New S^3 Mod "All Uniforms" in development (feedback is welcome)

BlunterII

I am fine with these changes you made regarding Items and PCs, I just hope that this wont make the game too easy but from what I heard Sentinels is a lot harder then Silent Storm so I somehow doubt that. We would have to test this. Any idea when you are going to release the mod?

Sorry to hear that putting the sumpfmuster onto the Italian did not work out. In the german camo pack you downloaded there should be 3 Italian camos, maybe you should try one of them. The result may look like this:

https://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/LtHavoc/Alternate%20WWII/1352334836648.jpg

Drawing of a Italian Paratrooper in the typical Italian Camo pattern. Also You should check out this site here: https://www.kamouflage.net/ and this: https://camopedia.org...title=Main_Page these sites provide an overview of the various camo patterns around the world.

Just look for the countries and you will find tons of info.

Anyway, we do not need to go with ultra realism regarding the uniforms anyway, seeing that Sentinels is set after WWII and that we play Mercenaries and Mercs often to wear what they can get their hands on. See what I say about the Uniforms as guidelines rather then strict rules. So see what works best with the textures on the models.

By the way: do you still have the maps of your H&S mod? I was wondering if it maybe possible to implement them as random encounter maps in Silent Storm. This would of course not be the focus of this mod here but maybe as a stand alone mod it might be interesting.

I am fine with these changes you made regarding Items and PCs, I just hope that this wont make the game too easy but from what I heard Sentinels is a lot harder then Silent Storm so I somehow doubt that. We would have to test this.

Yes, testing would be necessary here. I am not sure how all those changes will affect the general gameplay.

The attribute growth changes don't seem to make the characters overpowered. Here is what happens:

attribute_change%25283x%2529.png

Any idea when you are going to release the mod?

I can release it any time, really. It is ~ 220 kb right now (without any textures imported).

Basically , here is what's been done so far:

- Added most of the already existing models as uniforms to the seller (at the prices you suggested)

- Small camos (black & fall variants are available for females only)

- Camos with gas masks have been added (Allied - "Alpha", German - "double filter", Terror - "TRR" versions implemented)

- Some combinations of body model and headgear added (leather berets primarily)

- Terror line of uniforms is now named "trooper", "heavy trooper", "armored trooper" uniforms

- enables most of those uniforms' to wear body armor

- Some uniforms ("armored trooper") have their own armor rating (the option to wear body armor for them - removed)

- Med and Engineering items are with the changes you proposed - 2/3 of the original requirements, lower end items have more uses, penalty to not use a "boost" type of item for "N" turns = the number of turns the "boost" effect lasts (and some other minor ones I added)

- Changes in Classes and base values discussed above

- More specialized class skill values (Engineer at lev. 15 will have their Engineering skill > 190, for example, while sniping will be miniscule.) Example:

SkillDistributionchange.png

Here, Fritz is posing as an Engineer, lev. 14, base values borrowed from Oleg. No additional points were added, only redistributed (arbitrarily) the existing ones to emphasize one's profession.

An interesting side effect of this change is that not only your engineer's mines and dynamite will become more deadly but your fixing ability at a certain point will surpass the Base Seller's.

I tested it.Here are the results:

1. Before firing the weapon

EngineerWeaponBeforeFixing.png

2. After firing it a couple of times and fixing it.

EngineerWeaponAfterFixing.png

Fascinating, isn't it? The actual durability will increase. So will the damage (after certain number of Dur. increases)

I can see some abusing this, but why be a jack of all trades when you can be really good at only one or two things? wink.png

Thoughts?

- Grenade Range increased (by reducing Grenades' weight by 50%)

- Mercs will have their perks "flashing" (not taken yet) for you to pick.

- A Sniper rifle and a silenced pistol are available ealier (2nd mission - "Test of loyalty")

Sorry to hear that putting the sumpfmuster onto the Italian did not work out. In the german camo pack you downloaded there should be 3 Italian camos, maybe you should try one of them. The result may look like this:..Drawing of a Italian Paratrooper in the typical Italian Camo pattern.

Yes, thanks for the image. I think I found a perfect model for that in the game, but it took some time fitting the texture on it. There are indeed several "telo mimeticos" in the pack but the hue values are insanely high (would make the Italian guy look like a clown) and some of the colors are a bit off. I had to rework it a bit. Check it out:

ItalianParatrooper.png

I used the "German Agent #1" model for this and the Italian soldier cap with the reworked "sewer pipe" texture. I know - silly. It looked second hand in the picture so I went in that direction. smile.png

Also You should check out this site here: https://www.kamouflage.net/ and this: https://camopedia.org...title=Main_Page these sites provide an overview of the various camo patterns around the world.

Just look for the countries and you will find tons of info.

Thanks, Lt. those are great sites.

Anyway, we do not need to go with ultra realism regarding the uniforms anyway, seeing that Sentinels is set after WWII and that we play Mercenaries and Mercs often to wear what they can get their hands on. See what I say about the Uniforms as guidelines rather then strict rules. So see what works best with the textures on the models.

Definitely.

By the way: do you still have the maps of your H&S mod? I was wondering if it maybe possible to implement them as random encounter maps in Silent Storm. This would of course not be the focus of this mod here but maybe as a stand alone mod it might be interesting.

I'd have to build them from scratch for this or any other S^3 mod. Do you have any specific ones in mind.

(I didn't post all of the ones I had, museum, opera house, some german towns, Russian winter Stalingrad ones, etc.They never made it to the blog since they were under construction.)

You know we can think of some new ones. I like working on templates. Well, actually, I don't mind - redoing the whole Sentinel scenario or making a new one for that matter.

It could be anything...

- Sandbox with a bunch of randoms and some general goal (getting rich or becoming some local leader, with a few local factions to befriend or to destroy). Some Central neutral location might serve as a base.

- Or something linear - escape or pursuit type of scenario (no base)

- Clue driven - investigation type of plot (with twists and turns) - doing things as part of a job (NKVD, SD, MI6, etc....)

- Missions / Special operations (similar to current S^2, S^3 design, with someone else driving the plot)

- ...???

Let me know what you think.

(to be continued)

~Blunter~

Well that is interesting that you can even increase durability. Not sure if it is game breaking or not, it would need further testing. I was pondering if I should use that mod that turns off durability or not but seeing this I may not even need that at all. So far everything looks okay to me but I am just a single person and so far not many folks have looked into this thread and posted. I maybe should promote this thread or something.

The Italian Paratrooper looks fantastic, thats exactly what I wanted to see. Is this uniform a replacer of the normal Italian soldier one? Thing is, looking back at the original model and the strange textures used on it, I think it would be even better to have your version as a replacer for that uniform. That of course depends if you still want to create 2 versions of this mod, one vanilla and one using the new camo textures.

Also yes the camo pack had all versions that existed of that pattern included, meant to be used for wooden, arid and desert areas. Speaking of camo uniforms: I finally got the Dension camo texture. I am not sure if it will be useful or not and I am also not sure what model you are going to fit it on (my guess would be the british commando models with the red berets) but here they are:

https://i4.photobucke...swoopscloth.jpg

https://i4.photobucke...on2seamless.jpg

https://i4.photobucke...enison2camo.jpg

See if these textures are useful to you or not. Also, I dug out some French lizard camo. It was the first camo pattern to be issued to the French Army after WWII, it was first issued in 1947 and became very popular in the 50s and 60s Many countries copied the pattern. Here is the link:

https://i4.photobucke...attern-camo.jpg

Also on my search regarding camouflage in the US Army in WWII I found out some very interesting things. The Airborne Pathfinder units would often hand apply camo to their M1942 Uniforms. That looked like this:

https://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/LtHavoc/Alternate%20WWII/IMG_0916.jpg

However, because of the demand for a special camo uniform for Rangers, Raiders and Pathfinders, the USA started producing M1942 suits in the Marine pacific camo:

https://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/LtHavoc/Alternate%20WWII/post-75-1176542466.jpg

US Army Paratrooper with the M1942 camo uniform using a Flamethrower

https://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/LtHavoc/Alternate%20WWII/USMCParaFullUniform.jpg

Full Uniform of the M1942 Paratrooper variant in camo.

https://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/LtHavoc/Alternate%20WWII/415224.jpg

Close up of the shirt.

These where later given to French Forces in Indochina. Why do I bring that up? Because I looked through you blog and found a image of your models you created by re-skinning existing ones and you had marked one as US Army Ranger and it looked like you had put a woodland texture on it. In short: put the Pacific Camo texture I provided on this model and you have a Ranger (The US Soldier NPC model, not the US Officer one).

The only problem I have with that model are these damn puttees around the boots. Soldiers hated them for a reason, they suck up water and get wet, start to stink after awhile, rub on your ankles and you cant take them easily on and off. Also with the introduction of ankle height boots there is no reason for them to exist. That one Partisan model with the cap could be a substitute, it would then look like the alamo scout:

https://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/LtHavoc/Alternate%20WWII/1350222864754.jpg

The guy on the right side with the spotted camo. That would be this camo btw: https://upload.wikime.../Duckhunter.JPG

https://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/LtHavoc/Camo/usa01a.jpg

Green version

https://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/LtHavoc/Camo/usa01b.jpg

Brown Beach Camo version.

I do think I gave you almost all the variants used by the USA. So try these textures out and see what works best.

Say did you test the Splittermusters in the German Camo pack yet? They should work well one some of the german models. Interesting fact: the Splittermuster was used after the war by the German Armed Forces again (the Bundeswehr), these uniforms used variants of the Splittermuster and was worn in the late 50s to the 60s until they where replaced by the standard Olive green uniforms.

As for the maps: I am not sure if we should redo the whole Sentinels scenario just yet (still need to play the vanilla Sentinels campaign), but having some additional missions (if thats possible) to play would be great, you know for fame and fortune.

I could think of various missions: for example, a mission where you have to capture a ex-Nazi Spy and turn him over to the authorities. He would be hiding in some small house somewhere either in Germany or some other country and be guarded by some bodyguards or something. You have to prevent him from reaching his car.

Or what about some run ins with smugglers and bandits? Thats always fun to raid thier hideouts and take the stuff they have.

Speaking of smuggling: Why not have a mission set in Egypt where a famous Archaeologist asks you for help in recovering an item from tomb raiders? These are just ideas, but you had some very interesting maps like:

Germany: Road and Crop

Germany: Manor

Various Bandit Camps

You redid several German Towns

German Forests (perfect base for criminals to operate from in post war Germany)

Also you did a Castle map, that map would fit more into Silent Storm but Sentinels work just as well. I had this idea, just as the Egypt mission is a homage to the Indy movies, this mission would be a homage to the Wolfenstein games where you have to rescue a US agent named BJ Blazkowicz from THO or some other bad guys.

So yeah, just some of my ideas. Tell me what you think.

Hey, Lt., thank you for the feedback and the info.

I am not sure if these bear close resemblance to some of the images you provided but here they are:

USRangers_1%2528redone%2529.png

The 1st Infantry is just for reference here. I created that uniform for my "Back to Berlin" plot (along with the 16th Constabulary, British Royal military police, etc.)

Another couple of uniforms:

USRangers_2%2528redone%2529.png

I might have to redo the cap. I think Sentinel Fem Officer/ Terror officer model is more appropriate.

I am still digging through some of my old files uncovering random treasures. Yesterday I found Fem face alternative textures. Added some make up for some memorable characters.

FemaleMakeUp.png

I could include these too. Or make even more? What do you think?

Well that is interesting that you can even increase durability. Not sure if it is game breaking or not, it would need further testing. I was pondering if I should use that mod that turns off durability or not but seeing this I may not even need that at all. So far everything looks okay to me but I am just a single person and so far not many folks have looked into this thread and posted. I maybe should promote this thread or something.

Yes, I understand there were quite a few folks on the GoG forums interested in modding. It could bring new ideas and useful references. Perhaps, we could find a dialog writer or someone will volunteer to make new models...( i.e. jeeps, AK 74 line of weapons, a new train and passenger cars, American M??? assault rifles, bamboo and jungle trees (for Pacific type of operations. Japan, Vietnam, etc) and most of all water. I can imitate water with textures, splashing sounds from STALKER and textures from the small fountain from S^2. But movement and ripples - nope. In essence - we could benefit from more people participating (or at least cheering and encouraging). smile.png

The Italian Paratrooper looks fantastic, thats exactly what I wanted to see. Is this uniform a replacer of the normal Italian soldier one? Thing is, looking back at the original model and the strange textures used on it, I think it would be even better to have your version as a replacer for that uniform. That of course depends if you still want to create 2 versions of this mod, one vanilla and one using the new camo textures.

Thanks. I haven't done any bumps for him (maybe later). I wouldn't overwrite anything, of course, but if you think we need to get rid of the vanilla Italian Paratrooper - I can disable his uniform (simple, really) or just leave it as is.

I am going to be releasing this in two versions:1. No new textures and 2. With new textures.

I'll need to clean it up a bit and upload number 1 for testing.

Number 2 we can continue to work on OR enrich Sentinels with a bunch of new encounters OR stop doing new textures and start working on a new plot while working only on relevant to the plot textures.

What do you think?

Very interesting info about the denison camo. The sample area is a bit too small for me to use though.

DenisonTexture.png

Looks great. If only it were a little larger. I know it is seemless but I would need a better quality I think.

That's what happened when I prepared it for skinning.

DenisonresizedQuadroTexture.png

Those folding lines mean trouble to me. Regarless, the pattern is awesome.

A quick question about insignia. Do we need it? I have some old transparent textures I made a year or two ago (German uniforms primarily) and the original game has some too. Here are the original German ones:

InsigniaVanilla.png

I remember doing some for Soviet occupational forces in Germany. I drew them directly on their uniforms instead of using a separate texture. I didn't know where the special texture spots were located on their models at the time. When I got to the German ones I already figured it out. I'll post them in a bit...

(to be continued)

~Blunter~

Well, these American Uniforms look okay, they just need a bit tweaking. The size of the pattern is a bit too large, specially the helmet and pants, it would need to made smaller if possible. You could also leave the helmet green and dont give it a texture altogether same with the cap. See what you can do if you cant do it I will see if I can get the camo-club people to rework the pattern a bit so its better fitting.

I was afraid that the Dension camo was not large enough, I will contact the guy right away and see if he can make a bigger pattern. How big should it be size wise to fit better anyway (pixle x pixle)? That would help me to get the fitting camos for you.

I will see that I promote this thread over at the GOG:com forums and maybe people will join. We have to see. As for the female faces with makeup: I dont think we need them, I never heard of soldiers wearing makeup before, even mercs. It would be interesting for NPCs like civilians and all but PCs? Not sure.

Hmm, as for the Insignias: good question. I dont think we need them to be honest. Its set after the war and I doubt that Mercenaries wear insignias. I mean the Sentinels want to have a low profile so they would not even wear ranks if there is a rank structure anyway. There where some professional Mercenary units like the 5 commando who wore insignias and ranks and whatnot but that was in the early 60s so long after Sentinels. The only other thing we could do is introduce special Sentinels insignias for the custom uniforms, but thats up to you. Ya know a logo of the force. Other then that, we dont really need any insignias,

And yes lets first finish the mod at hand, meaning version 1 and version 2 should add new uniforms and stuff and nothing else, we can go and work on custom campaigns later on after this is finished. You may, if you want, throw in some random encounter maps if you are in the mood but right now, the uniforms are more then enough and more then I can hope and ask for. It is pretty amazing that you take your time to do this mod in the first place. I dont think I can ever repay you for this.

Well, these American Uniforms look okay, they just need a bit tweaking. The size of the pattern is a bit too large, specially the helmet and pants, it would need to made smaller if possible. You could also leave the helmet green and dont give it a texture altogether same with the cap. See what you can do if you cant do it I will see if I can get the camo-club people to rework the pattern a bit so its better fitting.

Got it!

USRangers_3%2528Reworked%2529.png

The culprit was the body texture itself. Usually they use body and leg (arms) textures separately. But in case with the U.S. soldier arms are separate while the body is combined with the legs. Legs part is therefore stretched - which created this distorting effect. Fixed! (No need to ask the author to rework it, I already did it myself)

I was afraid that the Dension camo was not large enough, I will contact the guy right away and see if he can make a bigger pattern. How big should it be size wise to fit better anyway (pixle x pixle)? That would help me to get the fitting camos for you.
I know you already provided a picture of a quartet of British Commandoes a few posts up. I am still unclear about the scale of the pattern when applied to those uniforms. A close up (front, preferably) would be great.

I will see that I promote this thread over at the GOG:com forums and maybe people will join. We have to see. As for the female faces with makeup: I dont think we need them, I never heard of soldiers wearing makeup before, even mercs. It would be interesting for NPCs like civilians and all but PCs? Not sure.
All right, I might apply those to NPC females only

Hmm, as for the Insignias: good question. I dont think we need them to be honest. Its set after the war and I doubt that Mercenaries wear insignias. I mean the Sentinels want to have a low profile so they would not even wear ranks if there is a rank structure anyway. There where some professional Mercenary units like the 5 commando who wore insignias and ranks and whatnot but that was in the early 60s so long after Sentinels. The only other thing we could do is introduce special Sentinels insignias for the custom uniforms, but thats up to you. Ya know a logo of the force. Other then that, we dont really need any insignias,
I agree. On the other hand we don't really need to limit ourselves to the late 40s early 50s. Besides the whole Sentinels organization idea (I am talking about the underlying premise only) - was somewhat undercooked. Just my opinion, of course.

I am trying to look ahead and see what we might need to expand the plot or create a new one. I try not to rule out 1920's, 30s, early 40's either. At least not until we settle on what it is.

Btw, here are some SS uniform insignias I made:

Insignia_SS_Uniforms_1.png

Insignia_SS_Uniforms_2.png

And yes lets first finish the mod at hand, meaning version 1 and version 2 should add new uniforms and stuff and nothing else, we can go and work on custom campaigns later on after this is finished.

Well, we haven't tried the eichenlaub fall version and some other ones yet. Any idea about the model for that?

You may, if you want, throw in some random encounter maps if you are in the mood but right now,

What kind of randoms are you thinking about?

the uniforms are more then enough and more then I can hope and ask for. It is pretty amazing that you take your time to do this mod in the first place. I dont think I can ever repay you for this.

Just stick with me - that's good enough, really (persistency along with friendly and courteous demeanor of yours are great for team work. Couldn't ask for anything more) smile.png

We'll finish this and then some.

I'll be cleaning up the "All Uniforms" v 1.0 (no textures) to get it ready for testing.

(to be continued)

~Blunter~

now thats more like it! These US Army Camo uniform look really good now. Good job there. As for the closeup about the Deniosn Smock, no problem at all:

https://mpmuseum.org/postpara.html

https://pds16.egloos.com/pds/201003/17/38/e0060338_4ba054e2672cd.jpg

https://www.varusteleka.com/pictures/12725.jpg

There hope that helps. Where easy to find actually, just googled "Denison Smock" and found lots of hits.

About the SS Uniforms: they look really good, but there is something I wonder. Going by the Story of Silent Storm and its alternative reality/universe setting, I dont think Germany is ruled by Nazis, then you do not see any Hackenkreuz flags or symbols anywhere and in one document you find on the Allied side, regarding that British Colonel that spying for the germans, that Germany is still a Republic. Also note that they never call them Nazis in the game, they just call them Germans.

There are several alternate history stories where Hitler never came to power like "Hitler the Painter" where Hitler wins some money during a dice game, goes to the USA and becomes a painter there or the idea that Hitler dies in prison or dies during WWI. After playing Silent Strom I thought up my own idea about an Alternative History setting where the Nazis never took power but a different party, while Nationalistic, not so extreme. The Second World war would still take place under different pretenses, with accelerated scientific progress resulting in all sorts of Sci-f weapons. The point is that in this setting, the SS never existed, instead there would be a group called "Wolfpack" or better "Die Wölfe" a group of overzealous officers that would try to ensure Germany´s victory at all costs.

Worked into the Silent Strom story, these guys would try to develop the nuclear bomb before the USA and would try to use the THO weapons and gear for their purposes. Of course they failed, but the idea is that the Sentinels would also try to fight them as well after the war, because they still want to rebuild a German empire. The Sentinels organization would fight the THO and Die Wölfe as well as their auxiliaries troops/organizations.

So with that we could very well give the Sentinels a rank structure and insignias then, same with THO and Wolfpack. I bet we could easily come up with logos, ranks and whatnot for this.

I know everyone likes the idea of killing Nazis as the ultimate bad guys because of the history, but there is so much unpleasant stuff attached to that I would like to avoid. We could still keep the black uniforms and whatnot and change the insignias a bit and your SS Soldiers would fit again into this scenario.

So what do you think about that idea in the first place? I think it would make for a interesting story with twist and turns.

The mod is not finished yet, but will hopefully be finished soon. So you need to wait a bit. I guess Blunter is busy getting the textures right and whatnot.

Also some other suggestions for the mod: seeing that Sentinels is really hard from the get go, I would say that your character you created should start with a higher level, like level 4 and slightly adjusted stats. You just got released from the military after all and a a veteran and a Lt. to boot, so it makes no sense that you start with level 1 and have to re-learn everything all over again. I am wondering if you are really playing your old character or a totally new one because the Major calls you a Lt. and your Pc doesnt even know about Thors hammer at all.

Anyway just something to consider.

Is there a download for this? I can't see one in the OP!

If not, don't let this mod die! It's looking really great!

Not yet. I am still working on it. Version 1.0 will be out in a couple of days, I am almost done with it.

V2.0 is in development.

The mod is not finished yet, but will hopefully be finished soon. So you need to wait a bit. I guess Blunter is busy getting the textures right and whatnot.

Sorry, took so long. I am still having trouble with Denison. It's either too brignt or too cololess. Maybe the UK saboteur model is not the one I should go with. I don't know...

Anyway, I made some uniforms from the derivative textures I ended up with. Have a look:

DenisonSmock_1.png

and here is another one:

DenisonSmock_2.png

I might need to clean them up a bit...

Also some other suggestions for the mod: seeing that Sentinels is really hard from the get go, I would say that your character you created should start with a higher level, like level 4 and slightly adjusted stats. You just got released from the military after all and a a veteran and a Lt. to boot, so it makes no sense that you start with level 1 and have to re-learn everything all over again. I am wondering if you are really playing your old character or a totally new one because the Major calls you a Lt. and your Pc doesnt even know about Thors hammer at all.

Anyway just something to consider.

I'll look into that, Lt. Thanks. (Btw, did you break the door in the basement where you started? There is an MP 40 smg in the chest, and some grenades too. Makes the first missions so much easier).

Addressing your previous post:

About the SS Uniforms: they look really good, but there is something I wonder. Going by the Story of Silent Storm and its alternative reality/universe setting, I dont think Germany is ruled by Nazis, then you do not see any Hackenkreuz flags or symbols anywhere and in one document you find on the Allied side, regarding that British Colonel that spying for the germans, that Germany is still a Republic. Also note that they never call them Nazis in the game, they just call them Germans.

Thanks, Lt. It took me a bit of time to get those insignia right.

As for the setting in the original - I think they (Nival and Jowood) were just catering to europian sensitivities, nothing more. The advertising campaign for the game was already pretty poor but with Nazi flags and symbols S^2 could have even been banned in some countries. (Beside, the Russians used German - Fascist - Nazi interchangeably then. Calling them Germans does not necessarily differentiate them from the other two). Just my two cents, of course.

There are several alternate history stories where Hitler never came to power like "Hitler the Painter" where Hitler wins some money during a dice game, goes to the USA and becomes a painter there or the idea that Hitler dies in prison or dies during WWI. After playing Silent Strom I thought up my own idea about an Alternative History setting where the Nazis never took power but a different party, while Nationalistic, not so extreme. The Second World war would still take place under different pretenses, with accelerated scientific progress resulting in all sorts of Sci-f weapons. The point is that in this setting, the SS never existed, instead there would be a group called "Wolfpack" or better "Die Wölfe" a group of overzealous officers that would try to ensure Germany´s victory at all costs.

Worked into the Silent Strom story, these guys would try to develop the nuclear bomb before the USA and would try to use the THO weapons and gear for their purposes. Of course they failed, but the idea is that the Sentinels would also try to fight them as well after the war, because they still want to rebuild a German empire. The Sentinels organization would fight the THO and Die Wölfe as well as their auxiliaries troops/organizations.

Yes, I remember "Hitler The Painter", someone gave me a printout of that story. I even imported a couple of his works into the game as a side quest from an "eccentric collector".

It seems people like to give a lot of significance to various personalities disregarding the fact that those folks (Hitler, Stalin, Washington, Ghandi) did not exist in a vacuum but were just one man making decisions based on the environment surrounding them (economy, prevailing ideas at the time, other people around them). Demonizing them certainly serves its purpose - assignment of blame primarily, but to me... I don't buy it.

I can imagine that the war would probably have happened anyway - whether with Hitler being the front man or not.

Now the "Die Wolfe" is something we could definitely develop further if we decide to go the alt history route. One thing is important for me though.

I'd like to know about THO and Sentinels' handlers and sources, but most importantly - How these two large organizations manage to exist and conduct their operations right under the noses of several powerful and rather paranoid nations, those nations' militaries and intelligence?

How do they recruit people?

What kind of people do they attract and what career opportunities are there for their members?

How do they remain clandestine?

How do they finance their operations?

What is their chain of command?

And the crucial issue is - their agenda? The question "what for" ...need to be answered.

That's what I meant when I refered to the idea of Sentinels as "undercooked". None of those things are explained neither in S^2 nor its successor. As part of the investigation (S^2) it is passable but in sentinels it would need to be addressed.

Perhaps, we'll be able to figure that out prior to getting too deep into the scenario because I need to accept the premise before getting excited about the rest of the story.

Anyway, I'll need to enter the new classes in the database (otherwise they won't have any perk panels attached) and then look throught the entries one more time before releasing v1.0 (just to make sure I didn't miss anything big). Give me a couple of days :)

And then I will start a new thread (scenario and plot).

So with that we could very well give the Sentinels a rank structure and insignias then, same with THO and Wolfpack. I bet we could easily come up with logos, ranks and whatnot for this.

I know everyone likes the idea of killing Nazis as the ultimate bad guys because of the history, but there is so much unpleasant stuff attached to that I would like to avoid. We could still keep the black uniforms and whatnot and change the insignias a bit and your SS Soldiers would fit again into this scenario.

So what do you think about that idea in the first place? I think it would make for a interesting story with twist and turns.

Sure. "Die Wolfe" sounds interesting. Let's develop the back story more, first. Who backs them (financially) and why? Who is at war? etc.

(to be continued)

~ Blunter ~

I'd like to know about THO and Sentinels' handlers and sources, but most importantly - How these two large organizations manage to exist and conduct their operations right under the noses of several powerful and rather paranoid nations, those nations' militaries and intelligence?

How do they recruit people?

What kind of people do they attract and what career opportunities are there for their members?

How do they remain clandestine?

How do they finance their operations?

What is their chain of command?

And the crucial issue is - their agenda? The question "what for" ...need to be answered.

1) Recruitment is probably carried out by headhunting specific people, specifically chosen for their demonstrated capabilities during WW2. THO may also recruit criminals as cannon fodder, and may be less picky about their ex-soldiers as well.

2) Former soldiers/intelligence officers who couldn't reintegrate back into civilian life, or those still serving that are looking for extra money or the chance to save/rule the world. As for careers, I would assume the Sentinels simply provide a solid paycheck and job satisfaction, while THO probably offers secure jobs and privileges for when they're in charge of the world. Undercover agents for either side might also gain ranks (and appropriate paychecks) in their official line of work through subtle manipulation from their real bosses, so they have more access to information.

3) Presumably, using the aforementioned undercover agents. It could also be that the governments are simply too busy with each other and the aftermath of the war to look carefully at these two (it's only been a year or so since the war ended). The Sentinels might also have unofficial backing from some of them.

4) Probably either from their members' civilian jobs and/or unofficial/diverted government funding. Selling treasures hidden during the war, like the paintings you can find in-game, might also be part of it. Both recruit from the former Axis nations, after all, so it's likely that some of them might know about these caches.

5) Both the Sentinels and THO mostly consist of ex-military personnel, so a similar structure is likely. I think the Sentinels are commanded by a (former?) Colonel, but it's been a while since I last played S3. THO might be cell-based instead/in addition, though, as they're a secretive terrorist organization.

6) THO wants to rule the world, the Sentinels want to stop them (and presumably anyone else who tries something similar). That's pretty much it, as far as I can tell.

Well, Blunter, these British Commandos look very nice. Now that we have the British uniforms down I guess next you should try the Russian Patterns. What are your plans for V2 anyway, just add all the uniforms/textures I provided? Any idea how long this might take? Keep up the good work, mate.

Yes the marketing for Silent Storm was piss poor that is why it is often overlooked and seen as a very obscure game. Thankfully due to GOG.com and the recommendations from others the game seems to have a revival of some sort.

Your point about how these people you listed where influenced by the environment is of course correct, but you also should not forget that these people knew how to influence others and get them to follow them. I do not think the Nazis had been very successful if they didnt had someone like Hitler that could attract a mass of people with his charisma, specially those who would support him. It is well known that the Nazis did very poorly and where seen as crazies and lunatics before Hitler managed to get the party under his control and get people to back him and whatnot. I think without him the NSDAP may have fallen apart due to internal strife, but alas we can only make assumptions.

I also said WWII would still have happened regardless. The idea I played with, was that instead of the Nazis, some other party comes to power, lead by Günter von Abt, a officer of the Reichswehr that wanted to save germany from splitting apart, due to the struggle between Nazis and Communists. von Abt would create Confederation of the Nordic States, by having Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Finland join Germany create a large empire in the middle of Europe. That would scare the crap out of the Soviets and a rivalry between Germany and Russia would lead to the outbreak of the Second World War.

The difference in this setting is, that Germany marches into Poland because they fear Russia would annex it first and both Russia and Germany would race to get as much countries under control as possible, leading to France and Britain declaring war on Germany. In turn, Germany crushed France and attacks Britain and even manages to get troops there, which would explain why in Silent Strom there are German soldiers in England. of course, the rest follows the same as in our world, Japan attacks Pearl Barbour, getting the USA involved all the while Germany and his allies try to defeat Russia and Italy calls for help in Africa and whatnot.

The war would end pretty much the same as in our world just a bit later in 1946/1947 because the Allies needed to retake Britain first before landing in Normandy and the fact that von Abt dies later in the war (1943/44) in a plane crash and is replaced by his right hand man who actually is a puppet of "Die Wölfe" who prolong the war by using all sorts of diselpunk sci-fi weapons, basically all the prototype weapons that never saw the day of light became major weapons of war on both sides of the conflict.

In this scenario, the Holocaust also never took place simply for the fact that Von Abt was not a antisemitic, nor batshit insane. However the war was still waged with the brutality like any other major conflict and left large parts of the world in ruins and millions dead.

Anyway, "Die Wölfe" where are group of officers within the German Army that got together in 1943 all the while THO tried to fulfill its plan and talked about how the German Empire could be saved and what to do with Von Abt who at this point, wanted to actualyl stop the war and negotiate with a peace with the allies. These officers then sabotaged Von Abts plane, killing him and replacing him with his right hand man, who was basically a puppet of Die Wölfe who acted as a Shadow Government. They came to the realization that the only way to win the war would be to develop a nuclear weapon before the Allies do.

To buy more time until this weapon was ready, the used the tech Thors Hammer had sold and provided them to at least slow down the allies only to notice that the allies also had Panzerkleins and that Thors Hammer was a threat to them as well once the war was over. This covert struggle of these 2 shadowy organizations drained them of manpower and resulted in the failure of both their plans.

After the war, both organizations where left in a weak condition but now it was the best time to rebuild and pursue the goals they had since the war.

For your questions, I think Ecthel013 already answered most of them but I had my own ideas regarding that. The Sentinels could very well been created during the meeting of 3 veteran officers of WW2 who where now without a job but knew that Thors Hammer still existed. You have the ex-SAS officer, Major Daniel Haig, the ex-OSS Agent Colonel James Withbourne and the ex-Abwehr Oberst Günhter von Kesseling who all met in Switzerland, tasked with creating a Shadow Army that should fight the sinister organizations in a post war world that head towards the Cold War.

Using their extensive ties to Intelligence Organizations and backed by powerful and influence figures of government, military and business, of both sides of the Iron Curtain (because they want to keep the balance of power) they managed to build up a potent force to deal with THO. I would also say that all these 3 officers would have been approached by the CIA/MI5 and asked if they would not like to create such an organization to keep the peace. They basically had a mission again and they took it.

Ecthel013 already covered THO so I will go and talk about Die Wölfe instead. But if you want I can write something up about THO as well.

As for Die Wölfe: They are made up of disgruntled Ex- German Army soldiers and officers and at the outset would earn money by being Mercenaries, doing even the most dirty jobs, like being hired by mobsters and terrorists and such. However their main goal is to get revenge of those they deem traitors and to end the occupation and stop the forming of the Federal German Republic. For that they would act as terrorists. They use German Army ranks, plus special ranks like "Leitwolf", "Rudel Führer" and such for the top elite of their organization. They are ruthless, cunning and armed to the teeth. They would attract people who think similar as them, as well as ex-axis soldiers who do not know what to do with their life and such.

So, what do you think about this? Is that any good? Thats just what I have been thinking about so far.

I also said WWII would still have happened regardless. The idea I played with, was that instead of the Nazis, some other party comes to power, lead by Günter von Abt, a officer of the Reichswehr that wanted to save germany from splitting apart, due to the struggle between Nazis and Communists. von Abt would create Confederation of the Nordic States, by having Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Finland join Germany create a large empire in the middle of Europe. That would scare the crap out of the Soviets and a rivalry between Germany and Russia would lead to the outbreak of the Second World War.

The difference in this setting is, that Germany marches into Poland because they fear Russia would annex it first and both Russia and Germany would race to get as much countries under control as possible, leading to France and Britain declaring war on Germany. In turn, Germany crushed France and attacks Britain and even manages to get troops there, which would explain why in Silent Strom there are German soldiers in England. of course, the rest follows the same as in our world, Japan attacks Pearl Barbour, getting the USA involved all the while Germany and his allies try to defeat Russia and Italy calls for help in Africa and whatnot.

The war would end pretty much the same as in our world just a bit later in 1946/1947 because the Allies needed to retake Britain first before landing in Normandy and the fact that von Abt dies later in the war (1943/44) in a plane crash and is replaced by his right hand man who actually is a puppet of "Die Wölfe" who prolong the war by using all sorts of diselpunk sci-fi weapons, basically all the prototype weapons that never saw the day of light became major weapons of war on both sides of the conflict.

In this scenario, the Holocaust also never took place simply for the fact that Von Abt was not a antisemitic, nor batshit insane. However the war was still waged with the brutality like any other major conflict and left large parts of the world in ruins and millions dead.

Anyway, "Die Wölfe" where are group of officers within the German Army that got together in 1943 all the while THO tried to fulfill its plan and talked about how the German Empire could be saved and what to do with Von Abt who at this point, wanted to actualyl stop the war and negotiate with a peace with the allies. These officers then sabotaged Von Abts plane, killing him and replacing him with his right hand man, who was basically a puppet of Die Wölfe who acted as a Shadow Government. They came to the realization that the only way to win the war would be to develop a nuclear weapon before the Allies do.

To buy more time until this weapon was ready, the used the tech Thors Hammer had sold and provided them to at least slow down the allies only to notice that the allies also had Panzerkleins and that Thors Hammer was a threat to them as well once the war was over. This covert struggle of these 2 shadowy organizations drained them of manpower and resulted in the failure of both their plans.

After the war, both organizations where left in a weak condition but now it was the best time to rebuild and pursue the goals they had since the war.

Just some quibbles I have, though I really like the overall idea.

1) I highly doubt Germany would be allowed to form that Confederation by the Allies, unless World War 1 ended very differently in this alternate universe.

1a) Also, if the Winter War between the Soviets and Finland still happens, that means the Confederation should be at war with them, which would deprive them of troops to conquer France. That said, if there aren't any official antisemitic policies, many from the Jewish populations are likely to serve in the armed forces, as well as not tying down the resources required to oppress them. This would probably still be insufficient, though, unless they started deploying those prototype weapons early.

2) Unless THO sold them a navy as well, the Confederation/Germany is unlikely to have the means necessary to make a landing in the UK, especially if they've got the Soviet Union on their other front.

2a) As a side note, those were special forces (probably members of Abwehr II, their Sabotage section) in Silent Storm, rather than regular Heer units.

3) If the UK is being invaded, I doubt they'll be sending as many troops (if any) to North Africa, especially if Japan's still rampaging through the Pacific. Even the Italians should be able to conquer North Africa without German help in this case, especially if they have Vichy French troops on their side. Then again...

Well, the idea here is that German somehow forms an empire between 1933 and 1939 by negotiations and diplomacy instead of war, the reason simply is that Germany fears the Soviet Union and manages to get these states on their site to form an alliance against the Soviets (similar to what really happened, but instead of just Italy and Japan, it would be the Scandinavian states).

Good point about the Winter War actually, I did not thought about that. We could presume that this is what leads Germany to enter the war with Russia in the first place in this scenario. Keep in mind that with the Scandinavian countries plus Germany, this Alliance would have a huge army to use, the Wehrmacht had 18.2 Million soldiers at one point available now add what these other nations have and you have a very potent force.

We could then also assume that we have a combined Navy as well. To make the scenario of Operation Sealion a success, I thought that Germany does NOT focus on the construction of Battleships but instead puts it into Aircraft Carriers as well as Submarines and smaller Destroyers and landing crafts. It is just an idea, we could also just have it that Germany instead focuses on small scale raiding operations with special units.

I'll take your point about the armies, but they're still going up against the Soviet Union, which has bigger armies than anyone else. If they're taking on France and Britain as well, they're going to be stretched thin. Even with larger armies, fighting a two-front war from the start would make it pretty difficult for them to knock France or the Soviets out quickly.

I highly doubt even their combined fleets and air forces would be able to secure a landing against the Royal Navy and the Royal Air Force, especially if they're trying to contain the Soviets and/or facing the French on top of that. The Kriegsmarine was gutted by the Treaty of Versailles, and ships take much longer and require more resources to build than rifles, aircraft or tanks, so they didn't exactly get far with rebuilding it by WW2. The Scandinavian navies weren't any bigger, either.

Well, I guess since it's alternate history, it could simply be handwaved that their forces are bigger/better equipped than they were historically. I do think raids like the current random encounters are more likely than an all-out invasion, though.

Okay thanks for the feedback. You raise some very valid points here. I just thought that with the advanced technology available like Flying Wings, Jetbombers and stuff like this, Germany would have a distinct advantage over the Allies, at least until the Allies use their own advanced tech.

Well, no idea if its useful or not, but here is a link to a gallery that deals with the whole "WEIRD WWII" theme that is mostly prevalent in miniatures. For those who do not know, "WEIRD WWII" is basically an "what if" thing, alternate WWII scenario where both sides of the war develop dieselpunk/sci-fi style superweapons as well as the whole occult aspect (pretty much like Wolfenstein). Maybe it could give us some ideas regarding uniforms or missions/stories etc.

Check it out: https://wk.frothersun...lp/weirdwar.htm

They also have a Pulp Figures gallery (pulp would work well for a scenario as well) and regular WWII figs.

Ok, "All Uniforms" v 1.0 is finished. No new textures.

A tip on how to upload it to the "files" section of this site would be appreciated smile.png

[Edit] ALL UNIFORMS MediaFire link [Edit]

What version 1.0 does (so far)>>>

ReadMe:

Installation:

Unpack/Extract "All uniforms" mod folder in your Sentinels main directory "Silent Storm - Sentinels"

Description:

- UNIFORMS:

1. Most of the already existing models have been added as uniforms to the seller (at reasonable prices)

2. New combinations of vanilla models and materials have been created (leather berets, various caps)

3. All uniforms (with few exceptions) were enabled to wear armor. The best fitting body armors were picked for each new uniform.

4. Terror line of uniforms are named "trooper", "heavy trooper", "armored trooper" uniforms

5. Some uniforms ("armored trooper") have their own armor rating (the option to wear body armor for them - removed)

6. Small camos (black & fall variants are available for females only)

7. Camos with gas masks have been added (Allied - "Alpha", German - "Double filter", Terror - "TRR" versions implemented)

- MEDICAL AND ENGINEERING ITEMS:

1. are now easier to use: ~ 2/3 of the original requirements,

2. lower end items have more uses,

3. The "no use again for N turns" number for medical items now equals the duration of the drug. IOW you can use it again right after its effect expires

- GRENADE RANGE GOT INCREASED:

1. Grenade Range increased (by reducing Grenades' weight by 50%) resulting in grenades being thrown further (also skill and perk dependant)

- CLASS AND BASE VALUE CHANGES:

1. Str., Dex., Int for most mercenaries were changed by reassigning some of the points to Dex.

2. Attribute growth coefficient was changed from 2x to 3x for the primary attribute and from 1x to 2x for Dex unless Dex is the primary. In cases when Dex is the primary Attribute ( i.e. Scout and Sniper) the Dex gets 3x modifier with the Scout getting - Str. 2x, and the Sniper - Int. 2x modifier.

3. Skill points were overhauled to emphasize one's profession. Soldier will have exceptional shooting and burst skills while being very poor at sniping and engineering, for example.

- MERCENARY PERK AUTO SELECT SYSTEM - disabled

1. Mercs upon hiring will have their perks "flashing" (not taken yet) for the player to pick at their discretion.

MINOR CHANGES:

1. First couple of missions yield slightly better rewards

2. A Sniper rifle and a silenced pistol are now available ealier (2nd mission - "Test of loyalty")

(I didn't increase the staring hero level for two reasons: 1. makes the game extremely easy, 2. the hero's level progression slows to a crawl for a long time (since the first several missions and randoms feature only low level enemies resulting in very small experience gains)

If you think I need to add something else - let me know smile.png

(to be continued)

~Blunter~

No idea how to upload files to the site, I thought it should be rather easy to do. I guess you have to ask one of the administrators or mods how to do it.

If not simply upload it to mediafire or something and post the link for the mod in this thread.

Also, a few days ago I asked Okim if he was willing to provide his Gasmask model he made for his Post Apocalypse mod for us, he said he will see what he can do. Thought I let you know.

Denison Camo version 3 is ready. I like this one better than the other two. Take a look:

DenisonSmock_3.png

and a close up (with bump texture, etc.)

DenisonSmock_3%2528closeup%2529.png

Fritz doesn't have very much gear on him - so the ammo packs and grenades do not show here on purpose.

Found some old textures of various military males in civilian clothes from my H&S mod:

MilitaryMaleAsCivilians_1.png

Now about the plot ideas. I'll address some of the finer points later in its own thread, for now just the highlights.

- I am okay with the alternative history idea ( but the sci-fi part kind of makes me twitch, I disliked the PKs and the energy weapons in S^2 and S^3, conventional warfare was good enough for me.) I'd rather avoid going full scale sci-fi with hordes of PKs running around and energy weapons found in every dumpster.

- The unknown history sounds even better to me . All of the things you talked about can still be implemented but as rare prototypes in questionable condition in some bunker ruins, old factories, contaminated areas (nuclear, chemical fallouts) - obtainable only through special quests and/ or one-time random encounters (similar to "Sea Devil" anti-materiel" rifle from S^2)

- Wolfenstein idea is nice, they already have a zombie head in the Game...

I'd substitute the occult origin of Zombies for a bio experiment gone bad (ala Far Cry).

The head looks pretty good. I can adjust its texture to make a more disgusting look.

ZombieSS_1.png

Anyway, I appreciate the feedback and enjoy your guys exchange of ideas. Keep them coming.

I'll address some of the other points a bit later.

Which Russian models do you think I should try those RU camo textures on? (Lt.)

(to be continued)

~Blunter~

Nice Dension Camo. I have to say that I like all 3 versions so far. Good work.

Now about the plot ideas. I'll address some of the finer points later in its own thread, for now just the highlights.

- I am okay with the alternative history idea ( but the sci-fi part kind of makes me twitch, I disliked the PKs and the energy weapons in S^2 and S^3, conventional warfare was good enough for me.) I'd rather avoid going full scale sci-fi with hordes of PKs running around and energy weapons found in every dumpster.

- The unknown history sounds even better to me . All of the things you talked about can still be implemented but as rare prototypes in questionable condition in some bunker ruins, old factories, contaminated areas (nuclear, chemical fallouts) - obtainable only through special quests and/ or one-time random encounters (similar to "Sea Devil" anti-materiel" rifle from S^2)

- Wolfenstein idea is nice, they already have a zombie head in the Game...

I'd substitute the occult origin of Zombies to a bio experiment gone bad (ala Far Cry).

No no, do not assume that with sci-fi I meant pew-pew laser weapons. I should have chosen "futuristic" instead of sci-fi. Also all this is just background "Fluff" to pad out the setting. The Panzerkleins wont play a major role in this campaign anyway. While the both the Allies and the Russians have Panzerkleins or their own versions thereof, the THO has only limited supply of them because we destroyed their capabilities to produce them by raiding Bergers Factory and arrest him in Silent Storm.

Die Wölfe dont have no Panzerkleins at all, instead using heavy armored soldiers instead.

https://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/LtHavoc/Alternate%20WWII/Axis/reliquary___german_engineer_by_anderpeich-d5jqqzb_zps16b7551a.jpg

Like this for example.

Regular Soldiers look somewhat like this:

https://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/LtHavoc/Alternate%20WWII/Axis/grenader_by_tugodoomer-d3i3uc8_zpsbd486d08.jpg

So no lasers or anything like that. I know a lot of people hate the Panzerkleins because they change the pace of the game and all, but I really liked the idea. Seeing that they show up late in the game I never thought they where a game breaker for me. There is always the option to make the PKs weaker and such like one mod already does that is hosted here on Strategy Core.

Oh also, you really should check out this page here, its a site dedicated to all the Aircrafts that where planned by Nazi Germany but never got further then the drawing board:

https://www.luft46.com/

Check out some of the stuff there and dont tell me they look like the come from a sci-fi movie. The USA had similar projects during WWII, radical new aircraft designs like the YB-35 and such. Thats straight up Dieselpunk style.

Anyway, I was not aware that there are already Zombie models for the game, where they unused or are they part of some random encounter? Anyway, we could work them in somehow, like deranged experiments of some insane researcher that you have to stop in the course of the campaign. Or they are part of some random encounter etc.

Reminds me, if we really go for a bigger mod that replaces the original scenario of Sentinels, then we also need at least some new weapons, like Walter PPK, Beretta 34, G43, Reising M50 and some other weapons from WWII that where missing from the game. That means we need someone to model and put them into the game, Okim is the only one I can think of right now that would be able to do so, but I guess he is busy. No idea who else would be up for the job.

Speaking of weapons and prototypes: what about stuff like the British EM-2 rifle, the US Sieg Rifle and stuff like that? These would fit the theme pretty well that we are going for. Here is a nice page dedicated to prototype weapons like that: https://www.forgottenweapons.com/

Which Russian models do you think I should try those RU camo textures on? (Lt.)

Good question. These camo suits where normally one piece coveralls, but I found this drawing here that might help, its a 2 piece uniform:

https://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/LtHavoc/Alternate%20WWII/Allies/soviet_scout_by_anderpeich-d3079io_zpsd8a6dfdd.jpg

Its in the Amoba camo, I did not provide it because its an overprint so you need a green background to make proper use of it as a texture.

https://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/LtHavoc/Alternate%20WWII/Allies/osp94.jpg

Another image, note the soldier in the camo suit.

My idea was to use the THO Night Camo and Fall Camo soldiers as a base for this and put some russian patterns on it. Optional would also be the desert gunner as well. So, you figure it out what body would be best suited for the camo. I think I mentioned that at the very beginning when I first provided the camos. So anyway, see what you can come up with.

In case you have disabled the signatures here is the link to the mod:

ALL UNIFORMS v1.0

(MediaFire, rar)

For Installation and Description, please see post #43 (above)

Would it be possible to split the Uniforms and Tweaks into separate mods? People might only want one or the other.

Hi, Ecthel013.

Thanks for joining the thread.

Are you talking about some hypothetical "people" or someone in particular? wink.png

Seriously though, I don't see myself going back and bringing all the tweaked values to their original state unless they are game breaking or unbalancing in some way. All the changes are incremental and in my testing didn't affect the gameplay in any major way (I played through the first 3 missions). You might want to try it yourself, if you like. Please report any bugs, inconsistencies, etc.

Edit: Besides, I am planning to use this mod as a foundation for the new scenario. And if everything goes according to plan the player will need all the help they can get...

(to be continued)

~Blunter~