How to make X-COM FPS

My brother and I came up with a cool idea before Interceptor came out about how you could have the micro management of bases, with FPS for some of the gameplay (a la X-COM Alliance) and big dogfights in space in the vein of X-Wing.

Too many genres in one game? No, devs just aren't thinking big enough - it would be awesome :D

And yes, we did find it a bit spooky, and ultimately disappointing, that both of those genres came to pass (in the case of Alliance it never quite came to fruition) after we'd had lengthy discussions about it back in the day.

If only we'd been as hardcore as Jake and actually took up game design and followed that dream ;)

Print a reasonably large photo of arms sticking out the corner of a photo frame with a gun pointing away and tape it to the bottom of your monitor. There, anything on your screen will become a FPS, even Microsoft Excel! You've got to supply your own sound effects for some games though.

After seeing a tv thingy on Call of Duty while channel surfing the other day, I got my first look at that game. Didn't think much of it at all. A bit off as I used to play games like the Doom series, Hexen and Quake almost religiously between the X-Com games, but these days I find them so passé. Having a right hand for an avatar does get a bit boring after a while!

- NKF