XCOM pictures come to life

Hobbes

PC Gamer chat. They ask some bloody stupid questions.

The XCOM: Enemy Unknown screenshots that have been released so far have shown lots of Xbox controller command prompts, we asked if the PC build would use a similar system.

“No, no, no. Nooo. Oh man, no. I wouldn’t do that to you, are you kidding me? No,” he said. That’s six noes there, folks.

“We have a team that’s doing the PC UI, and there are some elements where it can make sense to use the base, like when we have menus and things like that, but our tactical UI is a standalone PC tactical UI.”

Yep - I would say that instead of asking the same questions we've seen before, recap the facts we know (but that some may not of course) with a few intro paragraphs and get onto the new stuff.

Then again I suspect that the more interesting bits might be in the magazine and that's why it looks a bit like they've not asked anything new.

I've got lots of questions I'd like to ask, but nobody even acknowledges receipt of my emails :blush:

• 2 weeks later...
Is it him, is it him? No, it's a series of scrappy Eastern European games that recreate some of the strategy mechanics but fail to capture the heart and soul of X-Com. Smack! Bad dog!

The bloody bastard. UFO:After series did a lot of things much better than X-COM. MOST, if you ask me. Except acquiring the licence and using the name.

A free camera immediately stands XCOM apart from X-Com's locked isometric perspective. The purist in me mutters bitterly, but given the attention to visual detail here,...

Ok, that settles it. He wants a complete redo, nothing short - and more even less - will satisfy that creep. GO BURN THE DAMN TIME UNITS IN THE ORIGINAL, that is what you want, right?! Why is he even looking for a new X-COM?!

With time units gone, bases restricted to one, special abilities introduced and console versions planned, it is, of course, all but an impossibility that XCOM will escape uproar as a result of having the temerity to change things. But, speaking as that worried old dog who's been let down time and again, from what I've seen I am firmly reassured that the core spirit of X-Com does indeed seem to live inside this remake, even if I might quibble about some of the details.

Oh really, free camera brings out the disgust, but single base reassures you of the "core spirit", DAMNIT?!

:suppresses a WHOLE LOT of swearing, which is bound to cost me my health at some point:

:takes a deep breath, removing the need for more oxygen:

Well damn, this article was not very insightful.

First thing I'll want to mod when it come out is the voices of the soldiers. They sound like their day jobs are spouting hollywood cliches and generally sucking. How can a super special elite unit of extra-terrestrial-hunting soldiers sound like a group of morons? Surely these guys are screened on their intelligence at some point and real world elite soldiers don't talk like Rambo, they can actually be pretty intelligent.

I watched the vids on the first page of this thread and paused it a few times. Noticed some interesting things...

Events eta dates for monthly reports, research, manufacture etc.

The memorial - probably a place where your dead soldiers are listed.

Alien materials has a typo in the research project description... Tut tut tut...

Medikits have two charges only, and their description might suggest the stimulant and painkiller functions no longer have an effect or indeed are no longer needed?

Only 1 proper base... cause console players can't count to two I suppose. Though the interceptor screen suggests you can perhaps have small interception bases around the world.

Was initially excited but getting a bit worried Jock Solomon is not the right guy to do this.

Oh really, free camera brings out the disgust, but single base reassures you of the "core spirit", DAMNIT?!

He's pointing out that despite those things, he still thinks the game is a faithful remake.

Only 1 proper base... cause console players can't count to two I suppose.

Or that PC players are using all their cores making that one base look really really good and simply can't cope with processing anything else.

That is why I mostly piss on other reviews. The only best review is the actual me playing the game.

It is just a preview.

He's pointing out that despite those things, he still thinks the game is a faithful remake.

I know, I was just a bit

drunk

annoyed yesterday, soooooo the introductory spit over UFO series got me worked up a bit. It was obvious that the article was "collected thoughts on what we've seen".

Personally I don't think this game is a faithful remake and I'm very glad for that. So far most changes (a personal opinion) seem for the better, except a single base.

Yup - its just his impressions of what we've seen in other videos so it's up to the individual what to make of that. If you listen to everything anyone says about the game you will go mad :argh:

It sounds like he's had real experience of watching the actual game demonstration though (not to be confused with a hands-on demo) and that the videos we've seen were probably taken from that demonstration.

As for the voices, I actually hope that depending on your character's nationality they'll say different things in different languages. Maybe even be bold and have some of it with subtitles - that would be awesome. I wouldn't mid the clich

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome home, Kret! BTW, do you have any info on ALTAR forums? Gone forever?

Sorry, have absolutely no info on that.

More XCom info today, I believe.

There has been, don't think there's anymore for the rest of today, but it does look like the juiciest info will be on tomorrow. If I'm not mistaken, should start at 16:30 CET and some more from 21:00 - 22:00 (CET). Note that times are based on active daylight savings, so adjust accordingly.

• 4 weeks later...