Heavies. Why?

McNtr

I seem to get lucky with finding sci heavies, and at relatively low level the bullet swarm skill allows you to make a very versatile sci soldier. As long as you shoot first you can fire once on a strong alien for good damage, and take down a weaker alien with mindfray in the same turn from almost any range with nearly 100% accuracy.

Once they're up to higher promotions, they take relatively little damage while in cover, and firing a heavy plasma and mind controlling an enemy in the same turn makes them one of the best units to completely ruin an alien advance. They will quickly take cover or fall back when faced with one of these guys, and in the next turn you can wipe out the cover with a rocket to open them up for your snipers with "in the zone"

I seem to get lucky with finding sci heavies, and at relatively low level the bullet swarm skill allows you to make a very versatile sci soldier. As long as you shoot first you can fire once on a strong alien for good damage, and take down a weaker alien with mindfray in the same turn from almost any range with nearly 100% accuracy.

Once they're up to higher promotions, they take relatively little damage while in cover, and firing a heavy plasma and mind controlling an enemy in the same turn makes them one of the best units to completely ruin an alien advance. They will quickly take cover or fall back when faced with one of these guys, and in the next turn you can wipe out the cover with a rocket to open them up for your snipers with "in the zone"

I got 3 Psionic Heavies on my current game - after getting and using the 2nd I decided I needed to try a third. The issue to me is that Psionics unbalances the game towards the human player like the original - Heavies benefit like all other classes from the player using it.

• 4 weeks later...

Assault is my current favorite, though I'm still mourning the loss of "snake eyes," my beloved sniper, and I'm getting rather attached to "boom boom," my heavy who makes a very respectable number of kills despite her stripper nickname.

Oooh, also, I have a soldier now whose name looks so much like Ki-tat Chung that every time I see it, that's what I read. Should just change his name, but then what if something happens to him? :(