ACM (UFO Aftershock)

Okim

Does anybody know a program similar to Virtual PC that can emulate 3d graphic cards? VPC always has a vga compatible device that does nt work with UFO AS :(

P.S.: still can`t solve the problem with UFO AS not launching at win 7...

UFO with analyze still does not work :(

EDITED:

A wierd thing has just happend. After installing catalyst 11.10 the ufo has finally launched. Played the first mission without problems.

It seems that ATI driver was causing the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys.

An update is ready for UFO AS ACM mod (ACM 2.0).

There are only two 'fixes' that were made, but those are actually major:

1. reduced loudness of all weapons (GOD bless adobe audition!). Tested sounds on m4, akm, pistols and shotguns. All other guns shoul work as they were encoded in similar way to those tested.

2. fixed bug with cyborg-drones. This one needs testing as i`m unable to spend lots of time for UFO AS due to some family related time consuming duties :(

Here is an archive: https://www.okim.nickersonm.com/ufo/ACM20.rar

I wanted to include missing glossary images for the new stuff, but those are quite time consuming and will be left for some future update.

Update is fully save-compatible, so there is no need to start anew.

Okim, I hail your dedication!

I'm still perfecting my French localization of the game (it was uterly bad), and I had spotted many bad informations in the original english version: I didn't want to correct it, as I don't use it.

(Good french loc here: https://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=20106)

If you didn't corrected it in your own english localization file, maybe someday I'll correct the vanilia english one and you could carry these over yours.

Okim, I hail your dedication!

I'm still perfecting my French localization of the game (it was uterly bad), and I had spotted many bad informations in the original english version: I didn't want to correct it, as I don't use it.

(Good french loc here: https://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=20106)

If you didn't corrected it in your own english localization file, maybe someday I'll correct the vanilia english one and you could carry these over yours.

Sorry, don`t get it. There are some grammar/description mistakes or what do you mean?

Sorry, don`t get it. There are some grammar/description mistakes or what do you mean?

Maybe the patches corrected the english file only.

Per exemple, in French one, what can carry the spaceshuttle we build is false, for items and men.

That is as the French official localization file is still from Aftershock 1.0, or a beta version.

• 1 month later...

ACM20

Hello okim,

Thank you for the acm20, i have sum issue, there's weapon that i can't produce i.e 5.56 rifle, 5.56 combat rifle and lots other, seems like there's no factory to produce them. the icon for ths factory looks like the laputa lab. the weapon that i have atm i got it from cultist drop. the wargot will arrive in 12 days or so. and I would like to prepare the squad.

May be I miss some research. i'm not sure.

Thanks

pik

Im sure the answer is a few pages back in this topic. The latest version of Okim's ACM no longer allows you construction of more advanced firearms from the start. You'll have to get them from your enemies' cold dead hands. Once you research the right technology ("Cultist weapons" i believe), you'll be able to produce ammunition for them, though. Until then, even if you get the weapon your ammo supply will be scarce. This includes ALL weapons marked with that laputa icon instead of factory one. Usually those used by former soviet coutries.

Personally, I didn't like it when I saw it at first, but I realised after playing it that the gameplay is even more interesting and forces you to attack Cultists as soon as they arrive to get some advanced equippment. I still miss real weapon names though. Equipping a soldier with dual Advanced 9mm SMGs just doesn't sound right.

Im sure the answer is a few pages back in this topic. The latest version of Okim's ACM no longer allows you construction of more advanced firearms from the start. You'll have to get them from your enemies' cold dead hands. Once you research the right technology ("Cultist weapons" i believe), you'll be able to produce ammunition for them, though. Until then, even if you get the weapon your ammo supply will be scarce. This includes ALL weapons marked with that laputa icon instead of factory one. Usually those used by former soviet coutries.

Personally, I didn't like it when I saw it at first, but I realised after playing it that the gameplay is even more interesting and forces you to attack Cultists as soon as they arrive to get some advanced equippment. I still miss real weapon names though. Equipping a soldier with dual Advanced 9mm SMGs just doesn't sound right.

Thank you for the fast reply and explanation. Now I can attack and attack cultist for their weapons :)

pik

Hello Okim, long time no see. :) I'm thrilled that you're still releasing new versions.

I've just upgraded from 1.3 and love all new things: re-organization of armoury, new models everything. Still, I believe there is one important bug I need to report: the knives. Anyway, I believe it's a bug, since you didn't mention it in change logs. The problem is that throwing knives are no longer Commando weapons. Yes, everyone can use them now, and the result is that I don't use any other close combat weapons (like shotguns or guns). It was already gread as a Commando weapons, but now I don't really need much else before Wargots with how fast and powerful knives are. (I play on Superhero level.)

If I'm mistaken and the knives aren't training depended intentionally, then as much as I love and admire your mod, I must say it's a horrible, horrible idea. They make all handguns and shotguns obsolete, at least the less-to-moderately advanced ones.

Best regards!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I didn't experience any crashes with ACM 1.7, in fact none at all since 1.4 (was crashing when trying to equip cyborg mortar on equip squad screen, never used that in newer versions again, so I don't know if it was solved) and I'm playing quite a lot. Aftershock ACM 1.7 is my notebook all-time-installed evergreen :clapping:

Tried on WinXP 32bit and Win7 64bit.

• 4 weeks later...
When I ask for recruits from the various factions, they all start at level one. Previous to installing the mod, I could get recruits already several levels higher - more in balance with my soldiers' higher level. Might this be related to your mod somehow? If so, can you fix it?

When I ask for recruits from the various factions, they all start at level one. Previous to installing the mod, I could get recruits already several levels higher - more in balance with my soldiers' higher level. Might this be related to your mod somehow? If so, can you fix it?

It is a mod`s feature. Represents your superior fighting experience and the need of new recruits to learn how to combat the enemy, how to cooperate within the team, etc. etc.

If you didn't know, here are the 22 weapons&ammo and 1 research TEXTS included in the DotEmu AS French LocalisationPack.vfs file. There are no such items ingame (EDIT: I mean in vanilia DotEmu game).

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/339::SHORT_NAME"

LOCALE ".50AE JHP"

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/339::NAME"

LOCALE ".50AE JHP Ammo"

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/339::SHORT_DESCRIPTION"

LOCALE "This is the standard .50 caliber Action Express bullet used by some Desert Eagle models. It is devastating against ligthly armoured targets.<BR>Our Ordnance Factories can manufacture .50AE JHP ammo."

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/340::SHORT_NAME"

LOCALE ".50AE FMJ"

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/340::NAME"

LOCALE ".50AE FMJ Ammo"

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/340::SHORT_DESCRIPTION"

LOCALE "This is the standard .50 caliber Action Express bullet used by some Desert Eagle models. This particular version is encased in a full metal jacket, resulting in excellent armor penetrating capabilities.<BR>Our Ordnance Factories can manufacture .50AE FMJ ammo."

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/341::SHORT_NAME"

LOCALE "Desert Eagle .50AE"

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/341::NAME"

LOCALE "Desert Eagle .50 Action Express"

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/341::SHORT_DESCRIPTION"

LOCALE "This heavy, semi-automatic pistol offers a degree of stopping power that has earned it the nickname "hand cannon." This version of the gun is designed to use .50cal Action Express rounds that inflict a great deal of damage upon biological targets, and have the ability to penetrate moderately armored targets as well. The small magazine capacity (seven rounds) and slow reload rate of the Desert Eagle are definite drawbacks in heavy combat.<BR>Desert Eagle pistols can be manufactured in our Basic Weapons Factories. No special training is required for this weapon."

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/342::SHORT_NAME"

LOCALE "Wakizashi"

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/342::NAME"

LOCALE "Wakizashi"

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/342::SHORT_DESCRIPTION"

LOCALE "Another traditional weapon of Samurai warriors of ancient Earth. Far from the most effective weapon on the modern battlefield, a Wakizashi is better than nothing when facing a limited number of opponents in melee combat.<BR>Our Basic Weapon Factories can manufacture Wakizashi. In order to use this weapon, a soldier must have commando equipment training."

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/343::SHORT_NAME"

LOCALE "Satchel charge"

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/343::NAME"

LOCALE "Satchel charge"

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/343::SHORT_DESCRIPTION"

LOCALE "The satchel charge is a bag containing a large quantity of high explosives, along with a timing mechanism similar to that of a hand grenade. It is used to destroy walls and other obstacles. Caution must be used when throwing this weapon as its blast radius is almost as great as how far you can toss it!<BR>Our Ordnance Factories can manufacture satchel charges. In order to use this weapon, a soldier must have Deployable Equipment training."

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/344::SHORT_NAME"

LOCALE "HK G3KA4"

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/344::NAME"

LOCALE "HK G3KA4 Assault Rifle"

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/344::SHORT_DESCRIPTION"

LOCALE "This powerful rifle was a popular assault weapon commonly used by 20th century Earth militaries. The HK G3KA4 assault rifle has a 20-round magazine of 7.62x51mm rounds that can be fired singly or in three-shot bursts.<BR>HK G3KA4 assault rifles can be manufactured in our Basic Weapons Factories. No special training is required to use this weapon."

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/345::SHORT_NAME"

LOCALE "4.7mm caseless"

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/345::NAME"

LOCALE "4.7x33mm caseless Ammo"

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/345::SHORT_DESCRIPTION"

LOCALE "This is the 4.7x33mm caseless bullet used by the HK G11K2 assault rifle.<BR>Our Ordnance Factories can manufacture 4.7x33mm caseless ammo."

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/346::SHORT_NAME"

LOCALE "HK G11K2"

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/346::NAME"

LOCALE "HK G11K2 Assault Rifle"

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/346::SHORT_DESCRIPTION"

LOCALE "This rapid-fire assault rifle was a revolutionary design of the latter 20th century. The HK G11K2 assault rifle has a 45-round magazine of 4.7mm caseless rounds that can be fired singly or in three-shot bursts.<BR>HK G11K2 assault rifles can be manufactured in our Basic Weapons Factories. No special training is required to use this weapon."

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/347::SHORT_NAME"

LOCALE ".45ACP JHP"

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/347::NAME"

LOCALE ".45ACP JHP Ammo"

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/347::SHORT_DESCRIPTION"

LOCALE "This is a standard bullet used by all projectile weapons that chamber .45ACP ammunition. It has a soft tip, and is best suited for use against lightly armored targets.<BR>Our Ordnance Factories can manufacture .45ACP JHP ammo."

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/348::SHORT_NAME"

LOCALE ".45ACP FMJ"

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/348::NAME"

LOCALE ".45ACP FMJ Ammo"

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/348::SHORT_DESCRIPTION"

LOCALE "This is a standard bullet used in all projectile weapons chambered for .45ACP ammunition. The armor-piercing (AP) version features a hardened tip that is designed to penetrate lightly armored targets.<BR>Our Ordnance Factories can manufacture .45ACP FMJ ammo."

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/349::SHORT_NAME"

LOCALE "Colt M1911A1"

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/349::NAME"

LOCALE "Colt M1911A1 Pistol"

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/349::SHORT_DESCRIPTION"

LOCALE "This classic automatic pistol saw almost a century of use by Earth militaries and law enforcement agencies, a testament to the weapon's robust design and effectiveness against unarmored biological targets. The small magazine capacity (seven rounds) of the Colt M1911A1 is a definite drawback in heavy combat.<BR>Colt M1911A1 pistols can be manufactured in our Basic Weapons Factories. No special training is required for this weapon."

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/350::SHORT_NAME"

LOCALE "Slug"

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/350::NAME"

LOCALE "Shotgun Slug Cartridge"

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/350::SHORT_DESCRIPTION"

LOCALE "This is a standard shell used in all shotguns. It contains a single large slug, encased by a sabot, designed to pierce light body armor.<BR>Our Ordnance Factories can manufacture shotgun slug cartridges."

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/351::SHORT_NAME"

LOCALE "Flechette"

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/351::NAME"

LOCALE "Shotgun Flechette Cartridge"

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/351::SHORT_DESCRIPTION"

LOCALE "This is a standard shell used in all shotguns. Instead of small round pellets, the shell contains several light, hard alloy needles which are designed to penetrate light body armor at longer distances.<BR>Our Ordnance Factories can manufacture shotgun flechette cartridges."

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/352::SHORT_NAME"

LOCALE "MAC-10 SMG"

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/352::NAME"

LOCALE "MAC M10 Submachine Gun"

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/352::SHORT_DESCRIPTION"

LOCALE "The Ingram Mac-10, as it was commonly known at the time, was a submachine gun widely used by undercover law enforcement agencies on Earth in the mid-20th century. It carries 30 rounds of .45cal ACP ammunition. The small size of this weapon and its short barrel result in low accuracy at any distance beyond short range.<BR>Our Basic Weapon Factories can manufacture MAC M10 submachine guns. No special training is required to use this weapon."

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/353::SHORT_NAME"

LOCALE "HK UMP SMG"

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/353::NAME"

LOCALE "HK UMP 45 Submachine Gun"

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/353::SHORT_DESCRIPTION"

LOCALE "This compact, lightweight submachine gun was popular with Earth law enforcement and special operations teams in the late 20th century. Equipped with a 25-round magazine, it can fire bursts of .45cal ACP ammunition with good accuracy in short to medium-range engagements against unarmored or lightly armored targets.<BR>Our Basic Weapon Factories can manufacture the HK UMP 45. No special training is required to use this weapon."

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/354::SHORT_NAME"

LOCALE "FN Minimi"

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/354::NAME"

LOCALE "FN Minimi Mk.46 mod.0 Machinegun"

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/354::SHORT_DESCRIPTION"

LOCALE "The FN Minimi Mk.46 mod.0 is a scaled-down version of the FN Minimi light machinegun, and was popular with Earth special operations military forces starting in the late 20th century. It fires 5.56x45mm rounds at a high sustained rate. The weapon is quite reliable, has excellent range, and was the favored replacement for the M60. The FN Minimi can fire a variety of ammunition types, including armor-piercing rounds.<BR>Our Basic Weapon Factories can manufacture the FN Minimi machinegun.<BR>Heavy equipment training is required to operate it."

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/355::SHORT_NAME"

LOCALE "XM25"

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/355::NAME"

LOCALE "XM25 Grenade Launcher"

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/355::SHORT_DESCRIPTION"

LOCALE "Originally designed by Earth arms experts at the end of the 20th Century, the XM25 is a 6-shot, magazine-fed, "bullpup" configuration grenade launcher that fires a variety of 20mm grenade types (the original fires 25mm grenades but we desired compatibility with our under-barrel grenade launchers). It packs a significant punch and has good range.<BR>Our Basic Weapon Factories can manufacture the XM25 grenade launcher.<BR>Rocket equipment training is required to operate it."

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/356::SHORT_NAME"

LOCALE ".338 Lapua"

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/356::NAME"

LOCALE ".338 Lapua FMJ"

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/356::SHORT_DESCRIPTION"

LOCALE "This is the standard bullet used with the L115A1 sniper rifle. It is an armor-piercing (AP) round that was specifically designed for the sniper role. It will easily penetrate moderately-armored targets at ranges comparable to that of the heavier, more powerful .50cal BMG round, and is effective against even heavily-armored enemies.<BR>Our Ordnance Factories can manufacture .338 Lapua FMJ ammo."

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/357::SHORT_NAME"

LOCALE "L115A1"

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/357::NAME"

LOCALE "L115A1 Sniper Rifle"

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/357::SHORT_DESCRIPTION"

LOCALE "The Accuracy International Super Magnum is better known by its military designation of L115A1. This lightweight rifle is an excellent sniper weapon, and was specifically designed to replace cumbersome and much-heavier .50cal rifles. It sports a 5-round magazine of .338 Lapua (8.60x70mm) ammunition that delivers superb stopping power at extreme range. When fitted with optional optical sights, the L115A1's already superlative accuracy is greatly improved.<BR>Our Basic Weapon Factories can manufacture the L115A1.<BR>Sniper equipment training is required to operate it."

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/358::SHORT_NAME"

LOCALE "Laser MG"

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/358::NAME"

LOCALE "Laser Machinegun"

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/358::SHORT_DESCRIPTION"

LOCALE "Derived in part from alien laser designs, the human laser machinegun provides significant stopping power. Its accuracy can be improved by adding optical sights. Overall, the laser machinegun makes a quite effective support weapon, in spite of its considerable weight and bulk.<BR>Laser machineguns and power cells can be manufactured at our Energy Weapons Factories.<BR>Heavy equipment training is required to operate it."

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/359::SHORT_NAME"

LOCALE "D Laser MG"

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/359::NAME"

LOCALE "Drone Laser Machinegun"

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/359::SHORT_DESCRIPTION"

LOCALE "This weapon is an add-on that is mounted in a drone's equipment slot.<BR>The drone laser machinegun is similar in function and effect to the laser machineguns used by our soldiers. It is long-ranged, accurate, and has a high rate of fire. The major disadvantage of this weapon is that it depletes power cells very quickly, and often runs out of 'juice' during a mission if not used judiciously.<BR>Our Energy Weapon Factories can manufacture drone laser machineguns."

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/360::SHORT_NAME"

LOCALE "D Heavy MG"

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/360::NAME"

LOCALE "Drone Heavy Machinegun"

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "Equipment/360::SHORT_DESCRIPTION"

LOCALE "This weapon is an add-on that is mounted in a drone's equipment slot.<BR>The drone heavy machinegun uses the powerful .50cal Browning round to devastating effect on targets. It has a rapid rate of fire, and has moderate accuracy out to long range. The major disadvantage of this weapon is that it uses ammunition quickly, and often runs out of ammo during a mission if not used judiciously. Fortunately, few enemies can survive a single burst from this weapon.<BR>Our Basic Weapon Factories can manufacture drone heavy machineguns."

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "TechDesc/507::NAME"

LOCALE "Advanced Assault Rifle Blueprints"

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "TechDesc/507::PREREQUISITE"

LOCALE "In order to build advanced assault rifles, we must draft blueprints for these weapons."

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "TechDesc/507::COMPLETE"

LOCALE "These blueprints allow our Basic Weapon Factories to produce replicas of some advanced assault rifles that were available prior to the Reticulan invasion."

END_OF_STR_RES

STR_RES

ID "TechDesc/507::VISIBLE"

LOCALE "After we develop these blueprints, we can manufacture advanced assault rifles."

END_OF_STR_RES

If you didn't know, here are the 22 weapons&ammo and 1 research TEXTS included in the DotEmu AS French LocalisationPack.vfs file. There are no such items ingame.

I recognize most of those items from shadowarrior's weapon rebalance mod, i might not have researched the couple items i didn't recognize - what they might be doing in an ACM build is beyond me

what does it have to do with ACM? I can recognise some of the texts and the tech is definitely mine, but i don`t get it why have you posted it here?

The point was just to give you ideas. These english texts come from the vanilia french(!) LocalizationPack.vfs from the Aftershock sold by DotEmu https://www.dotemu.com/fr/telecharger-jeu/1489/ufo-aftershock (but ingame the items don't appear).

I thought these were coming from ideas the Altar devs didn't have time to put in the game.

I was surprised by this DotEmu file, as there are no such texts in all other past AS localization french files.