New XCOM trailer

Gimli

Hehe...okey, sorry for that. I just easily get confused sometimes. But I will leave this debate or otherwise I will be stuck here for weeks to come :P Sorry for the babbling of mine...

Any (civil) debate is a good debate, so do stick around!

Can't wait for E3!!!

Is anyone here at SC attending the show?! I'd love it if we could get some "home-grown" info on games like XCOM and Sword of the Stars 2.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Gollop brothers Didn't make TFTD. They were hired as consultants, because Microprose owned the rights at the time. Thats probably why I only really liked Xcom 1 and Xcom 3.

Anyways, I guess everyone heard the rumours a few years ago about 2 Xcom games coming out eventually. One was to be a FPS the other was to be a turned based game similar to Xcom I and that Firaxis was secretly working on it.

But for the last 3 years I havn't heard anything since, so it doesn't look promising.

Hey Julius, thanks for your input but it's kind of in completely the wrong place :P And yes we're the first to know about pretty much EVERY X-Com rumour that rears it's head here lol I have a question though, how can you like UFO but not like TFTD? They're basically the same game with different sprites...

TEXT DELETED

As for mentioning TFTD, I thought people were talking about Xcom and Xcom like games here.

TFTD; was definitely not Xcom I; The gamescapes were too...too repetitive and boring and didn't have an interesting development as you went along. Also there was nothing new game design wise was that created. I was looking forward to a Next Step in development. I had to wait unitl Xcom 3 for that.

Xcom 3 should have been Xcom 2, actually.

TFTD was called a "Money Grab" on the part of Microprose. I'm surprised you didn't know that.

Firstly, let me warn you you've just put yourself on very thin ice. I simply pointed out that you were commenting in the wrong place and you personally attack me. Oh and hilarious jibe by the way, I'm the newbie right? Course I am... I've been with this site for way longer than StrategyCore has even existed in it's current incarnation and if you haven't noticed I'm site staff so be careful what you say or you may find that your next post becomes your last. We're all entitled to our own opinions here but not at the expense of other members...

TFTD; was definitely not Xcom I; The gamescapes were too...too repetitive and boring and didn't have an interesting development as you went along. Also there was nothing new game design wise was that created. I was looking forward to a Next Step in development. I had to wait unitl Xcom 3 for that.

Xcom 3 should have been Xcom 2, actually.

TFTD was called a "Money Grab" on the part of Microprose. I'm surprised you didn't know that.

Of course I know what TFTD was, it was born out of impatience while Apocalypse was still in development. As such the software was virtually unchanged between the first two games and the biggest difference was graphical. I don't even know what you mean by 'gamescapes' do you mean the battlescape? And here's me being told I'm the one who doesn't know what I'm talking about :P I agree you're right that there was no change in game design between 1 and 2 but there wasn't really any between 2 and 3 either. It just changed the scale of the gameplay but all of the basics remained pretty much the same.

Anyway, you're welcome to your opinions, just remember that everyone else is too. You've also given me personal reason to keep you off my xmas card list, play nice with the other forumites or you'll be getting a lump of coal...

On the surface it doesn't look the same, but there lots of subtle changes between the two to games. Some good, some bad. But certainly enough to make TFTD provide a slightly different experience.

- NKF

It is odd that they've decided to use the name but not any of the canon. I think that's what all the debates have been about to date. If they REALLY wanted to capitalise on the X-Com franchise then they should have used more than just the name. It's not enough to sell the game to Commies if the story and gameplay don't reflect any parts of the games they love.

I think Silencer is right, if they'd have followed up a story like Alliance then I would be really excited about this game, chances are I'd buy it right away or maybe even pre-order. As it is I'm going to wait for reviews/previews, other members to play the game, price to be slashed a dozen times and THEN maybe I'll get round to playing it.

It's just so baffling that they've taken the name but nothing else, I really don't understand why they think it was a good idea to pay for the name and not stick to the franchise. It's like the Starcraft name only to make a game about creating Hollywood celebrities...

They could just be withholding all the really juicy bits that would grab the attention of the older X-Com fans and only tossing out scraps to stir up a bit of controversy until it's rolled out - then go "Hah! we tricked you, it's really awesome and everything you've wished it to be!"

Of course that's taking an optimistic view on it. :P

Part of me is hoping they end up dropping their Mild Mannered Daily Planet Reporter regalia and get in some International Rescue styled outfits before the game's over. Just to stick to the period. :)

- NKF

Must say I was hoping for more info on the game... guess I can wait a bit longer before I make my mind up.

Unfortunately the FPS elements and story mode would have to grab my attention at least half as much as Portal 2 in terms of enjoyment, story and atmosphere to convince me. Not that I expect a portal gun, just some innovation would be nice.

Oh, and is it just me or is this game reminding anyone more of Apocalypse than any of the other X-COM games? Seems that they're leaking in from a different dimension which, aside from anything else, lets them put whatever aliens they want into a sequel should there be one.

I agree NKF, that IS being optimistic :P Never know though I guess hey so we can continue to hope... It certainly smacks more of Apocalypse than the first two games due to the fact there's no discernable reason for the invasion, the enemies are hideous and I don't care one iota if the good guys win or lose. At the same time though it's a very low-tech and graphically uninspired venture and for it's time Apoc was quite the opposite. Don't get me wrong the wierd face block thing is kinda cool and the aliens do look quite freaky but there's no visible variation so far in terms of troops, weapons, vehicles, or even the aforementioned aliens... So far I've seen small blobs, big blobs, floating rectangles, donut guns and blocky faced civilians... Doesn't suggest great things to me...

The mentioning of Apocalypse does actually show another trick these guys have missed though doesn't it? This black stuff could be like the Micronoids from X-Com 3 that the aliens are sending through dimension gates to conquer the world. But of course the year is wrong and the timeline is completely separate to our own... Right now everyone should be worrying about roswell, not some freaky black blob things. Quite frankly I'm not even sure if Roswell happened in this timeline as liets be honest, these aliens don't look like they even need ships...

It looks like 2K Games is removing the top rated comments from the Top comments section of the Youtube video (video in first post of this thread). Open up all comments and you'll see some comments with more likes not appearing in the Top comments. I could understand the ones with bad language being taken down, but there are some legitimate ones which are simply negative. I don't like what I'm seeing so I've asked the 2K Games representative for a response on the official forum.

Edit by BB: Seems this forum mangles links with exclamation marks in them. Luckily, this link doesn't need one in order to work.

I've got a bad feeling about this, so I'm going to quote myself to make sure the contents of the post are preserved - just in case.

@2K Elizabeth:

What's going on with the disappearing Top comments on the Youtube video? I can understand taking down the ones with bad words, but some of these don't have them, yet are still not appearing as the Top comments. Can you please explain what's going on?

I hope this isn't what I think it is. :P

Edit: I'm also adding some of the Youtube comments for you to see:

NO. STOP IT. STOP MAKING GOOD GAMES INTO FPSES. STOP. STOPSTOPSTOPSTOPSTOPSTOPSTOPST

The interview sounds promising, though it sounds like they're retreading the ground covered by the UFO: After* series in terms of troop growth (whereas the originals were a lot more subtle about it).

Also not liking the sound of the "RPG story" thing. I mean, I get how they want to "tell a story", but if they lay it on too thick they're just gonna kill the replayability aspect. I suppose it can't be helped, as soon as you slap a definitive name on an NPC, you lose the whole "player's story" thing from the originals.

Loved his reaction when asked about the fanbase response to the game - "oh crap, hoped he wasn't gonna spring that one, here goes!". The fact that he had an answer for it is promising, as it shows at the very least the fans are indeed being "listened" to.

Wow... Well... Where to begin? First off I just want to say kudos to the Gamespot guy in charge of the interview. He asked all the right questions, 'what the fans think of it', 'why the move to FPS', etc. Also that same reward is deserved by the guy answering the questions as he did a pretty good job and I dont completely hate him even though he goes through the entire thing claiming that this is somehow connected to the originals... Ugh, you'd think that would be a lesson they've learnt by now but it seems not...

However, impressed as I am by the people in this interview, the content leaves me hoping 2k folds before March next year. They mentioned too many things that I'd like to rag on for me to do them all here but I remembered a few of them which I'm going to cover now. I'll leave the rest to someone else and of course this is all just what I think so please discuss freely once I'm done :P

The interviewee mentions that they want to focus the game on what X-Com was all about, tactics and strategy. Yet it's a FPS with crazy weapons and enemies more reminiscent of Enforcer than any kind of strategy game I've ever played. This may be a generalisation and I'm sure people will disagree but in my opinion, it's not a strategy game if you're holding a shotgun... There are no tactics involved when your plan of attack is to wait for the blobs to come round the corner then blast them to pieces and hope you stay alive...

There were also multiple uses of the word RPG as well as related terms like 'classes' and 'xp'. None of this makes an X-Com game and I agree completely with BB that it sounds like an Afterxxxx title. He mentions quite late in the interview that they want to take the focus away from fielding '16 troops only 2 of which you care about' and instead have the player focus on each individual trooper. He even uses the phrase 'I've invested heavily in these guys'. Oh dear... So not only are there no 'disposable' troopers which is essentially what the old games boil down to, it also sounds like we're about to witness the birth of a whole new generation of reloaders. He even goes on to discuss 'mission critical NPCs' at another point, what the hell is WRONG with these people??? There shouldn't even BE any NPC's let alone MISSION CRITICAL ONES!!!

Something that immediately made me sick to the stomach was the use or the phrase 'strategic campaign map of america'. Seriously is he kidding? I watched the rest of the interview before judging too harshly but sure enough he can later be heard to say they wanted to create an 'ORIGIN STORY OF X-COM AND SETTING IT IN THE STATES?!?!?!'

I REALLY WANT TO CURSE RIGHT NOW!!!!!

Firstly there IS NO origin story for X-Com and there NEVER WILL BE! This game has some sort of nano-bots as enemy turrets and amorphourous blobs for lifeforms. XCOM uses lightning guns and such about 40 years before they even started research on laser weapons. Seriously? They just threw them all out once they beat the blobs did they? It's a sadly repeating cycle in the originals to be fair so currently there is ONE similarity between this and the REAL X-Com franchise.

Seriously though, aliens are attacking, lets set it in America... I HATE YOU GUYS SO MUCH! At least let US choose the continent, like in the originals, that way you even add some re-playability to the game with minimal extra coding! Why do aliens always land in America first anyway? What's wrong with the Sahara desert or Australian outback? No, I know, let's land our small forces in the largest, most developed and strongest military country in the world! No wodner they're going to lose!

You know what though, I think this guy said Elerium... Seriosuly, the alien 'fuel' is called Elerium... Think I've heard that somewhere before but can't put my finger on it... Seriosuly guys? Again you're proving you have no idea what you're doing! Elerium is mined on MARS and the only alien race using it is the Ethereals! You simply can't introduce some crazy globular foes into the timeline and then let them share fuel. I never thought I'd say it but having a recognisable term from the original games actually makes this game even WORSE!

Another interesting comment was that they were 'taking the pieces' of the original to make the new game... Where are they then? All they've shown us is a FPS... Where is the geoscape where we hunt down and destroy secret alien bases and UFOs? No wait we don't have one because they only want to take over America apparently... What about R&D? Well we know it's there and that we can recover alien artefacts for use by XCOM but how? do we have bases? He mentions 'headquarters' so my guess it that there won't be any expansion. I also highly doubt the aliens will ever assault that base so there's another aspect of the original gone. At least we have disposable soldiers though right? Oh wait, no, they're gone as well...

That kind of brings me to the last comment I wanted to quote. The guy said that they are 'trying to honour the classic game'...

Clearly he's never played the classic game has he or they wouldn't have managed to . . . . it up so much...

Thanks for posting the interview, I'm crazy hyped right now, the game looks awesome and I may be the only X-Com fan who thinks this IS X-Com. Albeit a different genre, this has X-Com written all over it for me, not that I want or even will get into a discussion of whether this is X-Com or not, just saying for me it is and looks wonderful :) Plus the success of this game will surely leave open the doors for a strategy game.

Can't wait for March 20th! :P

I'm crazy hyped right now, the game looks awesome and I may be the only X-Com fan who thinks this IS X-Com. Albeit a different genre, this has X-Com written all over it for me

You are not the only one and I think the same. Different genre? True in essence, but X-COM did not only have the first three iterations. X-COM already is trans-genre so if the game is good I don't mind the genre.

but it won't replace old X-Com.

Never. I'm hoping for a good supplement though.

On German vid; ZUM TEUFEL das war fenomenal!!! FAR more informative than any of the previous vids! So there are squad commands!

Different genre? True in essence, but X-COM did not only have the first three iterations. X-COM already is trans-genre so if the game is good I don't mind the genre.

Remember though, it's not about being a differnt genre, it's about being a different game. Alliance would have been a different genre but it would've followed the same story bible as the rest of the franchise. X-Com would've still been X-Com and the Patton vessel in the game would be the same one referenced multiple times in Interceptor. The enemies would have been the ethereals and even weapons would probably have been similar. R&D would almost certainly have been different and there would have presumably been limited human recruits but it was still the same game, just a different genre. XCOM however is a different game AND a different genre.

Remember I'm not saying that's a bad thing but I'm really getting sick of people trying to compare the two to each other. UFO and TFTD were like Potato and chips. They were essentially the same thing but chopped up and stuck in a new bag. Interceptor and enforcer are like mash as they're still the same product but someone has REALLY mixed things up. XCOM is like chocolate... There's no potato in it and you would never eat the two together. So can we PELASE stop comparing these games and just discuss it on it's own merits?

Another gameplay video. It's in German, but I don't think that will stop anyone.

Combat looks really interesting, does remind me of Mass Effect :) I saw a "create diversion" option on one of your allies :P

At the end of the trailer the trooper is sucked into a portal of some kind, so looks like these could be an Apocalypse-like invasion from another dimension.

At the end of the trailer the trooper is sucked into a portal of some kind, so looks like these could be an Apocalypse-like invasion from another dimension.

Could very well be that, or maybe something else, as an element of The Adrenaline Vault's E3 crew mentions in his coverage of the game:

And action isn