Playing any games?

Since redoing my hard drive, again, I decided to only put a few games on it at one time. Right now I'm playing Batman Arkham City, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Wizardry 8, Star Wars the Old Republic, GTA:SA, Hellgate London, Jagged Alliance 2, Star Trek Online, Dungeon Siege 2, Star Wars KOTOR II: TSL, UFO aftermath, Assassin's Creed II, and Masters of Orion III

"A few"??

Managed to tear myself away from MOM - one enemy wizard's fun, but two on normal difficulty is brutal. Seems like they get a head start on harder levels and have more cities.

Anyway, decided to tech up and get into mobile computing. The obvious option was to go for a smart phone. So I got a reasonably priced tablet instead with Android 4 on it to test the waters.

In getting some apps to make it useful, I've somehow ended up getting a few (free) games by a Korean company called Com2us and find myself suddenly addicted to a farm sim called Tiny Farm. It's a cute and frivolous farm sim for your handphone or tablet that you tend to every so often as everything happens on countdown timers that take hours and hours.

And also been trying out their other titles like Elphis (You play Red Riding hood who is an idiot but has awesome skills with a mallet, that was enough to intrigue me) and Inotia 3 (fun cookie-cutter style old-school RPG). The english translations aren't perfect, but the games are entertaining enough for me not to care.

- NKF

So, you finally decided to jump off the deep end and let a tablet allure you, NKF? wink.png

Your mention of the little farm sim reminded me of another sort of 'management' titles, and, more specifically, of a little game which you're bound to get enamoured with. Be sure to have a look at Pocket Frogs.

::

Disclaimer: we shall not be deemed responsible in any way for any undue, unintended, secondary, addiction symptoms. tongue.png

Bookmarked! I'm steering clear of any Angry Birds titles though. I suffered some irreversible psychological trauma last year on visiting my hometown, and seeing almost every child on the street clad in Angry Birds clothing and carrying various related Angry Bird imitation branded gear like backpacks and lunch boxes. All the toy shops were filled with Angry Bird related toys and none of the stuff I was looking for. *shudder*

- NKF

• 2 weeks later...

Just completed Mass Effect 3. Epic game. EPIC. E P I C.

E

P

I

C

Probably the best RPG I've ever played in my life; never seen a storyline better told, not even in Dragon Age (which I also thoroughly enjoyed), characters so well developed, combat so thrilling.

BUT! Extended Cut is a must. The standard endings are... just underwhelming; there are three and are completely the same. Completely, not just similar, the same freaking ending with a small variation at the beginning and nothing more. The extended endings are superb, I don't understand how they dropped the ball that bad with the vanilla endings, but nevermind.

This game is a 10/10 for me.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm interested in Dishonoured, but not really sold, anyone got any opinions?

Hitman Absolution looks like it might be good, Tokyo Jungle is INSANE, XCOM's just out, Hotline Miami looks ace, Retro City Rampage I have to wait for, and overall, too many games.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm playing a bit of XCOM, like most here.

So far there's... a lot of disappointment; the game is good, I think, but I still feel like there's a lot of handholding typical of this age of gaming. The game feels stupidly constrainted, gone is the freedom of the originals. There's a lot of nonsense, like having to waste money on increasing squad size to FIVE? what's the rationale behind that? come on, it feels like there is a lot to hinder you, not that the game is not hard, I'm sure it is on its own right, but stuff like that puts me off big time.

Also, the UI is horrible, navigating through the base feels a lot more uncomfortable than it should be; the battlescape keeps zooming my camera out on every turn (or every soldier selection, can't recall), it's annoying.

Obviously the game is much more oriented towards cinematics, which I'm ok with, but it's a bit unfair that everytime I spot Aliens, they get to move! I see them, an animation of them turning around plays, and then they sprint for cover. Not. Fair.

And more units entering the battlefield is not cool at all.

So far I'm feeling like games like UFO: AM and AS are a whole lot more like X-COM than this game :(

Hotline Miami.

Imagine you're in the film, Drive. It's the 1980s, neon, sleaze, synthesiser soundtracks. And you're the protagonist, and all you do is drive. You're really really good at it. Except you don't drive, you kill. You start each level unarmed, and must wipe each level clean of thugs. Said thugs are usually armed. So a level will usually go like this:

As a thug passes the front door, you barge it open and it knocks him flat. You pick up the gun he dropped, shoot his friend coming at you with a knife, then stop and smash his head open on the floor. Drawn by the gunshot, two more enemies storm in, and you fling the gun at the third, and punch the fourth, before kicking his head apart, taking his baseball bat, and clubbing the third to death.

Ramp the enemy count up to about twenty, and there you go. It's an absolute massacre of a game, you need speed, reflexes and skill. The score system offers lots of replayability.

Dishonored.

Feels a lot like Assassin's Creed, but in first person perspective; but it's a lot more different than that. You get to fight with swords, pistols, and have a spell repertoire which spices things up. The combat is great, seeing as this game is from Bethesda, I can already see the next Elder Scrolls having the sweetest hand to hand combat ever seen in a first person RPG ever.

• 2 weeks later...

Overjoyed to find the shootdodge in Max Payne 3 is shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. Takes a second to kick in, meaning if you want to use it when enemies appear you have to be psychic (e.g. you press the button, there is a wait, then slow motion kicks in) and it takes Max ages to get up from it, meaning you are simply stuck in one place to be shot while he recovers. Fantastic. Other than that, though, it's really good, a proper Max Payne game. Part of the problem has always been that Max only really does one thing, and they've never tried to integrate anything else into the game (e.g. slides/jumps over furniture, rolls, vaulting walls, etc). The biggest idea is, as shootdodge is basically a slow motion fall, let's incorporate some longer falls, where you shoot. Inspired. Plenty of minor niggles aside, a decent game.

Dishonoured. Quite liking it. Stealth system is too generous and the levels are a bit small, but a good game. Just get rid of all the hand-holding, for God's sake. It'd be much better if it stopped interrupting your gameplay every five minutes to remind you that you are playing a game.

I am currently playing Dead Light, a creat throwback to Flashback'esque / (classic) Prince of Persia gaming, 2D platformer in a zombie apocalypse. Think a Walking Dead 2D action platformer.

Mixed with a bit of Mark of the Ninja, another good 2D platformer.

And Orcs Must Die 2! for my online necessities.

• 3 weeks later...

The following game is a newer RTS with a TON of detail and things you can do. It's played by a small community of players and was featured on Indie Games a while back. It's a great retro, text style of strategy game where you can take over the world like in Risk, build farms like in Farmville, or summon wizards and make pilgrimages like in [?] Enjoy!

The Grid https://codeelf.com/games/grid/

https://indiegames.com/the%20grid.png

• 2 weeks later...

There was Grotesque Tactics big sale on steam for almost 3EUR bought two parts. Although the game itself ain't spectacular it's charm comes from all the irony, comedy, sarcasms all that dandy stuff about questing, rpging, slaying monsters, female skimpy armours. There are tons of references of famous RPG's. Baldurs Gate, Neverwinter Nights, Final Fantasy, Ultima. If you haven't played it - maybe you should consider it.

The only thing that bothered me through out the game was the camera.

• 1 month later...

I've been playing Far Cry 3 a lot, it's been described not too inaccurately as Skyrim with guns; the story is nowhere as interesting, and the world is nowhere as expansive and alive, but it's probably the best open world shooter I've played in a while; it's similar in a lot of aspects to Just Cause 2, I probably had a lot more fun with the latter, much less collecting bullshit all around; there's just so much time to waste collecting crap, animal hides (and there are a lot of animal varieties) for upgrades (backbacks, weapons holsters, ammo packs, etc), herbs for healing and such, etc, it's busy work, probably will get bored with it when Aliens Colonial Marines takes over my life, if they don't screw it up.

Also, I've luckily been able to play The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker on my PC :) running on the Dolphin emulator. I had played it on my Wii before, but the Wii support for GameCube games is astoundingly bad; I need to hook up my old GameCube controller, which doesn't really have a long cable and my TV is not that close to the couch, and I need to use the memory card instead of being able to use the Wii memory. WTF Nintendo? You are obviously running an emulation layer, why couldn't you redirect memory management calls to the internal wii memory handler? For stupid shit like this is that I'm never going to purchase another console from you.

So, anyway, the game runs flawless on my system, and the XBox 360 controller is an adequate replacement for the GameCube controller.

I just bought Strike Suit Zero from GOG.com. This game is amazing! If you ever enjoyed games like Homeworld, this is the game for you!

Beautiful graphics - Check, Space Combat/Dog Fights - Check, Intense & Dramatic Music - Check. A Storyline that keeps you engaged - Check.

Hell, don't even take my word for it, either click on Thorondor's trailer in the "Other gaming news" section, or click on my link here and see for yourself.