Firaxis remaking XCOM: Enemy Unknown

CapnKill

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

*yawn* while I hope something nice will come out of this, the idea of a new X-COM game has kinda turned into the truth about Roswell - every once in a while someone makes another explanation for the crash and the story keeps changing, without anything real actually coming out.

Yawn? Interesting... did not expect that reaction from a strategycore member that's for sure. I understand that all the remakes thus far have fallen short, but this is the first time a company with a real budget has taken a crack at it, and from the sounds of things it is in very good hands.

Yawn? Interesting... did not expect that reaction from a strategycore member that's for sure. I understand that all the remakes thus far have fallen short, but this is the first time a company with a real budget has taken a crack at it, and from the sounds of things it is in very good hands.

In his defense, that's what was said about 2K before it got turned into an FPS...

I think you'll have to forgive some of us old timers that have become a bit jaded with the whole cycle of hope and despair repeating itself over and over. I'm optimistic about this one myself, but as always we'll have to wait and see.

On a side note, I vaguely seem to recall Firaxis had gotten their hands on the title a while back during the whole pass-the-parcel phase with the title.

edit:

If someone hasn't seen this already: https://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/arc...loves-xcom.aspx

They managed to put a smile on my face and make me relive those exciting and tense moments of UFO:Enemy Unknown. I guess I should give the game one more spin!

Now, I like the mindset these guys have going on here. Certainly raises my hopes a lot more.

- NKF

*yawn* while I hope something nice will come out of this, the idea of a new X-COM game has kinda turned into the truth about Roswell - every once in a while someone makes another explanation for the crash and the story keeps changing, without anything real actually coming out.

Every once in a while? We haven't received such news since X-Com Genesis. A new strategy X-Com? this is a first for me. Open source remakes don't count, this is the first time we could be seeing at a real X-Com revival attempt :) If this goes well, we could see the continuation of the saga, or maybe remakes of TFTD and Apoc :(

This is it.

This version promises to be true to the franchise (unlike the other "XCOM", which I'm still very skeptical about), and Firaxis is the right company for the job. Given their track record and experience with this particular genre, if they can't pull this off, nobody can.

Personally, Firaxis has never disappointed me. Civ V's debatable, given it's ongoing bugginess, DLC system and needless Steam integration, but even then I consider that an unfortunate mishap, and still stand by them. I hope they don't give in to 2K's pressure and go down the same road with XCOM:EU, though...

At any rate, again, if anyone can do it, it's the guys at Firaxis! Go, team! :)

Don't you see? It's all part of the aliens' plan!

First they spend years trying to convince us that the war didn't exist after all and keep pumping out all the lies about the remakes and unofficial successors - "oh yeah, we love the original X-COM" - when in fact their Ethereal masters on Mars are making them say that. Now it's their next step - they've infiltrated a major game company and will try to keep spinning stories about X-COM's comeback just to give us hope.

And what's their next step? I tell you - they are going to advance their plans and awake T'Leth and have the alien city come out of the waters 30 years sooner than we expected and we won't be prepared. That's why they keep the story that the world is going to end in 2012 - they are already starting to brainwash the human population to become slaves of their alien empire!

[RUMOUR]I hear this version has been in development for three years.[/RUMOUR]

Not so much rumour really - someone did mention something about having "insider knowledge" of two X-COM games in the works ages back (we're talking over 18 months at least) but I think we just threw it on the rumour pile at the time. It's not like we could have ever had it confirmed anyway so no fuss was made about a heads-up from an unknown source.

It's not like we have the weight of large magazine sites to throw around to get such insider knowledge anyway so sadly, whilst I would hope we'd get a good interview with Firaxis somewhere down the line, I know that we're going to be behind at least a dozen other magazine-y sites who get exclusive interviews first.

I hate the phrase "exclusive interviews". If you intrview someone, it is exclusive aside from the rare times you'd do it wiht another site as well.

So many X-com wannabees have crashed and burned over the years.

I sure hope Firaxis succeeds here.

It's heresy, but I wouldn't mind if they did the 'move in real-time until enemy is spotted' like the UFO series.

I'll wonder how the staff at 'Xenonauts' is taking this news.

What? That's totally crazy.

[black seven to mother bird. The sheep are poking the fence. I repeat the sheep are poking the fence!]

I KNEW IT! :(:( ARE MONITORING THIS FORUM! ;) ;) :):( :( :):(

Btw, just saw the interview today - I'm a bit less skeptic of the whole thing right now since they seem to share a lot of what we love on the game. :)

24 things RPS want from the new X-Com.

Some are good, some are idiotic.

Can't help thinking that whoever wrote that stopped playing the series after the first game. A lot of stuff he's requesting made it into Apocalypse, which was a heck of a lot deeper then UFO.

While Apoc is a great game, it was never as popular, and my bet has always been that this was because of its additional complexity - each new bit of technology the aliens introduced, for example, may cause you to entirely rethink your tactics in battle. It takes an age to get anywhere (even keeping in mind that just about everyone plays it in realtime, despite the option of turnbased gameplay), but you're always being introduced to new stuff... and this is keeping in mind the game development was considered unfinished.

UFO is a lot more fast paced (you can win an entire campaign on your day off if you know what you're doing), and battles really don't change all that much. Even if you didn't get handed the "best gun" very early on, just about everything on the battlefield is lucky to survive a single hit, so knowing how to play the game is far more important then having a fully unlocked tech tree.

Er, putting aside the matter of psionics.

So much as I hate to suggest it, as much as I'd love to see them consider Apoc's features and level of content the benchmark to work from, I suspect they'd be better off sticking to the simplicity of the first game.

Personally, Apoc never hooked me due to the complete shift in art style that defined UFO and TFTD. And another thing that prevented me from really appreciating the increased complexity was the atrocious alien design. And well, some armour and vehicle design as well.

On the whole, for me the art department was an utter screw-up compared to that of the prequels.

I think Apoc combat system is the best of the series because of the choice it allows between TB and RT. Both combat systems were good on their own. TB is probably the natural choice for UFO/TFTD players when you first play it but afterwards I completely converted to RT - it is fast, challenging and fun.

What made the TB/RT system more complex and demanding than the UFO/TFTD is more related to squad and map sizes, which grew from both games to Apoc.

You know what would be really good for this project ?

Firaxis /2K hiring original author of X-Com as a consultant.

It would be cool if they hired John Broomhall to do the music - he did the original and the music, to me, is one of the most important parts of that game.

I mean, when I first started playing it, the music made me so scared I actually played for a long time with the music off.

It would be cool if they hired John Broomhall to do the music - he did the original and the music, to me, is one of the most important parts of that game.

I mean, when I first started playing it, the music made me so scared I actually played for a long time with the music off.

Actualy he made pretty awsome remakes: https://lorcan.freelanzer.com/

Well, after the previous disaster of an announcement (XCOM), this is great news in my book! Being one of the grumpy old X-Com veterans, I'll not pop the champagne yet, but Firaxis is one of the very few AAA developers out there that could possibly get this more or less right.

*goes back to hiding*

Being one of the grumpy old X-Com veterans

You can't be an X-COM veteran without being grumpy :(

You need to be able to complain about when your Commander just misses a full autoshot on an alien standing right next to him, or when you hit the wrong button during intercept and send your Interceptor on a kamikaze mission against a Battleship, or when the freaking civilian pops up from nowhere in the path of your perfectly aimed shot, or when you spend all your TUs trying to kill a zombie and at the end you get the smiling Chryssie looking at you and 0 TUs, or when you get a base attack on your first month and discover that all your soldiers are psi retards.

I mean, life in X-COM is hard, miserable and usually quite short. That's why we're grumpy :)

So many X-com wannabees have crashed and burned over the years.

I sure hope Firaxis succeeds here.

It's heresy, but I wouldn't mind if they did the 'move in real-time until enemy is spotted' like the UFO series.

I'll wonder how the staff at 'Xenonauts' is taking this news.

Well, I hope that Xenonauts can exist alongside this new offering. I've already pre-ordered Xenonauts and I would encourage others to do so. I can count on the fingers of one hand the amount of pc games I have bought over the past two or three years, so to have two turn based games based on my all time fave game coming out at the same time is no big deal, just great news. Please support Chris England and his team as well!