Kicked Open

Thorondor

The entire Jagged Alliance Online development team at Cliffhanger and all of us here at gamigo are thrilled (and more than a little bit proud) to be opening things up to all players. It's time for the bold to step up and start forming their own soldier-of-fortune organization for exciting, round-based battles directly from their browsers ─ no beta key required.

So goes the brief for the now Open Beta, and everyone's invited! You can read the rest over here.

Yeah, let me know. I'm not sure I can be bothered to find out why I'm going to hate it myself. I've been hurt too many times to think it might be good!

But I think making it with unity is going to mean it almost has to be a bit dumbed down. Of course if they have full source maybe not since they can throw in Qt or something for better GUI support. Of course it looks like a very "next gen" minimal interface so looks like they didn't.

Don't let me put you off trying it. Give it a go and make your own minds up.

I found the controls/ user interface on JA - Back in Action too cumbersome and difficult to be fun.

I found JA online to be too dumbed down and simplified to be fun for me. If felt more like playing Farmville than playing a Jagged Alliance game.

Jaggedallianceville lol

Actually that's about the best I'd expect from a browser version of JA using unity but there's a lot of fanbois so I didn't want to be too vocal.

It (JA:BIA) is getting slammed in reviews for ridiculous hardness, steep learning curve and general lack of player 'friendliness'. Kiss of death for me. It's 2012, people haven't learned to make a fun, playable game YET?

THe problem is the problem faced by /all/ games, as they were way back yonder and now, and as it will be in the future: People want perfection.

Which, I don't care what you think, can't actually be obtained. You can get CLOSE, but there's always going to be something that /could/ be tweaked.

The differene between now and way back when?

The Internet. It lets people be much, MUCH louder with their complaints.

THe problem is the problem faced by /all/ games, as they were way back yonder and now, and as it will be in the future: People want perfection.

Which, I don't care what you think, can't actually be obtained. You can get CLOSE, but there's always going to be something that /could/ be tweaked.

The differene between now and way back when?

The Internet. It lets people be much, MUCH louder with their complaints.

I don't hear anyone bitching about how poor JA2 was/is. People still singing it's praises today - 13 or so years later. The same with X-Com. People are bitching today because some of these brand new games are nowhere near up to the standard of gameplay which was achieved almost 20 years ago. The only thing improved in most cases are the graphics, and for me personally graphics are the least important part of my enjoyment of a game. I would rather play Rebelstar from 1986 than play either of these two new so called JA games, and I really mean that.

The difficulty from BIA probably comes from the awful controls and likely due to spamming waves of enemies. I didn't play it but it looks like you really have to micromanage your guys, and it's all in realtime. To me that's the most horrible gameplay imaginable.

I think it's foolish to make a game like that anyway because there's so many high production value rtwp games. Who cares?

With turn based game the people who are too dumb to handle it will see it's a strategy game and stay away in the first place, and there's quite a big fan base for it. It's just not easy to make and doesn't translate well to a console so you will seldom if ever get any big budget games like that again except continuations of old series like civ.