Crash to Desktop (CTD) when trying to use any mod

Konraden

Can't quite figure this one out.

Played through S2 earlier this week, enjoyed it like the first time I bought it (this engine is amazing). I usually use Cookie's no PK Mod because--like most--I can't stand how the PKs ruin the feel and strategy of the game.

So, in S3, I wanted to run his no PK mod again (the S3 version). However, when I try starting a game with the mod, it CTDs on me.

This is after I spent several hours getting it to work on Win7 x64 (and the notorious "unsupported video card" problem). I used both the Hex-edit method and the newer .DLL method to make it work--both individually and at the same time--and both work just fine for a vanilla game. As soon as I try to enable custom game mods, it crashes when I click "apply."

So, I figured I'd try to play a game, save at world-map, and use S3AddMod. That didn't work either. As soon as I try to load the game, it crashes to desktop.

Updated video drivers (nVidia 302.xx I believe), I'm using DX11, and on official patch 1.1. I'm out of ideas. :\

Help would be appreciated, even if it is just finding some crash-logs or something. Stuff be irratatin'!

P.S., I know these boards are pretty dead, but I've got this thread subscribed, so I should be able to respond quickly (within 24 hours at most).

Maybe you should contact the Author himself? I too had problems with this mod so I gave up on it. Though in S3 PK's are more balanced than in S2.

It's any mod. I've tried the NoPK Mod, some character changes, ammo fixes, and one I did for some AP-Free Inventory, and none of them work together or indiviually.

It could be due to the cracked exe for the Unsupported Video Card. You could also try with virtualization - but I don't know which software emulates graphics card. I've read that Nvidia made it possible to virtualize old GeForce (probably 4). You could try with this. Make 32bit OS with 2GB of RAM - with this you don't have to fix the "unsupported video card". Because what I've read it's about the amount of memory.

You could also try the fix that is somewhere on GoG.

It could be due to the cracked exe for the Unsupported Video Card. You could also try with virtualization - but I don't know which software emulates graphics card. I've read that Nvidia made it possible to virtualize old GeForce (probably 4). You could try with this. Make 32bit OS with 2GB of RAM - with this you don't have to fix the "unsupported video card". Because what I've read it's about the amount of memory.

You could also try the fix that is somewhere on GoG.

The Silent Storm on GoG was apparently fixed (doesn't have the memory problem, supposedly). That's not what I have though. I am using the .DLL file that someone recommended fixes the issue (and it does) with "unsupported video card."

But for some reason, it's just when I try to create a custom game\use mods I appreciate your input. Trying to think of what else it could be.

Some say it didn't. I've used cracked exe not DLL.

I broke down and ended up buying it on GoG. I didn't really know or trust what GoG was--but damn, best purchase I've made this month. $10 fixed my issue, and I have the original discs still so I can use the editor.

Also, GoG is DRM free, which is great because I just have to put this installer on a disc and keep it with my others and I'm all set. Eat your heart out, Steam.

Unfortunately, I do not know what was causing the problem.

So the STEAM version doesn't fix the Unsupported Video Card?

As far as I know, Steam doesn't carry it (that was the first place I checked). I'm just saying GoG offers it DRM free, which means I can throw it on a disc and have it in the future. Steam doesn't do that.