Strategy guide

Sorbicol

You just have to accept losing soldiers and missions. Losing a team doesn't lose you the game. (Unless it's the first mission. Or, presumably, the last.)

*shrug* no different to UFO:EU in that regard.

And above all, it's necessary to learn when to retreat to a safer position or even pull out of a mission, if you started on a bad location and completely surrounded with aliens. It took me about 30 games of Classic Ironman before I learned how to cut my losses.

It takes a lot of quick thinking and adaptation - you're used to completely dominate the battlefield with your newest armour and weapons - but when you face new aliens that overconfidence and bravado can get you killed since you'll be facing the same situation on the beginning of the game when 1 shot can kill any of your soldiers.

• 3 weeks later...

Some quick tips for aspiring Commanders are now up at Armchair General here.

Nice article but he has something incorrect IMO: "The XCOM AI will, nine times out of ten, only fire at the closest soldier the enemy can see."

While it's true, this applies first, at least on Classic: "The XCOM AI will, nine times out of ten, fire at the soldier with the lowest/zero cover the enemy can see."

The AI looks for the better odds for kills - it doesn't matter if the unit is close or not. It knows how important skilled soldiers are to you...

Real pain when the aliens run right up to your cover and for sure and certain blows you away. (And hilarious when they miss _their_ 99% shot once in a while.)

I'm getting used to CI but one of the most stressful situations is when you start fighting more than 1 pack of Mutons at the same time - you don't want to be on the receiving end of a Muton Blitzkrieg: first one of them does Blood Call giving all in range a +10 Bonus in Will/Aim and +4 Movement; then another throws a grenade to blow your cover and the rest charge you - it's a pleasure and a pain to see the AI play so well in these occasions.

• 1 month later...