can easily immerse in it. I don't see S^2 and its sequels in the same light.

After all it's a big undertaking - to create a believable world to mess around with. I have no idea how all these accelerated research will fit into the story. Hopefully we'll come up with an explanation for why it's never been heard of.

The same with Wolfenstein - as long as we take care of the loose ends - I've no problem with crazy experiments and horrifying abominations.

Occult is a little different so long as the fantasy (gods, spirits, etc.) is involved. I am not so sure about it. It is an interesting topic though.

Now, I am not discarding your ideas; just expressing my concerns on the subject.

I'll address the rest a bit later. I want to finish a couple more uniforms first.

(to be continued)

~Blunter~

Hey well done armor trooper, I like it.

Well let me address some of your points.

Just a note here. My perspective about "history" as applied to our plot is that I am more intrigued by a scenario where the player deals with events that appear to happen in real historical world, within real historical timeline. Fictional elements of fantastic propotions are fine as long as they fit into that timeline and are explained properly.

The problem here is, that if we REALLY go by the story that I wrote up about Germany being ruled by a totally different Government and the Nazis never taking power, then your argument here falls apart, then we know what really happened in our timeline and the events of how and why the Nazis took power etc. This point alone means that we would have to scrap the idea I purposed to you, because for this to work, we need to have a totally different setting and premise, meaning that certain things did not happen as they actually did.

I am more comfortable to set the mod into a Alternative History setting because it allows us greater freedom to do what we want to do. We are not obliged to limit ourselves to the facts and what really happened, we can create new events, new storylines, new characters, new technology etc. I also think that the player would be perfectly fine and willing to suspend his disbelieve as long as we can make it a solid scenario and base the events and tech on stuff that actually existed or was in development, like for example, the german Arado Bomber or the Horton Single Wing Aircraft, the British EM1 and EM2 rifle projects or the USA with their super Pershing or T-28 Heavy Tank.

Ex.: THO was destroyed in the North sea - the newspaper at the end reports that the explosion was actually a volcano erupting - nice. That's all I need.

Well yes, the thing just is that the British Goverment or better the Allies know about that event and what really happened, not to mention that in our timeline such a thing never occurred, there was never such a report. This is another event that fits more into a Alternate History event. My problem here also would be that non of the ex-SOE officers talked about that event? They kept it all secret for over 60 years despite the fact there are tons of documents about it?

Not to mention that the Allies and Axis both had PKs and blueprints of them as well as THO laser weapon and rocket technology. Something like that would be exploited by the West and East after the war and would create new sorts of technology. See how rocket and missile technology was accelerated after the Soviets captured all the technicians of Wehrner von Braun and how he himself influenced the rocket tech in the USA.

Jet fighters and bombers the same story. It is well know that a lot of blueprints and such where used in the research on both sides of the cold war. Now imaging if they had Infantry Armor and such at hand, they would not waste that tech and try to keep it secret, fuck no, they would put their best researchers on it to build more and better suits and use them for propaganda.

As you can see, it would simply not cut it to say "Yeah it was kept secret by the CIA and KGB for over 60 years and thats why its not in our history books"

It is more about my comfort level than anything else. I would like to stay interested... And for that I'd like to avoid contantly struggling with my "suspension of disbelief". When I play Bethesda's or Bioware's titles I play a fantasy game - no problem. I can easily immerse in it. I don't see S^2 and its sequels in the same light.

I can understand that, but maybe you are worrying to much about that. Lets have fun with this mod and its scenario. I think the problem here is that until the PKs show up, Silent Strom plays like a regular WWII turn based Strategy Game ala Commandos and you do not see or hear about the "rest of the world" so to speak. It then comes as a shock to learn about all those sci-fi elements in the game with the PKs, the orbital Laser and stuff like this.

Also, dont worry, I think I will manage to keep you interested in this project. I dont see a reason for you to feel uncomfortable with setting all this in its own "universe" with its own unique history.

I know a lot of people have said that once the PKs show up they stopped playing and that they where kinda irritated about this and how they fit in. I think Nival dropped the ball at this once again, they should have fleshed out the background story more and established the Alternative History it is set in a lot better, basically what I am trying with the whole background story we are discussing here.

After all it's a big undertaking - to create a believable world to mess around with. I have no idea how all these accelerated research will fit into the story. Hopefully we'll come up with an explanation for why it's never been heard of.

I think that what I purposed is believable, story wise.I know its not to everyones taste but it would give us a lot of freedom to operate and leeway with certain things and we also can avoid running into the issue of people saying "Thats not how it happened, its all wrong". As for the accelerated tech part: Remember Kochs Mansion in Silent Strom? Koch tries to escape with a thing that looks like a rocket with rotors on it. He even has a own silo for it.

That thing was the Fucke-Wullf Treibflügel: https://www.luft46.com/fw/fwtrieb.html

https://discaircraft....n.us/FOCKE1.htm

That thing was designed in 1944 and never build, but in the game, we can see it one year earlier and with German markings no less, its even in the game trailer and seen on official screenshots. So if Koch has such a thing at this point of the war, then it is very likely that we have technological acceleration in action. Okay you could say that it was the prototype and build by THO and no other things exited, but I just ask me how Koch kept that secret if his HQ had a lab and a hanger in the middle of germany.

These and other things throughout the game made it clear that it is an alternative history setting. As I said, we can make this all happen and believable and we are on the right track. Nothing what we discussed so far is overly fantastic or unrealistic that the player would starch his head at.

The same with Wolfenstein - as long as we take care of the loose ends - I've no problem with crazy experiments and horrifying abominations.

It is good you mentioned Wolfenstein because Wolfenstein is one of those games that makes it clear it is set in a Alternative History setting from the get go. In the game universe, it is canon and fact that BJ killed Hitler and it is actually part of the history there. It is mentioned in one of the games intros (I think it was one of the hand held games) and I do think there is either a follow up game or mod, not exactly sure, where people talk about the exploits of Blazkowicz and that he is a war hero.

Fuck, I even thing they directly mention that he was the man who killed Hitler. In that game all this works perfectly and no one is questioning that.

Occult is a little different so long as the fantasy (gods, spirits, etc.) is involved. I am not so sure about it. It is an interesting topic though.

Well if we talk about Lovecrafts monstrosities, then be assured that they are not supernatural. Everything he created in the cuhtullu Mythos are aliens and he went to great lengths to explain them. Yes cuthullu, The Elder Things, MiGo are all aliens. The cults around them can be said to be alien cults. It is actually very interesting stuff.

Now, I am not discarding your ideas; just expressing my concerns on the subject.

As I said, I do understand your concerns, but I think that you have no reasons to worry.

BTW: why not check out this DA group: https://weirdwwiigroup.deviantart.com/

That looks fantastic, thank you. Just a note, the gloves look a bit odd, can you fix that? I think black gloves work just fine.

Well, the part you took for a glove is actually part of that model - it partially covers the wrist, the black glove was already there. But we can change it to leather padding, like this. (Both German agent and German Scout class uniform share similar geometry, so I borrowed the padding from female scout uniform)

SplinterCamo1%2528redone%2529.png

and while I was at it I thought it would only be fair to create a splinter camo for female characters too.

SplinterCamo1%2528Fem%2529.png

(to be continued)

~Blunter~

Oh okay, I was not aware of that. Well, with the padding it looks really good. Great job. Also about the russian camo pattern, here they are again, from page 1:

https://i4.photobucke...ssianTTsMKK.png

This is the TTsMK pattern version 1.

https://i4.photobucke...sMKK65x32cm.png

Version 2

https://i4.photobucke...grey35x37cm.png

Thats a 1948 Leaf pattern version 1

https://i4.photobucke...haki35x37cm.png

Version 2

Not sure about the 1948 Leaf Pattern but I would at least like to see you try the 1944 TTsMK pattern, either variant is fine by me. Well I have to say this is coming along nicely. I dont have any more uniform requests at this point because we covered pretty much all the important ones I can think of. Still if you are looking for a certain texture or something that you want to see, then let me know.

By the way, I was wondering about Hammer and Sickle, does this game come with the same amount of guns as S2/S3 or does it has even less weapons? I am just wondering if there is anything new weapon wise in that game that could be imported over to S2/S3.

Oh okay, I was not aware of that. Well, with the padding it looks really good. Great job. Also about the russian camo pattern, here they are again, from page 1:

https://i4.photobucke...ssianTTsMKK.png

This is the TTsMK pattern version 1.

https://i4.photobucke...sMKK65x32cm.png

Version 2

https://i4.photobucke...grey35x37cm.png

Thats a 1948 Leaf pattern version 1

https://i4.photobucke...haki35x37cm.png

Version 2

Not sure about the 1948 Leaf Pattern but I would at least like to see you try the 1944 TTsMK pattern, either variant is fine by me. Well I have to say this is coming along nicely. I dont have any more uniform requests at this point because we covered pretty much all the important ones I can think of. Still if you are looking for a certain texture or something that you want to see, then let me know.

By the way, I was wondering about Hammer and Sickle, does this game come with the same amount of guns as S2/S3 or does it has even less weapons? I am just wondering if there is anything new weapon wise in that game that could be imported over to S2/S3.

Ah, yes the Soviet Camos. Thanks for reposting them. Tounushi's patterns are pretty decent I had to modify them a bit (the game doesn't like the bright stuff, everything needs to be toned down). Anyway, check them out and, please, tell me what you think.

Here is the TTs MKK tri-color camo:

TTsMKK1_.png

I'll probably need to find a better suiting uniform model (bottom center) when I start importing the textures and organizing the uniforms.

And the leaf pattern camo:

LeafPattern1.png

About H&S models. I assume you haven't played it. They added MAT 49, Stechkin, sawed-off (Enfield, MAS, 33/40), Uzi and a couple of some strange human models. (In general there is very little new content. Novik's programming is superb though.) To import something I'd need to have Maya. I don't have it.

Thank you for offering to help look for more textures.

Let me finish the Americans first (if I can, they are trouble I tell you) and then I wanted to do a few snow covered uniforms, a bio/radio protective suit (yellow rubber with a mask) and a few others.

Which model would qualify for a GI hero transformation? Civilians, maybe? :) Gotta start small, right?

The mask you mentioned fits only 2 hooded models German Scout and Elite soldier. It doesn't look good by itself (unless we are creating snork type of monsters from "S.T.A.L.K.E.R.")

About the scenario. We might have somewhat different approaches to history. I think most of the history is unknown or slanted (regarless of the amount of research done). Only bits and pieces are revealed and the vast majority of them are propaganda of some sort.

What can I say - I like conspiracies. It might play into your "alternative history" idea anyway. I don't think we are at odds here at all.

As for "could have been", "might have been" type of approach - I tend to lean towards determinism, meaning: no matter how many times you rewind history it will play out in absolutely the same way it already has (provided we don't change any conditions that existed at any moment in the past).

Anyway, I'd like to know what you are planning so that when we are finished here with all the uniforms we can start working on the plot, maps, factions, missions, loot, etc.

(to be continued)

~Blunter~

I have to say, these Soviet Uniforms look really good. Well done.

About H&S models. I assume you haven't played it. They added MAT 49, Stechkin, sawed-off (Enfield, MAS, 33/40), Uzi and a couple of some strange human models. (In general there is very little new content. Novik's programming is superb though.) To import something I'd need to have Maya. I don't have it.

No I did not play it, maybe I should. I was just wondering if there where any weapons in the game we could use.

So you dont have Maya? Hmm, maybe I need to look for that program as well. That also will mean more issues if Okim should come around and provide us with his Gas Mask models. You would need Maya to implement the model into the mod. Best would be you contact him yourself and ask him about that.

Which model would qualify for a GI hero transformation? Civilians, maybe? smile.png Gotta start small, right?
I thought to use the US Agent skin/model as the base for that.

Thank you for offering to help look for more textures.

Let me finish the Americans first (if I can, they are trouble I tell you) and then I wanted to do a few snow covered uniforms, a bio/radio protective suit (yellow rubber with a mask) and a few others.

No problem at all, I am always happy to help. Also a bio suit would be interesting indeed. I knew those Americans would be an issue, but I am confident that you can do it. Do you need any refernces regarding snow uniforms? I already have shown you American, Russian and German Winter Uniforms, but there where lots of variations as I already explained.

The mask you mentioned fits only 2 hooded models German Scout and Elite soldier. It doesn't look good by itself (unless we are creating snork type of monsters from "S.T.A.L.K.E.R.")

I see. Well at least you could put one on the Hooded models or something. I knew these would not work at any other model, that is why I asked Okim in the first place about his Gas Masks. He has yet not replied yet if he found it, so no idea.

About the scenario. We might have somewhat different approaches to history. I think most of the history is unknown or slanted (regarless of the amount of research done). Only bits and pieces are revealed and the vast majority of them are propaganda of some sort.

What can I say - I like conspiracies. It might play into your "alternative history" idea anyway. I don't think we are at odds here at all.

Well it is good to know we are not at odd. Yes the conspiracy thing could play into the alternate history, we will see.

As for "could have been", "might have been" type of approach - I tend to lean towards determinism, meaning: no matter how many times you rewind history it will play out in absolutely the same way it already has (provided we don't change any conditions that existed at any moment in the past).

Well, I am not a determinist, I thing that not everything can or will be determint, I think that there is much more chaos to our lifes and the universe then we can fathom. From all the years reading lots of books about military history, I found out that small, often seemingly irrelevant things can change the whole course of history, you know the Butterfly effect. I really like those thought plays of "what if?" because I find it facinating.

Anyway, I'd like to know what you are planning so that when we are finished here with all the uniforms we can start working on the plot, maps, factions, missions, loot, etc.

Well, so far I will continue work on what we talked about so far regarding the Alternative History Setting. The only thing we need to settle on is how complex we should make it or if we should leave some stuff in the dark seeing that Sentinels is set after WWII.

So yeah let me know. I will hopefully have a text file about the scenario ready soon.

I have to say, these Soviet Uniforms look really good. Well done.

Thanks. Although, now looking at them I think I could add a thing or too.

No I did not play it, maybe I should. I was just wondering if there where any weapons in the game we could use.

So you dont have Maya? Hmm, maybe I need to look for that program as well. That also will mean more issues if Okim should come around and provide us with his Gas Mask models. You would need Maya to implement the model into the mod. Best would be you contact him yourself and ask him about that.

He already contacted me a few days ago and offered the models. I'll need to figure out how to get Maya 4.0 - 6.0 to import them. Without it - it's a no go.

I thought to use the US Agent skin/model as the base for that.
All right, I'll see if I can fit it on that one.

No problem at all, I am always hapyp to help. Also a bio suit would be interesting indeed. I knew those Americans would be an issue, but I am confident that you can do it. Do you need any refernces regarding snow uniforms? I already have shown you American, Russian and German Winter Uniforms, but there where lots of variations as I already explained.
I think I have enough info for now, thank you, Lt. But if you come across anything interesting, please share.

Btw, here are the Americans. They took me a while but I think I got it. Let me know what you think:

US_GreatCoatTrooperNPCs1.png

I recolored the mask to match the brown great coat and added one of the red light flare textures instead of clear glass one.

Since I can't add a helmet and a mask together to a unifrom I guess this outfit will only be available to NPCs.

And the biohazard suit I mentioned before is ready now. Have a look:

BioHazardSuit.png

Very yellow and shiny!

Well, I am not a determinist, I thing that not everything can or will be determint, I think that there is much more chaos to our lifes and the universe then we can fathom. From all the years reading lots of books about military history, I found out that small, often seemingly irrelevant things can change the whole course of history, you know the Butterfly effect. I really like those thought plays of "what if?" because I find it facinating.

I hear you. Deterministic approach is often perceived as depressing or boring. Depending on one's perspective it could certainly be.

Well, so far I will continue work on what we talked about so far regarding the Alternative History Setting. The only thing we need to settle on is how complex we should make it or if we should leave some stuff in the dark seeing that Sentinels is set after WWII.

So yeah let me know. I will hopefully have a text file about the scenario ready soon.

Can you give me an example of the complexity you are talking about? But generally I like staying in the dark for a while. Knowing everything from the start gets boring fast (for me at least).

(to be continued)

~Blunter~

Great work on those US Soldiers, just too bad that they are NPC´s only. Well at least we have nice NPC models now for the mod. The Hazard suit looks very interesting, do you alredy have a use for it in mind? I am just wondering what we could use it for. One idea would be to have a mission set around some research lab and have the NPC guards wear them or something. At least it gives me some ideas. Also what do you want to add/change on the Soviet Camo Uniforms? Did you forget something?

Hmm, also thinking about it, I was wondering if we might need some more desert themed uniforms, like these here:

https://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/LtHavoc/Alternate%20WWII/Axis/6143145592_c48204b3cc_o_zps3706392b.jpg

Just an idea, I just thought they looked cool and all.

He already contacted me a few days ago and offered the models. I'll need to figure out how to get Maya 4.0 - 6.0 to import them. Without it - it's a no go.
Great to hear. I guess Okim is the only one here on the site that knows his way around the game and knows how to import the models so I guess you have to ask him for help in that regard once again. If he is too busy, I guess we have to find someone else to do it, but the folks I know use 3D Studio Max and Blender. The thing is, if you can figure out how to implement new models, then we could also get free stock models eaisly and put them in the mod if we so wish.

If it does not work out, we have to do it without the models then, thats fine, it just would have been nice to have em, thats all.

Can you give me an example of the complexity you are talking about? But generally I like staying in the dark for a while. Knowing everything from the start gets boring fast (for me at least).
I meant a complete timeline of events that went down and the points of divergence that made them into an Alternate Universe. I am rather good at setting up really big scenarios and establishing a whole "universe" like that. However, the problem is that this could simply too much info for the player and he gets overwehlmed by it. The issue I just have is to find a middle ground here, basically setting up the whole Alternate Universe thing in the mod, with its ALternative WWII thing as well as having the player find out a lot by himself.

We could of course keep the whole thing vauge and let the player figure it out by bits and pieces throughout the game, but at least have a introduction that says:

"1948. World War II is over. But this was not the WWII you know about, this war was different, fought with Technology that was ahead of its time, mere prototypes in our world where major weapons of war here. Due to strange events, history took a different turn. In 1943 a Organization called Thors Hammer put a plan in motion to take over the world once the war was over, using technology so far advanced, no one knows where it came from. They did not succeed, thanks to a unit of commandos who managed to stop them. Now, in post war Europe, they are back and they are not the only ones, then in the ruins of post war Europe, trouble is brewing that could upset the delicate balance of peace.

You are a Lt., just having been honorably discharged from the army after your long service in the war and you are about to be sucked into events that are bigger then you can imaging.

Welcome to the World of Silent Storm Sentinels *insert fancy mod titel here*."

Or something like that. What do you think? That at least introduces the player to the mod and its setting and leaves stuff vauge and open for the player to find out what is going on.

I am of course always welcome for feedback on that.

All right, I've managed to figure out how to use binoculars in the game. They used to be just a model in the game (part of the German Scout uniform). Now they are an RPG item that increases one's sight distance.

Check this out:

Binoculars_Without_1.png

without them equipped.

Binoculars_With_1.png

and after equipping them.

Great work on those US Soldiers, just too bad that they are NPC´s only. Well at least we have nice NPC models now for the mod. The Hazard suit looks very interesting, do you alredy have a use for it in mind? I am just wondering what we could use it for. One idea would be to have a mission set around some research lab and have the NPC guards wear them or something. At least it gives me some ideas. Also what do you want to add/change on the Soviet Camo Uniforms? Did you forget something?

Thanks, Lt.

Actually I could add those Great Coats as uniforms for the player to use (either with helmets or with gas masks, but not with both).

The lab is a good idea.

I've also been looking for ways to identify the uniforms the units are wearing so that I can create scripts for the following situations:

1. certain hazardous areas (radioactive, chemical or biological contamination zones) would require the player units to wear specific outfits in order not to take damage or die.

2. to be able to fool the enemy into remaining neutral by wearing friendly to them uniforms (in areas where the AI player would otherwise be hostile by default.) In H&S they implemented that sort of check through function UnitGetUniform(unit) but according to Novik it is not possible in S^3. I am still hopeful to find a way to do it - as it would add a whole new RPG layer to the campaign.

As for the TTsMKK and the Leaf Camo - I am just thinking of refining them a bit here and there before importing. (better bumps and gloss textures, that's all. Well, maybe adding better shading. Nothing special - nitpicking as usual. ;)

Hmm, also thinking about it, I was wondering if we might need some more desert themed uniforms, like these here:

Just an idea, I just thought they looked cool and all.

I agree. There aren't any desert specific uniforms, aside from a few terror ones. Which models and what textures should I try? I am thinking German soldier model, maybe. I am not sure about the textures needed . What are your thoughts?

Great to hear. I guess Okim is the only one here on the site that knows his way around the game and knows how to import the models so I guess you have to ask him for help in that regard once again. If he is too busy, I guess we have to find someone else to do it, but the folks I know use 3D Studio Max and Blender. The thing is, if you can figure out how to implement new models, then we could also get free stock models eaisly and put them in the mod if we so wish.

If it does not work out, we have to do it without the models then, thats fine, it just would have been nice to have em, thats all.

It certainly would but I wouldn't concentrate all our efforts on that at this point. There is still a lot of content in the game for us to play with. Besides once we start working on the scenario - we'll have our hands full, I promise.

I meant a complete timeline of events that went down and the points of divergence that made them into an Alternate Universe. I am rather good at setting up really big scenarios and establishing a whole "universe" like that. However, the problem is that this could simply too much info for the player and he gets overwehlmed by it. The issue I just have is to find a middle ground here, basically setting up the whole Alternate Universe thing in the mod, with its ALternative WWII thing as well as having the player find out a lot by himself.

We could of course keep the whole thing vauge and let the player figure it out by bits and pieces throughout the game, but at least have a introduction that says:

"1948. World War II is over. But this was not the WWII you know about, this war was different, fought with Technology that was ahead of its time, mere prototypes in our world where major weapons of war here. Due to strange events, history took a different turn. In 1943 a Organization called Thors Hammer put a plan in motion to take over the world once the war was over, using technology so far advanced, no one knows where it came from. They did not succeed, thanks to a unit of commandos who managed to stop them. Now, in post war Europe, they are back and they are not the only ones, then in the ruins of post war Europe, trouble is brewing that could upset the delicate balance of peace.

You are a Lt., just having been honorably discharged from the army after your long service in the war and you are about to be sucked into events that are bigger then you can imaging.

Welcome to the World of Silent Storm Sentinels *insert fancy mod titel here*."

Or something like that. What do you think? That at least introduces the player to the mod and its setting and leaves stuff vauge and open for the player to find out what is going on.

I am of course always welcome for feedback on that.

Overwhelming? I am already there. smile.png (And I thought only politicians were in the business of rewriting history)

Anyway, good intro. But let's keep it vague.

I would like to keep it toned down in terms of introducing "major weapons" and clues. Silent Storm encounter system is rather claustrophobic - large scale anything would be hard to achieve.

Revealing the story gradually if possible. Perhaps, those "major weapons" should not be mass produced either. Just working prototypes. Would work for an investigation type of plot which I definitely prefer.

I want to try that GI hero now. Will get back to you soon (hopefully with results).

Thanks, Lt.

(to be continued)

~Blunter~

"The year is 1948. World War II is over. In war-ravaged Europe, remnants of Germany's most fanatical fighters have refused to accept their country's defeat and have begun terrorizing Allied garrisons and civilian populations alike. There have also been rumors of raids on secret research labs and equipment caches throughout the world, carried out by mysterious organizations with military precision.

This matters little to you, as your part in the war is well and truly over. Your long and faithful but undistinguished service has managed to get you to the rank of Lieutenant before your honorable discharge. Before you can return home, however, you receive a cryptic message telling you to go to a small village in Poland, offering a well-paying job. With no other prospects for the future, you accept.

A silent storm is brewing, and you are about to walk right into it..."

How's this? It's less spoilerish, but still sets up how your character comes into things.

I have to say, the Binocular thing is a really nice addition. I think this will be very useful.

Thanks, Lt.

Actually I could add those Great Coats as uniforms for the player to use (either with helmets or with gas masks, but not with both).

Yes That would be a good idea, I can live with them having Helmets OR Gasmasks. They would make nice Winter Uniforms you know.

I've also been looking for ways to identify the uniforms the units are wearing so that I can create scripts for the following situations:

1. certain hazardous areas (radioactive, chemical or biological contamination zones) would require the player units to wear specific outfits in order not to take damage or die.

2. to be able to fool the enemy into remaining neutral by wearing friendly to them uniforms (in areas where the AI player would otherwise be hostile by default.) In H&S they implemented that sort of check through function UnitGetUniform(unit) but according to Novik it is not possible in S^3. I am still hopeful to find a way to do it - as it would add a whole new RPG layer to the campaign.

Thats very interesting, I have thought about that. If that is possible then we could add lots of dangerous environments and the Gasmasks actualyl have a use, so will have the Bio suit. As for the "being undercover" thing with the Uniforms, that would be nice too, but I am not a coder or scripter so no idea how that works.

As for the TTsMKK and the Leaf Camo - I am just thinking of refining them a bit here and there before importing. (better bumps and gloss textures, that's all. Well, maybe adding better shading. Nothing special - nitpicking as usual
Okay I see. Do what you gonna do I guess.

I agree. There aren't any desert specific uniforms, aside from a few terror ones. Which models and what textures should I try? I am thinking German soldier model, maybe. I am not sure about the textures needed . What are your thoughts?
Well yes try the German Uniforms, there are lots to choose from as well as the Italian one, there is a Italian Desert Camo in the WWII camo pack you downloaded. M1929 Telo Mimetico_5 is for desert areas. The Germans in the image I posted wear Eichenlaub Musters, both Summer (Green) and Autumn (brown) and just wear Khaki pants. The Standard desert camo back then where just wearing Khaki uniforms. Both German and British used that.

I would like to keep it toned down in terms of introducing "major weapons" and clues. Silent Storm encounter system is rather claustrophobic - large scale anything would be hard to achieve.
Well, the idea is that the player learns about the world he is in through clues, dialog and set pieces, maybe random encounters too. Maybe let it vague if these weapons where prototypes or not, but at least setup the fact you are in a Alternative Universe with its own timeline of events and a technological divergence.

Ecthel013: your writing is very good, we can use that. I just thought that the player may have already played Silent Storm and knows about the THO already and what they did so it would not have been Spoilers but maybe you are right to keep the stuff in the dark and have the player find it out doing the missions and random encounters.

Anyway, more on all that later.

"The year is 1948. World War II is over. In war-ravaged Europe, remnants of Germany's most fanatical fighters have refused to accept their country's defeat and have begun terrorizing Allied garrisons and civilian populations alike. There have also been rumors of raids on secret research labs and equipment caches throughout the world, carried out by mysterious organizations with military precision.

This matters little to you, as your part in the war is well and truly over. Your long and faithful but undistinguished service has managed to get you to the rank of Lieutenant before your honorable discharge. Before you can return home, however, you receive a cryptic message telling you to go to a small village in Poland, offering a well-paying job. With no other prospects for the future, you accept.

A silent storm is brewing, and you are about to walk right into it..."

How's this? It's less spoilerish, but still sets up how your character comes into things.

Now, this sounds very mysterious. Gave me goosebumps. Nice, Ecthel.

A question for you: why Poland? What's in there?

~Blunter~

Desert Uniforms done. I didn't add any insignia. Just plain clothes with ammo and items.

GermanDesertUniforms_1.png

And eichenlaubmuster camo versions as Lt. suggested leaving the pants khaki. German helmets have very strange geometry so I decided not to apply the camo to them too aggressively. The caps on the other hand didn't have that problem.

GermanDesertUniforms_2.png

(to be continued)

~Blunter~

BlunterII, could you please edit your signature to something less... whole pagey? Love your work, but I'd rather have you start a thread for each of the projects than see the descriptions and pics attached to every post. No offence meant, really.

Done. Thanks, S.V.

I've been working with those fancy eichenlaub musters (summer version). Decided to redo the first summer camo and as it always happens with me, I ended up doing some other ones as well. Take a look:

GerSummerCamoRedone.png

I think the finer pattern looks much better than the previous version. Anyway, The Germans will need some winter outfits and then they'll be ready.

@ Ecthel: Yes, you do write well.

As for Poland and Sentinels, umm... we don't really need to go by their story, or Sentinel story for that matter, or place it after the war necessarily. It can be anything - a tale of an antique thief or a Soviet border guard, or an American gangster or an SD officer. First, we'll go with Lt's idea, of course, but after that... Sky is the limit (well, my skills and the engine capabilities are also important factors).

But if it is Poland I have some maps of it in Sentinels format (framed for chapter maps and ready to be imported)

@ Lt.

"Blake and Mortimer"? - I looked them up on wiki and read some of the descriptions. Sounds like the stuff you've been talking about. It's entertaining (especially the first three). Good old Cold War propaganda.

What inspiration/ ideas did you find in them?

So far I've been unsuccessful in dealing with the GI hero. There are some other models that I could probably use ( not the Agent one). I don't know, we'll see.

Do you have the rough draft plot outline ready by chance.

(to be continued)

~Blunter~

Good job with the German Camos. I look forward to using them. So you replaced your first try completely? Well it did not look that bad actually.

"Blake and Mortimer"? - I looked them up on wiki and read some of the descriptions. Sounds like the stuff you've been talking about. It's entertaining (especially the first three). Good old Cold War propaganda.

What inspiration/ ideas did you find in them?

Yeah the first three comics "The Secret of the Swordfish" where written and drawn under the impression of WWII and the upcoming atomic age and the rise of communism in China, that is why it seems like to be borderline Cold War Propaganda. The later stories would not be that heavy handed. In SOS Meteor for example, the enemy power that is using the Weather Control machine is clearly the Soviet Union but they are never mentioned by name.

In "The Voronov Plot" the Soviet Union is openly named but not really the enemy. Instead, a group led by a Doctor Voronov wants to overthrow the Soviet Government and use a deadly Virus to conquer the west.

"An experimental Soviet satellite crash lands in Siberia carrying with it an incredibly lethal virus. KGB scientist Dr. Voronov, a Stalin admirer, along with Olrik (posing as Soviet Colonel Ilkor) plans to use the virus as a biological weapon to overthrow the Soviet government and conquer the West. After the plot is discovered by a British spy, Blake and Mortimer travel to the Soviet Union to stop Voronov."

The plot of the comic. Now tell me, would that not make an awesome mission where you go to Russia to try and locate the downed Satellite and stop some madman unleashing a deadly virus upon the earth?

There is more stuff we could use form the comics, like why not have a Mission where you have to save Mortimer or find Colonel Blake? What about trying to recover the stolen plans of a highly experimental aircraft, the Swordfish? There is tons of stuff there, even for random encounters, like Yellow Empire soldiers, Olrik and his men stuff like that.

So far I've been unsuccessful in dealing with the GI hero. There are some other models that I could probably use ( not the Agent one). I don't know, we'll see.
I see. Oh well, if it cant be done then its not a big problem for me.

Do you have the rough draft plot outline ready by chance.

Well, okay I can try so here we go:

Well, to be honest I never wrote a game plot before, so how do you want me to write that? Just like a regular story? If so I could just put it in here, if it needs to be game specific with event triggers and stuff then it will take some more time. Just let me know how rough this troy can be and how much details you want and I write it down and post it. I just thought that this might fit more into the whole "Scenario Thread" you wanted to created, because this mod here is just for the uniforms at the moment,

I mean I could give you an outline based on what we have worked on so far but I dont think that will suffice. So please let me know.